Firth Carpet Co - Cornwall, NY
George CCHS 1965

Goshen, NY

#22 Oct 28, 2008
Jaime Cote wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings, could you please send me the jpgs you have on FC? I would really appreciate it. Thank you. [email protected]
Hi, I sent them today. Please reply to the email I sent.
John Gilardo

Rhinebeck, NY

#23 Oct 29, 2008
Jaime Cote wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings, could you please send me the jpgs you have on FC? I would really appreciate it. Thank you. [email protected]
George, Please send me a copy also. My mother (Anna Post Gilardo) and aunt Margaret Kane worked there. I know Aunt Margaret is in one of those photos. Thanks.
[email protected]
David Smith

United States

#24 Oct 29, 2008
I'm trying to find information on an Earnest Smith who worked at the Firth Carpet Co. in the 30's and 40's. He was married to Minni and had a daughter, Alice. Just checking to see if anyone might remember him or his family.

Peori, IL
Dave McMillen

Tuxedo Park, NY

#25 Nov 14, 2008
Both my grandfather and grandmother worked at FC during the 40's and 50's. They were Louis and Josephine (Jae) Simek. My family has a huge collection of FC newsletters that Jae saved over the years. I am even in one! They used to showcase new babies and I was in a 1958 issue.
George CCHS 1965

Goshen, NY

#26 Nov 14, 2008
Dave McMillen wrote:
Both my grandfather and grandmother worked at FC during the 40's and 50's. They were Louis and Josephine (Jae) Simek. My family has a huge collection of FC newsletters that Jae saved over the years. I am even in one! They used to showcase new babies and I was in a 1958 issue.
Do you think they would like to donated them to the Cornwall Historical Society? There is a small museum in the Town Hall. I know a couple of the members if you're interested.
George CCHS 65

Goshen, NY

#27 Nov 14, 2008
John Gilardo wrote:
<quoted text>
George, Please send me a copy also. My mother (Anna Post Gilardo) and aunt Margaret Kane worked there. I know Aunt Margaret is in one of those photos. Thanks.
[email protected]
Let me know if you receive the photos okay.
Mary Lou Hamill

Salt Lake City, UT

#28 Apr 22, 2009
Hi, my Grandmother worked at FC in the 1920 to 30s, I have a picture of her and her friends getting in a Model T to go to work! She told me many stories about working there, I am trying to collect material about her life for a memorial book for my family, she died a few years ago at 105 so I am looking for the oldest images I can find, I have contacted the Highland Mills HS but I it sounds like the CHS may have a lot of material, I plan to be in the area in July, I live in Utah, so will check out their opening hours, can you send me any photos of FC you may have?
my email is [email protected]

Thanks for your time
Jeanne Rose

Red Hook, NY

#29 May 27, 2009
Charles Dean Norris wrote:
<quoted text>
My Namesake uncle Chuck Norris worked for Firth after WWII. I believe he still worked there until into the later 50's. I would love to get some information about him if available.
Mesa AZ
[email protected]
My grandfather also worked at the factory and I would love to see photos if you have them. His name was Joseph O'Rourke.
Bob Sullebarger

Cambridge, MA

#30 Jun 2, 2009
My great grandfather was James Hall Aspinall. He came to Cornwall from England to help establish the Firth Carpet Mill there. He served as Superintendent of Schools, and built a lot of the mill workers housing in town. He also built the Bank on Main Street in Firthcliffe, which is now apadted for another use. My Grandfather grew up there as well, and met my grandmother at Hazard's Pharmacy in the 1920's when it was a soda fountain and country store. They danced that night at Tenneytown, which was a camp resort at that time.
STEVE

Port Jervis, NY

#31 Jun 2, 2009
GO TO NYO&W HIST.SOC. CLICK ON PHOTOS OF THE MONTH AND SCAN DOWN TO PHOTOS OF OLD TRUCK UNLOADING AT FIRTHCLIFF MILL.
John Gilston

Brant Lake, NY

#32 Feb 9, 2010
My great grandfather John J Turner was a first generation Irish immigrant who was in the contracting business. He died in the 1920's but had three sons Richard, John and Thomas as well as a daughter Elizabeth (my grandmother).
All of his sons graduated from RPI, in Troy NY, as engineers in the early 1900's. They went into the family business John J Turner and Sons Engineering/Contracting. From journals I have from one of the sons Richard, I noted that they were the builders of the mills for the Firth Carpet Company. The records indicate that they were in Auburn and Newburg NY. Can anybody tell me if the builds still exist and or it the company still active anywhere?
rich simpson

