Family Cinema Prices Going UP UP UP

Family Cinema Prices Going UP UP UP

Posted in the West Plains Forum

Bill Henderson

Quinlan, TX

#1 Apr 29, 2013
Does everyone know that Family Cinema is going digital with their movies. The days of $4.00 movies are coming to a close. Hey Family Cinema owners...thanks for the memories , you did a great job entertaining this old po' boy & his family for 3 years. I truly wish you the best...but I just cant afford you or Glass Sword anymore. Hope things work out business wise for you.
home school

Austin, TX

#2 Apr 29, 2013
these new movies are trash anyway.

yes trash.
JustWondering

West Plains, MO

#3 Apr 30, 2013
So how much is it now
Bill Henderson

Quinlan, TX

#5 Apr 30, 2013
JustWondering wrote:
So how much is it now
Going up to 8.00 when they go digital. Going to try to compete with Glass Sword with only 2 theaters.
unbelievable

United States

#6 Apr 30, 2013
That's a real shame! They're lower prices is what brought them their business. No family around here can afford to go to the movies very often,and family cinema was reasonably priced, and where we always WENT. We will just wait till the movie comes to RedBox. That is rediculous
wow

Branson, MO

#7 May 1, 2013
When we go to the movies we mostly go to family cinema because of price and usually there was not a lot of people there, may of just been the times we went who knows usually glass sword is packed so if they raise their prices they may not have anyone come hate that for them because i really like family cinema their seats are a lot more comfortable!! If they do raise their price they do need to fix the broken seats!
my guess

Branson, MO

#8 May 1, 2013
It would be my guess that they have to raise their prices to stay open, just as they added the rock wall to generate revenue. The movie production companies have been charging more & more for their movies. Plus, Family Cinema is already at a huge disadvantage by not showing R rated movies. Most new movies have the higher rating so that reduces the number of movies they are able to offer. I personally believe there will come a time that they will either have to offer the same movies as Glass Sword or close their business... based on previous posts it seems they are going to lose a lot of their loyal customer base with the price increase.
Fat Freddy Mercury

Ozark, MO

#9 May 1, 2013
I never go to movie theaters anymore. The seats aren't wide enough for me and I always sit on somebody's previously chewed gum. They also told me that I can't bring in my own 6 pack of Pepsi and my 13 gallon trash bag full of delicious homemade popcorn. Damn Nazis!
sooo

Ozark, MO

#10 May 25, 2013
Bill Henderson wrote:
<quoted text>
Going up to 8.00 when they go digital. Going to try to compete with Glass Sword with only 2 theaters.
So what is wrong with some competition. this town is sooo small minded.
Agreed

Sparta, MO

#11 May 25, 2013
Money is hard to come by, no doubt. But, people in this town gripe & complain any time any business person raises prices. It has to happen in order to survive. Restaurants pay more for groceries just like groceries increase at the grocery store. So the owners are trying to compete, I think it's a great thing. They are just trying to make a living like everyone else. Automatically people assume that since you own a business that you're rolling in the money. Most of the time, it's the farthest thing from the truth!
true

United States

#12 May 25, 2013
Agreed wrote:
Money is hard to come by, no doubt. But, people in this town gripe & complain any time any business person raises prices. It has to happen in order to survive. Restaurants pay more for groceries just like groceries increase at the grocery store. So the owners are trying to compete, I think it's a great thing. They are just trying to make a living like everyone else. Automatically people assume that since you own a business that you're rolling in the money. Most of the time, it's the farthest thing from the truth!
this is so true we are going to the family cinema tomorrow and show them some support
travelin man

Carrington, ND

#13 May 26, 2013
I'd rather go to family cinema. There seats are amazing
helloooo

United States

#14 May 26, 2013
They went all digital. So they can play new movies too. That's why the prices went up.
ripoff

West Plains, MO

#15 May 28, 2013
Never minded putting up with the broken seats and stuff at $4.00 but will not deal with it at $8.00.
Just a thought

Sparta, MO

#16 May 28, 2013
Maybe they will use the extra money to do repairs that are needed. As a business owner myself I know that it's hard to do everything that needs done.
Glass Sword Employee

Maryville, MO

#17 Jun 4, 2013
They actually are showing R rated movies now. That was an announcement made right before they went digital. The reason prices have to go up is because the digital projectors and 3D compatible screens cost hundreds of thousands of dollars all together. And the reason they did this is because starting this year, the movie industry will slowly phase out film. By 2015, everything will be digital. It puts movie theater owners in a pickle. They can either A] Go digital, or B] Stay reel and play old movies. They still have old movie reels on file, and you don't have to pay the movie companies much for them. I believe that the Family Cinema would have been better off going that route. And i am not saying this because i am afraid of competition. The cheap movies is what they had going for them obviously. And I, even as an employee of the Glass Sword, would go to the Family Cinema for older movies (Such as older Disney films like The Lion King, or Toy Story.) I truly do hope the best for the Family Cinema, but I do have to look at the fact that the equipment cost to payoff ratio is terrible for them.
harry

United States

#18 Jun 4, 2013
Glass Sword Employee wrote:
They actually are showing R rated movies now. That was an announcement made right before they went digital. The reason prices have to go up is because the digital projectors and 3D compatible screens cost hundreds of thousands of dollars all together. And the reason they did this is because starting this year, the movie industry will slowly phase out film. By 2015, everything will be digital. It puts movie theater owners in a pickle. They can either A] Go digital, or B] Stay reel and play old movies. They still have old movie reels on file, and you don't have to pay the movie companies much for them. I believe that the Family Cinema would have been better off going that route. And i am not saying this because i am afraid of competition. The cheap movies is what they had going for them obviously. And I, even as an employee of the Glass Sword, would go to the Family Cinema for older movies (Such as older Disney films like The Lion King, or Toy Story.) I truly do hope the best for the Family Cinema, but I do have to look at the fact that the equipment cost to payoff ratio is terrible for them.
at least at the family cinema they dont run the vacuum outside the door while your trying to watch a movie
Glass Sword Employee

Maryville, MO

#19 Jun 4, 2013
harry wrote:
<quoted text> at least at the family cinema they dont run the vacuum outside the door while your trying to watch a movie
Once again, i'm not saying anything bad towards the Family Cinema. I am also not saying that the Glass Sword is necessarily better either. But the fact is that the Glass Sword does have 4 more cinema's and a larger customer base. And that isn't an opinion, just go to both places on a Friday night. And yes, i do agree that the vacuum timing sucks (no pun intended).
kate

Sparta, MO

#20 Jun 4, 2013
Glass Sword Employee wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, i'm not saying anything bad towards the Family Cinema. I am also not saying that the Glass Sword is necessarily better either. But the fact is that the Glass Sword does have 4 more cinema's and a larger customer base. And that isn't an opinion, just go to both places on a Friday night. And yes, i do agree that the vacuum timing sucks (no pun intended).
We go to the family cinema because we like the seats better and also thee last time we were there they were vacuuming during our movie Why do they do that???
The Last Hurrah

Sparta, MO

#21 Jun 27, 2013
Everybody has to have a special "niche" in business to succeed... or else you're just playing a losing game of "catch up" with someone else who is already established and doing the job better than you'll ever be able to. So, as far as the $8-10 movie crowd, there is already brand-new cinema at Mountain View (Timber Creek) and a well-maintained older cinema at West Plains (Glass Sword)... The ONLY EDGE that shabby, little Family Cinema had was its ability to "undersell" the other guys with it's cheap,$4 movies. But now, for what ever reason, Family Cinema has moved out of its niche... and given up its "edge." They are left with a shabby rundown little theater, housing only two cinemas... and trying to compete with the "other guys" who offer the same service with much nicer facilities.
Nope, for my money... I'll either be going to Glass Sword or Timber Creek.
Family Cinema is now DOA! Hey, it's been fun... but the music just stopped and the dance is officially over!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 2 hr NOT MY PRESIDENT 108,389
Destany Boss 2 hr PseudoHappiness 1
Jcpenny 7 hr j cash 6
Trump protests 8 hr Jacs 19
Biblical law on adultery...... 8 hr Jacs 31
where to find inexpensive fencing? (Mar '09) 9 hr Irishties 17
South Hill Street, people taken out of house an... 13 hr Traitor Is Finall... 4

West Plains Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Plains Mortgages