pentecostal churches....are they cons...

pentecostal churches....are they considered a cult?

Posted in the West Plains Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
kendra

Columbia, MO

#1 Nov 6, 2009
husband's people are pentecostals.........they seem to worship the pastor....and they won't let them watch tv and wear the long skirts and hair up and no jewelry for the women..the men can dress in designer clothes......no tv but they can have their computers that they carry with them to write on facebook etc......and their blackberry phones......and just different things that bother me.......they talk about other people....make other people feel that they are not worthy.......ill write more tomorrow..........what opinions are out there for me .....to help me understand this religion.......they have no tv in their house, but they can send their children to grandpa's house to watch tv all day long....is that not wrong? and when they are there to get the kids that are watching tv...well, they sit there and watch it too..........am i missing something???? help me out with this...it is on my mind.......... need to understand more about this..........and if they don't like you....u are not going to be able to join the church.......they halloween, xmas, and fourth of july....they use firecrackers at thanksgiving, xmas, and all holidays that usually don't use that stuff......i am confused...iknow there is one man who can help..........i will call on traveler to help me understand this..or others can give me opinions..........
Marshall J Biesen

United States

#2 Nov 6, 2009
It's a free country and many people in it interpret the Bible in various ways and then gather a following that also adheres to that realm of thought. I was taught to question. Religiously speaking, my mother, a good Christian woman, said "Go where you are fed." In other words, find a church that fills your personal needs. The Bible has been looked at by so many scholars in the field that even they are confused. Do you think that 1 Pastor in a single religion has all the answers? I shopped many churches throughout the world. I was even a Quaker for several years, but, alas, I was not being fed. I now attend Lifeline Ministries here in West Plains and I am now being fed. Yse, it is an alternative church because only Christian Rock is played. There are 1,054 references to music in the Bible. Some of us tired of those old hymns and Christian Rock was born. Some of us tired of the Pastor always fitting money into the Sunday message. Some of us tired of the 90 minute crusader that spouted fire and brimstone. We found a diferent place to worship where a meaningful message that applies directly to your life can only take 20 min. After that people start looking at their watch. Great music that praises God and our Saviour with lyrics thet you can relate to and many times bring tears to your eyes. Where the joy and family atmosphere is immediately felt when you enter. Lifeline exists right here in West Plains, I'm sure there is a church that you will find that feeds your need. Think of the agony of being crucified. Looking for the church that fills your needs will never be that painful of a journey.....Don't give up.

May God bless you Richly
empty pockets

Eldridge, MO

#3 Nov 7, 2009
ok.....i can tell you have never looked up the defination of the word cult. so i so politly did it for you........

- religion: a system of religious or spiritual beliefs, especially an informal and transient belief system regarded by …
- religious group: a group of people who share religious or spiritual beliefs, especially beliefs regarded by others as…
- idolization of somebody or something: an extreme or excessive admiration for a person, philosophy of life, or activity

so therefore to answer your question.......yes they are a cult. any religion or group that believes in any certain thing or group of things is a cult. now there are good cults and bad cults. but for sure you will never find a bad christian....you may find one that is bad and claims to be a christian...but the proof is in the puddn and if they are bad....they arnt a christian!

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#4 Nov 7, 2009
Yes, my brother and family got on a kick once of no television, my sister in law wearing the long dresses, no jeans, etc. They would go over to my mom's and watch "the devil's appliance" so she could keep up on the soaps and my brother could watch westerns. Go figure..........

I think any religion can be taken to the extreme. As far as I'm concerned if you've asked the Lord for forgiveness of your sins and you lead a life where you follow the Golden Rule and help others, you are a Christian. Just my opinion.
Bad to Question

Ozark, MO

#5 Nov 7, 2009
WS Lady Di wrote:
Yes, my brother and family got on a kick once of no television, my sister in law wearing the long dresses, no jeans, etc. They would go over to my mom's and watch "the devil's appliance" so she could keep up on the soaps and my brother could watch westerns. Go figure..........
I think any religion can be taken to the extreme. As far as I'm concerned if you've asked the Lord for forgiveness of your sins and you lead a life where you follow the Golden Rule and help others, you are a Christian. Just my opinion.
I am sure one of the main reason's TV is is forbidden is due to the content of todays programs. However, have you ever thought that one the reasons they do not allow TV is due to the money? Makes sense that since cable or Dish costs money,
if they dont allow it, leaves more money that can be given to the church when the offering plate is passed around!
Hmmmm, give that some thought!

Since: Sep 09

United States

#6 Nov 7, 2009
would the fact that "if they dont like you, you are not able to join the church" be considered christian like? i personally dont think so. sounds to me like they are juding you, and that isnt their place. i have never been to a penticostal church though, so i really dont know. sounds kind of hypocritical to me though, to not be allowed tv, but yet go other places to watch it and so forth...
Whole Truth

Chestnutridge, MO

#7 Nov 7, 2009
II CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 11
14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Since: Oct 09

United States

#8 Nov 7, 2009
WS Lady Di wrote:

(((I think any religion can be taken to the extreme. As far as I'm concerned if you've asked the Lord for forgiveness of your sins and you lead a life where you follow the Golden Rule and help others, you are a Christian. Just my opinion.)))
Very well said. My church is where ever I happen to be.

I was raised in a penicostal church when I was younger. We had to wear the dresses, no make up, and no jewerly. I was always scared to death with all the jumping, hollering and chairs flying across the room. I was always glad when my mom got mad at the preacher and we could go back to being "normal".

I've been to other churchs and have seen lots of things. Some people who had been in a bar the night before drunk and with a man "not " there husband. I figured if people could raise hell all week and get religest on Sunday ,they were'nt any better off that I was.

I belive in God and I pray everyday. I dont need a church with a bunch of hypercrites to has peace in my heart.
Whole Truth

Chestnutridge, MO

#9 Nov 8, 2009
MARK CHAPTER 2
17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
No Religion

United States

#10 Nov 9, 2009
kendra wrote:
husband's people are pentecostals...
You married someone without even doing a small amount of research on their family background?

What kind of Pentecostal Cult are they? Are they Branhamnites?
White Bubba

Moline, IL

#11 Nov 9, 2009
ALL organized religion sucks.
Marshall J Biesen

Branson, MO

#12 Nov 15, 2009
White Bubba wrote:
ALL organized religion sucks.
Oh!!!!!! Very original and helpful!
OrangeCrush

Chestnutridge, MO

#13 Nov 26, 2009
kendra wrote:
husband's people are pentecostals.........they seem to worship the pastor....and they won't let them watch tv and wear the long skirts and hair up and no jewelry for the women..the men can dress in designer clothes......no tv but they can have their computers that they carry with them to write on facebook etc......and their blackberry phones......and just different things that bother me.......they talk about other people....make other people feel that they are not worthy.......ill write more tomorrow..........what opinions are out there for me .....to help me understand this religion.......they have no tv in their house, but they can send their children to grandpa's house to watch tv all day long....is that not wrong? and when they are there to get the kids that are watching tv...well, they sit there and watch it too..........am i missing something???? help me out with this...it is on my mind.......... need to understand more about this..........and if they don't like you....u are not going to be able to join the church.......they halloween, xmas, and fourth of july....they use firecrackers at thanksgiving, xmas, and all holidays that usually don't use that stuff......i am confused...iknow there is one man who can help..........i will call on traveler to help me understand this..or others can give me opinions..........
Pentecostalism IS a cult, but not necessarily a negative one. It came about in the early 1940's, mainly as "brush arbor" congregations in areas like ours, where people came together in the backwoods with a strong desire to have as close a relationship with God/Jesus as possible. After many years, it transformed into a staunchly conservative take on life transformed into a religion and remains so to this day. The only really disturbing thing about them is glossolalia (speaking in tongues) and the fact that women are considered one step above animals (although that is common to all overly conservative faiths worldwide).
fugly

