Obama orders 30,000 more troops to Af...

Obama orders 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan, pledges to begi...

There are 49 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Dec 2, 2009, titled Obama orders 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan, pledges to begi.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Declaring "our security is at stake," President Barack Obama ordered an additional 30,000 U.S. troops into the long war in Afghanistan on Tuesday night, but balanced the buildup with a pledge to an impatient nation to begin withdrawing American forces in 18 months.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Dec 2, 2009
Although I oppose sending more troops, and feel that the President has failed so far in his term, at least he acknowledged that we attacked the wrong country (Irag) which is something the former President would not do.
We are at least in the country that the terrorist came from, and believed to still be operating from.
I'm not sure how many other nations are still supporting this however, since they objected to us attacking Iraq to begin with knowing what we knew(it was the wrong country) and we have occupied that country for years without any type of exit plan.
Hopefully, this President can accomplish some closure and get our troops home sooner and instead of later, and start working on our country being respected in the world again
Stamos

New Port Richey, FL

#4 Dec 2, 2009
Winston Churchill, June 4, 1940: "we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" for 18 months.

There is ZERO chance we will win with this Moron as the CIC. Nothing like giving the enemy a window of opportunity. How long will it take to teach 30,000 troops how to administer a Miranda Warning?

The best case is that the military command somehow minimizes the number of lost heros until Jan 21, 2013.
Stamos

New Port Richey, FL

#5 Dec 2, 2009
Jim wrote:
Although I oppose sending more troops, and feel that the President has failed so far in his term, at least he acknowledged that we attacked the wrong country (Irag) which is something the former President would not do.
We are at least in the country that the terrorist came from, and believed to still be operating from.
I'm not sure how many other nations are still supporting this however, since they objected to us attacking Iraq to begin with knowing what we knew(it was the wrong country) and we have occupied that country for years without any type of exit plan.
Hopefully, this President can accomplish some closure and get our troops home sooner and instead of later, and start working on our country being respected in the world again
http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictu res/2009/01/31/mn-iraq-vote-ba g_0499739181.jpg
Stamos

New Port Richey, FL

#6 Dec 2, 2009
blow em off the map

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Dec 2, 2009
It's great to see or Nobel Peace winner can't make a decision. If Bush were to do this people would be all over him. I hate to watch an American president fail so miserably, but to all you liberals.....I TOLD YOU SO.....Lunch bomb the #$%@ out of Afganistan I don't know about you people but i would rather see a million innocent (there aren't that many) then one US soldier.....
I say

Waltham, MA

#8 Dec 2, 2009
Stamos wrote:
Winston Churchill, June 4, 1940: "we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" for 18 months.
There is ZERO chance we will win with this **** as the CIC. Nothing like giving the enemy a window of opportunity. How long will it take to teach 30,000 troops how to administer a Miranda Warning?
The best case is that the military command somehow minimizes the number of lost heros until Jan 21, 2013.
"In a statement released by McChrystal shortly before the speech, the general praised the strategy review and said that he now had the necessary resources to reverse the Taliban’s momentum.“The Afghanistan-Pakistan review led by the President has provided me with a clear military mission and the resources to accomplish our task,” McChrystal said.“The clarity, commitment and resolve outlined in the President’s address are critical steps toward bringing security to Afghanistan and eliminating terrorist safe havens that threaten regional and global security.”

http://washingtonindependent.com/67136/specia...

Wow, gee, should we listen to the Generals or not? Of course, now you're in a bind! You're one person Obama has put in the corner with this strategy. He's done everything you want but you can't afford to agree with him!
I say

Waltham, MA

#10 Dec 2, 2009
blow em off the map wrote:
It's great to see or Nobel Peace winner can't make a decision. If Bush were to do this people would be all over him. I hate to watch an American president fail so miserably, but to all you liberals.....I TOLD YOU SO.....Lunch bomb the #$%@ out of Afganistan I don't know about you people but i would rather see a million innocent (there aren't that many) then one US soldier.....
Fall for shiny images much?

As your Commander-in-Chief, I owe you a mission that is clearly defined, and worthy of your service. That is why, after the Afghan voting was completed, I insisted on a thorough review of our strategy.

Let me be clear: there has never been an option before me that called for troop deployments before 2010, so there has been no delay or denial of resources necessary for the conduct of the war. Instead, the review has allowed me ask the hard questions, and to explore all of the different options along with my national security team, our military and civilian leadership in Afghanistan, and with our key partners.

Given the stakes involved, I owed the American people — and our troops — no less

Let me be clear: there has never been an option before me that called for troop deployments before 2010, so there has been no delay or denial of resources necessary for the conduct of the war.
y-o-y

Maynard, MA

#11 Dec 2, 2009
I say wrote:
<quoted text>
Fall for shiny images much?
As your Commander-in-Chief, I owe you a mission that is clearly defined, and worthy of your service. That is why, after the Afghan voting was completed, I insisted on a thorough review of our strategy.
Let me be clear: there has never been an option before me that called for troop deployments before 2010, so there has been no delay or denial of resources necessary for the conduct of the war. Instead, the review has allowed me ask the hard questions, and to explore all of the different options along with my national security team, our military and civilian leadership in Afghanistan, and with our key partners.
Given the stakes involved, I owed the American people — and our troops — no less
Let me be clear: there has never been an option before me that called for troop deployments before 2010, so there has been no delay or denial of resources necessary for the conduct of the war.
Obama says these troops will deploy by fastest means possible.

Well let me be clear - deploying troops to a theater of war takes a long lead time. Preparation and training are key. While it is probably true that there were no calls for deployments before 2010, a 3 month delay means 3 months in which the alerted units are shorted vital training time. And now the deployment cycle is going to be sped up because he's trying to cover his tail? Guess who suffers to make him look better?
Stamos

New Port Richey, FL

#12 Dec 2, 2009
A rapid deployment of 30 thousand troops with a concrete withdraw date shortly thereafter sends a
clear message to Taliban and al-Qaeda forces that now is a good time for a vacation. What fool would engage the surge troops when he has the option of riding out the surge? Now may be the perfect time for that winter vacation in sunny Dubai. Terrorist may be many things, but they are not stupid.

Based on their stated goals and years spent planning the attack on 9/11 it’s apparent that the Islamist terrorists do not share Obama's “fast food” mindset in their quest to rule the world.

Poor Obama. If only Gen. McChrystal hadn’t leaked his request for 40 thousand troops to win the war. If only the news, that Obama had not met with the general in 100 days to seriously discuss strategy could have been suppressed. If not for the general, Obama would not have been forced to finally announce his West Point contradiction -- otherwise known as his Afghanistan plan.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,...
I say

Waltham, MA

#13 Dec 2, 2009
y-o-y wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama says these troops will deploy by fastest means possible.
Well let me be clear - deploying troops to a theater of war takes a long lead time. Preparation and training are key. While it is probably true that there were no calls for deployments before 2010, a 3 month delay means 3 months in which the alerted units are shorted vital training time. And now the deployment cycle is going to be sped up because he's trying to cover his tail? Guess who suffers to make him look better?
So what, they were playing dice sitting around the barracks? What do you think they are there for? Don't think our Troops are ready? We don't train our troops until we know exaclty when they are deploying? Nice try, our troops are AT THE READY AT ALL TIMES!
I say

Waltham, MA

#14 Dec 2, 2009
Stamos wrote:
A rapid deployment of 30 thousand troops with a concrete withdraw date shortly thereafter sends a
clear message to Taliban and al-Qaeda forces that now is a good time for a vacation. What fool would engage the surge troops when he has the option of riding out the surge? Now may be the perfect time for that winter vacation in sunny Dubai. Terrorist may be many things, but they are not stupid.
Based on their stated goals and years spent planning the attack on 9/11 it’s apparent that the Islamist terrorists do not share Obama's “fast food” mindset in their quest to rule the world.
Poor Obama. If only Gen. McChrystal hadn’t leaked his request for 40 thousand troops to win the war. If only the news, that Obama had not met with the general in 100 days to seriously discuss strategy could have been suppressed. If not for the general, Obama would not have been forced to finally announce his West Point contradiction -- otherwise known as his Afghanistan plan.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,...
Poor Stamos, the strategy is a US strategy, yes we would welcome assistance, our 68K troops are there NOW and need this support. Would you like to leave our troops there now in danger? You don;t sem to care much for them! What would you do in Afghanistan genius?
Stamos

New Port Richey, FL

#15 Dec 2, 2009
I say wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor Stamos, the strategy is a US strategy, yes we would welcome assistance, our 68K troops are there NOW and need this support. Would you like to leave our troops there now in danger? You don;t sem to care much for them! What would you do in Afghanistan genius?
I would have responded to the General's request immediately and have given him the troops and tools needed to accomplish his objectives.
You Liberals have never seen a war you didn't want to lose. Most of you Leftist detest the military and what it represents! Our current CIC not only is a leftist... he's beyond left! Your utopian dreams of Kumbaya, and give peace a chance are in reality, just that... dreams! This man and those of you who support him have not the first clue of what you are doing! Everything is about a political agenda and how to move it forward. Appeasement and disregard for evil when it stares you in the face will be your downfall and disastrous! Obama couldn't lead a troop of Boy Scouts!!!
Florida

Tampa, FL

#16 Dec 2, 2009
Obama's escalating fascist global war scemes are full of lies, bull and fraud...

Like John Kerry Quoting "I voted for it, before I voted against it"...

Obama sending troops to die in Afghanistan then reversing himself and withdrawing troops... Lives that can't be replaced and whom have... No Hope and No Change...

Liberalism is a Disease and a Mental Disorder.

Just more of the same with No Hope and No Change...

OBAMA LIES... SOLDIERS DIE!!!

The WarMongers of Hateful Liberalism

The Arm and Hammer Poison of Liberalism

Since: Nov 08

Cologne- Germany

#17 Dec 2, 2009
Are there American Christians around the corner in Topix forum?
If yes
Kindly confront me.
i will die as an thiest.
My wife is a Christian..

I wish those 3000 innocent kids read my views.
War is non-christian and Obama is a person who behaves as human
Zappa

Mamaroneck, NY

#18 Dec 2, 2009
Ramafuchs wrote:
Are there American Christians around the corner in Topix forum?
If yes
Kindly confront me.
i will die as an thiest.
My wife is a Christian..
I wish those 3000 innocent kids read my views.
War is non-christian and Obama is a person who behaves as human
"There's a move in Psalm 137 from thoughts of paying tithes to thoughts of paying back. A move if you will from worship to war. A move in other words from the worship of the God of creation, to war against those whom God created. And I want you to notice very carefully the next move. One of the reasons this psalm is rarely read in its entirety because it is a move that spotlights the insanity of the cycle of violence and the cycle of hatred.

Look at the verse, Verse 9:'Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rocks.' The people of faith, by the rivers of Babylon, how should we sing the Lord's song if I forget thee? The people of faith have moved from the hatred of armed enemies, these soldiers who captured the King, those soldiers who slaughtered his sons and put his eyes out, the soldiers who sacked the city, burned their towns, burned the temple, burned their towers. They moved from the hatred of armed enemies to the hatred of unarmed innocents. The babies. The babies. Blessed are they who dash your babies' brains against a rock. And that, my beloved, is a dangerous place to be."
Stamos

New Port Richey, FL

#19 Dec 2, 2009
Florida wrote:
Obama's escalating fascist global war scemes are full of lies, bull and fraud...
Like John Kerry Quoting "I voted for it, before I voted against it"...
Obama sending troops to die in Afghanistan then reversing himself and withdrawing troops... Lives that can't be replaced and whom have... No Hope and No Change...
Liberalism is a Disease and a Mental Disorder.
Just more of the same with No Hope and No Change...
OBAMA LIES... SOLDIERS DIE!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =4LsSppYxSHkXX
The WarMongers of Hateful Liberalism
The Arm and Hammer Poison of Liberalism
What more proof does one need to expose a liar???

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#20 Dec 2, 2009
why didn't they send rambo?
Beverly Gunn

New Port Richey, FL

#21 Dec 2, 2009
A military mother's take on the president's speech.

The stage was set at West Point last night and the backdrop was the Corps of Cadets, who served as props for the President's speech. It was not a proud moment. I saw all those young men and women, who are chosen and a part of the top ten percent of the greatest minds of their generation, and I wept.

To use them as props seemed to me to serve as the worst insult ever offered by a leader of a nation. Yet, as I pondered the speech, the audience, their circumspect behavior, and the fatigue that washed over many of these young folks, I wondered if the White House understood the length of the cadets duty day, for it wasn't over after the speech. These fine young people left the speech and got back to being serious cadets, studying for upcoming semester exams, and finishing projects.

The days rarely end for these young people. Many went back to their cadet hall and spent the rest of the night making up for the hours they spent waiting for the President and the time it took to make this speech.

I can speak to both the feelings of a parent of those in the military who are serving and as the mother of a former Air Force Academy Cadet. I can say we are extremely worried. We find ourselves purposefully locked in a no-win situation by a Commander who seems not to understand either the sacrifice the military makes or the goals in winning a war. Instead we hear mewing about end games and final timetables, all which are received as signs that encourage our enemies.

I look back to the Vietnam war, the war of my youth and that which my husband fought two tours in. For me, then, it was a war very far away and being raised in the ranch life of the hill country of Texas, I rarely contemplated a war that seemed so far away from home. The first really serious thought I had about the war in Vietnam came in, strangely enough, my Algebra class, when our teacher, a retired Colonel who had taught at the War College, pierced the small minds he taught by writing simple quotations on the blackboard each day. Only rarely did he ever comment about them. The day I read this quotation my world began to open. The words said simply,

"Somewhere out there a man died for me today, that I might live free. And I must ask and answer,'Am I worth dying for?'"

I remember sitting in my seat, riveted by reading the words, and the impact they made on my heart, lasts even still today. And I wonder about all those in the field of battle today and for our children, whose hearts are as cold as stone over the course that lies ahead. I wonder, has our President ever thought of the price of duty that he asks of us today, with no end game or victory in sight, and whether anyone serving wants to give a life so cheaply? For if we are not in this war to win, and see to it that our enemies are clear about the cost of attacking the freedom of our nation, then we would be much better off not having begun the battle. And yet as I write those words I think of all who purchased my freedom and how I desire that my children and grandchildren live in freedom.

You see, Mr. President, that is why we serve. We only ask that you do not see our children and our family members as good photo op!

Since: Nov 08

Cologne- Germany

#22 Dec 2, 2009
comrade zappa
I had bookmarked your views.

I uphold your views .
""There's a move in Psalm 137 from thoughts of paying tithes to thoughts of paying back. A move if you will from worship to war. A move in other words from the worship of the God of creation, to war against those whom God created. And I want you to notice very carefully the next move. One of the reasons this psalm is rarely read in its entirety because it is a move that spotlights the insanity of the cycle of violence and the cycle of hatred.
NL Fitchburg

Worcester, MA

#23 Dec 2, 2009
Well written, Beverly. Another sad part, along with the photo op, is that these "kids" are the best and brightest our country has in the next generation. While our courts and jails fill up, those who are our worst and dumbest are still here. Whats that say about the future? Not much, I'm afraid. None of these politicians seem to care about people or that our children are going to a foreign---VERY foreign---country with targets on them. WWI, WWII...those wars were different. Not good, but we knew the enemy, had been attacked and knew what the outcome had to be. That can't be done today. Is anyone naive enough to think enemies of this country are going to limit their space to these two nations? There is no winning. We can't change the cultures of thousands of years. Keep our best and brightest HOME unless the country is under direct threat and we know how to win and who to fight. Then, go all out. A WWII Vet told me he was on leave, ready to go to Japan when the Atomic Bomb was dropped. He was very relieved as he'd had enough with fighting in Europe. We used our best equipment to end that war and to keep our young people safe. A bomb on the Afghan mountains? Why not? I'm tired of those in this country's leadership acting like these people think the way we do. They don't. No more American blood should be shed there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News VERPLANCK - A trailer park along the Hudson Riv... (Sep '06) Oct 15 Sadtosee 16
News Palm Tree proposal could be costly for Monroe t... Oct 4 Russ Ferdicko 9
Reasonable Locksmithing (Dec '13) Sep 26 George 13
city college was not on diddy or heavy d Sep 26 coco4u 1
sears and roebuck houses in cournwall (Apr '06) Sep '17 Circle of Friends... 8
disturbing the priest (Aug '14) Sep '17 do not disturb th... 2
News Orange County Legislature approves Palm Tree re... Sep '17 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 1

West Point Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Point Mortgages