West Plains billboard depicts Obama wearing a turban

Oct 9, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Springfield News Leader

A billboard in West Plains, Mo., showing a caricature of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama wearing a turban has caused quite a stir in town.

Comments
1 - 20 of 1,003 Comments Last updated 11 hrs ago
First Prev
of 51
Next Last
justme65793

Ozark, MO

#1 Oct 9, 2008
Is this for real?
Whatever

Forsyth, MO

#2 Oct 9, 2008
It's for real and it's disgusting. Childish and disgusting.
Redneck Central

Hartville, MO

#3 Oct 9, 2008
It is the mentality of most around West Plains. Simpletons.

For God's sakes. Most of them are still praising Bush!
mr pauly

United States

#4 Oct 9, 2008
the billboard is all truth
Redneck Central

Hartville, MO

#5 Oct 9, 2008
mr pauly wrote:
It's the mentality of most around West Plains. Simpletons
Whatever

Forsyth, MO

#6 Oct 9, 2008
mr pauly wrote:
I expected better than that out of you.

The billboard made KY3 News so everyone can know how ignorant people can be in this area.
Redneck Central

Hartville, MO

#7 Oct 9, 2008
KY3 viewers will just laugh at it. Springfield is even more blindly Republican than the hypocritical, narrow-minded, abortion-clinic-bombing, hate-crime-committing-homophob ic, machine-gun-owning NRA members in white-supremacist Howell County.
Anonymous

Columbia, MO

#8 Oct 9, 2008
The message of the sign, I have no problem with. It's the burlesque drawing that's plain wrong.
Billboard Is Illegal

Hartville, MO

#9 Oct 9, 2008
Saddam was an angel compared to McCain and Bush. How about if I put up a billboard with Sidney McCain in a military uniform using a bazooka to blow an Iraqi child to bloody and gory bits? There would be an outrage.

The sign is clearly a hate crime directed towards American Arabs and Muslims, but nothing will be done about it because the holyrolling Republicans that are in control of the county are snickering.

If the owner of that sign lets it remain standing, you know he is the culprit and is lying.
newanarchy

Fort Worth, TX

#10 Oct 10, 2008
Billboard Is Illegal wrote:
Saddam was an angel compared to McCain and Bush. How about if I put up a billboard with Sidney McCain in a military uniform using a bazooka to blow an Iraqi child to bloody and gory bits? There would be an outrage.
The sign is clearly a hate crime directed towards American Arabs and Muslims, but nothing will be done about it because the holyrolling Republicans that are in control of the county are snickering.
If the owner of that sign lets it remain standing, you know he is the culprit and is lying.
Let them laugh, for now.
McCain08

United States

#11 Oct 10, 2008
Weshould see Obama for who he really is. If he never wore the thing there wouldnt be a picture of it. If you are offended than you might be a bigot.
McCain08

United States

#12 Oct 10, 2008
Sorry, We should.........
Whatever

Forsyth, MO

#13 Oct 10, 2008
Yes, the owner of the sign claims he does not know who put it up. Then why doesn't he just take it down? He's in cahoots with whoever put it up or he put it up himself.

Things will get even nastier before this election is over. We'll see who gets the last laugh.
harold

Mansfield, MO

#14 Oct 10, 2008
Obama will probably win the election but there will be no laughing because everyone who voted for him will wish they hadn't in the end.
Jomama

Willow Springs, MO

#15 Oct 10, 2008
harold wrote:
Obama will probably win the election but there will be no laughing because everyone who voted for him will wish they hadn't in the end.
Same as with McSame,only worse.McCain has anger problems,the Keating 5 controversy,a wife who stole from a charity she headed, in order to get to the prescription drugs she "was" addicted to!McCain says more than he actually does,oh, and then there is Palin!!!!Love Joe Biden,though! tata
Jomama

Willow Springs, MO

#16 Oct 10, 2008
Redneck Central wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the mentality of most around West Plains. Simpletons
I know.They all get beside themselves when there is talk of gays......but yet incest,molestation,sodomy & statutory rape are sooooo common in this area!Go figure.....
Billboard Is Illegal

Hartville, MO

#17 Oct 10, 2008
Apparently, the neighbors saw the landowner putting up the sign. This story has got attention beyond the Ozark region and he had to change his phone number.
Disgusted

Branson, MO

#18 Oct 10, 2008
Apparently, the neighbors saw the landowner putting up the sign. This story has got attention beyond the Ozark region and he had to change his phone number.
Indeed. This story has made the rounds of the blogoshere and is now popping up in major news outlets. Even a few sites across the Atlantic. The rest of the world is shocked and appalled at what passes for "normal" around here.

The upside is, I get the impression that Ronnie Ford is going to be hounded for the rest of his life.
Whatever

Forsyth, MO

#19 Oct 10, 2008
An embarrassment to our area. They say any publicity is good publicity but I think Howell County could have done without this.
Al Dente

Saint Louis, MO

#20 Oct 11, 2008
Nothing like a dose of the truth to send DemocRATS into a purple snit, is there?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 51
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 5 min smarty pants 1,804
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 34 min Believer 97,036
Meadowbrook 2 hr Sydsgrandma 4
Teen suspended for saying 'bless you'? 2 hr grave digger 23
Do you know? rules for cremation? (Oct '09) 2 hr I Agree 18
store door buzzers 3 hr Disgruntled Customer 2
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) 5 hr stupid bills for ... 6,930
•••
•••

West Plains Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

West Plains People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

West Plains News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in West Plains