Washingtonville High School principal charged with sexual abuse of 16-year-old

Oct 19, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Recordonline.com - The Times Herald-Record

Washingtonville High School Principal Michael J. Rossi was arrested Monday night and charged with having inappropriate sexual contact with a 16-year-old boy.

Comments
21 - 40 of 167 Comments Last updated Thursday Aug 7
A WHS Student

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

East Haven 5 wrote:
If this allegation is accurate or not there is NO WAY a 51 year old man, nevermind a principal should EVER be texting a 16 year old child. Something is very erroneous here with that alone.
Our principle text some students. It's like me having the number and texting my parents friends, or my neighbor. Thats what our principle is, he is a friend of our parents and a neighbor to us.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

I would reserve judgment until more facts are known. Unfortunately, you can accuse someone of anything. My cousin was accused of inappropriate behavior with a student. After his name was splashed across all of the local papers, an investigation was done. The young lady had made the same accusations at her previous school when things didn't go her way. The girl finally admitted to lying but there was never any mention of that in the press. My cousin never went back to teaching, he decided it wasn't worth it and the school lost an excellent teacher after 25 years.
wville class of 2010

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

Mike Rossi, ive know him for as long as i have lived. How dare you say these kinds of things about him. this kid who did it was about to get suspended so he layed down all these elegations. there is a program where you can send txt messages without his phone. This is ridiculous and all the kids at washingtonville and alumni such as myself know this is bullshit!!!!
A WHS Student

Monticello, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

wville class of 2010 wrote:
Mike Rossi, ive know him for as long as i have lived. How dare you say these kinds of things about him. this kid who did it was about to get suspended so he layed down all these elegations. there is a program where you can send txt messages without his phone. This is ridiculous and all the kids at washingtonville and alumni such as myself know this is bullshit!!!!
All us washy kids know who the kid is"A.C." and he is a f***ing pathological liar.
former hastings student

Mountain Home, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Mr. Rossi was an amazing principle! he would NEVER do anything like this. He has helped so many student, myself included. Stop making accusations about him when you dont even have all the facts! I feel so incredibly horrible for him and his family...Hang In There Mr. Rossi!!!
former hastings student

Mountain Home, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

Judged:

former hoh hs student wrote:
I was a former student of mike rossi when he started a program at hastings highschool to help kids having problems getting though school. I will tell everyone i come in contact with that i absolutely do not believe one word of this and im sure i speak for all of his former students that attended hastings high school. We all love him. Please remember not all accusation are true and some are made to hurt people
i couldnt agree more! because of HASP (and the HASP teachers) and MR.ROSSI i was able to graduate among TONS of others! he was the best and i dont know of any hoh student that could or would talk ill of him!
monroe mom

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

i agree with East Haven 5, the fact that a high school principal would be texting a 16 year old student is inappropriate to begin with and therefore will lead one to believe the worst. Teenage boys have better things to do then make up a lie of this magnitude. I hope this sick man confesses quickly and saves the tax payers money and time.

things to do than accu
Pragmatist

Montgomery, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

I'm not sure what went down. Sadly, after 35 years in education, I have seen a decline in the morality of the system. Is Mike Rossi guilty? I don't know, but the press has really castigated him. Did he in fact send the texts? Is this a witch hunt? Don't know that either. What I do know is that this is an issue that needs to be settled in the courts, not the media. If this principal is in fact guilty, the full punishment under the law should be applied. If he is innocent, then the full punishment of the law should be brought against the accuser, and the parents of the accuser if that person is under 18. This is a very serious charge, and should be dealt with appropriately.

“Stand Up for What You Believe!”

Since: Sep 08

La mia bell'Italia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

I agree it could ruin someone's life and career if the allegations are unfounded. But nonetheless he would not be in this position if he was not texting students.

*How many people here have had their teacher/pricipal text them?
Former hastings student wrote:
You don't even know if its true! He was a great principle who would NEVER do something like this. You don't even really know the facts. Does it make the situation better for you to bad mouth someone who you don't even know is fully guilty. It makes the situation worse, so until you know if its true or not I would keep my mouth shut. Imagine someone accused you of something you didn't do and now you have this associated with you regardless of if you did it or not. It must be a nightmare and I feel so bad for Mr. Rossi.

La mia bell'Italia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

The problem is sadly, if he did not do this, his name is already ruined. That's unfortunately the way it works. People tend to remember the accusation, not the outcome. Very sad all the way around for this man.
Pragmatist wrote:
I'm not sure what went down. Sadly, after 35 years in education, I have seen a decline in the morality of the system. Is Mike Rossi guilty? I don't know, but the press has really castigated him. Did he in fact send the texts? Is this a witch hunt? Don't know that either. What I do know is that this is an issue that needs to be settled in the courts, not the media. If this principal is in fact guilty, the full punishment under the law should be applied. If he is innocent, then the full punishment of the law should be brought against the accuser, and the parents of the accuser if that person is under 18. This is a very serious charge, and should be dealt with appropriately.

La mia bell'Italia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

It is not the same as a principal has a certain standard to uphold due to his position. Texting your friend's mom or dad is different. Point being he should have known better than to text students, if he didn't this probably would not have happened. I am not saying the man did it. I just think the texts put him in a bad position.
A WHS Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Our principle text some students. It's like me having the number and texting my parents friends, or my neighbor. Thats what our principle is, he is a friend of our parents and a neighbor to us.

La mia bell'Italia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! This man has not been convicted and the accusation was not that he had sex with a child. Calm down. The facts will come out. No matter how mad it may make you people in this country are "innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law." Not on topix or in the newspapers!
concerned mother wrote:
You should be a shamed of yourself. Why are you married with a family if your attracted to little boys. This makes me sick. A Principal Do u mean pedophile? Do you want someone to sexually abuse your children you sick f***....You should kill yourself while your at it.