Howell, NJ

#33 Feb 10, 2010
George Kane wrote:
Have have found a panoramic photo of some of the employees at a picnic in Firthcliffe. If you are interested in seeing this photo please let me know how I can send jpgs to you. The photo is dated Aug 1944. And if you want a copy I can actually get copies made.
<quoted text>
i would appreciate if you could e-mail any photos of employees at fc ([email protected])thanks , rich
Gerry

New York, NY

#34 Mar 8, 2010
George - pls send a few images to my e-mail address, [email protected] Thanks !
Wilson Barreto

Clovis, CA

#35 Mar 17, 2010
George CCHS wrote:
<quoted text>
Linda, I would need your email address to send the jpegs to you.
I stumbled upon this board and I am also interested in the JPEGS. I am researching my wife's family ancestry and her grandparents all worked in the Carpet Mill. Joe Gray a Great Uncle was crippled and he also worked there separating the colored strands and putting them in separate piles. He also belonged to the Firthcliff Club. I have a picture of a group of them, all named by the way, with Joe in the first row. I know this may be an intrusion but I sure would appreciate it and maybe I can reciprocate with something. My email is [email protected]
Thanks Again
Dann Sears

Olympia, WA

#36 Mar 27, 2010
Hello, I would like to find out more about your book. I believe that my Grandfather worked for Firth. My father was born in Firthcliff, NY. I hope that this reaches you.
[email protected] Aberdeen, WA, USA
Ivor DAVIES UK wrote:
Hi THERE
Now at the moment I am researching the UK Firth Carpets WW1 War Memorial
I was the Commercial Manager at Firth Carpets in Brighouse in the 1960s /1970s and have served in the army and TA (part time volunteers) hence my interest
NOW if any of you would like a copy of my research ....soon to be completed
Just email me
[email protected]
Jay M Lenny

Lawrenceville, GA

#37 Mar 30, 2010
The firth Carpet Company was established in 1886. My relative, Fred Booth was the Manager until he retired in 1915. He passed away in 1934.
Jay M Lenny

Lawrenceville, GA

#38 Mar 30, 2010
The Firth Carpet Company was established in 1886. My relative Fred Booth was the Manager until he retired in 1915. He passed away in 1934.
George Cook

Fort Myers, FL

#39 May 16, 2010
My Scottish relatives came to Cornwall in 1902 and worked at Firth, paying off the cost of their passage. Their last name was Conner and they were carpet weavers from Elderslie, Scotland.
George Kane wrote:
The Firth Carpet Company of Cornwall operated sometime between the 1930s up to 1962. It contributed much to the community and was a primary employer of the area. My parents, grandfather and several uncles and aunts worked there during the 1940s and 1950s. My mother was even a pin up girl for one of the newletters during WWII. FC was very family oriented and community oriented. They had company parties and a special Christmas program at the club house every year. The company photographer took many photos and I wonder where they all went when the plant closed? I believe the local museum should have a sizeable display for this carpet company since it was a primary resourse for employment for several decades. If any one has any clues to where the company photos went (Staples was the photographer) or former employees please contact me at or by email [email protected] Thank you in advance. George Kane CCHS Class of 1965
John Tiffany

AOL

#40 Aug 19, 2010
Hi George,
Would you please send me any photos you have? My e-mail address is [email protected] My father Alan Tiffany was an electrical engineer and was plant engineer at Firth Carpet Company from 1938 to 1962. I have nice memories of going to the plant as a kid [I was born in 1950], and eating in the company restaurant, seeing the huge plant and playing in my father's office.
John Tiffany

AOL

#41 Aug 19, 2010
I have a funny story about my father's job interview in 1938, to become plant engineer. After going over all of the usual stuff in a job interview, the plant managers asked my dad [Alan Tiffany] if he had a degree in social work. My dad said no, but if they wanted him to get one, he would be willing. They immediately said, "No, no, that's not necessary", but gave no explanation of why they asked that question. After my dad had worked at the Firthcliff plant for a couple years, he found out the previous plant engineer had had a degree in social work [as well as engineering], and was a Communist Party member attempting to start a union at the Firthcliff plant. Well, there had been a big strike, which was broken by the management, and the social worker was run out of town. Anyway, needless to say, my dad never got a degree in social work!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
North Miller st? Is this one of newburghs worst st (Oct '06) 6 hr Ron 305
Leukemia Sep 24 lil miss karma 1
Accident blocks Route 32 Sep 24 lil miss karma 1
News Kiryas Joel officials file petition to expand, ... Sep 20 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 1
News Blooming Grove supervisor suggests ward system ... (Feb '16) Sep 20 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 6
Adoptees and Birth parents, and siblings Reunite! Sep 14 joan 1
verplank deli owner says f__k the U.S. (Dec '12) Sep 10 Bailey 15

West Point Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Point Mortgages