Molestation case -- Longmeadow Man -- support Jessica's Law

Posted in the West Springfield Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Law-abiding Citizen

Manchester, NH

#2 Sep 23, 2008
I fully understand that action needs to be taken. However, I believe that everyone, citizens included, should understand the facts of each case prior to issuing comment. This child that you speak of was abducted, brutally assualted and eventually killed. NOT the same situation with this Norwich case. Get off your high horse and start looking at the facts before you put every kid the "sex offender" bucket!
Protect Children wrote:
It's nice to see that our judicial system actually works. We have to do more to keep child predators off the streets.
Please support Jessica's law.
Named in memory of Jessica Lunsford, who was abducted and sexually assaulted before being brutally murdered, "Jessica's Law" refers to the Jessica Lunsford Act passed in Florida which mandates a minimum sentence of 25 years and a maximum of life in prison for first-time child sex offenders.
----------
Courts: Bond increased in Colchester molestation case
----------
By GREG SMITH
Norwich Bulletin
Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 05:00 AM
----------
New London, Conn.— A Massachusetts man accused of molesting a young female relative was taken into custody Monday after a state prosecutor successfully argued for a bond increase.
Nicholas Rufo, 20, faces felony sexual assault charges and lives out of state, said state prosecutor John Gravalec-Pannone.
Gravalec-Pannone said Rufo had given the wrong address when he was initially arrested July 17 by state police in Colchester. He gave his parents’ address in Longmeadow, Mass., when he apparently is living with his girlfriend in Holyoke, Mass.
Rufo had been free on a $50,000 non-surety bond, which means he did not have to post any money to be released from custody.
“This is a significant change in circumstances for someone who is facing a minimum mandatory of 10 years,” Gravalec-Pannone said.“At this point, the victim is fearful.”
Public defender Peter Scillieri argued against the bond based in part on results of a psychiatric examination that show Rufo does not present a danger to the public, he said. That document was not made public.
Scillieri said the allegations against Rufo occurred between 2001 and 2005 and stopped.
“Since that time, he has never been in any trouble anywhere,” Scillieri said.
Judge Susan B. Handy, noting the seriousness of the charges, set bond at $50,000 cash or surety.
Rufo is charged with aggravated first-degree sexual assault, three counts risk of injury to a minor, third-degree sexual assault and fourth-degree sexual assault.
Protect Children

Lebanon, CT

#3 Sep 24, 2008
Information about child predators:

"The average child molester will molest fifty girls before being caught and convicted."

"Molesters known by the family or victim are the most common abusers."
http://registeredoffenderslist.org/blog/sex-o...

"The serial killer has the same personality characteristics as the sex offender against children"
-Dr. Mace Knapp, Nevada State Prison Psychologist.

•The typical offender is male, begins molesting by age 15, engages in a variety of deviant behavior, and molests an average of 117 youngsters, most of whom do not report the offense.
-Dr. Gene Abel in a National Institute of Mental Health Study.

Inmates who victimized children were less likely than other inmates to have a prior criminal record-nearly 1/3 of child victimizers had never been arrested prior to the current offense, compared to less than 20% of those who victimized adults.
--BJS Survey of State Prison Inmates, 1991.

• 3 in 10 child victimizers reported that they had committed their crimes against multiple victims: they were more likely than those who victimized adults to have had multiple victims.
-BJS Survey of State Prison Inmates, 1991.

• The behavior is highly repetitive, to the point of compulsion, rather than resulting from a lack of judgment.
-Dr. Ann Burges, Dr. Nicholas Groth, et al. in a study of imprisoned offenders.

I am aware of the facts, are you?
Child predators offend time and time again. Though these cases are different, they share similarities.

Jessica's law is about:
Establishing penalty enhancements for those found guilty of committing sexual offenses against children
Creating an integrated nationwide sex offender registry
Protecting the rights of crime victims

The man in this case repeatedly sexually assaulted the victim. One of the charges is aggravated first-degree sexual assault on a victim younger than 10 years old.

Maybe you should look in to this case more before you speak.
Cooler minds prevail

Manchester, NH

#4 Sep 24, 2008
Seems to me you are trying to convict this young man in the media. Why don't you let the courts do their job based on the evidence and what can be proven. Also seems to me that the victim is still alive and kicking and not dead like the Jessica Lunsford case. It doesn't seem like you are willing to settle for any justice less than a public execution of this young man... I can't recall the last time a court sentenced anyone to that particular punishemnt. It is also strange that the young man in question has not stooped to your level and tried to defend himself in the media. Always two sides to every story. I am sure you will keep all of us informed, unless of course the sentence is below your expected prediction.
Child Protector

East Hartford, CT

#5 Sep 24, 2008
The child rapist has signed a confession. It's publicly available.
NrwchMom

East Hartford, CT

#6 Sep 24, 2008
How come "Cooler minds" is advocating for a child molester? I've followed the story on this. The young man confessed...
a concerned parent

Elk Grove Village, IL

#7 Sep 24, 2008
I have also followed this case; this man has signed a confession. His own attorney concedes he has committed this crime. He molested a young girl repeatedly from the time she was 5 years old. Why does he deserve anything less than a public execution? People who attack our children in this way should not be afforded any courtesy or protection. He has not chosen to defend hiself in the media because he is guilty!
peacefulnation

East Hartford, CT

#8 Sep 24, 2008
As a survivor of sexual abuse,
I support any legislation, any act, that advocates for children and promises harsher penalties for offenders.
I have not followed this case specifically, but do agree that "people who attack our children in this way should not be afforded any courtesy or protection"
It seems that some people in this country are more concerned with the criminal's rights than they are concerned for the victim's of this vile type of crime!
God Bless.
goneaway

Westfield, MA

#9 Sep 25, 2008
The facts that arent being displayed in this thread is that it happened when this gentleman was around 14 years of age. Any psychologist will fully support the fact that a child at that age (yes, CHILD) is not fully developed mentally. Also, it says that a mental evaluation was performed and the doctor concluded that this young man was not a threat to himself or others in any way. If the judge let him off without raising the bail now dont you think this has to be the case? Sounds to me like we arent getting all the facts... can only mean the prosecuting side is just out with their knives and guns. Lets let the court decided based on all the facts.
Protect Children

Lebanon, CT

#10 Sep 25, 2008
goneaway wrote:
The facts that arent being displayed in this thread is that it happened when this gentleman was around 14 years of age. Any psychologist will fully support the fact that a child at that age (yes, CHILD) is not fully developed mentally. Also, it says that a mental evaluation was performed and the doctor concluded that this young man was not a threat to himself or others in any way. If the judge let him off without raising the bail now dont you think this has to be the case? Sounds to me like we arent getting all the facts... can only mean the prosecuting side is just out with their knives and guns. Lets let the court decided based on all the facts.
You neglected to mention that the young man was actually 17 years old when the last sexual assault occured. You can find this information and more at the New London CT Superior court. It is public record.
Even a 14 year old knows that raping a 5 year old child is wrong. A 17 year old man definately is aware that inserting his penis in to an 8 year old child is wrong.

Statistics show that child predators start assaulting children by the time they are 15 and continue their behavior, as it is a compulsion.

It says that a mental evaluation was performed and the doctor concluded that the criminal did not INDICATE anything that would suggest that he would be a harm to the community.

Are you so nieve to believe that sexual predators are actually truthful during these evaluations? Please.

Why don't you ask this child rapist to babysit for your children or nieces and nephew? I'm sure he would love to.
Protect Children

Lebanon, CT

#11 Sep 25, 2008
• The behavior is highly repetitive, to the point of compulsion, rather than resulting from a lack of judgment.
-Dr. Ann Burges, Dr. Nicholas Groth, et al. in a study of imprisoned offenders

•The typical offender is male, begins molesting by age 15, engages in a variety of deviant behavior, and molests an average of 117 youngsters, most of whom do not report the offense.
-Dr. Gene Abel in a National Institute of Mental Health Study.

It is shameful to advocate for child rapists.
Protect Children

Lebanon, CT

#12 Sep 25, 2008
http://www.norwichbulletin.com/homepage/x3906...

In this article from the Norwich Bulletin it clearly states:

When confronted with the allegations, police said Rufo admitted to the assaults, which occurred on regular weekend stays in Lebanon. The victim told police Rufo would invite her to play video games in his room, where many of the sexual assaults took place.

**The incidents occurred until Rufo was between the ages of 16 and 17 and the victim was 8, police said.**

hmmm... luring a 5 year old girl in to his bedroom with video games and then raping her. This seems like typical child predator behavior to me. He did this repeatadly on "regular weekend stays".

You can't spew lies when the truth is out there.
disgusted

Elk Grove Village, IL

#13 Sep 25, 2008
goneaway - you are clearly a complete ignoramus. If this 'gentleman' was a child when he committed these acts, why is he being tried as an adult by the court? Is it really your belief that a 14 year old does not know that holding a 5 year old child down and raping her is not wrong? Also, the judge did raise this mans bail; it is clear from the court records and prior articles that he was originally released on a non-surety bond, meaning he did not have to pay a bail, and at this last hearing, the judge ordered him held in custody on a 50K surety bond. The first article above states that this mans own attorney stated the sexual abuse took place between 2001-2005. If this man is 20 now, he would have been 17 in 2005. Also, regarless of whether 1 psychologist (who was, I'm sure PAID by the defendant for this opinion) feels this man is a risk to society, doesn't this monster deserve to be punished for what he has done to this innocent child? You should be ashamed for defending such a vile criminal. Get your facts straight before you open your mouth again.
Cooler minds prevail

Manchester, NH

#14 Sep 25, 2008
To DISGUSTED... We can thank the Kennedys and Micheal Skakel for the reason he is being tried as an adult in the state of CT. 14 year old takes golf club to neighbor and caught when he was 35. It is clear that some of the people posting have SOME of the facts... Here is another one... 3 girls in a family... 2 allegedly raped... common denomonator is MOM. Specifically her lack of supervision as SHE is the ONLY one common to both incidents... I sure hope Connecticut is watching her since the chance of 2 separtate incidences are extremely unlikely. I know I would not let her have any other girls brought into that house....
Lebanon, CT

#15 Sep 25, 2008
Cooler minds,

Let's get back to the issue at hand, which is the fact that this criminal is responsible for his actions and no one else. HE committed these vile, disgusting, unforgivable acts. He is a rapist, a pedophile. The part that is most disturbing is that you continue to advocate for him. Maybe you have a history of these same acts? Why else would you support him with such intensity?

You are trying to get the attention of the child rapist and on to someone else - the victim's family. How shameful. This behavior is appalling.

It is clear that you have no defense other than trying to slander others, i.e. the victim's family. How sad. How pathetic you and the rapist whom you support and advocate for are.

I certainly wouldn't let any young children around you or those who you advocate for, as you most definately support child rape.

Hopefully you have no young grandchildren... karma has a way of working itself out.

Also, to the "3 girls in a family... 2 allegedly raped". Where did you get this information? I have seen no mention of another case in the newspaper... it seems you are just spewing lies again in attempt to take the heat of the child predator..

Try as you may, justice will come. I hear that even hardened criminals don't take kindly to child rapists in prison.

Houston, TX

#16 Sep 25, 2008
COOLER MINDS -- it seems you are holding everyone but the child molestor responsible in this very sad case. This poor little girl will have to live with what has happen to her for the rest of her life. The man who did this to her needs to be held accountable for his actions. Everything says this man was 17 when the last rape occurred. How can you claim a 17 year old would not know that raping an 8 year old child is wrong? This has nothing to do with Michael Skakel or this victims mother. Hold Nicholas Rufo responsible. He is the sex offender, the petafile, the child predator who repeatedly violated and raped an innocent child. You talk of the victims mother -- what about the mother of Nicholas Rufo - what kind of parent could this person be to have raised a son who is a child rapist by the age of 14? I can only guess that you do not have any children, for anyone with a child would be sick over what has happen to this poor girl. We should all be thinking of the victim of this terrible crime, not of the sex offender who committed this terrible crime.
pagesmom

Houston, TX

#17 Sep 25, 2008
on another note -- I would love to stay updated on this case as I am originally from longmeadow and may be moving back soon. Anyone who has information on this case, your continued posts would be greatly appreciated. My family and I certaintly want to know who the sex offenders are in our neighborhood so we can keep our children safe from people like this.
Cooler minds prevail

Manchester, NH

#18 Sep 25, 2008
I am an advocate of letting the courts do their job and living with WHATEVER decision the COURT deems appropriate... Are all of the other posters here willing to accept the courts judgement, based on the evidence? I believe there are two sided to every story and will not be part of trying Nicholas Rufo in the media. As far as the mother of Nicholas Rufo, NO ABUSE HAPPENED on HER parental watch in Longmeadow!! I am told she was caught off guard on this like everyone else for the alleged activity in Lebanon CT. As far as the first allegation of abuse... hypothetically speaking, this would be by an uncle... and not prosecuted... Ain't the internet a wonderful thing!!! The cases should be kept separate.. and NOT having Nicholas tried for BOTH alleged and unfortunate events... Cooler minds prevail signing off and all can wait to see what happens in the real world - court in New London....
pagesmom

Houston, TX

#19 Sep 25, 2008
how do you know no abuse happen on the watch of Nicholas Rufo's mother? for all we know there are other victims out there who have not come forward yet (as is the case in most child predator cases). And even if no abuse did occur under her roof, she raised this child rapist. What kind of parenting job was done that her son thought it was OK to rape a 5 year old child when he was 14? Clearly his parents were completely inept. If my child committed such a horrific crime, I would first casterate them and then kill myself for having brought such a monster into this world.

I cannot respond to your other rant about an uncle as I am not familiar with what you are talking about. It is my understanding there is a signed confession in this case, so I am not sure you have your facts straight claiming this man is being charged with something an uncle has done?

I hope this man is prosecuted to the full extent of the law and gets the maximum sentence for his crime. If this were my little girl who was victimized by this petafile nothing less than the death penalty would do.(and that is how child molesters are punished in Texas)
pagesmom

Houston, TX

#20 Sep 25, 2008
and why do you keep saying 'allegations' and 'alleged activity'? did this man not CONFESS to this crime?
Lebanon, CT

#21 Sep 25, 2008
Cooler Minds:

Two sides to every story... hmmmm... that's something a rapist advocate would say.

1. Nicholas Rufo signed a confession admitting to vile acts of rape of a child under 10 years old. Anyone can get a copy of this confession at the New London CT Superior Court.

2. It is true the court will decide, and society is now made aware of this dangerous child predator who is still on the street, free on a 50K surety bond.

3. The mother of Nicholas Rufo obviously harmed him. What kind of a mother raises a son who is a child rapist by the age of 14?? Where was she? How come she didn't know what was going on with her son?? What are the values that she taught him? To prey on young children.

4. Please cite the internet source where "hypothetically speaking, this would be by an uncle... and not prosecuted... Ain't the internet a wonderful thing!!!" Where is the source? Please provide a link. If you do not provide this source it will be apparent that you are spewing more lies to take the focus off the rapist.

5. The remainder of your rant is totally off topic and irrelevent to the issue at hand.
The issue at hand is Nicholas Rufo repeatedly molesting and raping a very young girl.
He will be punished as seen fit by the State of Connecticut.

6. This is how the State of Connecticut decided to sentence a child predator this week:, Robert J. Sharp was sentenced to eight years in prison for groping two young girls. Because of his age and health, Judge Susan B. Handy said she appropriately considered it a life sentence.
He was sentenced to 8 years for groping 2 young girls.

It seems that the State of Connecticut has harsh penalties for child rapists.

It will be interesting to see what punishment Nicholas Rufo is sentenced to for repeatedly sexually assaulting a young girl over a 5 year period.

What goes around, comes around.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Springfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Church boots AA group over gay weddings 50 min Wondering 36
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 9 hr John 1,168
'Horned' man guilty in triple slaying Mon Hamilton Burger Esq 12
Review: Gaudinos Towing And Auto Repair Sep 26 tekeniohkwarli 1
PD: Phoenix girl, 12, reportedly kidnapped on w... Sep 25 OMG 1
Obama accepts Nobel Peace Prize, says war somet... (Dec '09) Sep 25 Swedenforever 18
3 say Pittsfield mayor misled council (Aug '12) Sep 25 Praxis33 70

West Springfield Jobs

West Springfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

West Springfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in West Springfield

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]