United States

#15 Nov 26, 2009
OrangeCrush wrote:
<quoted text>
The only really disturbing thing about them is glossolalia (speaking in tongues) and the fact that women are considered one step above animals (although that is common to all overly conservative faiths worldwide).
Those aren't the ONLY disturbing things about them, but that's plenty.
JustWondering

Chestnutridge, MO

#16 Nov 27, 2009
Why would it be that the 'club' is bad because some members didn't want to follow the rules?
Wouldn't it be more like, the 'members' were bad for joining a club they didn't want to follow the rules of?
cruisin

West Plains, MO

#17 Nov 27, 2009
Grew up going to pentecostal and baptist churches. In my opinion, they are no more a cult than the man on the moon. Besides, why should it matter.
Pentecostal-Thru Thru

Ozark, MO

#18 Dec 1, 2009
Kendra,
Hello, I just happened upon your posting. I have to tell you that I am a PENTECOSTAL and proud to be. I have been since I was born. I was brought up in a Pentecostal Pastors home and my whole family was Pentecostal Ministers also. Everyone has their own oppinions but while looking thru this posting I almost felt sick to my stomach. Are the Catholic, Babtist, Nazarine, Church of Christ, Or any other religions also considered cults? Im not sure what church that you are talking about because there is quite a few here in town but I can say that our church does have certain beliefs but as far as Im conserned we are all striving to make it to the same place. HEAVEN, we may go at it different ways but we are all trying to get there and I think there will be lots of people from all different places there that we would be suprised at. Just because Im a Pentecost dosent mean that I think We are the only ones that get to heaven and I also think that there are some Pentecost that wont get to heaven. A title dosent get you to heaven, its whats in your heart that counts.
I was brought up withOUT a tv in my home. Not because the bible says not to watch it but because the bible says "put no evil thing before you" I have a tv in my home today but try to control what is watched in my home. There are still some that will not have one but I agree with you whats the difference between me having one or watching it at someone elses house? I think alot of that is that its something that was brought down from Generation to generation. There are Hypocrits in every religon In my personal oppinion. I havent met a perfect person yet.
I will say as far as the dress, WE ARE NOT MADE TO DRESS THAT WAY. Its a choice, something we do because we feel its just a modest thing. I think you can be stylish and modest at the same time. We are NOT asked to dress like the people on little house on the praire. As a matter of fact my Pastors wife is one of the Classiest dressing ladies that I know. I will tell you that religion shouldnt make you who you are, you can tell a christian by their apperiance and their actions not a name tag that is placed above their church heading. My husband who was not brought up pentecost says that "Pentecost is an Experiance, not a religion". To be a christian simply means to be Christ like. Please check it out dont just go by what is told to you because things somehow have a way of being blown out of preportion. I just happened upon a posting on facebook here a while back and seen that supposably we also handle snakes. I wouldnt come within 100 yards of a church that handeled snakes. Just be sure to know by experiance not just what is told to you. Sorry for such a long posting but it is something that is very deep inside me from a child up and dont like some of the things that I read on here.
OrangeCrush

Chestnutridge, MO

#19 Dec 1, 2009
Pentecostal-ThruThru wrote:
Kendra,
Hello, I just happened upon your posting. I have to tell you that I am a PENTECOSTAL and proud to be. I have been since I was born. I was brought up in a Pentecostal Pastors home and my whole family was Pentecostal Ministers also. Everyone has their own oppinions but while looking thru this posting I almost felt sick to my stomach. Are the Catholic, Babtist, Nazarine, Church of Christ, Or any other religions also considered cults? Im not sure what church that you are talking about because there is quite a few here in town but I can say that our church does have certain beliefs but as far as Im conserned we are all striving to make it to the same place. HEAVEN, we may go at it different ways but we are all trying to get there and I think there will be lots of people from all different places there that we would be suprised at. Just because Im a Pentecost dosent mean that I think We are the only ones that get to heaven and I also think that there are some Pentecost that wont get to heaven. A title dosent get you to heaven, its whats in your heart that counts.
I was brought up withOUT a tv in my home. Not because the bible says not to watch it but because the bible says "put no evil thing before you" I have a tv in my home today but try to control what is watched in my home. There are still some that will not have one but I agree with you whats the difference between me having one or watching it at someone elses house? I think alot of that is that its something that was brought down from Generation to generation. There are Hypocrits in every religon In my personal oppinion. I havent met a perfect person yet.
I will say as far as the dress, WE ARE NOT MADE TO DRESS THAT WAY. Its a choice, something we do because we feel its just a modest thing. I think you can be stylish and modest at the same time. We are NOT asked to dress like the people on little house on the praire. As a matter of fact my Pastors wife is one of the Classiest dressing ladies that I know. I will tell you that religion shouldnt make you who you are, you can tell a christian by their apperiance and their actions not a name tag that is placed above their church heading. My husband who was not brought up pentecost says that "Pentecost is an Experiance, not a religion". To be a christian simply means to be Christ like. Please check it out dont just go by what is told to you because things somehow have a way of being blown out of preportion. I just happened upon a posting on facebook here a while back and seen that supposably we also handle snakes. I wouldnt come within 100 yards of a church that handeled snakes. Just be sure to know by experiance not just what is told to you. Sorry for such a long posting but it is something that is very deep inside me from a child up and dont like some of the things that I read on here.
You are so right--being Christian does mean being "Christ-like". My only problem is with certain extremists who believe that a person has to believe as they do or they aren't Christian at all (a belief common to conservative Christians such as Pentecostals, Southern Baptists, Assemblies of God, Mennonites, etc.). That is not to say, necessarily, that these faiths are cults, but that to mandate people follow a certain set of rules or be cast out IS a component of a cult. The Bible states that, as long as a person has faith, he/she has a chance at eternal salvation (i.e. don't deny the facts and you may well be forgiven). I, personally, do not think children should be allowed to watch TV without an adult to teach them how to interpret what is being viewed (there is A LOT of utter crap being put forth by all media), but when someone from your church tells what/who/etc. you should/can/will listen to, you had better run.
Arff

Eldridge, MO

#20 Dec 1, 2009
No different from Catholics or any other group than binds mans interpretation of scripture on others. There are no laws anymore. That's why Jesus died for you and me.
forgiven

Sparta, MO

#22 Dec 4, 2009
hey, like you i have had to wonder about some things. but the good Lord forgave me and i will tell you what i think about churches in general. the Ten Commandments tell you a lot. but when it comes to dressing in long sleeves only dresses etc. you need to dress modestly but if you are living for the Lord He will definately let you know if you are in the right or wrong in the way you dress if you will listen for his voice. it's what's inside the persons heart that God looks at. of course, he doesn't want a woman to run down the street half naked. i think we all agree on that. but, the experience i've had with the long hair, long dresses, etc. i very seldom heard any good stuff come out of their mouths about other people. i came to the conclusion that these people needed a tv in stead of looking out the window. but i have had a terrible time getting that out of my system. i don't have to try to look like that. or anything else. i ask God daily what he wants me to do and say and to help me. no, i don't think the pentecostal churches are a cult. but, i do think that there are a lot of man made laws floating around to make others feel quitly because they were made to feel quilty about it. oh, i know i will be condemned for this. but, follow the Lords leading and don't let man make you feel unworthy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Flying R Ranch 21 min Just Curious 6
Boycott NFL 47 min RNC Rightwing NUT... 67
Info for Curious 2 hr Jack 23
Most disgusting people 2 hr bill 23
Motorcycle riding 2 hr bill 2
Tax payers 2 hr Mark 62
Which is the best Nursing Home in West Plains? (Dec '08) 2 hr Mark 107

West Plains Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance