What factories have closed in the Wes...

What factories have closed in the West Plains area?

Posted in the West Plains Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Southern Son

Chesterfield, MO

#1 Oct 22, 2008
In the last ten years, it seems one, or, more factories have closed in the area, but I can't remember their names. Anyone remember a factory that closed within the last ten years?
Mercy

United States

#2 Oct 22, 2008
Gardner's Shoe
Joy Dog Food
johnson

Hollister, MO

#3 Oct 23, 2008
amyx
southern son

Chesterfield, MO

#4 Oct 23, 2008
Johnson, is amyx a factory that closed in West Plains? What did they make? I don't remember them, right of the top of my head.
Back Woods Drifter

Harrisonville, MO

#5 Oct 23, 2008
Wanna say flooring mill. Not sure though.
Whatever

Sparta, MO

#6 Oct 23, 2008
Furniture and it was on Missouri Avenue by the old shoe factory building.
southern son

Chesterfield, MO

#7 Oct 23, 2008
Thank you... for info on AMYX. When you think about it, it seems that 30-40 years ago, every town in the region had a hat factory, or, shoe factory, or, both. Times have changed. Can't say for the better, though.
Whatever

Sparta, MO

#8 Oct 23, 2008
They're making the hats, shoes, and whatever overseas these days.
why

Hollister, MO

#9 Oct 24, 2008
southern son,
Why are u asking so many questions? In all the cities in this area u have started the same topic about factory closings, just wondering what u interest is?
southern son

Chesterfield, MO

#10 Oct 24, 2008
I used to work in media, news. I remember when factories woudl close, or, major employers would cut thousands of jobs, that Wall Street would cheer and "rally."

I have been saying for years, that you cannot have a vibrant American economy and send your major jobs good paying jobs off-shore.

Wall Street has become the only American "economy" that seems to matter to them, and to our politicans, in both parties.

I recall many factories having closed, and I just wanted to know how many that I had not heard of closing over the years. I am a conservative, but I am socially aware, and want to know what has happened to our jobs. I am angry that these globalists get on television and say that "THOSE JOBS AREN"T COMING BACK". I want to know how they know that for certain. How could be so sure that our jobs weren't coming back, unless they were the ones who cooked up the concept of "globalism" and fed it to us, like it was a natural occurance in the timeline of American economic history, instead of the scam that it is.

I really became the angry when Jo Ann Emerson, Roy Blunt, Claire McCaskill, Kit Bond, and Ike Skelton voted for the bailout of these vary scum bags who either off-shored our jobs, or, made billions from moving the jobs to Communist China, Communist Vietnam, and Mexico, then, paying the communists only 30 cents and hour, and a buck in Mexico.

I feel that there must be people who feel the same way, and I wanted to get some info on the closings, while the economy is on minds of just about everyone.
Whatever

Sparta, MO

#11 Oct 24, 2008
The Conway-Winters baby shoe factory in Willow Springs moved part of its production to Birch Tree many years ago. From there, all the jobs went overseas. The Rawlings plant in Willow Springs moved to Haiti many years ago.

If everyone will look at the tags in their clothing and the stamps on the inside of their shoes, they will know why we have no jobs in the USA. I tried buying only USA made shoes. Ha! You can't find them.
Duh

High Ridge, MO

#12 Oct 24, 2008
Southern Son, so you should put the blame where it truly should sit. NAFTA was able to secure passage after Bill Clinton made its passage a major legislative priority in 1993. It had languished under the first bush administration.
southern son

Chesterfield, MO

#13 Oct 25, 2008
DUH... well, sir, you are partially correct. I do not believe that it "languished" in the first Bush administration, if it did, it is because the Democratically controlled House and Senate did not want it passed.

I did find this at wiki..
"NAFTA
Main article: North American Free Trade Agreement
From left to right:(standing) President Carlos Salinas, President Bush, Prime Minister Brian Mulroney; (seated) Jaime Serra Puche, Carla Hills, and Michael Wilson at the NAFTA Initialing Ceremony, October 1992Bush's administration, along with the Progressive Conservative Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, spearheaded the negotiations of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which would eliminate the majority of tariffs on products traded among the United States, Canada, and Mexico, to encourage trade amongst the countries.[52] The treaty also restricts patents, copyrights, and trademarks, and outlines the removal of investment restrictions among the three countries.[52]

The agreement came under heavy scrutiny amongst mainly Democrats, who charged that NAFTA resulted in a loss of US jobs.[10] NAFTA also contained no provisions for labor rights;[53] according to the Bush administration, the trade agreement would generate economic resources necessary to enable Mexico's government to overcome problems of funding and enforcement of its labor laws.[53]

