First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Charlie Chaplin

Reeds Spring, MO

#1 Sep 25, 2013
Why don't local people support local businesses? I just moved here for a job and I am shocked to see that West Plains people don't support local business.
well

United States

#2 Sep 25, 2013
Charlie Chaplin wrote:
Why don't local people support local businesses? I just moved here for a job and I am shocked to see that West Plains people don't support local business.
when you can get treated better and get a better deal u go out of town I refuse to shop where they have the cid tax.
Dick Weed

Sparta, MO

#3 Sep 25, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>when you can get treated better and get a better deal u go out of town I refuse to shop where they have the cid tax.
So you don't mind paying .37 cents a gallon fuel tax to go to Springfield and pay their sales tax anyway. When you support local business, you're money stays around in the local economy for a while. Your sales tax you pay helps to fix that pothole in front of your house. I'm not talking about the cid tax. I'm talking about sale tax in general. C'mon support your local businesses, your kids or niece of nefew or grandkid may be looking for a job someday. If local businesses can grow, our local economy will grow and eveyone will benefit.
yeah

United States

#4 Sep 25, 2013
Y guys have good points. But why shouldn't shop away from here? West plains is ruled buy old money and stupidity in the city. The same people who does want wp to grow. But jacks off a community college. That even the graduates cant even a job here outside teaching and nursing. If the city would step up and hurt some feelings and cut the appron string to college. Make life in wp better for everyone and just a few
grave digger

Fordland, MO

#5 Sep 25, 2013
well lets see,,,it all starts with the lease or rent on a building,,,and this reflects the product prices,,,and when you ask any or most buisness why their prices are so much higher they all sound like lefty democrats and have the same answer,,,its because it cost more to ship the product to west plains,,,it doesnt cost anymore except for the extra miles,,,all trucking companies charge a set price per mile for everyone,,,then we come back to the rent or lease prices on the buildings,,,this is all controlled by the inflated property prices round here,,,so the buisness has to make money to cover the over inflated rent,,,and when you have low wage jobs,,,most round here cant afford them prices and shop elsewhere out of spite or online,,,then we have the added bullshit cid taxes,,,and this is where the spite part comes into play,,,the grave digger shops in town cuz the grave digger likes alot of the buisnesses but wont shop at the walmart area cuz of the cid tax,,,cuz really havnt seen any improvements from the cid tax in the past few yrs them property owners have been racking in,,,but have seen the city doing side walk street improvements in front of walmart,,,which by the way looks good,,,west plains needs better paying jobs and more options all the way around,,,it cant stay a small town forever,,,cuz if the next generations keep leaving west plains to find good paying jobs,,,west plains will be over run by the illegal mexicans within a decade,,,and this is happining all around america to a whole lot of small towns,,,then we have the fact west plains is the hub of a few counties for its welfare office,,juvie and adult probation office,,,and this pays to keep this area and town to be a welfare sponge,,,cuz where do all these collage educations from this collage go?,,,to another city,,,cuz aint no jobs round here worth staying for,,,
viewpoint

Ozark, MO

#6 Sep 25, 2013
To me, it seems like a lot of the locally owned businesses have RUDE staff or owners. Or they are overpriced (c&k) and have crappy return policies.
Charlie Chaplin

West Plains, MO

#7 Sep 25, 2013
viewpoint wrote:
To me, it seems like a lot of the locally owned businesses have RUDE staff or owners. Or they are overpriced (c&k) and have crappy return policies.
You don't run into rude people at Wal-Mart or McDonald's? Those are 2 places I refuse to spend my local money because of the employees.
viewpoint

Ozark, MO

#8 Sep 25, 2013
Sure I do, but in those instances I go to their manager. For example, there used to be a really ride guy at walgreens. But if the business owner is the one being rude, who do I complain to?
Dick Weed

Sparta, MO

#9 Sep 25, 2013
viewpoint wrote:
To me, it seems like a lot of the locally owned businesses have RUDE staff or owners. Or they are overpriced (c&k) and have crappy return policies.
Have you ever had any good shopping experiences in West Plains?
grave digger

Fordland, MO

#10 Sep 25, 2013
the grave digger never ran into a rude person at any buisness in west plains,,,in over 20yrs,,,but have run into many a-holes and some who are just plain stupid,,,but never rude,,,and found that their are 2 reasons for this in the grave diggers study called,,,the grave digger study on employees of west plains buisnesses,,,#1,,,plain stupid,,,cuz their young and either are scared of the boss or really dont know how to answer your questions,,,nothing wrong with being young and stupid cuz we all were once,,,and this is how you learn life lessons,,,#2,,,a-holes,,,now this gets tricky to determine,,,it could be the poor guys wife bitches and complains to much,,,it could be the ladies husband is a prick,,,it could be the employee hates his/her job,,,it could be all kinds of daily mood swings,,,but for most a-holes round here is from being raised local with the gossip and hate thats inbedded into their genes and when they dont like you or your family name or your cousins aunts uncles nephews neices grandparents the church you go to,,,they will do the natural thing and be an a-hole to you,,,now this doesnt mean they are really mean in heart,,,but kinda like a wild animal poops anywhere it feels like it,,,its in their nature,,,ha haa haaa,,,ps,,,got to say when in walmart and ask for help always get good help,,,thats if you can find a employee,,,sometimes this takes 10 minutes or so,,,but good help always,,,except for the dumb secret undercover store cops who sneak around acting like they are shopping but are spotted by the grave digger everytime,,,and this is an insult to be followed like a comon crook,,,thats why the grave digger will lead these morons to every department in walmart,,,twice,,,ha haa haaa,,,then walk out the door laughing,,,then unload the paid for take in the trunk,,,wait 15 minutes and go into walmart again,,,then walk up to one of them and ask them a question like,,,how much does a store cop make?,,,ha haa haaa,,,then watch them stutter with the answer,,,i dont work for walmart and scury off into the distance,,,ha haa haaa,,,
Cool Dude

Spokane, MO

#11 Sep 25, 2013
I do all of my business in Toadsuck, Arkansas. Toadsuck has the best quality merchandise for the price, not to mention the hottest employees. Shop in Toadsuck, Arkansas and SAVE BIG!
viewpoint

Kansas City, KS

#13 Sep 25, 2013
Sure. Plenty.
viewpoint

Kansas City, KS

#14 Sep 25, 2013
Dick Weed wrote:
<quoted text>Have you ever had any good shopping experiences in West Plains?
Have you?
Dick Weed

Sparta, MO

#16 Sep 25, 2013
viewpoint wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you?
I have not been disapointed yet. I'm really not the type of person that goes out shopping just to shop. I go when I need something and I get it. I always try to go to the small businesses because I find that I get better personal service and sometimes advice also. That comes in handy especially if I'm doing a project and have some questions about some details. I have also found that the products are of better quality than going to the big box store. Sometimes I pay more for something but to me it's all worth it to help keep that business going. I don't want to have to drive to Springfield or rely on cheap junk when I need something. I would like to see this town thrive. By the way, I have also found that I can get things cheaper here in West Plains a lot of the time.
blah blah

Chicago, IL

#17 Sep 25, 2013
I buy what I need to buy at the lowest possible cost. If I can buy something at a locally owned store for the same as Walmart, I will buy it locally. If I can order it I can have it shipped for half the price of Walmart base price, and NO sales tax Who in their right mind is going to spend $75 more for an item at Walmart so the taxes stay in the city. I would rather give money to the Blue Jean charity that give monety to the smiths or hoovers
agree

Ozark, MO

#18 Sep 25, 2013
Dick Weed wrote:
<quoted text>So you don't mind paying .37 cents a gallon fuel tax to go to Springfield and pay their sales tax anyway. When you support local business, you're money stays around in the local economy for a while. Your sales tax you pay helps to fix that pothole in front of your house. I'm not talking about the cid tax. I'm talking about sale tax in general. C'mon support your local businesses, your kids or niece of nefew or grandkid may be looking for a job someday. If local businesses can grow, our local economy will grow and eveyone will benefit.
I couldn't agree more but you will never get anyone on this site to come to this realization. People have tried and just given up. The same people who complain the loudest about the town not growing are also the ones complaining the loudest about CID taxes and the inconvenience of some road work. You can't expect growth without higher taxes and the ever popular CID tax, they simply go hand in hand... and not just in WP. Every single new development has come with a different CID tax. While most everyone complains about Wal-Mart they don't complain about Colton's, Walgreens, or Ace Hardware that are in even higher tax zones. Nor do they complain that the tax in Mountain Home, Springfield, and Branson averages 8.5%... that's higher than any CID tax we have here.
Charlie Chaplin

Reeds Spring, MO

#19 Sep 25, 2013
viewpoint wrote:
Sure I do, but in those instances I go to their manager. For example, there used to be a really ride guy at walgreens. But if the business owner is the one being rude, who do I complain to?
I worked for Wal-Mart for over 25+ years in management. I will tell you that when a customer complained about an associate it was customary to let the customer know that "we will take of it". Rarely was anything ever done to discipline any of the associates. If I go to a local owned business & the owner is rude, I don't go back. Simple as that.
Sorry

Cameron, MO

#20 Sep 25, 2013
I am a business owner, and I was rude to a customer because that customer cussed at me, and blamed me for something I did not do, and had no control over.

The customer would not listen to anything I had to say. So I told him to leave. Repeatedly.

I guess as a business owner, I am called rude when I don't bend over spread my cheeks anytime someone whimpers.
viewpoint

Reeds Spring, MO

#21 Sep 25, 2013
Charlie Chaplin wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked for Wal-Mart for over 25+ years in management. I will tell you that when a customer complained about an associate it was customary to let the customer know that "we will take of it". Rarely was anything ever done to discipline any of the associates. If I go to a local owned business & the owner is rude, I don't go back. Simple as that.


I wasn't referring to wal mart. Never really had a problem there.
grave digger

Fordland, MO

#23 Sep 25, 2013
agree wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't agree more but you will never get anyone on this site to come to this realization. People have tried and just given up. The same people who complain the loudest about the town not growing are also the ones complaining the loudest about CID taxes and the inconvenience of some road work. You can't expect growth without higher taxes and the ever popular CID tax, they simply go hand in hand... and not just in WP. Every single new development has come with a different CID tax. While most everyone complains about Wal-Mart they don't complain about Colton's, Walgreens, or Ace Hardware that are in even higher tax zones. Nor do they complain that the tax in Mountain Home, Springfield, and Branson averages 8.5%... that's higher than any CID tax we have here.
if west plains wants growth,,,then grow,,,what happened to lowes coming in?,,,what happened to the rubber seal factory that tried to come in?,,,you cant add cid tax after cid tax and expect the town to grow if you dont add the jobs,,,decent paying jobs first,,,and all them other towns you mentioned all have better paying jobs and more options cuz they didnt let a hand full of peole land lock the town,,,branson did for yrs to a dude named redford and his goons,,,and when that ahole moved on,,,so did branson,,,its called land locked or pay and do what we say until we decide not to,,,ha haa haaa

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Trump Train will stay on the track to MAGA 1 hr RNC Rightwing NUT... 233
Toenail Fungus Has Destroyed My Life! (Jan '16) 1 hr RNC Rightwing NUT... 12
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 1 hr RNC Rightwing NUT... 110,130
Steve Bannon May Be Leaving... 1 hr RNC Rightwing NUT... 6
Topix without negativity (Jul '16) 7 hr Mr Clean 4
Free (Nov '16) 8 hr tiny tim 24
Trump / Pence yard signs for Halloween perverts (Oct '16) 12 hr Drug hater 21

West Plains Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Plains Mortgages