First Prev
of 4
Next Last
richard

West Plains, MO

#63 Jan 21, 2011
Jeep King wrote:
im not from round these parts but i love it. not scared of any work dont like the busy life style of up north and dont like how wp has changed since ive been here. its really grown and i dont like it. maybe ill move to van buren lol
thank you good one.9928
Hello

Eldridge, MO

#64 Jan 21, 2011
To Richard,
why are you mad at me? I just said it was a great movie. I am a collins and I am from here! So yeah, you could say I was there very recently. And I have been a Collins for almost 50 years, love my Collins name and family. I would die in a heartbeat fo any one of them. Can you say the same?
I liked the movie, what was it that you didn't like?
Please don't call me names again,I just stated I liked the movie.
richard wrote:
<quoted text>ok you ass my family lives there and your wrong.just when was the last time you where there?

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#65 Jan 25, 2011
Shazam wrote:
Apparently it is based on our Siloam Springs Collins families. Interesting article from 2006 http://bit.ly/9f5wwv
This article clearly says "Woodrell says he based the hard-boiled Dolly kin on the West Plains Collins family, who, like the Dollys, share a tangled family tree. The West Plains phone book lists 250 Collinses, many of them inhabiting a stretch of Highway 14 unofficially named Collinsville. It is a place of charred remains of shacks consumed by methamphetamine lab fires, of dilapidated single-wides with guinea hens dithering out front. Here, four-wheelers double as beer-drinking stools."
2funny

Chicago, IL

#66 Jan 25, 2011
Absolutly loved this movie :)

Since: Jan 11

Scottsdale, AZ

#67 Jan 26, 2011
Ronnie Johnson. There's a name for ya. Anyone who knows what happened will know without a doubt that this is who the movie was based on. There you have it. there ya go. no initals. just a name. Go ahead and argue now.

Location hidden

#68 Jan 26, 2011
ozarksnative wrote:
Ronnie Johnson. There's a name for ya. Anyone who knows what happened will know without a doubt that this is who the movie was based on. There you have it. there ya go. no initals. just a name. Go ahead and argue now.
How do you know that? I thought the Madden's got that guy. How do you put him in with the Collins family? Why start sh*t on here by bringing that up?

Location hidden

#69 Jan 26, 2011
BaconFat wrote:
<quoted text>
This article clearly says "Woodrell says he based the hard-boiled Dolly kin on the West Plains Collins family, who, like the Dollys, share a tangled family tree. The West Plains phone book lists 250 Collinses, many of them inhabiting a stretch of Highway 14 unofficially named Collinsville. It is a place of charred remains of shacks consumed by methamphetamine lab fires, of dilapidated single-wides with guinea hens dithering out front. Here, four-wheelers double as beer-drinking stools."
He also says that they shot his friend's dog for messin' with their guinea's.
amber

Charleston, WV

#70 Apr 25, 2012
Who cares wrote:
Honestly I don't care what people think about me or my Ozark heritage. I am a backwoods hillbilly and I am proud of it. Who cares if this movie makes people not want to vacation here. I like it better when there is no vacationers here. I wish all of the damn city people who like to come to southern missouri and deer hunt would watch the movie then there wouldn't be thirty different orange vests all around making noise and scaring all the deer off when I am sitting in my deer stand. I don't give a F**K what people think about us down here. I really don't think too highly about outsiders, because they get on my nerves. The only reason they talk S**T about us down here in southern missouri is because people are scared of what they don't know or understand. Everybody I am friends with and I am related to are content with their way of life. Just like city people are content with their lives.
Amen to that friend. I live in the mountains of wv and we have to deal with the same bs.
beve

United States

#71 Apr 27, 2012
I will take Daniel woodrell to court if he is trying to say it's your about my family! We never got a check or gave him permission to write anything! When my attorney talked to his we were told it was not about the Collins families. Just stories. If your a Collins join me in my lawsuit! That will stop this mess.
Hello

Reeds Spring, MO

#72 Apr 27, 2012
He did not use any names or specific places, you have no case!
beve wrote:
I will take Daniel woodrell to court if he is trying to say it's your about my family! We never got a check or gave him permission to write anything! When my attorney talked to his we were told it was not about the Collins families. Just stories. If your a Collins join me in my lawsuit! That will stop this mess.
bebe

Ozark, MO

#73 Apr 27, 2012
Hello wrote:
He did not use any names or specific places, you have no case!
<quoted text>
That's all I wanted someone to say!See not my family so people can not say that anymore! case closed! hahahah Kiss my collins a&& all you people saying it was about the Collins family!
Just me

United States

#74 Apr 28, 2012
bebe wrote:
<quoted text> That's all I wanted someone to say!See not my family so people can not say that anymore! case closed! hahahah Kiss my collins a&& all you people saying it was about the Collins family!
.well done and they say we are dumb lol the jokes on them just got out smarted by a collins !!!!
bebe

Sparta, MO

#75 Apr 29, 2012
Just me wrote:
<quoted text> .well done and they say we are dumb lol the jokes on them just got out smarted by a collins !!!!
Thanks cuz'! Sending love out your way!
Cricket

Streator, IL

#76 Apr 29, 2012
I watched the movie a couple times and met the cast members in Springfield, the cast of the movie done an excellent job. This movie played with a full theater for several weeks longer than planned. I think the movie protrayed the way of life for some very good, however; we are not to judge. For those who judge shall be judged.
Hello

Reeds Spring, MO

#77 Apr 29, 2012
bebe wrote:
<quoted text> That's all I wanted someone to say!See not my family so people can not say that anymore! case closed! hahahah Kiss my collins a&& all you people saying it was about the Collins family!
But I am a Collins to! Born A Collins 50 years ago and very proud of it! I just know he didn't use names and places and therefore no case! People can talk all they want about the Collins' it's not going to change who I am or how I act or treat people, I am proud of who I am, I treat people with respect and love my family!
lynn

United States

#78 Jun 3, 2013
I'm from Howell county but do not live there anymore . I have a friend who lives there still that actually ran into the film crew for the movie and they were asking about the Madden family and certain gravesites so we both assumed the Madden family was the inspiration. Funny thing is I went to school with some of the Maddens to so I was like wow! LOL
Let it go

Ozark, MO

#80 Jun 13, 2013
Leave it alone. Why post comments that may cause you problems? I would never go against these guys. You shouldn't either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bad body odor (Jan '16) 6 min Timeless Questions 15
Wonderful Speech 34 min grave digger 11
tickets for turning left on red??? 1 hr Knartfocker 9
funhouse 1 hr elf 2
new study reveals 1 hr elf 3
Respect 2 hr Site Manager 1
a day in the life 2 hr ex republican 1

West Plains Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance