George Kane

Kingston, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2006

The Firth Carpet Company of Cornwall operated sometime between the 1930s up to 1962. It contributed much to the community and was a primary employer of the area. My parents, grandfather and several uncles and aunts worked there during the 1940s and 1950s. My mother was even a pin up girl for one of the newletters during WWII. FC was very family oriented and community oriented. They had company parties and a special Christmas program at the club house every year. The company photographer took many photos and I wonder where they all went when the plant closed? I believe the local museum should have a sizeable display for this carpet company since it was a primary resourse for employment for several decades. If any one has any clues to where the company photos went (Staples was the photographer) or former employees please contact me at or by email aquariusdude@gmail.com. Thank you in advance. George Kane CCHS Class of 1965
George Kane

Kingston, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2006

zeus wrote:
i remember as a child there was something about anthrax with the sheep for thr wool in the carpet. gosh i need to get a hold of my uncle i think he worked there for a while maybe he would know someone higher up that has pics put away.
That would be so cool if you could find some photos. Maybe he know some of my family that worked there. My grandfather George Kane, ran the elevator in the late 50s. The following family worked there in the 40s and 50s, my mom Mae Tricarico, my Aunt Virigina Tricarico, my dad Henry Kane, and my Uncle Joe Kane.

Yes there was a dump that had anthrax off Rt 32 near Orrs Mills close to the thruway. The land can not be sold until further tests are conducted on the land.
George Kane

Kingston, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2007

Have have found a panoramic photo of some of the employees at a picnic in Firthcliffe. If you are interested in seeing this photo please let me know how I can send jpgs to you. The photo is dated Aug 1944. And if you want a copy I can actually get copies made.
George Kane wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be so cool if you could find some photos. Maybe he know some of my family that worked there. My grandfather George Kane, ran the elevator in the late 50s. The following family worked there in the 40s and 50s, my mom Mae Tricarico, my Aunt Virigina Tricarico, my dad Henry Kane, and my Uncle Joe Kane.
Yes there was a dump that had anthrax off Rt 32 near Orrs Mills close to the thruway. The land can not be sold until further tests are conducted on the land.
Abram R Dann Sears

Issaquah, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

George Kane wrote:
Have have found a panoramic photo of some of the employees at a picnic in Firthcliffe. If you are interested in seeing this photo please let me know how I can send jpgs to you. The photo is dated Aug 1944. And if you want a copy I can actually get copies made.
<quoted text>
George,
My Father was born in Firthcliff, and I believe that my Grandfather might have work for this carpet company. I know when I was 6mos old, in 1944, we lived in Newburgh with my Grandparents. I am trying to locate any information that I can. My Father was a member of the 44th Division during WWII. He was stationed at Fort Lewis, WA.
When the 44th went to Europe we moved to Newburgh.
After the war, in 1946 we moved back to Washington State, where I grew up. I would like to see the Company photo of the Carpet Company.
Would it be possible to send me a Jpg. Thank you.
dannsears@aberdeen-museum.org or Quinault7@msn.com
George Kane

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2007

Abram, I'll send you the photo in 4 jpgs. My mother worked there in 1944 and was a Firth Carpet News pinup girl during WWII. What was your granfather's name?
Matthew Horisk

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2008

Gentlemen-

I just moved to the house directly next to the factory on Old Mill Street. I grew up in Cornwall and have been fascinated with it and the dam that crosses Moodna creek right behind my new house.

I have been outside digging up all kinds of old bottles and tools (bricks too) from the early 1900's. My house was built in 1850 and there is just an overwhelming amount of history around.

I would love to learn more and help out, as I agree 100% with George --- this factory has been a staple in this town for so long, even now, there is a railway running near it, a station, and the remains of a 500' majestic rail bridge across Moodna creek.

I would think it would be cool to gather up all the artifacts and present them to the Historical Society.

Thought Welcome! CCHS 1991.

Matt
George Kane CCHS 1965

Kingston, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Good hunting Matt, Yes I'm sure the Historical Society would love to see what you have. The last Tues of every month (last night) CHS meets at the town library. The museum has limited hours at the Town Hall but there are two members at work as volunteers at the town library book store on Monday nights 7pm-8pm. Ask for Jane or Janet. There is also a CHS website which you can contact members. Don't forget to view the 1920 Stillman memorial day movie on line. Keep digging!!!
Charles Dean Norris

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

George Kane wrote:
Abram, I'll send you the photo in 4 jpgs. My mother worked there in 1944 and was a Firth Carpet News pinup girl during WWII. What was your granfather's name?
My Namesake uncle Chuck Norris worked for Firth after WWII. I believe he still worked there until into the later 50's. I would love to get some information about him if available.

Mesa AZ
roamer@k7no.com
George CCHS 1965

Kingston, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

I heard recently that some of the administrative offices were burned in a fire after the plant closed and that personnel records may have been destroyed. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone ever been in the plant recently to see if personnel records and photos are still there?
Dennis Holt Tucson AZ

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2008

Read with interest the previous messages & thought I'd pass on some information I have.

FC was in business in the early 1900's. In 1908 they were cited for hiring & supporting illegals.

My great maternal grandfather, Simeon Smith, & my maternal grandfather, Thomas MacMorran, both worked at Firth. Simeon, as best I know, from 1907-1942. I'm not sure when Thomas was there. Probably during WWII.

I have an old newspaper photo from The Newburgh News taken on April 9, 1942 showing a retirement party at the Palatine Hotel. They were celebrating the retirement of James Halstead. He had 53 years of service with Firth.

I lived on Meadow Hill until I graduated NFA in 1956.
Ivor DAVIES UK

Frome, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Hi THERE
Now at the moment I am researching the UK Firth Carpets WW1 War Memorial
I was the Commercial Manager at Firth Carpets in Brighouse in the 1960s /1970s and have served in the army and TA (part time volunteers) hence my interest
NOW if any of you would like a copy of my research ....soon to be completed
Just email me
iandjdavies@blueyonder.co.uk
George CCHS 1965

Port Jervis, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2008

Ivor DAVIES UK wrote:
Hi THERE
Now at the moment I am researching the UK Firth Carpets WW1 War Memorial
I was the Commercial Manager at Firth Carpets in Brighouse in the 1960s /1970s and have served in the army and TA (part time volunteers) hence my interest
NOW if any of you would like a copy of my research ....soon to be completed
Just email me
iandjdavies@blueyonder.co.uk
That's very cool of you. So your research includes the Cornwall, NY USA location? I would really like to find the personnel files particularly the photos of employees for the Cornwall Historical Society here. Thanks very much.
laura

Chapel Hill, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2008

My grandfather worked at Firth Carpet when I was a child, usually came home with a variety of dye on his hands and arms, depending on the colors being used. The house that sits before the bridge with the dam alongside was owned and occupied by the actor Richard Chamberlin at that time. Used to love staying with my grandparents who lived on Clinton Street, next door to Earl and Mary Shiner. She ran the liquor store and he was a deputy.
Linda Horisk

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2008

I read the entries about the Firth Carpet Mill. I believe that one or perhaps both of my grandfathers might have worked at the mill. I would love to see the photos you have.
Was the Firth Mill connected in any way to another nearby mill called Strooks? This one was in Newburgh. My dad worked there when he was a young man.
Thanks.
George Kane CCHS 1965 wrote:
Good hunting Matt, Yes I'm sure the Historical Society would love to see what you have. The last Tues of every month (last night) CHS meets at the town library. The museum has limited hours at the Town Hall but there are two members at work as volunteers at the town library book store on Monday nights 7pm-8pm. Ask for Jane or Janet. There is also a CHS website which you can contact members. Don't forget to view the 1920 Stillman memorial day movie on line. Keep digging!!!
George CCHS

Wurtsboro, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Linda Horisk wrote:
I read the entries about the Firth Carpet Mill. I believe that one or perhaps both of my grandfathers might have worked at the mill. I would love to see the photos you have.
Was the Firth Mill connected in any way to another nearby mill called Strooks? This one was in Newburgh. My dad worked there when he was a young man.
Thanks.
<quoted text>
Linda, I would need your email address to send the jpegs to you.
Linda Horisk

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2008

George CCHS wrote:
<quoted text>
Linda, I would need your email address to send the jpegs to you.
You can send the images to casuch@aol.com Thanks so much.
Guy

Commerce City, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

Hello I have a area rug i got from my granmothers house does any one know how to find the pattern number my carpet # is 6539 9x12 color 612 I would like to know how to clean and when it was made and maybe average cost. Any information would be great(websites).
Guy

Commerce City, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2008

that a firth homefiew carpet sorry.
Bob Wood

Plymouth, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

I'm looking for the carpet pattern and color info for Firth Carpets that were installed in Boeing 707 aircraft in the late 1950s. The carpet numbers are 3785 and 3740. They were used in Braniff Airways 707s.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bob Wood cv440@gte.net
Jaime Cote

West Point, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2008

George Kane wrote:
<quoted text>
Greetings, could you please send me the jpgs you have on FC? I would really appreciate it. Thank you. janj69@yahoo.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent West Point Discussions

Search the West Point Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 22 hr College Professor 6,391
Elliot Rodger RIP Mon sure 8
Debate: Ferguson - Beacon, NY Sun Louis 1
Debate: Ferguson - Newburgh, NY Sun Brian Ellis 1
Any else seen the Mountain Lion in the area Aug 13 Felis Puma Concolor 1
"Newburgh Liz" Aug 13 Mcgiiver 1
assumption school (Nov '06) Aug 11 nancy 30
•••
•••

West Point News Video

•••
•••

West Point Jobs