Lesbian cadet from Ohio wants to leav...

Lesbian cadet from Ohio wants to leave West Point | The Columbus Di...

There are 71 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Aug 12, 2010, titled Lesbian cadet from Ohio wants to leave West Point | The Columbus Di.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A lesbian cadet has asked to resign from the U.S. Military Academy because she can no longer lie about her sexuality and was troubled by the anti-gay attitudes of some around her.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Bob

Winder, GA

#71 Aug 13, 2010
BuckeyeRon wrote:
What a loss for the military. Here is an obviously talented, bright young woman who is forced to choose between living a lie and serving her country. When is this country going to finally grow up and start treating all people equally?
I say let her in and treat all equally, that means and end to affirmative action along with DADT.
TeamAlli

Columbus, OH

#72 Aug 15, 2010
I can't believe anyone here is seriously suggesting she is quitting because she doesn't want to go to Afghanistan. All of my fellow ROTC cadets are well-aware that they will have to go to Afghanistan; one just got sent to Iraq.

No bright, talented female who earned an appointment to West Point is going to naively think they won't go downrange. West Point isn't a place where you whimsically sign up and don't know what's going to happen. West Point officers are expected to be leaders from the get-go and we certainly need good leaders right now. It is a true shame that there are still people in this world who some how think same-sex relationships are demonstrably less moral or worse than heterosexual relationships.
Bottom Line

United States

#73 Aug 15, 2010
TeamAlli wrote:
I can't believe anyone here is seriously suggesting she is quitting because she doesn't want to go to Afghanistan. All of my fellow ROTC cadets are well-aware that they will have to go to Afghanistan; one just got sent to Iraq.
No bright, talented female who earned an appointment to West Point is going to naively think they won't go downrange. West Point isn't a place where you whimsically sign up and don't know what's going to happen. West Point officers are expected to be leaders from the get-go and we certainly need good leaders right now. It is a true shame that there are still people in this world who some how think same-sex relationships are demonstrably less moral or worse than heterosexual relationships.
Leaders don't quit.
TeamAlli

Columbus, OH

#74 Aug 16, 2010
Bottom Line wrote:
<quoted text>
Leaders don't quit.
You clearly have never been in the military or a military environment. The anti-gay sentiment is pervasive and would kill anyone's spirit, whether they be gay or a sympathetic straight person.
dave chappelle

Columbus, OH

#75 Aug 16, 2010
BuckeyeRon wrote:
What a loss for the military. Here is an obviously talented, bright young woman who is forced to choose between living a lie and serving her country. When is this country going to finally grow up and start treating all people equally?
When white men over the age of 40 get a fair shake, then I'll start worrying about everyone else.
Lfod

Defiance, OH

#76 Aug 16, 2010
ordinary reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you are implying that, by way of application or personal interview, she was directly asked what her sexual preference was. Doubt it. Sounds to me like she is trying to be honorable by resigning because she does NOT want to live a lie. Speaks volumes for her character. Good for her and good luck at Yale - what an accomplishment.
At this time the regulations prohibit lesbians from serving. She knew that. She knew she is a lesbian . She LIED to herself. Honor code violation!
Lfod

Defiance, OH

#77 Aug 16, 2010
TeamAlli wrote:
<quoted text>
You clearly have never been in the military or a military environment. The anti-gay sentiment is pervasive and would kill anyone's spirit, whether they be gay or a sympathetic straight person.
She didn't have to put up with caca! Read Bejamin Davis American and see what real hazing/prejudice was. The liar is looking for free pub to get a book/tv deal.
David Nixon

Helena, OH

#78 Aug 16, 2010
TeamAlli wrote:
<quoted text>
The military isn't "anti-gay", rather, it is against the acting out and flaunting of one's sexual proclitivies, no matter what those proclivities may be. It is against sexual indiscretion which is a mark of poor judgment on the part of the service member.
TeamAlli

Columbus, OH

#79 Aug 16, 2010
David Nixon wrote:
<quoted text>
The military isn't "anti-gay", rather, it is against the acting out and flaunting of one's sexual proclitivies, no matter what those proclivities may be. It is against sexual indiscretion which is a mark of poor judgment on the part of the service member.
hahahahahaha yeah you really have no idea what the military is like do you
dirk diggler

Chillicothe, OH

#80 Aug 17, 2010
I'm just wondering...If she didn't want anybody to know, how in the world did the Academy find out? Just asking...
Joe

Columbus, OH

#81 Aug 17, 2010
dave chappelle wrote:
<quoted text>When white men over the age of 40 get a fair shake, then I'll start worrying about everyone else.
What flavor do you want your shake; chocolate, vanilla or dingleberry?
Spare us the "poor little ol' me" routine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police: Girls beat woman for fun in upstate New... (Jan '13) 16 hr Cordwainer Trout 6
News New census: Population declines continuing in O... Fri More is a moron 2
News Injunction sought to prohibit Kiryas Joel from ... May 26 Open Borders For ... 11
News KJ leaders, United Monroe talking new town deal May 24 Catherine Futuna 1
News When do Kiryas Joel officials meet? Theya re no... May 23 Moshe Janklowitz 9
Review: Pleasure Island (Nov '09) May 23 FYI 9
News Kiryas Joel holds annual bonfire celebration May 17 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 1

West Point Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Point Mortgages