Bush needed a renewal of negotiating authority to move forward with the NAFTA trade talks. Such authority would enable the president to negotiate a trade accord that would be submitted to Congress for a vote, thereby avoiding a situation in which the president would be required to renegotiate with trading partners those parts of an agreement that Congress wished to change.[53] While initial signing was possible during his term, negotiations made slow, but steady, progress. President Clinton would go on to make the passage of NAFTA a priority for his administration, despite its conservative and Republican roots with the addition of two side agreements to achieve its passage in 1993.[54]"

Yes, it was Bill Clinton who took up George Herbert Walker Bush's negotiated NAFTA and it was the Republicans in Congress who joined with him and passed it.
So, please do not blame Bill Clinton for the passage of NAFTA, without blaming the Republicans in Congress who passed it for Clinton.

By the way, the driving force outside of Congress for getting NAFTA passed was RUSH LIMBAUGH. Next month, I will celebrate fifteen years of sobriety... I will have been RUSH FREE for 15 years.
I stopped listening to Rush Limbaugh after listening to him in 1993, urge the passage of NAFTA. The final straw came after it's passage, when a loyal listener from South Carolina called in and told Rush that his buddy at the broom factory in Aiken had lost his job to Mexico. Rush said that we didn't need "buggy whip jobs." It wasn't a buggy whip, it was a broom, and if a broom is to be made, it should be made in America by Americans, is the way I look at it.

I considered myself to be a Republican back then, but I wasn't about to be one of those sleazy kind of Republicans who wanted globalism, and the off shoring of American jobs. My great, great, great Uncle was Republican President James A. Garfield. He was assassinated in part for his refusal to side with the sleazy Republicans out of New York who wanted to import and export without any import/export taxes on their goods.
southern son

Chesterfield, MO

#14 Oct 25, 2008
Whatever... Thanks for the information...on Conway-Winters and Rawlings... I knew that none of our sports equipment was made here, any longer, but I didn't know that the Rawlings plant in Willow had gone to Haiti. You do know that the average wage they pay down in Haiti, is 30 cents an hour, right? That is why I was so mad when Jo Ann Emerson voted for CAFTA, the Centeral America Free Trade Agreement. How can we compete with 30 cent an hour wages in Haiti, and 50 cent an hour wages in Costa Rica? Thanks, again.
Whatever

Sparta, MO

#15 Oct 25, 2008
When the Rawlings plan decided to go to Haiti they sent some of their employees from here to Haiti to train the workers. These employees, essentially, went to Haiti to train people to take their jobs away. I asked one why she would want to do that and her answer was, "I'd never have a chance to go to Haiti otherwise." I just shook my head in disbelief. Could not understand why anyone would train someone to take her job away.
Southern Son

Chesterfield, MO

#16 Oct 31, 2008
Whatever, I agree with your head shaking. This is not the first time that I have heard of people being sent to a foreign country to train people to take their jobs. The Boat factory in West Plains moved to Mexico.. they sent workers there to train the Mexicans. It happens all the time, and it makes me angry.. sad, too, but very angry.
Southern Son

Chesterfield, MO

#17 Oct 31, 2008
Thank you all for contributing the names of Plants that have closed, and major employers who are gone from our Congressional District in the last 10 years. It is so sad, and it makes me angry, to see such a massive list of jobs that we no longer have.

In 1980, there were FIFTY shoe factories in the 8th Congressional District. Today there are NONE.

Advance
Inland Shoe

Bernie
IXL closed south plant

Caruthersville
Box Factory
Bridge Wheel
Colson
Gates Rubber,
Missouri Fabrication
RT Friction

Chaffee
Columbia Sportswear
Box Factory

Cape Girardeau
Bunny Bread
Dana Corporation
Emerson Electric
Nuth Rubber
Tri-Con Seat Covers
Thorngate - 250 jobs

Charleston
Gates Rubber

Corning Factories
Balser Harts
Corning, Arkansas

Dexter
Arvin (Downsized > )
Elders Manufacturing
Paramount Cap
Prestige Printing
Purolator

Doniphan
Lignetics
FEDCO
A windmill factory
Katie’s Needle

East Prairie
Story's Popcorn

Farmington
Tyco?
Huffy Bike

Kennett
Emerson Electric
UARCO

Malden
Circle D
Federal Mogul
Sterling Piston
Yakel
C.B. Forms
A garment factory
RTW cutting tools

Marquand
The Crayon factory

Morehouse
Rowe Furniture

Mountain View
Angelica Garment
Conaway Winter
A boat factory

Mountain Grove
Arlee Home Fashions
Fordick
Steel Company

Poplar Bluff
Dalton Adding Machines
Essex (Dow Chemical)
Rowe Furniture Company
Smiley Container
Mopek Plastics

Portageville
PLASTENE

Puxico
A uniform plant

Rolla
Briggs and Stratton

Sikeston
Bunny Bread
Canvas Products
Coca Cola
Cotts Bev. layoffs
Essex Wire
Fleming Foods
Growe's Sportswear
Heritage Homes
Inman Trucking
National Lock
Trans-o-gram toys
Triangle Wire
A wallet factory
A brass company
C&F Foods

Steele
Milwaukee Tool
Steele Manufacturing

Thayer
Arlee Home Fashions

Van Buren
Paramount Cap

West Plains
AMYX
Arlee Home Fashions
Gardner's Shoe
Joy Dog Food

Factories with several locations that closed in southern Missouri
Paramount Cap, Arlee Home Fashions, Elders Manufacturing, H.D. Lee, Inland Shoe, Brown Shoe, International Shoe.

Representative Jo Ann Emerson voted for the bailout of WALL STREET & FOREIGN BANKERS, and she voted for job killing “Free Trade” Policies.
Voted YES on promoting Free Trade with Peru (November 2007)
Voted NO on assisting workers who lose jobs due to outsourcing of jobs (October 2007)
Voted YES on implementing Central America Free Trade Act (July 2005)
Voted YES on implementing Free Trade Agreement with Singapore (July 2003)
Voted YES on implementing Free Trade Agreement with Chile (July 2003)
Voted NO on withdrawing from the World Trade Organization (June 2000)
Voted YES on PERMENANT Most Favored Nation Trade Status for Communist China (2000)
Voted YES on 'Fast Track' authority for Trade Agreements (September 1998)

You are free to vote for whom you wish on November 4th. Especially, now, since Jo Ann Emerson voted for the Bailout of greedy Wall Street gambling bankers and Foreign Banks with our money, and that they are now using that money to buy up other banks for themselves, pay dividends to their Shareholders, and to pay their executives bonuses... with our money... instead of loaning it out to get the economy going, I will not be voting for Jo Ann Emerson.

This year, their is a Conservative, pro-life, pro-property rights, pro-gun with an.... A.... from the NRA Democrat by the name of Joe Allen. I have met him, believe him to be honest, so, that is who I will be voting for this year.

Last week, over 360 NEW visitors met Joe Allen at www.allen4congress.com
Whatever

Branson, MO

#18 Nov 1, 2008
Southern Son, you now have me shaking my head. I did not realize just how many factories have closed in our area. No wonder we are a poverty area!

You didn't have to convince me of who to vote for. I've never been a Jo Ann Emerson fan.
Southern Son

Chesterfield, MO

#19 Nov 2, 2008
Whatever,

The sad fact is, some of us were Jo Ann Emerson fans, or, we supported Bill Emerson and that support stayed on when Jo Ann came in after Bill Emerson died.

I am trying to atone for my previous mistake of supporting people who did not truly represent us. I did give to Bill Emerson.. but, I began my change to independent, in 1993, when he voted for NAFTA. I never voted for Jo Ann Emerson. I usually left that position blank on my ballot.

If you want to see who Joe Allen represents, I have a photo that was taken in the western part of the district on Saturday during his final weekend, Whistle Stop Tour. They are the kind of people that Joe Allen represents.. they are us.

Also, if you would like to see a photo of a FORMER BIG TIME REPUBLICAN SUPPORTER of Jo Ann Emerson who made an ANTI-BAILOUT sign, crossed out Jo Ann Emerson's name on her campaign sign, stuck them on a big board in the back of his pick-up and showed up at her meger rally a couple weeks ago in Rolla, let me know. I will email them to anyone who asks for them. That same good Republican, showed up on Saturday in Rolla to meet Joe Allen at the Sawmill Restaurant for Joe's breakfast stop there to meet the folks of Rolla. It is a great photo. I had heard about that Republican through the grapevine after he showed up in Rolla at Emerson's so-called rally after her bailout vote. This Republican lays it on the line... no question, he is voting for Joe Allen.

Folks, if you would like either photo, the one with the folks, like us who Joe will represent, or, the one of the angry, good Republican who is fed up with Jo Ann Emerson, just email me.. robertgoodbody@gmail.com I will send one or both to you.

