Cheney rallies West Point

Cheney rallies West Point

There are 9 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from May 26, 2007, titled Cheney rallies West Point. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Vice President Dick Cheney on Saturday urged the 978 new graduates of the U.S. Military Academy to provide leadership to troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

saigondash

Taiwan

#1 May 27, 2007
Well, this is fresh. Deadeye Dick Cheney addressing honorable men and women that will lead our army into the future.

Cheney appealed to the emerging Army second lieutenants to defend freedom against those who would destroy it and to carry forward the academy's values of duty, honor and country.

What in the world does this guy know about "values of duty and honor" when it comes to serving in the military for ones country? If the Selective Servce held a draft today, and certain individuals didn't agree with going to Iraq, or wormed there way out with 5 deferments because, as Cheney put it 40+ years ago, they had "other things to do" he would brand thema as traitors and have them locked up or maybe shot as cowards in time of war.

This is a magnification of how skewed the morals of the present adminstration are. "Do as I say, and not as I do."

What a joke. This really pisses me off. I'm insulted that on the Memorial Day weekend this prick has crawed out of his bunker, or from under a damp rock, to address real men and women that "value duty, honor and country."

Myself being a Vietnam Veteran of 28 months in Vietnam, I am insulted.

And before all you right wing con's start with the "soft liberal" crap, I served therefore I earned the right to voice my opinion.
Chickenhawks

Redford, MI

#2 May 27, 2007
Wow, Dick Cheney telling military persons how to serve.

Must have been hard for a draft dodger like himself to muster those words. But then again a person without a conscience is capable of almost anything.
Marine Vietnam Veteran

Latonia, KY

#3 May 28, 2007
saigondash wrote:
Well, this is fresh. Deadeye Dick Cheney addressing honorable men and women that will lead our army into the future.
Cheney appealed to the emerging Army second lieutenants to defend freedom against those who would destroy it and to carry forward the academy's values of duty, honor and country.
What in the world does this guy know about "values of duty and honor" when it comes to serving in the military for ones country? If the Selective Servce held a draft today, and certain individuals didn't agree with going to Iraq, or wormed there way out with 5 deferments because, as Cheney put it 40+ years ago, they had "other things to do" he would brand thema as traitors and have them locked up or maybe shot as cowards in time of war.
This is a magnification of how skewed the morals of the present adminstration are. "Do as I say, and not as I do."
What a joke. This really pisses me off. I'm insulted that on the Memorial Day weekend this prick has crawed out of his bunker, or from under a damp rock, to address real men and women that "value duty, honor and country."
And before all you right wing con's start with the "soft liberal" crap, I served therefore I earned the right to voice my opinion.
I couldn't have said it better my self. Semper Fi
saigondash

Germany

#4 May 28, 2007
Marine Vietnam Veteran, was this article buried on the back pages in the published copy? Or did you read it in Indystar.com ?I live and work in Taiwan so I have no idea, and my only resource for home news is on-line in Indystar.com .

I was aware a few months ago that Dick "i had other things to do" Cheney was scheduled to address the West Point class of '07 so I did a search this morning at Indystar.com , so that is the only way I found it.

And the right wingers call it the " biased left media" and there doesn't seem to be any coverage of Cheney's visit to West Point. What about the White House Press Corp? Are folks in the administration so ashamed that there wasn't much coverage? I tend to think so.

I read in other media outlets (yeah, probably left wing) that as many as 76% of Americans disapprove with the direction this war is going. So with so many in disagreement why aren't the streets flooded with patriotic Amercans that have offered up their sons and daughters in the service of their country and taxed up their south-ends, pouring lives and money into a black hole with no end in sight?

Americans should befend American soil, not fight for foreign oil.
Rene

United States

#5 May 28, 2007
saigondash wrote:
Right on target...our leadership....twin dodgers...

This dead beat has the guts to tell these young future military leaders to go out there and fight for Halliburton, now located in the Emirates...

Disgusting..........to say the least.......
Sandy

AOL

#6 May 28, 2007
My stomach turned on Veterans' Day a couple of years ago when they had Cheney lay the wreath for our honored dead. Cheney (!), who ran away, when he should have done his duty as a young man.

As another Vietnam veteran I want to say that I have had it up to here listening to right wingers who never have served, who are not serving, and who wouldn't serve if you forced them, tell me I'm not patriotic if I don't follow the current Republican propaganda.

Remember when the Republicans had Eisenhower? Now they have a president who hid in the National Guard so he wouldn't have to go to war, and he now sends the National Guard to war. There's a joke in there somewhere.

Marine Vietnam Veteran

Latonia, KY

#8 May 28, 2007
saigondash wrote:
Marine Vietnam Veteran, was this article buried on the back pages in the published copy? Or did you read it in Indystar.com ?I live and work in Taiwan so I have no idea, and my only resource for home news is on-line in Indystar.com .
I was aware a few months ago that Dick "i had other things to do" Cheney was scheduled to address the West Point class of '07 so I did a search this morning at Indystar.com , so that is the only way I found it.
And the right wingers call it the " biased left media" and there doesn't seem to be any coverage of Cheney's visit to West Point. What about the White House Press Corp? Are folks in the administration so ashamed that there wasn't much coverage? I tend to think so.
I read in other media outlets (yeah, probably left wing) that as many as 76% of Americans disapprove with the direction this war is going. So with so many in disagreement why aren't the streets flooded with patriotic Amercans that have offered up their sons and daughters in the service of their country and taxed up their south-ends, pouring lives and money into a black hole with no end in sight?
Americans should befend American soil, not fight for foreign oil.
I don't know the answer to your question concerning Cheney's visit to West Point nor about how much press coverage it got. I heard about it last week prior to his going there.

As to why people are not in the streets, I have a theory. First off many, many , many returning Iraqi veterans are turning against this war in numbers we have not seen since Vietnam. Secondly many military families with the multiple deployments are speaking out against this war. But why are not those who do not have skin in the game taking to the streets? Well because they have no skin in the game, they have no investment in this war. No one is at risk because there is no draft. If there were a draft millions would be out there cause then there privileged a.s.s.e.s. would be on the line, but as long as it is other people fighting they don't much care.

Lastly I'm going to address your claim that 76 percent of the American public has turned against the war. I don't think it is that high more like 65 percent but that is not what I want to address. I read those polls too but I try to get beyond the headline of the poll and discover why those numbers have turned (from nearly 80 percent in favor of the war at its beginning to now nearly 70 percent opposed. Well it is not because of some great moral awakening in the United States, it is primarily because of America's short attention span and its desire for instant gratification. Basically it boils down to we are not winning and people are bored with it. Once this Administration or the next starts seriously beating the war drums for another invasion of another sovereign country you will the vast majority of Americans rallying around the flag once again and urging on the troops to another blood letting mess.
Marine Vietnam Veteran

Latonia, KY

#9 May 28, 2007
Piltdown Man wrote:
I served 28 years active duty, US Army.
We'll probably never know if the invasion of Iraq was justified. But we know for a certainty that the Rumsfeldian concept of nation-building has been a complete and abysmal failure. No purpose is served by continuing to send soldiers and Marines into that hopeless meat grinder.
So-called victory is impossible. At some point we will withdraw and allow Iraq to sink back into the Islamic hell-hole fron whence it came. That end point is a certainty. All American troops who die during the interum will have wasted their lives.
I do not disagree with much of what you said here with one major exception, Iraq was not Islamic hell hole prior to our invasion, it was a secular state, in fact probably the most westernized state in the Middle East after Israel. But you are right regardless of when we leave it will BECOME an Islamic hell hole, and for that we are also responsible
saigondash

Germany

#10 May 28, 2007
Marine Vietnam Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not disagree with much of what you said here with one major exception, Iraq was not Islamic hell hole prior to our invasion, it was a secular state, in fact probably the most westernized state in the Middle East after Israel. But you are right regardless of when we leave it will BECOME an Islamic hell hole, and for that we are also responsible
Marine. Well put. I didn't mean to imply that Iraq was a "Islamic hell hole" to the invasion. I only mean in the context of the present situation.
Thanks for your service. Thanks for your comments. For a Marine you are very articulate. Just kidding bro.
And your points regarding the "what if" of the draft and future encounters are well put and on target.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Point Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Legislative panel urges St. Luke's to keep Corn... 18 hr joelkramer534 1
Does anyone know Keith Brulatour? Jul 8 chanigan 2
Blue Diamond Painting and Contracting Jul 8 chanigan 1
News Blooming Grove supervisor suggests ward system ... Jul 3 JamesPliskin 4
Adoptees Born at Julia L. Butterfield Hospital ... (Jan '12) Jun 30 joan 52
News Dozens arrested in welfare fraud sweep Jun 30 Eyes wide open 1
News South Blooming Grove Residents Solicited to Sel... Jun 29 Miguel D 1

West Point Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance