Attn. Armstrong Wood Products Plant E...
hmmm

Des Moines, IA

#21 Feb 5, 2013
Hmmm I suck.
two pennies

Fairfax, VA

#22 Feb 6, 2013
Unions served a purpose once upon a time. Before labor regulations were in place and enforced, they helped the working man get a fair shake. In this day and age, especially this economy, a union can ride a profitable, sustainable business right down the toilet.
ohNOunion

Ozark, MO

#23 Feb 6, 2013
Wisegurl69 wrote:
Unions are no good out for themselves not for the common worker ;(
Union membership impacts every economic outcome that matters to ALL workers -- falling wages, rising health care costs, home foreclosures, the loss of manufacturing jobs and disappearing retirement benefits.

But the nation's unions lost 400,000 members in 2012 as the percentage of U.S. workers represented by a labor union fell to 11.3 percent, its lowest level since the 1930s - declining by 0.5 percent over the last year.

So the unions do NOTHING TO REALLY protect jobs, but companies will shut them down before they shutter non-union plants. Be glad you are still operating, given the housing market decline.
lmao

Branson, MO

#25 Feb 6, 2013
jack99 wrote:
Oldtimer you sound like a plant manager in disguise. So do you hmmm. Otherwise why would you talk against these employees even if just the talk of it scares there employer to give back what they've taken with no union. You both ought to be ashamed these people need our support I don't know about a union but our support would go along ways.
So anyone who doesn't agree with unions must be working for the company? The posters you mentioned are pointing out facts. My dad worked at Amyx for 27 years. Planned to retire there. Instead he found himself jobless at 51. No one wanted to hire a 51 year old with only factory experience. After working his butt off for low pay and shitty conditions he ended up losing almost everything. He now works in another factory and will until the day he dies or can't work. No retirement for him. That is what the union did for him. You say those posters should be ashamed of not supporting the workers. The way I see it they are telling the other side of unions. No one ever said employees didn't deserve better wages or benefits. You think the employer is going to get scared over something on Topix. Not when people will line up around the block to work for $11 an hour.
old zizzer

Forsyth, MO

#26 Feb 6, 2013
jack99 wrote:
Oldtimer you sound like a plant manager in disguise. So do you hmmm. Otherwise why would you talk against these employees even if just the talk of it scares there employer to give back what they've taken with no union. You both ought to be ashamed these people need our support I don't know about a union but our support would go along ways.
I don't work there and never will! I have seen first hand what unions do to small companys, And yes armstrong is A small company. I only thinking of the town. WP needs the jobs. I for one would not be complaining right now about having A job. I bet theres is somebody that would like to go to work at armstrong. Trust me UNIONS are the worst thing in the world right now, We don't need them any more!!
derekp

Ozark, MO

#27 Feb 6, 2013
I don't work at Armstrong though I know first hand they treat employees poorly. The Beckley West Virginia plant is very much like West Plains, it is union and has been a very long time. Beckley makes better wages and benefits and has for years. Armstrong will not move the plant the wood is here and that is what is required to produce the flooring. Of course the company will oppose a union, it will if adopted, force them to pay more. Since Armstrong treats employees poorly they really have little to lose in voting for a union. I for one had rather fight for fair and equal treatment and lose than be treated poorly and know that I had job as long as being kicked around part of the deal.
derekp

Ozark, MO

#28 Feb 6, 2013
old zizzer wrote:
<quoted text>I don't work there and never will! I have seen first hand what unions do to small companys, And yes armstrong is A small company. I only thinking of the town. WP needs the jobs. I for one would not be complaining right now about having A job. I bet theres is somebody that would like to go to work at armstrong. Trust me UNIONS are the worst thing in the world right now, We don't need them any more!!
Armstrong is not a small company it is a world wide company with plants in Europe, Asia, North and South America. Flooring is just a division of the company. Google Armstrong World Wide Industies.
No Union

West Plains, MO

#29 Feb 6, 2013
My spouse works at Armstrong and has for 20+ years. He has never had a pay cut. No the raises haven't been great lately, but in today's economy with only a highschool education, you're lucky to make more than minimum wage. Unions only close factories. All of the Armstrong plants that have closed are Union. Why keep a plant open being forced to pay $5 more an hour to employees? Armstrong will keep non-union plants open longer!! Be thankful Armstrong is still here and don't ruin it by going Union!! Also, why would we want to PAY a Union. You'll end up with even less take home pay!!
KNOWS

Ozark, MO

#30 Feb 6, 2013
No Union wrote:
My spouse works at Armstrong and has for 20+ years. He has never had a pay cut. No the raises haven't been great lately, but in today's economy with only a highschool education, you're lucky to make more than minimum wage. Unions only close factories. All of the Armstrong plants that have closed are Union. Why keep a plant open being forced to pay $5 more an hour to employees? Armstrong will keep non-union plants open longer!! Be thankful Armstrong is still here and don't ruin it by going Union!! Also, why would we want to PAY a Union. You'll end up with even less take home pay!!
The reason all the plants closed are union is because almost all Armstrong plants ARE union. You are simply cheating yourself.
really

