Verizon Fios vs Optimum on line
semre

Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

#21 Sep 25, 2009
Just got my Optimum yesterday and its great so far. The channels look the same on HD. Dont know what everyone is talking about, but its exactly the same. The only difference is the $$$ Fios charges. My internet is faster (surprised me)with the boost. Folks, Verizon charges MAD taxes. Look on your bill, it's the dumbest taxes that never stays the same.The bill will be different every month. I cant beleive I have been paying more $ for something thats identical.Just another note, do your research on what Fiber is. Its the same as all the other cables, difference is that Fios does'nt have coax cable in it. Its the same my people. Advertisement is a big indusrty, do your homework!
planemusic

Paramus, NJ

#22 Oct 9, 2009
I was thinking of switching to Verizon FIOS also however what I don't see mentioned here is optimum has free PC security software that is worth $60.
Verizon charges for their PC security software.
Another very important feature with Optimum TV is you can receive many channels, including HD channels, with the new LCD/plasma TVs WITHOUT a box. I have connected the same TV to my sons FIOS cable and get nothing. Therefore you must have a box for every TV on FIOS. I have 4 TVs in the house. I have a box on one and the others are connected directly to the Cablevision cable. After reading these posts I'm staying with cablevision.
some guy

Flushing, NY

#23 Oct 10, 2009
JoC wrote:
Verizon just knocked on my door in Hauppauge area and i'm thinking about switching. for at least the next 2 years the price will be a couple of bucks cheaper for very similar package even after their taxes. The Multiroom DVR will be a plus and all the channels being avail on 2 other sets with adapters. Somebody sell me on whether I should pull the trigger or not and leave optimum.
i think you should if you havent yet you wont be dissapointed i love fios had it for 6 months now the picture quality is so much better even on the old tv's and the internet is so much faster and they gave me a free router to connect my laptops its actually the modem and router in one also question do you have a bj's wholesale membership if you do go to the bj's in islandia off exit 58 and talk to the fios rep their ask for william he's the one who talked to me about fios he was really helpful and professional he gave me a quote and calculated the taxes for me and resolved all the questions i had about fios and i signed up with him also if you get it there he'll give you a $50 bj's giftcard on top of every other incentive they give you for signing up he was really nice didn't feel pressured to sign up with him he even followed up the day after installation with me to make sure everything went alright with the install so if theres anyone to sell you it would be him he's a good guy.
robert

Bridgeport, CT

#24 Oct 10, 2009
OPTIMUM Online Boost blows I have over 2 years now with 3 gaming pcs here ways speeds jump real bad from 25 to 6 mbp think cable GET WROST USE 7days a week very unhappy cable the cable guy come to my house past 2 years over 40 times ways said it the cable place give speeds problems check lines said the lines or good in my home to much money good bye cable
NoHonorInStandin gIdle

Owings Mills, MD

#25 Oct 11, 2009
planemusic wrote:
I was thinking of switching to Verizon FIOS also however what I don't see mentioned here is optimum has free PC security software that is worth $60.
Verizon charges for their PC security software.
Another very important feature with Optimum TV is you can receive many channels, including HD channels, with the new LCD/plasma TVs WITHOUT a box. I have connected the same TV to my sons FIOS cable and get nothing. Therefore you must have a box for every TV on FIOS. I have 4 TVs in the house. I have a box on one and the others are connected directly to the Cablevision cable. After reading these posts I'm staying with cablevision.
Umm, who chooses a high speed online carrier by the software offered? Usually, they'll try and give you mcafee or some other garbage. Those "$60" software packages they give out for free, can also be gotten for free at almost any state university.

When talking internet service, go by what you think you'll need. Cablevision bandwidth slows down during peak hours and has a low upload bandwidth. Verizon fios does not suffer that issue. So if you're only going to be doing some minor web browsing, go with whichever is cheapest. If you plan on doing web downloads and uploads or if you plan on hosting a website on a home based machine, then go with Fios as they offer superior web services.

Television services are generally the same with both unless you are planning on watching HD programming. Contrary to what other posters have said, the signal bandwidth difference between Fios HD TV and Cablevision HD TV is noticeable if you look for it. Cablevision uses less bandwidth on their HD programming to compensate for cabling and hardware limitations. Fios does not have these limitations and if you use an expensive HD TV you will see the difference. If you use an inexpensive HD TV, well you get what you pay for and you probably won't notice any difference.
Dan

Brooklyn, NY

#26 Oct 23, 2009
WTF.

Somebody lay it out there.....I know with optimum the triple play ends after a year..what about verizon?
some guy

Flushing, NY

#27 Oct 23, 2009
what verizon does is your contract is for 1 year only but they guarantee their price for two years after two years whatever promos they have at the time you are able to jump on them for another two years.
HBC

Bronx, NY

#28 Nov 25, 2009
brian wrote:
Have had fios for two years and my contract is up. Six months ago verizon gave me $30 off per month for my bill but that is expiring. Called to see if they wanted to extend or offer anything else and got a big fat "NO". So out of principle am giving opt a try. Seems cheaper, no charge for boxes, free dvr for a year, boost for free, and a lot less b.s fees. Only charges are $40 to keep my phone number and $9.95 for install.Will save over $400 in first year then I will decide if I like. I really was pretty happy with verizon accept all the little fees but they dont want to give me a break so f 'em. see what else is out there. finally at least there are alternatives
I am going through the same thing only with cablevision not Verizon. I have had Optimum online for years .(Eversince cable came to long Island. I have had VOIP since it first became available. I only used Cable vision for all three services when they started to offer triple play. Well for the past two years (since my first year under triple play was up)they have raised the price. At first when I called them and sid I was going to switch to Verizon they did something to lower my bill. Not as low as it was but yhey made an effort to give me something. This year I asked them to do something because my service went from $99 to $ 135,(to this year)
$159.00 per month. Verizon is giving me Phone , cable and internet for $111.00 including taxes and they are giving me a $150.00 rebate which will bring my first year down to $99.00. They also guarantee to keep the price (the $111.00 mo) for the second year. I have heard that their picture quality is better then Optimum and their internet speed is definitely faster. I have seen a continual decline in internet speeds with cable vision over the past few years. I will try Fios and if I have to break the 1 year contract the rebate will cover most of the cancellation fee ($179) I will only cancel if the service is bad and if it is I will take them to small claims court and I guarantee it won't cost me a dime to get out. I think the only way to find out for sure is to try fios. Both companies are so full of it. Their advertisements are so much BS they both tell the same lies about each other. The one thing that worries me is that Verizon takes 6 hours to install.
Oldtimer

Newark, NJ

#29 Jan 2, 2010
I am a Cablevision customer, OOL, IO, 2 DVR's and pay 150 or so a month.
I too will be calling Fios today to talk to them about any promotions, CV just lost foodnetwork so I am sure VZ will be getting alot of calls.
lets see if CV can sweeten the pot a bit, offer a free DVR or something.
Pete

Landing, NJ

#30 Jan 2, 2010
How come you can't get fios in brookhaven?
joe

Asbury Park, NJ

#31 Jan 3, 2010
my friend had fios, hated it and wanted to switch back to optimum. alas he could not, do to verizons extreme fees for canceling their services. optimum in all its glory said "hey, will pay the extermination fee AND upgrade you with dvr for free". caller id can be seen on a caller id compatable phone (not just the tv). both of their services are good, but what makes optimum better is their spectacular customer service. VIVA LA OPTIMUM.
Paul

Bronx, NY

#32 Jan 15, 2010
HBC wrote:
<quoted text> I am going through the same thing only with cablevision not Verizon.... Well for the past two years (since my first year under triple play was up)they have raised the price. At first when I called them and sid I was going to switch to Verizon they did something to lower my bill. Not as low as it was but they made an effort to give me something. This year I asked them to do something because my service went from $99 to $ 135,(to this year)$159.00 per month.
Verizon is giving me Phone, cable and internet for $111.00 including taxes and they are giving me a $150.00 rebate which will bring my first year down to $99.00. They also guarantee to keep the price (the $111.00 mo) for the second year. I have heard that their picture quality is better then Optimum and their internet speed is definitely faster. I have seen a continual decline in internet speeds with cable vision over the past few years. I will try Fios and if I have to break the 1 year contract the rebate will cover most of the cancellation fee ($179)... I think the only way to find out for sure is to try fios.
FiOS is not offered on our area yet. I just looked online.

I have had cable for a few years. We just got hit with another increase. Here is our bill breakdown (rounded $):

CableTV/IO:$60
$30 -family cable
$14 -2 boxes & remotes
$12 -IO package
$4 -tax
OO:$45
OV:$35
---------
total:$140 (+/-)

Now they are bumping CableTV/IO "Family" from #30 to $56 starting Jan 2010.
alex

Flushing, NY

#33 Jan 15, 2010
im glad i stayed with fios i still have my hgtv and food network for my wife. i dont know why so many people complain about fios its such a great service the picture quality is amazing internet is faster than ool phone? ehh its just a phone i rarely use it as it is my wife has a home bussiness thats why i have it but she says it sounds clearer another plus it doesnt die if the modem goes out plus back-up battery.its truly ahead of its time with optimum i was paying $140 a month for the triple play with basic channels no premiums and no boxes with fios im paying $160 a month for 7 boxes and basic channels plus showtime and they gave me a free mini laptop i opted for the $300 credit toward the computer i wanted. im not going to say it was pretty, the first 4 months i had some billing issues which they always took care of but even after all that i still wouldnt go back to cablevision.
Janusz

Wappingers Falls, NY

#34 Jan 17, 2010
I have been an Optimum customer for 11 years (CABLE AND INTERNET SERVICE) and I contacted Optimum to see if they could offer me a lower price. After explaining to the sales person and then their supervisor that FIOS had a lower price and Food TV and HGTV channels had been dropped and were big in my family, they said they could not do anything to give me a promotion cost or reduce any costs. I explained I would be cancelling them and their reply was "We are sorry to hear that".
HBC wrote:
<quoted text> I am going through the same thing only with cablevision not Verizon. I have had Optimum online for years .(Eversince cable came to long Island. I have had VOIP since it first became available. I only used Cable vision for all three services when they started to offer triple play. Well for the past two years (since my first year under triple play was up)they have raised the price. At first when I called them and sid I was going to switch to Verizon they did something to lower my bill. Not as low as it was but yhey made an effort to give me something. This year I asked them to do something because my service went from $99 to $ 135,(to this year)
$159.00 per month. Verizon is giving me Phone , cable and internet for $111.00 including taxes and they are giving me a $150.00 rebate which will bring my first year down to $99.00. They also guarantee to keep the price (the $111.00 mo) for the second year. I have heard that their picture quality is better then Optimum and their internet speed is definitely faster. I have seen a continual decline in internet speeds with cable vision over the past few years. I will try Fios and if I have to break the 1 year contract the rebate will cover most of the cancellation fee ($179) I will only cancel if the service is bad and if it is I will take them to small claims court and I guarantee it won't cost me a dime to get out. I think the only way to find out for sure is to try fios. Both companies are so full of it. Their advertisements are so much BS they both tell the same lies about each other. The one thing that worries me is that Verizon takes 6 hours to install.
cdar

Brooklyn, NY

#35 Jan 27, 2010
I've used both in the past. OO was fine at the time. One thing, my IP address never changed however they did lock down the http ports, I'd have to use https ports to access my home system from outside. VZ is wide open with no constraints although my IP changes every four days (I don't pay for the business plan) so I have to plan ahead if I need to access my home systems (which I do frequently due to my job). Dollar for dollar, they're the same IMO, it comes down to performance which I will say VZ is faster with the internet. OO on the other hand offers free wireless hotspots located throughout northern NJ.
mike g

Trenton, NJ

#38 Feb 16, 2010
io sucks, pic, internet, and phone
Bob

Atlantic City, NJ

#39 Mar 19, 2010
Verizon is just the old copper cable being used and is a dialup. I had DirecTV and it was terrible, the system would go down every time there was a storm. With Optimum Cablevision that I have now, the system rarely goes out. I recommend Optimum Cable triple play.
tired of

Bronxville, NY

#40 Mar 19, 2010
Thinking of changing so I don't have to hear" never on fios never on satelite" 6000 times a day anymore its like living in a cult . Also the dolans are anti union greedy villains hiring Tom suozzi for millions a couple of days after they asked there employees at newsday to take a 10 to 15% pay cut because of their financial trouble . They are not friends of long island .
paul

United States

#41 Mar 20, 2010
Bob wrote:
Verizon is just the old copper cable being used and is a dialup. I had DirecTV and it was terrible, the system would go down every time there was a storm. With Optimum Cablevision that I have now, the system rarely goes out. I recommend Optimum Cable triple play.
please don't misinform the people when they look at your post they're going to think what your talking about is fios and fios is truly fiber optics to your doorstep not from a pole all three services work through fiber optics so there's no copper being used except the coax cable inside your home, fios is far more superior to cablevision I can't believe people still listen to these io commercials and recite them as they were facts come on people have some common sense its a cablevision commercial of course their not going to say fios is wonderful.
Dave

Croton On Hudson, NY

#42 Mar 25, 2010
If I switch to FiOS I will save $40 a month since my Optimum Triple play has expired. That's $960 over the course of the 2 year Verizon contract. I can also pay my wireless bill at the same time which is nice because I use Verizon. I can't yet figure out if it's worth it and if I'm willing to go through the headache of switching my entire house over. I hear the internet is about the same, Optimum has better TV and FiOS has better phone. I'll decide by next week I suppose.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Sayville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Solo 99 Cents parking lot in Central Islip (Oct '09) 32 min DEPORT THE SPANISH 19
all drownings (Jun '07) 1 hr Eleanor 63
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 17 hr oneear69 121,925
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Fri Jewel_and_Kaymac k 1,492
News Town of Islip OKs bonds for animal shelter, air... Oct 19 USS LIBERTY 4
Islandia Music Thread Oct 19 Little Stuart 3
Looking for female american bulldog to breed with! (Jan '12) Oct 18 John Boy 61

West Sayville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Sayville Mortgages