In the meantime, come see why nearly 100 NEW visitors came to Joe Allen's website in a single day, on Saturday.. www.allen4congress.com
Jo Must Go

United States

#20 Jun 16, 2012
Southern Son wrote:
Thank you all for contributing the names of Plants that have closed, and major employers who are gone from our Congressional District in the last 10 years. It is so sad, and it makes me angry, to see such a massive list of jobs that we no longer have.
In 1980, there were FIFTY shoe factories in the 8th Congressional District. Today there are NONE.
Advance
Inland Shoe
Bernie
IXL closed south plant
Caruthersville
Box Factory
Bridge Wheel
Colson
Gates Rubber,
Missouri Fabrication
RT Friction
Chaffee
Columbia Sportswear
Box Factory
Cape Girardeau
Bunny Bread
Dana Corporation
Emerson Electric
Nuth Rubber
Tri-Con Seat Covers
Thorngate - 250 jobs
Charleston
Gates Rubber
Corning Factories
Balser Harts
Corning, Arkansas
Dexter
Arvin (Downsized > )
Elders Manufacturing
Paramount Cap
Prestige Printing
Purolator
Doniphan
Lignetics
FEDCO
A windmill factory
Katie’s Needle
East Prairie
Story's Popcorn
Farmington
Tyco?
Huffy Bike
Kennett
Emerson Electric
UARCO
Malden
Circle D
Federal Mogul
Sterling Piston
Yakel
C.B. Forms
A garment factory
RTW cutting tools
Marquand
The Crayon factory
Morehouse
Rowe Furniture
Mountain View
Angelica Garment
Conaway Winter
A boat factory
Mountain Grove
Arlee Home Fashions
Fordick
Steel Company
Poplar Bluff
Dalton Adding Machines
Essex (Dow Chemical)
Rowe Furniture Company
Smiley Container
Mopek Plastics
Portageville
PLASTENE
Puxico
A uniform plant
Rolla
Briggs and Stratton
Sikeston
Bunny Bread
Canvas Products
Coca Cola
Cotts Bev. layoffs
Essex Wire
Fleming Foods
Growe's Sportswear
Heritage Homes
Inman Trucking
National Lock
Trans-o-gram toys
Triangle Wire
A wallet factory
A brass company
C&F Foods
Steele
Milwaukee Tool
Steele Manufacturing
Thayer
Arlee Home Fashions
Van Buren
Paramount Cap
West Plains
AMYX
Arlee Home Fashions
Gardner's Shoe
Joy Dog Food
Factories with several locations that closed in southern Missouri
Paramount Cap, Arlee Home Fashions, Elders Manufacturing, H.D. Lee, Inland Shoe, Brown Shoe, International Shoe.
Representative Jo Ann Emerson voted for the bailout of WALL STREET & FOREIGN BANKERS, and she voted for job killing “Free Trade” Policies.
Voted YES on promoting Free Trade with Peru (November 2007)
Voted NO on assisting workers who lose jobs due to outsourcing of jobs (October 2007)
Voted YES on implementing Central America Free Trade Act (July 2005)
Voted YES on implementing Free Trade Agreement with Singapore (July 2003)
Voted YES on implementing Free Trade Agreement with Chile (July 2003)
Voted NO on withdrawing from the World Trade Organization (June 2000)
Voted YES on PERMENANT Most Favored Nation Trade Status for Communist China (2000)
Voted YES on 'Fast Track' authority for Trade Agreements (September 1998)
You are free to vote for whom you wish on November 4th. Especially, now, since Jo Ann Emerson voted for the Bailout of greedy Wall Street gambling bankers and Foreign Banks with our money, and that they are now using that money to buy up other banks for themselves, pay dividends to their Shareholders, and to pay their executives bonuses... with our money... instead of loaning it out to get the economy going, I will not be voting for Jo Ann Emerson.
This year, their is a Conservative, pro-life, pro-property rights, pro-gun with an.... A.... from the NRA Democrat by the name of Joe Allen. I have met him, believe him to be honest, so, that is who I will be voting for this year.
Last week, over 360 NEW visitors met Joe Allen at www.allen4congress.com
Jo must go!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mindless Mob In Saint Louis 7 min Titus 2 for real 16
Creasy Bear explains flatbread 16 min Titus 2 for real 6
caught 21 min Titus 2 for real 38
no rights!!! 1 hr Harry Balzonyah 1
Black poop 1 hr Harry Balzonyah 1
Poll Does Anyone know any hot awesome Drummers? (Jun '09) 1 hr Mr Clean 3
Brandy Russell (Sep '10) 2 hr Mr Clean 42

West Plains Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance