Howell county sheriff department not ...
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Just Me

United States

#41 Jul 27, 2012
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not real! It's a made up Hedlesten thread!
I can tell you this much what ive posted is true and i dont know Hedlesten from Adam but he's got my vote cause he has to be better than the one we've got!
observer

United States

#42 Jul 27, 2012
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>I can tell you this much what ive posted is true and i dont know Hedlesten from Adam but he's got my vote cause he has to be better than the one we've got!
I don't know. He may have tough time getting to all of the calls himself. I've heard that many will not work for him.
truth

Willow Springs, MO

#43 Jul 27, 2012
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you this much what ive posted is true and i dont know Hedlesten from Adam but he's got my vote cause he has to be better than the one we've got!
I think shannon is doing as good as job for this county as anyone else has plus he has done more then most the rest so far. how many past sheriffs have been on the radio every week getting the public involved? how many past sheriffs took time to talk to you in person like this one does? The jail is at full capacity 7 days a week every yr for a reason and maybe it's the people of this county who aren't being good honest people and are breaking the law on a daily basis and ain't nobody gunna come into that ofice and change the people no matter who they think they are but this sheriff is at least from here and knows the locals that are of a bad seed and or as I put it have a genetic disorder in their blood line plus there isn't anything going to improve on the drug feild or crime that comes with drugs untill these leaders who think there so great don't get more and better paying jobs to this area and then and only then will this county see improvement. I vote for Mike Shannon to stay another term and keep on keeping his jail house full. I don't know of the other guy either but I do know no matter who is the sheriff around these parts won't get much done if these judges keep letting idiots roam our streets before they send them up the river for a stent. Nobody learns a lesson if they keep getting in trouble and know the judges arn't going to do anything to them for the first 10 crimes. I say build our own work camp in howell county and put the law breakers to work cleaning up the roadways and rivers and creeks and upkeep on all the county owned propertys and make them ware pink like that cool sheriff in Arizona does. Take away their pride and let them learn a lesson.
Jail Census

Ozark, MO

#44 Jul 27, 2012
Some things to consider about the jail census; every square foot of a jail cost money to operate and one way a county can make up for that is housing inmates from other counties, including other states. In some instances The arresting county will send & pay for an inmate to be placed in a separate facility for any number of reasons...overcrowding, protective custody, preserving testimony & evidence is just a few.
Yeah it is sad that our jails & prisons have to be full, but being full doesn't mean a sheriff is the one to blame. Every county jail in America is probably facing the same dilemma.
Another thing about this area, we have a state representative who has managed to funnel funds that would have been originally thought to be earmarked for the sheriff's office to use to enforce the law, but instead the money goes to our schools. So managing the budget is always an uphill battle.
whino

Branson, MO

#46 Jul 28, 2012
Carrie wrote:
<quoted text> Even at $20,000 a year that's really nothing for a job like they have to do, putting their lives on the line. Personally I think it's pretty sad that they get paid such low wages.
Not putting their life on the line as often as you may think...if watch TV, yes, every scene is life threating, but that is not Howell County, Missuori... but deputies carry guns, are trained well on using them, and have bullet proof equipment. They are more at risk driving on our terrible county roads, as we citizens do also, than
putting their LIVES on the line

Whether they make $20,000 or $60,000 a year, it's still the same risk factor...any productive citizen live has a value...
watching the flock

United States

#47 Jul 28, 2012
whino wrote:
<quoted text>Not putting their life on the line as often as you may think...if watch TV, yes, every scene is life threating, but that is not Howell County, Missuori... but deputies carry guns, are trained well on using them, and have bullet proof equipment. They are more at risk driving on our terrible county roads, as we citizens do also, than
putting their LIVES on the line

Whether they make $20,000 or $60,000 a year, it's still the same risk factor...any productive citizen live has a value...
The sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn’t tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go,“Baa.”

Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.”– Lt. Col. Grossman

Mr/Ms. Whino, I think you just said, "Baa"
Wait What

Branson, MO

#48 Mar 7, 2013
Joe wrote:
Probably because this is a civil matter and not criminal. There is nothing the Sheriff's Office can do. You will need to sue them in small claims court
so how is this different then the cop who decided to press charges on me for a civil dispute between me and my neighbor after i explained my neighbor refused to press charges and he took it upon himself to press the charges and write me a citation?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#49 Mar 7, 2013
Their busy eating Doughnuts
Lazy deputy

Willow Springs, MO

#50 Apr 7, 2013
We had the sheriff dept leave us a note about something that happen to our property and on that note they said to call them. When we called them they asked if we want to press charges on the person that did the damage. (which the sheriff deputy did just as much damage as the criminal)Which we replied yes. They said they would have to talk to the the district attorny to see if he would be will to press charges or not. I asked if I could fill out a report and get the info from the other guys insurance so at least I could make his insurance pay for the damage to my residents. The deputy said he would call me back that week. 2 weeks later I went to the sheriffs station and asked for a report for my insurance company when they handed it to me it had my name on it and nothing else. When I asked when the deputy was going to call me so I could make a report they said soon. I asked if I could just fill one out while I was there and they said I would have to wait to talk to the deputy. That was over 4 months ago and I still haven't heard from them. So all the repairs to my property came out of my pocket. I have a lot of respect for the officer that do their job, Heck my father was a cop for 14 yrs so I know what they have to go through but to just blow someone off and not do there job is un called for.
Gomer Pyle

Ozark, MO

#51 Apr 7, 2013
Lazy deputy wrote:
We had the sheriff dept leave us a note about something that happen to our property and on that note they said to call them. When we called them they asked if we want to press charges on the person that did the damage.(which the sheriff deputy did just as much damage as the criminal)Which we replied yes. They said they would have to talk to the the district attorny to see if he would be will to press charges or not. I asked if I could fill out a report and get the info from the other guys insurance so at least I could make his insurance pay for the damage to my residents. The deputy said he would call me back that week. 2 weeks later I went to the sheriffs station and asked for a report for my insurance company when they handed it to me it had my name on it and nothing else. When I asked when the deputy was going to call me so I could make a report they said soon. I asked if I could just fill one out while I was there and they said I would have to wait to talk to the deputy. That was over 4 months ago and I still haven't heard from them. So all the repairs to my property came out of my pocket. I have a lot of respect for the officer that do their job, Heck my father was a cop for 14 yrs so I know what they have to go through but to just blow someone off and not do there job is un called for.
You should make a citizen's arrest on the deputy!
wp person

Ozark, MO

#52 May 18, 2013
the only reason they cant respond all over the county is because they only have 2 units working every night thats why they most of the time have to have the highway patrol back them up if we had more units to work at night instead of the day then they could respond promptly to the calls that they get
Live in your own world

Branson, MO

#54 May 19, 2013
Howell County Sheriff's Dept is a disgrace to law enforcement, a bunch of little Hitlers, and wanna be bad ass bikers on the weekend. people in Howell county need to have a dash cam on their car as well. Howell County is known to edit their dash cams in their favor.
burnham

Osceola, MO

#55 May 20, 2013
HCSD ain't what it used to be. Not sure where they would find good replacements if they cleaned house however
Sigh

Elkhorn, NE

#56 May 26, 2013
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband is one of these men u are bashing as a police man! He works his ass off all freaking night and morning running to calls some many many miles apart. Maybe southfork or moody all the way to mt view or willow. And they do this their entire shift. Sometime wrecking and almost dying themselves. I've seen their wrecks heard their storys. No one care cause they are cops...they do their best. Plus dispatch isn't always the best at passing alomg messages esp one lady. So don't blame the men working hard u should have called back cause shift may have changed and the call lost! But u could also be trying to start a bashing thread where there not need any! These men and women get paid less then min wage...about 20,000 a year to put them selves in some pretty bad situations yeah some of u may think they don't do their job what if that dwi they just got woulda hit and killed one of ur loved ones.what if the crack head that just tried to shoot them killed ur loved one. Ya know there's a lot of what ifs out there. Maybe instead of bashing them u should thank them! Cause what if someone was holding u at gun point robbing u threatening to rape, beat, kill ur family ur gonna wish the cops were there to help! So maybe u should wonder what they were doing who they were helping while u were just mad about furniture...maybe they were helping save someones life.!! Which could be true!
First, the OP was complaining about the Sheriff running the department, not the work of the deputies. If it is dispatch losing the messages as you suggest, it is the sheriff that is responsible for them performing their job correctly.
Second, minimum wage is about $15,000 per year.$20,000 is not nearly enough to do this job, but it is more than minimum wage.
Third, the people working law enforcement choose that line of work. Not saying we shouldn't appreciate the work that they do, but they do choose the job and all of the associated risks. I don't know if they need their spouse defending them on an internet forum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Words Matter 3 min grave digger 24
grave digger, warrior, and creepy bear 7 min Moon Raker 6
Obamagate 13 min okimar 104
Not trump like. 15 min Moon Raker 11
Deaf people in West Plains? (Feb '13) 16 min Moon Raker 11
Bose Sound 21 min Moon Raker 4
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 27 min TRUMPOCALYPSE 109,967
why the anger? 34 min TRUMPOCALYPSE 65

West Plains Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Plains Mortgages