Attn. Armstrong Wood Products Plant E...

Attn. Armstrong Wood Products Plant Employees

Posted in the West Plains Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
anonymous

Garnett, KS

#1 Feb 4, 2013
What are your thoughts of the plant going union like your sister plant in West Virginia due to all the unfairness with wages, bonuses, and health care premiums lately? A Union is ready to defend you do you employees want help?
Anon

Ozark, MO

#2 Feb 4, 2013
Unions are the downfall of america. Just say no.
anonymous

Garnett, KS

#3 Feb 4, 2013
Evidently your not an employee at this plant. These employees have had wage cuts amongst many other things while there union sister plant prospers they are not. I've had many employees communicate with me on these matters. I would just like to hear from more. Employees only please Thankyou
Anon

Ozark, MO

#4 Feb 4, 2013
Sorry that isn't going to happen. You put it on topix. Unions are only out for themselves. Just say no
anonymous

United States

#5 Feb 4, 2013
Well I respect your opinion anon Thankyou for your input
robbie

United States

#6 Feb 4, 2013
I say Union all the way guys if they didn't help the workers and help keep down corporate dictatorship then why doesn't management welcome them in. It's because management is scared they'll have to be fair, do your history folks. Good luck
sherry 381

United States

#7 Feb 4, 2013
I agree with Robbie obviously if the company was treating these people right they wouldn't be talking to a union in the first place. So I'd say its this company that's out for itself not the union. Corporate and management greed and they ll lie to make you believe your better off but God sees all so every manager will answer for his lies and greed someday. I ve been part of a union for 23 years they keep it a level playing field. Wish you all the best
watcher

Marshfield, MO

#8 Feb 5, 2013
I have three close relatives working there. They know if the plant unionizes their days with a good job will be numbered. Not gonna happen here.
jack99

United States

#9 Feb 5, 2013
I work 3rd there I hardly think we consider it a good job anymore after all they've done and taken away. It's turned into a corrupt world in that place. Id say I would vote yes but I'm ultimately looking for a new job we ll be the lowest paid plant workers n town soon.
hmmm

Branson, MO

#10 Feb 5, 2013
Does anyone remember the Amyx factories we had for decades? They were union workers. They still made crap wages, would have to go on strike to get a paltry raise (no money coming in while on strike), then the company just closes up and moves abroad once they became sick of the union. At one time unions were great but with the ease of moving manufacturing jobs overseas unions mean nothing any longer.
anonymous

United States

#11 Feb 5, 2013
61% of Armstrong world industries are union employees. West Plains sister plant who are union start out around $13 an hour with annual cost of living raises, family health insurance is $155 a month paying %80 with no copay. Nonunion west plains employees start out at $11 with no cost of living raise, I'm told for the last 7 years there has been no raise, with family health insurance exceeding $350 a month. Then I've seen on several Armstrong employees check stubs a pay cut of anywhere from a $1.50 an hour to a $1.72 an hour starting January 1st. So to the above comment yes there are unions that don't fight for you but this is unacceptable they tell these employees there better off without a union but I just exposed the facts in writting of the difference in the two plants. Is everyone saying that West Virginia workers are worth more than west plains so west plains should lay down and just take it. I think not. The west plains plant is a flagship for Armstrong they will not shut it down if they go union there are to many hard workers that produce the best quality product at a cheaper price at the safest rate in the company but yes the company will threaten this to scare them cause they want that saved money in there yearly bonuses. It's up to you west plains listen to the scare tactics and horror stories from others or stand up and demand fairness. there's a bully on your playground west plains will you stand up to him or take the beating. Thankyou for all comments
Anon

Ozark, MO

#12 Feb 5, 2013
How much a month will union dues be?
anonymous

Garnett, KS

#13 Feb 5, 2013
Union dues will be $31 a month but with them taking an average of a $1.50 an hour from them they took $240 a month. We will get that back if they decide to fight I don't represent a weak union I am the teamsters the same as there sister plant and you do get paid to strike. I'm sure the company is watching and they love all the antiunion comments cause that just gets them comfortable and they know they can keep on taking as long as the workers don't have an ally but we are here and ready to defend them to get back what they have sweat and suffered for. Were not like your no name union we deliver results we are for the worker.
Old Timer

Sparta, MO

#14 Feb 5, 2013
Remember A place in West Plains called consumers? Getting A union for them resulted in them ALL being out of A job! Unions are fine in A right to work state, which missouri is not. DON'T GO UNION ! All those armstrong plants that they have shut down are still owned by them, They will shut this one down and reopen those!!!!!
anonymous

Garnett, KS

#15 Feb 5, 2013
Armstrong employees I'm gona sign off on this note I've done my homework old timer your mis informed they are no longer owned by Armstrong Nashville was the oldest plant the cost to reinstate it was too much plus safety was low so it was closed. Please do your research your opinion hurts the bargaining power of these employees. All other Armstrong sold properties are no longer Armstrong.
Safety played a key along with capital not union or nonunion. I'm going to sign off on this note. Previous posters are probably managers of your company they will go to any extent to scare you from a yes vote because that takes power from them because they can't just drop your wages with a union because there's a contract with one. If the company was not scared of managers and executives having to practice equal rights they wouldn't post against it. In the weeks to come your gona have company meetings to scare you from a union but remember they didn't care about you before and they don't care now otherwise they wouldn't have cut your pay. But there gona act like they care now but use scare tactics that they were trained for. That's a requirement in a plant managers job. It's called defuse the union. I wish more people in your area were in support of you but do know we are we see your mistreatment. Recognise your managers and the ones that don't care of what your going through with there comments. Best of luck
hmmm

Branson, MO

#16 Feb 5, 2013
anonymous wrote:
Armstrong employees I'm gona sign off on this note I've done my homework old timer your mis informed they are no longer owned by Armstrong Nashville was the oldest plant the cost to reinstate it was too much plus safety was low so it was closed. Please do your research your opinion hurts the bargaining power of these employees. All other Armstrong sold properties are no longer Armstrong.
Safety played a key along with capital not union or nonunion. I'm going to sign off on this note. Previous posters are probably managers of your company they will go to any extent to scare you from a yes vote because that takes power from them because they can't just drop your wages with a union because there's a contract with one. If the company was not scared of managers and executives having to practice equal rights they wouldn't post against it. In the weeks to come your gona have company meetings to scare you from a union but remember they didn't care about you before and they don't care now otherwise they wouldn't have cut your pay. But there gona act like they care now but use scare tactics that they were trained for. That's a requirement in a plant managers job. It's called defuse the union. I wish more people in your area were in support of you but do know we are we see your mistreatment. Recognise your managers and the ones that don't care of what your going through with there comments. Best of luck
I'm not in anyway affiliated with that company. I don't even know anyone that has ever worked there. I just know what has happened in this area before due to unions... everyone ends up out of a job. As a previous poster pointed out this is NOT a right to work state. In fact Missouri's labor laws benefit the employer more than any state I have ever worked in.(BTW, I'm in business mgmt and have worked human resources etc) Do you know why so many people are still sitting on unemployment in other states? Because they get paid up to 80% of their previous wages with NO CAP on weekly benefits. The state of MO pays up to the same amount but caps it off at about what someone working 40 hrs a week making minimum would gross in a week. You are forced to find any job you can if you want to have a roof over your head and food on the table while those in other states have the luxury of turning down jobs because it doesn't pay what is acceptable to them.

And the extra money coming out of paychecks beginning January 1st is due to the social security rates going back up. It is happening to EVERYONE that earns an income.
Old Timer

Sparta, MO

#17 Feb 5, 2013
anonymous wrote:
This plant won't last 2 years if it goe's union... Look around busniess are hurting! The last thing they need is some union boss telling them how to run A busniess! I don't work there and never have, But my experince with unions is. They cost the worker and the worker gets screwed! My 2 cents.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#18 Feb 5, 2013
Unions are no good out for themselves not for the common worker ;(
jack99

Des Moines, IA

#19 Feb 5, 2013
Oldtimer you sound like a plant manager in disguise. So do you hmmm. Otherwise why would you talk against these employees even if just the talk of it scares there employer to give back what they've taken with no union. You both ought to be ashamed these people need our support I don't know about a union but our support would go along ways.
tank

Des Moines, IA

#20 Feb 5, 2013
Thankyou jack I thought the same thing to awkward why would they care or betray us if they weren't

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Happy Thanksgiving 1 hr Dincas 81
OHHHHH NO part 2 1 hr YoureAHypocrite 1
Howell County DA AND JUDGE 1 hr gotv 2
Another Statue Removal 2 hr Ms Holloway 1
BeautifulAquarium 3 hr Ramsey Bolton 1
Happening today 3 hr Ramsey Bolton 1
Baffled 3 hr Ramsey Bolton 1

West Plains Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance