Obama orders 30,000-troop boost in Afghanistan

There are 10 comments on the LA Daily News story from Dec 1, 2009, titled Obama orders 30,000-troop boost in Afghanistan. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Declaring "our security is at stake," President Barack Obama ordered an additional 30,000 U.S. troops into the long war in Afghanistan Tuesday night, nearly tripling the force he inherited as commander in chief.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Randy

Sylmar, CA

#26 Dec 2, 2009
Nice to see Obama carrying on all the stupid Bush plans. So much for "hope and change".

Can you believe that we're entering the 10th year in Afghanistan??? Honest to God, WWII wasn't this long, WWI wasn't this long. In fact, WWII and WWI combined, wasn't as long as this Afghanistan war. What are they doing?? What are the troops doing in Afghanistan???
Randy

Sylmar, CA

#27 Dec 2, 2009
If Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden have all escaped to Pakistan years ago, then what's the purpose of sending more troops to Afghanistan???

In every botched war, you will always have a president who's making a decision to send in more troops. You know, Nixon did this. When he was elected in '68, he claimed he had a secret plan to end the Vietnam War. But, of course, the war dragged on for another 5 years. None of the presidents want to be tagged with the label of being a quitter, a cut-and-runner, a failure, or all the other derogatory terms that people use, but me, I would get out of this. If you can't figure out Afghanistan in 8 years, then you're either incompetent or it can't be fixed. But 8 years is a reasonable enough time for a place like Afghanistan. The reasons we went in there of course was the 9/11 attacks and going after the Al Qaedas, then it became getting rid of the Talibans. But the Talibans are making a comeback in Afghanistan and that's becomimg a problem.

That war tax Congressman Obey has proposed is a 1% surtax on everyone earning less than $150,000. So, everybody is gonna get hit with this Afghanistan tax. Oh, like I'm gonna pay money to try to civilize Afghanistan??? Now that's way over the top. I'm ready to take to the streets. Afghanistan??? Another 1% of my money to help rebuild that utterly corrupt hellhole???

We've already spent $227 billion on this war since 2001 and we're basically still on square one. And we need to go from 70,000 troops to 110,000 troops??? This is a complete waste. Why would all the troops be stationed in Afghanistan, and to do what?? Who wants to pay this tax for the Afghanistan war??? Does anybody think we actually should still be in Afghanistan??? We can't install a democracy there because they are uncivilized people. The Talibans are uncivilized and they're utterly corrupt. We failed to install a democracy in Iraq and we will fail again to install democracy in Afghanistan. Enough of this patriotism ****. I don't wanna pay this 1% surtax for a war that's going nowhere.
Randy

Sylmar, CA

#28 Dec 2, 2009
get a life wrote:
So really now, what did you expect from a non-American president? And a Muslim at that! I just shake my head when I see people smiling and falling all over themselves at every word this traitor says. Stupid stupid people. And he's making no bones about it either! He so bold and brazen that he doesn't care anymore about hiding his very intentions; which is to destroy this country right from the inside out! Stupid people put the enemy at the very top! History repeats itself right? Well it's happening all over again, just like 1935 in Germany, when a young Austrian, not even a German came in and took over the country. And how did he do it? Banks, auto industry, health care, and of course the "swastika". Gee I always thought we had a National Seal. So what's with this logo of Obaman's that now appearing on all things including out governments web site? Wake up people, check history for yourselves, look what he's done in less than a year. And then ask yourself; how much worst can it get? " you ain't seen nothing yet". Ok, still not sure. Here's a little litmus test for you, go to any store that sells guns, just walk in and head for the gun department....and just watch! Since this twit was voted into office, gun sales have hit all time highs! Get the picture? You can take it from here..........yes????
So you think we'll be better off if McCain had been elected. I voted neither McCain nor Obama, but that maverick McCain would've let the troops remain in Iraq and Afghanistan for the next 8 years. In fact, he expressed disapproval of the timetable that OBama has put forward regarding the withdrawal. McCain would rather let the Iraq and Afghanistan war drag on for another 8 years even though the Al Qaedas have all escaped to Pakistan.

BTW, Obama was born in Hawaii. Just google his name. You birthers are just as stubborn as a mule. If you don't like our current democratic way of evaluating and selecting candidates for high office, then tell all your friends and relatives to vote based on fact and logic and his track record, not based on impulse and what you see on TV: his amiability, charm, belief in family values and so forth. "No man can climb out beyond the limitations of his own character", Robespierre once said. So long as registered voters like you ignore that truism, you and your fellow citizens will continue to be disappointed by the candidate you elect as president.

As far as destroying the country from the inside out, McCain would've done just as bad or even worse, by granting amnesty to the 12-20 illegal aliens that are curretly here and provide the stimulus for more illegals to come here. So much for his love of country. Remember, he co-authored that dreaded Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill, and he would waste no time resuscitating that bill and stick it to us for the up-teenth time.
Ehtasham

Landing, NJ

#29 Dec 2, 2009
I wish that president Obama would come up with a peaceful solution rather than sending more troops into Afghanistan which will obviously cause more deaths.
tracy

Freeport, NY

#30 Dec 2, 2009
wow intresting
Vanessa

Hermosa Beach, CA

#31 Dec 2, 2009
I want to start off by saying how grateful I am of all soldiers who have faught for their country. I am truly appreciative of their courage and selfless attitude. This be said, I disagree with president Obama's choice on sending 30,000 troops to Afghanistan. They always teach us in school how to come up with different strategies to resolve a problem. I understand that this is a more serious situation; nevertheless, looking for other possibilities other than sending troops could be really helpful. What also bothers me is the fact that we are in a very severe economy crisis and sending troops is not at all cheap. So, coming up with different ideas on how to cease or at least better the war could also help out in other ways such as the economy and the sad families that the government tends to forget.
Bad Risk

Temecula, CA

#33 Dec 3, 2009
Randy wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think we'll be better off if McCain had been elected. I voted neither McCain nor Obama, but that maverick McCain would've let the troops remain in Iraq and Afghanistan for the next 8 years. In fact, he expressed disapproval of the timetable that OBama has put forward regarding the withdrawal. McCain would rather let the Iraq and Afghanistan war drag on for another 8 years even though the Al Qaedas have all escaped to Pakistan.
BTW, Obama was born in Hawaii. Just google his name. You birthers are just as stubborn as a mule. If you don't like our current democratic way of evaluating and selecting candidates for high office, then tell all your friends and relatives to vote based on fact and logic and his track record, not based on impulse and what you see on TV: his amiability, charm, belief in family values and so forth. "No man can climb out beyond the limitations of his own character", Robespierre once said. So long as registered voters like you ignore that truism, you and your fellow citizens will continue to be disappointed by the candidate you elect as president.
As far as destroying the country from the inside out, McCain would've done just as bad or even worse, by granting amnesty to the 12-20 illegal aliens that are curretly here and provide the stimulus for more illegals to come here. So much for his love of country. Remember, he co-authored that dreaded Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill, and he would waste no time resuscitating that bill and stick it to us for the up-teenth time.
You can't believe what you read any more either. Look at the way our history is being re-written. What was your source for the information on Obamas birth certificate. You choose to believe what you read and we'll choose to believe the literature presented to us. As you would probably say, question the documents you read before giving any weight to them as being proof of what to believe. If you think the problems with Iraq and Afghanistan will end once were gone, think again. It is better that we are there than having them here. Of course now we can look forward to bringing them here through application of our civilian law rather than application of military law. At the same time I would like to return your comment to you. You are just as stubborn as a mule.
Randy

Sylmar, CA

#34 Dec 3, 2009
Bad Risk wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't believe what you read any more either. Look at the way our history is being re-written. What was your source for the information on Obamas birth certificate. You choose to believe what you read and we'll choose to believe the literature presented to us. As you would probably say, question the documents you read before giving any weight to them as being proof of what to believe. If you think the problems with Iraq and Afghanistan will end once were gone, think again. It is better that we are there than having them here. Of course now we can look forward to bringing them here through application of our civilian law rather than application of military law. At the same time I would like to return your comment to you. You are just as stubborn as a mule.
I'm not defending Obama here since I didn't cast my ballot for ANYONE in Nov.'08. Assuming that your suspicion is valid. The fact that he's already president underscores how abysmally low our standards are in evaluating candidates for high office.

But what are they gonna do there since Osama and his henchmen have all gone to Pakistan..?? Civilize Iraq and Afghanistan?? Impossible. How about sending some of the troops here to patrol our porous border to prevent more illegals from coming here??? you know hes not gonna do that since he's just as pro-amnesty as his opponent..

And watching McCain tax your non profit that is just ripping off taxpayers since you stupidly told us how rich you are from working there...out of business will be interesting...

That's right McCain, if elected, will tax people to the point they stop giving to any charities or non profits.... Remember, McCain railed against the Bush tax cuts.

Many have already stopped doing so and non profits are hurting.

Since: Nov 08

Cologne- Germany

#35 Dec 3, 2009
USA is a funny soup sipping country which DREAMS a lot.
USA is a sick horse with different owners to put a jockey to win confidence.
Christmas in USA is a shopping sport and nothing to do with rational thoughts.
I am human and not a criminal who waste their energies and time to belittle others.
Ehtasham

Landing, NJ

#36 Dec 7, 2009
i hope this war comes to an end

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
verplank deli owner says f__k the U.S. (Dec '12) 19 hr DoJ 13
Favorite Songs 23 hr pusherman_ 51
Hi, May 1 pusherman_ 13
Debate: Marijuana - Newburgh, NY (Aug '10) Apr 27 steve 40
News Orange County man charged with sexual abuse of ... Apr 27 mz concerned 1
News Serrano, Gilleo face first-degree murder charges (Feb '07) Apr 27 Furious76 15
where is old lyng George Sinzer Apr 27 InflatedEgo 2
More from around the web

West Point People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]