Howell county sheriff department not ...

Howell county sheriff department not responding to theft

Posted in the West Plains Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Pisssed

Ozark, MO

#1 Jul 9, 2012
We were renting out a furnished house and the tenant left taking several things that were not his. We called the Howell County Sheriff Department at 7:36P.M. At that time they told us their were not deputies available and that they would call us back right away. It is now after midnight and no one has called us back. I don't know who the next sheriff needs to be but our current one is not doing his job.
Barack

Ava, MO

#2 Jul 9, 2012
Ive been hearing that from several people lately thats why we need to elect a new sheriff lets vote him out.
time for change

United States

#3 Jul 9, 2012
Pisssed wrote:
We were renting out a furnished house and the tenant left taking several things that were not his. We called the Howell County Sheriff Department at 7:36P.M. At that time they told us their were not deputies available and that they would call us back right away. It is now after midnight and no one has called us back. I don't know who the next sheriff needs to be but our current one is not doing his job.
We have the same problems here in oregon county So I definitely understand your frustration Hopefully ill keep calling them until someone shows up fill out a police report and let them know about how Displeased you are.
HCSO Supporter

United States

#4 Jul 10, 2012
Maybe you all should stop to think about how many deputies they have working for the area our county is. You guys all want to grip and moan when they don't show up and you grip if you get pulled over. They normally have two officers on at a time that covers all of WP, Willow, and Mt View. Stop and think about how many people work in a McDonalds drive thru just to make it run smoothly what 10. That has nothing to do with the sheriff that is the county commissioners not wanting to shell more money out for cops. I support these men and women as they bust their asses for crap pay. Maybe you should too.
Officer Bowden

Cross Timbers, MO

#5 Jul 10, 2012
I'm thinking about running and cleaning up this area. I'm tough...but "fair".

*** I'm Officer Bowden and I approved this message since I wrote it.
yep

Branson, MO

#6 Jul 10, 2012
HCSO Supporter wrote:
Maybe you all should stop to think about how many deputies they have working for the area our county is. You guys all want to grip and moan when they don't show up and you grip if you get pulled over. They normally have two officers on at a time that covers all of WP, Willow, and Mt View. Stop and think about how many people work in a McDonalds drive thru just to make it run smoothly what 10. That has nothing to do with the sheriff that is the county commissioners not wanting to shell more money out for cops. I support these men and women as they bust their asses for crap pay. Maybe you should too.
I agree and would like to add the voters who vote NO when law enforcement wants a small tax increase are also to blame.
Pisssed

Ozark, MO

#7 Jul 10, 2012
HCSO Supporter wrote:
Maybe you all should stop to think about how many deputies they have working for the area our county is. You guys all want to grip and moan when they don't show up and you grip if you get pulled over. They normally have two officers on at a time that covers all of WP, Willow, and Mt View. Stop and think about how many people work in a McDonalds drive thru just to make it run smoothly what 10. That has nothing to do with the sheriff that is the county commissioners not wanting to shell more money out for cops. I support these men and women as they bust their asses for crap pay. Maybe you should too.
How efficient is it to have deputies on duty looking for potential traffic violators when they have a call of a known theft? Still have not heard anything from them and its been 20+ hours.
Joe

Newton, IA

#8 Jul 10, 2012
Probably because this is a civil matter and not criminal. There is nothing the Sheriff's Office can do. You will need to sue them in small claims court
pepper

Ozark, MO

#9 Jul 10, 2012
Pisssed wrote:
We were renting out a furnished house and the tenant left taking several things that were not his. We called the Howell County Sheriff Department at 7:36P.M. At that time they told us their were not deputies available and that they would call us back right away. It is now after midnight and no one has called us back. I don't know who the next sheriff needs to be but our current one is not doing his job.
you took the thief's info when you signed the lease....sue him to get it back...I'm sure the background check you ran on your tenant came back so clean, you never thought he would rip you off! The Sheriff dept not going to do your work for you and they shouldn't...get off your lazy azz, and drive to the office and fill out a report....What did they steal, the wheels off the mobile home you rented them?

