Lesbian cadet quits West Point, says she'll push for repeal of 'don...

Full story: WTKR

A lesbian cadet asked Monday to resign from the U.S. Military Academy because she can no longer lie about her sexuality and was troubled by the anti-gay attitudes of some around her.
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Aug 17, 2010
NOTpc

Hampton, VA

#1 Aug 12, 2010
Let me get this straight. A homosexual gets into West Point knowing the rules about homosexuality in the military and then quits because she doesn't like the rule. Wasn't it stupid to enter the academy in the first place?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2 Aug 12, 2010
evidently just wanted to get their names in the news.
SLIF

Toronto, Canada

#3 Aug 12, 2010
And now going to Yale University.
rattler

Virginia Beach, VA

#4 Aug 12, 2010
More power to her. Don't tell is the rule. The guy that just saved your life in combat gets a slap on the ass? Did you or he think it was sexy. I am not gay. I don't like it. But they are not DOING anything TO ME. I will say to heep the "sloppy kiss" at home. Please.
Old Coot

Hampton, VA

#5 Aug 12, 2010
The military has always been a haven for gays. When I was active, 30 years ago, I'd have to say that better than 50% of the men that I served with were in the closet and greater than 70% of the women were too. I was aware of there sexual orientation (as they generally stuck together), but, I simply ignored it; I didn't date them and the men seldom made overt advances toward me. If they did, I told them that I was straight and they respected that. Many of those people were not only co-workers, they were my friends.

Since: Jul 10

Lawton, Ok

#6 Aug 13, 2010
Believe it or not, I don't object to a repeal of, "don't ask, don't tell". To me, it's like this...
Sexual Harrassment is not gender specific. If someone who is attracted to the same gender can't keep their comments or hands to themselves then they are already ignoring an enforceable regulation and are subject to punishment. If people are worried about how they act in uniform... You're already not supposed to "show affection" in uniform as it is... Once again it's a regulation they follow.
Cohabitation in the barracks??? Well, anyone who has ever lived in the barracks knows that there's just as much of that going on between heterosexual folks also.
Bottom line, if someone is responsible for ensuring my safety and work as a teammate and they do so.... Why should I complain if they are doing something that I wouldn't do when they go home?
Navy Retired

Piedmont, SC

#7 Aug 13, 2010
She should have to repay her education! She knowingly entered into a contract under a lie and then changed her mind apparently after getting accepted into Yale. Our Military Academies are not Community Colleges and should not be allowed to be used in this way!
Free Americano

Parksley, VA

#8 Aug 13, 2010
Military Madness wrote:
Believe it or not, I don't object to a repeal of, "don't ask, don't tell". To me, it's like this...
Sexual Harrassment is not gender specific. If someone who is attracted to the same gender can't keep their comments or hands to themselves then they are already ignoring an enforceable regulation and are subject to punishment. If people are worried about how they act in uniform... You're already not supposed to "show affection" in uniform as it is... Once again it's a regulation they follow.
Cohabitation in the barracks??? Well, anyone who has ever lived in the barracks knows that there's just as much of that going on between heterosexual folks also.
Bottom line, if someone is responsible for ensuring my safety and work as a teammate and they do so.... Why should I complain if they are doing something that I wouldn't do when they go home?
Sexual harrassment in the workplace is no longer tolerated in the civilian world, it should not be tolerated in the military either. Coed barracks are home for men, women, straight and gay; the rules should apply as for coed college dorms. That is, fraternization between service members should be limited, but, not eliminated. If you must date a member of your service branch, "get a room".

I dated a company clerk, one of my sergeants; she was beautiful. I was a private E-2 at the time. We quietly went off post in civilian clothing when we dated. It was against the rules, and we knew it. But, we were discreet. I also knew a (male) PFC that dated a (female) lieutenant; and a (female) staff sergeant that married a (male) Sergeant Major. But, we were all discreet in our actions. We were all breaking the rules too.
Free Americano

Parksley, VA

#9 Aug 13, 2010
In today's military, who's gay? Does it matter...

Today's U.S. Military Style
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup...
Free Americano

Parksley, VA

#10 Aug 13, 2010
Just so you don't think that the army is the only branch of the military that's gone crazy...

Meet the modern Navy!
Navy Carrier Squadron "Pump It"

Lawton, Ok

#11 Aug 14, 2010
Free Americano wrote:
Just so you don't think that the army is the only branch of the military that's gone crazy...
Meet the modern Navy!
Navy Carrier Squadron "Pump It"
Interstingly, I think I know some of them Aviators from another Hawkeye Squadron when I was with "The Fist Of the Fleet" aboard the Lincoln from 02-03.
Free Americano

Hampton, VA

#12 Aug 14, 2010
Military Madness wrote:
<quoted text>
Interstingly, I think I know some of them Aviators from another Hawkeye Squadron when I was with "The Fist Of the Fleet" aboard the Lincoln from 02-03.
So, you must be the guy that declared war on Iraq... I knew it!

Lawton, Ok

#13 Aug 15, 2010
Free Americano wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you must be the guy that declared war on Iraq... I knew it!
I was only doing it for the oil!!!
Free Americano

United States

#14 Aug 15, 2010
Military Madness wrote:
<quoted text>
I was only doing it for the oil!!!
Really? I never woulda' guessed.

Did you ever wonder what the No.1 song is that "Generation Kill" listen to on their CD and MP3 players while hunting down and killing Iraqis?

Wonder no more...
Let The Bodies Hit The Floor - Drowning Pool
Local

New Windsor, NY

#15 Aug 17, 2010
She's a Sociology major???!!!! Sociology!!! LOL...good riddance, I'm sure she'll be great as just another worthless government drone, because she certainly won't be getting a job in the real world.
CELL BLOCK 6

Hampton, VA

#16 Aug 17, 2010
YOU GO GIRL ,CARPET LICKER

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 4 hr Ann 16,777
verplank deli owner says f__k the U.S. (Dec '12) Wed on looker 11
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Wed Vote Zornow 6,408
Blind Faith Wed pusherman_ 1
Elliot Rodger RIP Aug 18 sure 8
Debate: Ferguson - Beacon, NY Aug 17 Louis 1
Debate: Ferguson - Newburgh, NY Aug 17 Brian Ellis 1
•••

West Point News Video

•••
•••

West Point Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••