Since: Oct 10

Mountain Home, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

concerned mother wrote:
You should be a shamed of yourself. Why are you married with a family if your attracted to little boys. This makes me sick. A Principal Do u mean pedophile? Do you want someone to sexually abuse your children you sick f***....You should kill yourself while your at it.
You dont even know him! he is innocent until proven guilty! he is an amazing guy! what the hell is wrong with you ''you should kill yourself while your at it" ?!?!?!?! you're the sick one! what gives you any right to judge someone especially when you dont even have all the facts!
mom1

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

East Haven 5 wrote:
If this allegation is accurate or not there is NO WAY a 51 year old man, nevermind a principal should EVER be texting a 16 year old child. Something is very erroneous here with that alone.
FINALLY!!! You are exactly correct! Round the clock texting to a teen student! Inappropriate! And alone in a car off campus with a minor not in your charge and without parental permission? Inappropriate! For all the good he'd done for WHS, he's really screwed for at least very poor judgement (even if not r/t allegations ). Blessing to his family AND to the boy and HIS family as well.
looking from they outside

Newburgh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Some times we tend to speak or think without facts. Things get changed in that procses whats starts off being said by one person turns into another thing said by another and you have a chain reaction with everyone elses facts but not the facts of what really happen. Thats why theres law inforcement and whats called investigators so neither we or the media should jugde until the facts are proven to be true. We live in a country thats was founded on respect,morals,And honor not by us but our great ancestors and leaders Now lets not forget a proven fact (innocent till proven guilty)
so sad

Spring Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

With regard to "innocent until proven guilty"... Mr. Rossi proved himself guilty. He confessed to police. The police have the cell phone records. He texted this boy continuously for nearly a month. And the text messages were around the clock in the day before and after the alleged "touching" incident in his car on October 11th. Just because a person smiles at you in the hallway and is an effective teacher or is nice to parents doesn't mean he isn't also committing crimes. Wake up parents--- perpetrators of sexual abuse against chldren are most often known by the victim. They choose troubled kids and prey on their insecurities. And they use their positions of power and control in the community to get away with it. The fact that he has no priors only means he was never caught before, not that he never committed any crimes. Again, Mr. Rossi confessed.
so sad

Spring Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

mom1 wrote:
<quoted text>
FINALLY!!! You are exactly correct! Round the clock texting to a teen student! Inappropriate! And alone in a car off campus with a minor not in your charge and without parental permission? Inappropriate! For all the good he'd done for WHS, he's really screwed for at least very poor judgement (even if not r/t allegations ). Blessing to his family AND to the boy and HIS family as well.
Exactly! I whole-heartedly agree with you. Why do none of you realize this?! Why on earth is the administrator of a school texting a student at all hours of the day and night... and meeting him in his car during school holidays? Mr. Rossi admitted to police that these two facts are accurate. Some are saying that this was a "troubled" child and Mr. Rossi was trying to help him. If he was concerned about the child's safety and/or mental health then he should have contacted the boy's parents and/or the school's guidance department or school psychologist. Mr. Rossi is not a counselor or a social worker. If he was worried about the boy he should have made an appropriate referral to a qualified professional. At the very least he is guilty of extremely poor judgement and unprofessional actions.

Since: Oct 10

Mountain Home, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

so sad wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! I whole-heartedly agree with you. Why do none of you realize this?! Why on earth is the administrator of a school texting a student at all hours of the day and night... and meeting him in his car during school holidays? Mr. Rossi admitted to police that these two facts are accurate. Some are saying that this was a "troubled" child and Mr. Rossi was trying to help him. If he was concerned about the child's safety and/or mental health then he should have contacted the boy's parents and/or the school's guidance department or school psychologist. Mr. Rossi is not a counselor or a social worker. If he was worried about the boy he should have made an appropriate referral to a qualified professional. At the very least he is guilty of extremely poor judgement and unprofessional actions.
Mr. Rossi was qualified in helping 'troubled' kids. He started an amazing program at Hastings High School called HASP. The program is still going and has helped so many teens, myself included, to graduate and give us a chance when no one else would. Even after he left HASP to become the vice principle he still took interest in it and all the students in it like he ran it. If he was a pedophile than why in over 20yrs of teaching has this NEVER happened. I know he's inocent. He has to be. he's an amazing guy and you all will see when this ends. WE LOVE YOU MR.ROSSI!
citizen

Highland Mills, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Judged:

a conserned father wrote:
This Rossi guy is the lowest form of human that can be. The parents of this kids should hang him by his Ba**s. I hope he rots in jail and Tyron and Jermaine will take his manhood away. Hey Rossi what ever evil you do to others it comes back to you. GOD DONT LIKE UGLY> P.S. Just feel horrible for your wife and kid(s). What a nice place to work when you are a pedophile.
This could happen to you!
JedKlampett

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

If the principal was born that way, why all the fuss?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent West Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Aug 19 College Professor 6,391
Elliot Rodger RIP Aug 18 sure 8
Debate: Ferguson - Beacon, NY Aug 17 Louis 1
Debate: Ferguson - Newburgh, NY Aug 17 Brian Ellis 1
Any else seen the Mountain Lion in the area Aug 13 Felis Puma Concolor 1
"Newburgh Liz" Aug 13 Mcgiiver 1
assumption school (Nov '06) Aug 11 nancy 30

Search the West Point Forum:
•••

West Point News Video

•••
•••

West Point Jobs