“USS Bainbridge CGN-25”

Since: Jun 11

San Diego Pier 5

#10 Jul 10, 2012
Joe and Pepper are right. Check your insurance policy too if you have one. You might find some help there.
Pisssed

Ozark, MO

#11 Jul 10, 2012
Since I found out how low of a priority it is to the law enforcement of this area I found out his new place of residence, went there and took all the stuff back. As much taxes as I pay I should not have to do this. I am very disappointed. If I find their is a worthwhile person running against the current sheriff he is going to get a large donation from me.
spencer

Ozark, MO

#12 Jul 11, 2012
Joe wrote:
Probably because this is a civil matter and not criminal. There is nothing the Sheriff's Office can do. You will need to sue them in small claims court
Wow thats awesome. I can go and steal stuff without worrying about the sheriff's department barking at my heals? Ya they could always take me to small claims court but who is going to pay a large some of money to get property back that is not worth what they would have to pay a lawyer. This is a great venture for all of the unemployed people of the area. Hooray!!!!
They apparently are not worried about illegal substances either. It seems to that I cannot go to a gas station, mcdonalds, or walmart without seeing an employee or customer that you can just tell is on something. But dam we can't have a hard working person going 5 over the speed limit on their way home from working all night, or god forbid they have a tail light out of their vehicle.
This is all great news for all you sleezy meth head thiefs out their. Come to Howell County!!!
I bet if you look hard enough we even have a signficant quantity of prostitutes...after all its cheaper then having a wife or being divorced!
landlord

Branson, MO

#13 Jul 11, 2012
Pisssed wrote:
<quoted text>
How efficient is it to have deputies on duty looking for potential traffic violators when they have a call of a known theft? Still have not heard anything from them and its been 20+ hours.
As a landlord you should know that if your tenant damages or steals fixtures etc from the home it is a civil matter. Is it fair? NO, but that is part of being a landlord. The only thing the police can do for you is to make a formal report of the incident that you can use in court. You don't HAVE to have this but it does help in court. Then you have to sue them. It is up to you whether you want to waste your time and $75 filing/servicing fee to get a judgement against someone who probably will never pay you. If you want to pursue this then go down to the sheriff's dept (minus the attitude) and have them file a report for you. I know what happened to you is terrible and I know the financial ramifications of it as well. I am sorry that your tenant did this to you. But don't blame law enforcement that usually has only 2 deputies on duty at night for not considering a civil matter an emergency. A change in sheriff will not do anything for this problem. The department needs money badly.
wp person

West Plains, MO

#14 Jul 11, 2012
they only have 2 deputies working each night to cover the whole county which is stupid considering its a big county
pisssed

Ozark, MO

#15 Jul 11, 2012
landlord wrote:
<quoted text>
As a landlord you should know that if your tenant damages or steals fixtures etc from the home it is a civil matter. Is it fair? NO, but that is part of being a landlord. The only thing the police can do for you is to make a formal report of the incident that you can use in court. You don't HAVE to have this but it does help in court. Then you have to sue them. It is up to you whether you want to waste your time and $75 filing/servicing fee to get a judgement against someone who probably will never pay you. If you want to pursue this then go down to the sheriff's dept (minus the attitude) and have them file a report for you. I know what happened to you is terrible and I know the financial ramifications of it as well. I am sorry that your tenant did this to you. But don't blame law enforcement that usually has only 2 deputies on duty at night for not considering a civil matter an emergency. A change in sheriff will not do anything for this problem. The department needs money badly.
If they had simply told me it was a civil matter and their was not much they could do that would have been sufficient, but instead they told me they had no available depueties and would call me back asap. They never responded. Thats what really bothered me. I think at a minimum they could have told me their wasn't much they could do or at least called me back like they said they would.
Joe

Bolivar, MO

#16 Jul 12, 2012
pisssed wrote:
<quoted text>
If they had simply told me it was a civil matter and their was not much they could do that would have been sufficient, but instead they told me they had no available depueties and would call me back asap. They never responded. Thats what really bothered me. I think at a minimum they could have told me their wasn't much they could do or at least called me back like they said they would.
The dispatchers don't know the law and couldn't tell you what to do....
i call BS

United States

#17 Jul 14, 2012
If you reallt called this in post your date and initials so it can be looked it up. But and I say but I am betting this is another "seed" of BS planted by the underhanded bunch of Hedlesten supporters to slander Mike. Like I said if ya got the nuts post up your info so we all know its true.
WOW

Fulton, MO

#18 Jul 15, 2012
Pisssed wrote:
Since I found out how low of a priority it is to the law enforcement of this area I found out his new place of residence, went there and took all the stuff back. As much taxes as I pay I should not have to do this. I am very disappointed. If I find their is a worthwhile person running against the current sheriff he is going to get a large donation from me.
My husband is one of these men u are bashing as a police man! He works his ass off all freaking night and morning running to calls some many many miles apart. Maybe southfork or moody all the way to mt view or willow. And they do this their entire shift. Sometime wrecking and almost dying themselves. I've seen their wrecks heard their storys. No one care cause they are cops...they do their best. Plus dispatch isn't always the best at passing alomg messages esp one lady. So don't blame the men working hard u should have called back cause shift may have changed and the call lost! But u could also be trying to start a bashing thread where there not need any! These men and women get paid less then min wage...about 20,000 a year to put them selves in some pretty bad situations yeah some of u may think they don't do their job what if that dwi they just got woulda hit and killed one of ur loved ones.what if the crack head that just tried to shoot them killed ur loved one. Ya know there's a lot of what ifs out there. Maybe instead of bashing them u should thank them! Cause what if someone was holding u at gun point robbing u threatening to rape, beat, kill ur family ur gonna wish the cops were there to help! So maybe u should wonder what they were doing who they were helping while u were just mad about furniture...maybe they were helping save someones life.!! Which could be true!
WOW

Fulton, MO

#19 Jul 15, 2012
wp person wrote:
they only have 2 deputies working each night to cover the whole county which is stupid considering its a big county
they only have 1 working texas co and its the largest county....and yes there are only 2 but some times they do call others to come help. Plus since everyone voted against the tax for law enforcement there isn't enough in budget to pay for anymore deputies then that
property management

Kirbyville, MO

#20 Jul 15, 2012
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband is one of these men u are bashing as a police man! He works his ass off all freaking night and morning running to calls some many many miles apart. Maybe southfork or moody all the way to mt view or willow. And they do this their entire shift. Sometime wrecking and almost dying themselves. I've seen their wrecks heard their storys. No one care cause they are cops...they do their best. Plus dispatch isn't always the best at passing alomg messages esp one lady. So don't blame the men working hard u should have called back cause shift may have changed and the call lost! But u could also be trying to start a bashing thread where there not need any! These men and women get paid less then min wage...about 20,000 a year to put them selves in some pretty bad situations yeah some of u may think they don't do their job what if that dwi they just got woulda hit and killed one of ur loved ones.what if the crack head that just tried to shoot them killed ur loved one. Ya know there's a lot of what ifs out there. Maybe instead of bashing them u should thank them! Cause what if someone was holding u at gun point robbing u threatening to rape, beat, kill ur family ur gonna wish the cops were there to help! So maybe u should wonder what they were doing who they were helping while u were just mad about furniture...maybe they were helping save someones life.!! Which could be true!
If they are getting 20,000 a year they are getting more than minimum wage, do your math.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NRA incoming donations TRIPLE 11 min Sport 162
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 24 min Christian Patriot 110,418
Trumps Nobel Prize 7 hr Christian Patriot 1
At it again 13 hr Moon Raker 3
Put on the full armor of God and fight the Sata... 13 hr Moon Raker 5
my man dave 'sparky' stone (Jan '12) 23 hr Howner 35
local election for Judge Thu No way 27

West Plains Jobs

Personal Finance

West Plains Mortgages