Sparta, MO

#31 Feb 6, 2013
Let's get real, I am an Armstrong employee, have been "FOREVER" If I had thought that a union would help us "ALL" I would of contacted a Union Rep years ago; I was a Union Member for eight years in a right to work state, being in Missouri a not a right to work state makes things worse, people who choose not to be a member are forced to become one!Now don't insult me by saying, if I don't like it, change jobs! Have you looked for a job lately? How about house forclosures in your town, do you want to be one of those? Remember Jimmy Hoffia, where is he now? Think before you sign any contract Union or other wise it takes years to undo whats been done!
wp wages suck

Reeds Spring, MO

#32 Feb 7, 2013
not having any union company in this area is the reason most people think 10 dollars an hour is good money . there is no jobs here just sawmills and meth labs. any one ever notice republicans hate spending money on the poor but love blowing money for a new airport
wtf-

Forsyth, MO

#33 Feb 7, 2013
Don't let all these people discourage you. All the unions that you hear about hurting companies are at the companies that pay $25 an hour. It wouldn't break the bank for Armstrong to meet to union demands. People at Baxter in Mountain Home have been talking about it heavily recently and their workers on the floor make $16+
wtf-

Forsyth, MO

#34 Feb 7, 2013
Also its against the law for you to be discriminated against for being a union member, or even talking about a "potential union."
west plains

United States

#35 Feb 7, 2013
I say go union boys they would at least stop the taking from you. I've read all the post I have a close friend that works there I can't remember which idiot posted something about these peoples pay cut that they speak of is just the social security hike but you are an idiot these people aren't stupid I seen my friends check there very aware of that hike but she showed me an actual $1.53 pay cut so stop telling these people oh thats not a pay cut because yes it is along with a social security hike that we all share. I say let them decide what's best for them if other plants are getting represented & took better care of than them well one would think that's what they need cause with no one there getting stole from. You tell them all your horror stories of if they do well what if they don't what's next a $2 cut. You all don't know if a union would help or not but one things for sure if not nothing changes. So they get a democratic vote of yes or no on a union let them decide. You all are terrible. When DRS struck I honked everytime for the picketers I felt for them just as I do these workers so show some support for them not o your gona lose your job follow the corporate way and do nothing mind your employer. I think there employer should appreciate them but evidently they don't. Don't respond to me cause I don't care what negative comments you have to say against me or them standing up for themselves. It just make ya ll look like %ssholes. More power to you employees
west plains

United States

#36 Feb 7, 2013
Oh and whoever spoke of amyx my uncle worked there too that place was going down for many years before it finally hit bottom. That place was no where close to the size of this Armstrong plant. Plus let's no forget there raw material oak trees they don't have the magnitude of them everywhere like we do here. So Armstrong will gripe and threaten but will go no where
du durr

United States

#37 Feb 7, 2013
Unions killed the twinky.
west plains

United States

#38 Feb 7, 2013
Lol. Now that's actually funny. Nice to see someone joking. And not tryn to scare these people
west plains

United States

#40 Feb 7, 2013
O and commenter really you don't contact the union because Armstrong will fire you on the spot. They'll find a reason to take any revolt against them out. It's like the govt if it doesn't benefit them there not for it. A union scares your company to death I'm sure cause they can't just fire you on the spot and check your laws call a lawyer any nonunion company in the state of Missouri can fire you at will with no reason. Don't take my word call a lawyer. I'd be scared to if I owned a business and my people was wanting to go union cause I no longer can do as I wish. So wake up and quit believing your company they didn't get those positions above you for being honest.
hmmm

Mount Vernon, MO

#41 Feb 7, 2013
You do have good points west plains so many people are misinformed including me when I previously posted after running into a couple of Armstrong employees I have to say I agree with them going union also now.
wtf-

Forsyth, MO

#42 Feb 7, 2013
west plains wrote:
O and commenter really you don't contact the union because Armstrong will fire you on the spot. They'll find a reason to take any revolt against them out. It's like the govt if it doesn't benefit them there not for it. A union scares your company to death I'm sure cause they can't just fire you on the spot and check your laws call a lawyer any nonunion company in the state of Missouri can fire you at will with no reason. Don't take my word call a lawyer. I'd be scared to if I owned a business and my people was wanting to go union cause I no longer can do as I wish. So wake up and quit believing your company they didn't get those positions above you for being honest.
Its against the law to discriminate in those circumstances. Missouri is an "employment at will" state, but it is still against the law to fire them in this circumstance. Go ahead and call a lawyer, but make sure it's a decent one. The only lawyer I know that could handle something like this in the area is a judge now. A lot of lawyers would handle it for free for the publicity. I also keep hearing the phrase "right to work state" this only means that a state can't require you to join a union. Which Missouri is not a right to work state anyway. Don't listen to these idiots do your own individual research. If you got fired for wanting to start a union that would be the best case scenario for a worker due to lawsuits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
laura ingraham 28 min Amendment For Elf 8
It's Coming 3 hr Cacoons of st louis 5
Huge Waste of Your $$$$$. 6 hr Libers 4
Name That Fruit !!! 7 hr Look at her yuge ... 19
What's up with the men around here (Apr '17) 9 hr For sure 134
I will take one for President Trump 11 hr Smellyanne Conway 76
Patriotism (Mar '09) 11 hr Smellyanne Conway 167

West Plains Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Plains Mortgages