Lesbian cadet from Ohio wants to leave West Point | The Columbus Di...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

A lesbian cadet has asked to resign from the U.S. Military Academy because she can no longer lie about her sexuality and was troubled by the anti-gay attitudes of some around her.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of71
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
dirk diggler

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

The timing of her resignation is suspicious. Would she have had to go overseas?
NE side Mike

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

Okay...She lied to get an appointment to the academy, attended under false pretenses for years and now wants to quit....Doesn't she now owe the taxpayers and/or the Army for the freebee education she cheated to get?

Regardless of your opinion on DADT, she knew the policy up front. A lier and a cheater should also suffer the consequences!
Rogio

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

Grow up!
JWT

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

NE side Mike wrote:
Okay...She lied to get an appointment to the academy, attended under false pretenses for years and now wants to quit....Doesn't she now owe the taxpayers and/or the Army for the freebee education she cheated to get?
Regardless of your opinion on DADT, she knew the policy up front. A lier and a cheater should also suffer the consequences!
It's called "don't ask, don't tell." How did she "lie" if she wasn't asked? Easy for you to judge if you're a heterosexual.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

"That was a week before she would be required to sign a commitment to finish her final two years and serve five years in the military."

If she must sign the commitment, then obviously it is optional... I don't see anything wrong with this.
concerned1

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

You are all missing the point. Here is a bright young American who wanted to serve her country and believes she cannot because of her sexual orientation. She will go on to do great things and would have done so as part of our military were she allowed to live her life openly. The unfounded homophobia in the military (and elsewhere) is a problem. DADT needs to be eliminated. There are plenty of gay men and women in the military who would would make exemplary soldiers and leaders -- and there are plenty of heterosexual men and women in the military who would not because of their behavior and biases. Don't paint people with such broad brushes. Evaluate each on their performance, not who they love.
TeamAlli

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

dirk diggler wrote:
The timing of her resignation is suspicious. Would she have had to go overseas?
She's going into her junior year, so I think she kinda already knew about having to go overseas. These wars have been going on for nearly 9 years now, when they started she was around 11 years old. No one joins the army these days and thinks they are going to get out in 4 years without having to go downrange. But thanks for being a jerk anyway.
BuckeyeRon

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

What a loss for the military. Here is an obviously talented, bright young woman who is forced to choose between living a lie and serving her country. When is this country going to finally grow up and start treating all people equally?
Tito

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

BuckeyeRon wrote:
What a loss for the military. Here is an obviously talented, bright young woman who is forced to choose between living a lie and serving her country. When is this country going to finally grow up and start treating all people equally?
She IS being treated equally. Has she been turned down for a promotion because of her sexual orientation? Doesn't sound like it
Is she making less money than her heterosexual peers? Doesn't appear that way.

The fact that she is making a big PR scene out of it leads me to question her motives. Why not just resign, if it really is a case where she can't live with the DADT? My guess is that it won't be long until she's doing the talk show circuit, and pulling down a nicer salary than she did in the armed forces. Nice career move.

cant spell

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

Not a sexual issue but a mental issue?
Zoot

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

JWT wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called "don't ask, don't tell." How did she "lie" if she wasn't asked? Easy for you to judge if you're a heterosexual.
No one asked but she wants to tell. Game, match, point.
dirk diggler

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

TeamAlli wrote:
<quoted text>
She's going into her junior year, so I think she kinda already knew about having to go overseas. These wars have been going on for nearly 9 years now, when they started she was around 11 years old. No one joins the army these days and thinks they are going to get out in 4 years without having to go downrange. But thanks for being a jerk anyway.
GTFOH. She's trying to avoid Afghanistan. You really think she's the only lesbian at West Point? Or for that matter, in Afghanistan? She raised her right hand and pledged, and signed her enlistment papers just everybody else. Point is, if she leaves, she gonna have to pay that tuition back, and that's a hefty stack of coins. I'm just sayin'....
michelpOhio

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

9th in her promo @ USMA and off to Yale in the Fall !
Simply congrats.

Since: Oct 09

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

She seems smart... so why enroll at West Point in the first place.... starving for attention?
Lfod

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

"A cadet will not lie cheat or steal , nor tolerate those who do" is the USMA Honor Code. One violation can be grounds for dismissal,she has countless lies. She has lied for two 1/2 years,to her selection board , on her aplication, to her classmates and to herself, she will be gone.
ANY Cadet can resign up to day 1 of their 3rd year
dirk diggler

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

She is going to be at least $150,000 in the hole when she goes to Yale. Hope she got a scholarship...
BuckeyeRon

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

Lfod wrote:
"A cadet will not lie cheat or steal , nor tolerate those who do" is the USMA Honor Code. One violation can be grounds for dismissal,she has countless lies. She has lied for two 1/2 years,to her selection board , on her aplication, to her classmates and to herself, she will be gone.
ANY Cadet can resign up to day 1 of their 3rd year
What lies? It's called "don't ask, don't tell" -- what do you not understand? She was not asked at any point about her sexual orientation; she was not allowed to tell. The official policy of the US military is to compel living a lie, not telling one.
Parasite Government

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

Sounds like she wants out, but also wants out of her responsibility for paying back Uncle Sam for
"her" education.

They should have never stopped asking sexual orientation before accepting candidates. I'd go even farther, and say they should have never made West Point coed.

What do I know - I'm just an old Marine who experienced the negative effects of women serving back in my day. Today - the military is kind of scraping for bodies, so the standards are much lower on filling the last 30% of their personnel needs.
My Turn Again

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

Probable got tired of the food in the mess hall. She ought to be made to reimburse the taxpayers for her education.
magicman5150

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

Judged:

GoBucks614 wrote:
She seems smart... so why enroll at West Point in the first place.... starving for attention?
Seriously??? Ummm...because the Service Academies are where the best and brightest of our students are going. The fact the Academies turn out more Rhodes and Hertz scholars than our Ivy League schools.

And for the know-it-alls who are speculating that she will have to pay it back, actually she won't. You are not mandated to a commitment to payback unless you start the first day of class in your third year. And to insinuate that she would be afraid to go overseas, that is a stretch as well. If you are discharged from the academies, Uncle Sam can request payback one of 2 ways. The first is a monetary payback of the portion of time you went, the other would be in lieu of monetary payback, to serve 3 years as an elisted soldier. It is up to DoD on which payback option she would incur. But since she never started her 3rd year, she will have no obligation.

Amazing how many experts we have on here..........But thanks for participating.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of71
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

West Point News Video

•••
West Point Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

West Point Jobs

•••
•••
•••