Fitchburg police hope to boost profile with Segway scooter - Se...

Police Chief Robert DeMoura said Monday that he wants to purchase an electric-powered Segway scooter in an effort to increase police visibility in the downtown. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Youth Advocate

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Jun 24, 2008
Ridiculous.
Tad R

Wellfleet, MA

#2 Jun 24, 2008
A Segway Scooter? 12mph,$6,000? Paid for by the community?

This is the first time I've thought anything Demouras decided on was idiotic. How could he possibly think this was even a remotely good idea?
J_in _Ward _1

Taunton, MA

#3 Jun 24, 2008
That another town bought one but hardly ever uses it tells you this isn't a good idea.
betsyross

Hebron, CT

#4 Jun 24, 2008
Why not get horses?
WOW

Beverly, MA

#5 Jun 24, 2008
OK so when the officer has to chase down someone that mugged a woman is he supposed to stop and chain up his segway and then go after the guy?

Also, doesnt a police officer have just as much presence when he is walking?

Maybe the community should be raising $6000 to send the officers to fit camp, since they are too lazy to walk.
doug

Lexington, MA

#6 Jun 24, 2008
Police Chief Robert DeMoura is a fool. His proposal suggests that he is totally out of tough with reality. The Segway is a $6000 over-priced toy that will do nothing to increase the effectiveness of the police force. DeMoura seems determined to prove that he is incompetent.

Fitchburg is struggling to pay its bills. It is extremely irresponsible to support the purchase of such a frivolous device. If the police budget is so high that they can afford such a ridiculous purchase, the city should be taking money away from the police and using it to pay other bills.

There are more effective and less expensive ways to be more visible in the communities. One way is to implement bicycle patrols.

Shouldn’t Police Chief Robert DeMoura be spending his time thinking of ways to reduce crime and make the police force more effective? If this is what he has come up with, I think we are all in for some tough times.
doug

Lexington, MA

#7 Jun 24, 2008
WOW wrote:
Maybe the community should be raising $6000 to send the officers to fit camp, since they are too lazy to walk.
It should be noted that police chiefs are more politicians than they are police officers. I seriously doubt that the actual police officers support getting Segways. It is more likely that they are all joking about DeMoura's proposal and ridiculing him for it. Of course they are not going to come out publicly and criticize the Chief - it could put their jobs at risk.

If there are officers who are too lazy to walk, the bike patrol could be effective in helping they lose weight. For $6000, 10-15 all-terrain bikes could be purchased. At worst, foot patrols would cost only the price of a new pair of shoes.
Whats next

Maynard, MA

#8 Jun 24, 2008
Are you kidding me!!!! If cops are not lazy enough. Get out a walk the beat, and loose some weight! Or is a Segway now a Union required piece of equipment.
Hey the city was able to find some cash, was it under Mylott's old desk, for some new cruisers, heck why not a Segway. Give the cops a excuse not to run after someone if need be. I can see the headline now... "Crook gets away, Segway ran out of batteries."
Get real FPD!
Riley Martin

United States

#9 Jun 24, 2008
betsyross wrote:
Why not get horses?
Isn't there enough $hit around the downtown area
Funny

Peabody, MA

#10 Jun 24, 2008
What a joke, a walking officer has more of a affect being able to stop and speak with people. 10-24 miles, I'm guessing more like 10, thats not to far.
WOW

Beverly, MA

#11 Jun 24, 2008
Foot Patrols is the way to go. Just because the convenience is out there doesnt mean its practical to purchase. I can just see the mayor and demoura having segway races down main street.
Hairy Potter

Providence, RI

#12 Jun 24, 2008
Another fine crop of FHS graduates respond...

1 - If community donations are used to pay for this then there is no impact to the city budget. I would expect that local businesses would be hit up for donations. Even if this were not the case, paying for tools to make officers more effective is money well spent.

2 - You people are questioning the effectiveness of the segway without facts.

+ The segway has a top speed of 12.5MPH. The average crack addict mugger will at best be able to do 11-14MPH for short distances. With a 24 mile range the segway would be able to chase him down.

+ Police presence is about the number of miles an officer can travel in a shift and how many people he/she can interract with. Its not about being fit...its about being not tired from walking 8 miles in 90 degree weather....

+ Who is more effective an officer with 8 miles of walking in the shift, 8 miles on a bike, or 8 miles on a segway?

3 - Chief DeMoura *IS* thinking up ways to reduce crime! He wants to put an officer on a Segway and have them to rigorously patrol the downtown area, and interract with the people that use the downtown area (who would no doubt report anything unusual).
Hairy Potter

Providence, RI

#13 Jun 24, 2008
Natick does not use theirs regularly because they dont have an area to patrol that it would be effective on...only the mall.

Fitchburg's downtown could be patrolled from the boulder all the way down to moron square without any trouble at all. You all try that on foot and tell me how a segway is a dumb idea!
Money Saver

AOL

#14 Jun 24, 2008
A bicycle does all of this as well and you don't have to waste $6,000 plus accessories. It also helps to keep you in shape as part of an exercise program encouraging neighborhood children to excercise as well along with walking in malls.
dick

Boston, MA

#15 Jun 24, 2008
If they want higher visabilty give them each a pair of stilts.
SRC

Rockport, MA

#16 Jun 24, 2008
Why not hula-hoops and a Uni-Cycle?
Another great idea born in the Burg...another great article from the S and E!!!!!
GO GIRL

Bronx, NY

#17 Jun 24, 2008
SRC wrote:
Why not hula-hoops and a Uni-Cycle?
Another great idea born in the Burg...another great article from the S and E!!!!!
the Burg is quite the circus act isn't it! and the S & E are the clowns that are laughed at.
tim

Bronx, NY

#18 Jun 24, 2008
ok if the chief got down to the basement he might find bikes. pedal power is cheap goes a long way or why not get scoots or golf carts in between 9 holes the chief can check out the great downtown
Hawk

Seekonk, MA

#19 Jun 24, 2008
"Another great idea born in the Burg"

No, they are being used by Police departments accross the Country. The article mentions regional usage based on the distibutors area.

Open your minds once in a while. ZERO costs to you and so hosile angst for what? Ever try one? If no, then you cannot speak to how they might interact at all.

Further, how fast do you think you can run? You won't be outrunning one any time soon!
judge and jury

Concord, CA

#20 Jun 24, 2008
HAHAHA we are cutting back on the budget and these guys are want to get a segway to tool around in??? get a god damn mountain bike

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chow down on chowder Sep 13 Dave 1
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Sep 11 whimmersmith 4,702
Wilfredo Pabon of Springfield admits stabbing C... (Apr '10) Sep 10 your one and only 33
Oxycodone shortage stressing patients (Feb '09) Sep 7 Baljenni 450
Billerica's next Town Meeting debate: eliminati... Sep 2 hammerhead 1
Review: Estate Stone Designs Aug 29 Helen Ware 1
Pastor: Con-man hustled church congregation wit... Aug 29 Allen Croft 1
•••
•••
•••

West Springfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••