Copiague man to preserve anchor from ...

Copiague man to preserve anchor from 1886 shipwreck

There are 19 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 14, 2008, titled Copiague man to preserve anchor from 1886 shipwreck. In it, Newsday reports that:

In three decades of scuba diving off the South Shore, Patrick Rooney of Copiague has visited one of his favorite wrecks, the Cunard liner Oregon, more than a thousand times.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

mastic born

Edison, NJ

#1 Jul 14, 2008
very cool. Nice to see someone trying to keep the history of Long Island alive.

Since: Apr 08

AOL

#2 Jul 14, 2008
IF ANYONE COULD PULL THIS JOB OFF IT WOULD BE PAT ROONEY. HE CURRENTLY HAS OVER 100 DIVES TO THE ANDREA DORIA, & A COLLECTION OF ARTIFACTS FROM WRECK VALLEY, THAT WOULD BUG THE EYES RIGHT OUT OF YOUR HEAD!!!..... GREAT FIND PAT...... RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!!
Joey

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Jul 15, 2008
Patrick, It's been along time since the days @ St John's. Glad to see you kept on diving. Great find.
Jim

Saint Augustine, FL

#4 Jul 15, 2008
Mr. Rooney might want to think about getting some professional conservation help with his recovery. Iron and saltwater produce some really interesting effects, none of them good. Electrolytic reduction is a good way to insure that all of the chlorides have been removed. There are some good sources on the web on how this is done here is one http://nautarch.tamu.edu/class/anth605/File0....
Jim Sinclair
guild

Jim Thorpe, PA

#5 Jul 15, 2008
Congrads Patrick, I did some sport diving on LI when i lived there but nothing to this scale.. Good luck and i hopw we get to see pictures when it is done
mr stretch

United States

#7 Jul 15, 2008
"he's dived the wreck hundreds of times"..Gee, you just HAD TO HAVE that anchor huh? all the other goodies you looted weren't good enough?
Paying Attention

Newark, NJ

#8 Jul 15, 2008
Oh please all you jealous people. It isn't like he is fidning stuff and selling it off. It sure seems to me he enjoys what he does and I hsve to say, what a cool hobby. If he was greedy, he'd be selling the stuff, not donating it. Museums buy things from people to show in their museums. Thank you Mr. Rooney, all that work AND you having it restored only to donate it. What a great guy
Chris

Corona, NY

#9 Jul 15, 2008
Very cool Pat
John

Southampton, NY

#10 Jul 15, 2008
A couple of points.
The Oregon has been dived by sport divers for over 30 years, and this anchor went unnoticed until about 6 years ago, when viewed for a certain angle. Many divers still could not recognize it when it was pointed out to them. More people will see it now then every would of in situ.
secondly, I believe the term grave robber would imply that it was a tomb. Since the Oregon sank without loss of life on March 14, 1886 this hardly appplies.
Mike

Hillsborough, NC

#11 Jul 15, 2008
Way to go Pat,another awesome find.
kelly

Scarsdale, NY

#12 Jul 15, 2008
way to go daddy,you finally did it..love you bella
Jenny

Scarsdale, NY

#13 Jul 15, 2008
Congratulations Dad
Karen S from Copiague

AOL

#14 Jul 16, 2008
Hi Pat and Sue,
Congratualtions on your find!!!!
See you soon!!
Doug

Elizabeth, NJ

#15 Jul 17, 2008
Congrats to everyone involved. This is a great peice of history and can't wait for everyone to be able see it. Great job Pat.
Brian and Tracy

Bellerose, NY

#19 Jul 24, 2008
Hey, Pat, Congrats!!!! So cool to see! Let us know after you restore it so your buddies Jason and Justin can check it out! We love you guys!!
jjjr

Smithtown, NY

#20 Jul 24, 2008
Now that the anchor is out of the sea, the real job begins! This amature must call the conservitors to save this anchor, It will probibally rot in front of his house and in a couple of years people will be saying "what the heck is that pile of rust for?" wait until he gets the bill for this!
Thomas DiMarco

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#21 Jul 26, 2008
I have known this man many years. It took brass nuts to complete this project. What he has achieved is a dream that most people can not understand. He and the crew made History. Findings lost in the sea should be brought to the surface for everyone to see.
Thomas DiMarco

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#22 Jul 26, 2008
Go Rowdy and Mr.Stetch need to play with something besides themselves
MC Square

Brooklyn, NY

#24 Aug 30, 2008
Thomas DiMarco wrote:
I have known this man many years. It took brass nuts to complete this project. What he has achieved is a dream that most people can not understand. He and the crew made History. Findings lost in the sea should be brought to the surface for everyone to see.
Tommy D lived of Wilson????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are Suffolk County Courts so incompetent an... (Jul '06) Jul 28 heynowpeople 93
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Jul 27 El Cacique 1,387
Home Instead Happauge fired me After Report irr... Jul 24 Home Instead 1
Suffolk TB Sanitorium, Selden, NY (Apr '09) Jul 22 Albert 7
Murder 1995 - 1996 (Mar '07) Jul 22 WolfOfWallStreet 16
ILoveKickboxing- Lake Grove Jul 22 Lucy 2
News Home invasion suspects plead not guilty (Feb '07) Jul 20 Eric calace 70
More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Sayville Mortgages