what if your kid moves out and doesnt...

what if your kid moves out and doesnt go to school?

Posted in the West Plains Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mom

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Mar 19, 2012
Parent I need help we have to change the laws!!!! At 17 your kid can move out and thers nothing you can do about it. AND if they dont go to school you cant do anything about that either. you can only watch as they ruin their life. call you stat rep. e-mail your state rep. do all you can do!!!! please help!
Rebel Without A Cause

Ozark, MO

#2 Mar 19, 2012
No need for that. We are mature for our age. We know what we are doing. Stop trying to control us.
sad

Reeds Spring, MO

#3 Mar 19, 2012
Mom hang in there . I was the idiot 16 year old that moved out of my parents house because I thought I knew all and now that I am older and mush wiser I have millions of regrets . Most kids at 14 and on think they know it all and all them children that grow up will all have my kind of story to tell . I for sure believe there should be a better law to spare our kids from the lions in the world that are so ready to eat your kids up and spit them out . Give it some time Mom and make sure your there for your child no matter what they will have a story soon to tell you and I hope they ask forgiveness and you will have the right to hug your child and say hun , I told you so and that you love them with all your heart . All you can do for now is pray , pray and more pray that your child won't get hurt to bad and pray they learn a lesson very soon .
So Sorry To Hear

Ava, MO

#4 Mar 19, 2012
Mine dropped out of school and moved out at 17. The law told me there was nothing i could do but yet i was still responsible for him till 18!!!!!!!!!! This was many many years ago,i feel for you.Hope and pray during that year they dont do any thing that will finacially ruin you because you are responsible for them till 18!!
So Sorry To Hear

Ava, MO

#5 Mar 19, 2012
One more thing to ponder. If your child was on your vehicle insurance they told me i could not drop him from my insurance without his written approval!! Even tho i didn't know where he ran off to.Contact your specific vehicle insurance for details.Remember your butts on the line till there 18 for medical bills vandelism ect. ect.Very sad.
Mike

United States

#6 Mar 19, 2012
If you can get the court to declare them as emancipated then you are no longer held responsible. Did that with our 17 year old daughter 5 years ago. Thankfully she finished and graduated school.
Sad Mom

Ozark, MO

#7 Mar 19, 2012
My child keeps telling me she too will move out at 17. It breaks my heart. I don't think teens even know how good they have it at home. Know one ever loves them "teen" like a momma does. I'm not sure why kids are in such a hurry to grow-up. I also don't understand why teen girls are so cruel to eachother. Why are they so evil and ready to hurt one another? Sad they miss out on what being a true friend is. I'm praying for our youth,they really seem lost.
cakelady

United States

#8 Mar 19, 2012
mom wrote:
Parent I need help we have to change the laws!!!! At 17 your kid can move out and thers nothing you can do about it. AND if they dont go to school you cant do anything about that either. you can only watch as they ruin their life. call you stat rep. e-mail your state rep. do all you can do!!!! please help!
I think I know who this is. Is he still living with his girlfriend and her mother? The girlfriend isn't going to school either. It is very sad and we truly feel your pain. Our daughter is totally ruining her life. So sorry she has been such a bad influence on your son but it all stems from her mother. What kind of mother let's her 15 year old daughter move in with her boyfriend's family? That should have been a clue.
some friendly advice

Arkadelphia, AR

#9 Mar 19, 2012
So Sorry To Hear wrote:
One more thing to ponder. If your child was on your vehicle insurance they told me i could not drop him from my insurance without his written approval!! Even tho i didn't know where he ran off to.Contact your specific vehicle insurance for details.Remember your butts on the line till there 18 for medical bills vandelism ect. ect.Very sad.
Can't you just cancel the policy And change companies. There is no way you have to keep him on your policy if he doesn't live there. Call them back and remove his from your policy. It is your policy, not his. My daughter moved out and I removed her from the policy. They just want to keep him on the policy because it's twice as much. DOn't let them get away with it. Start a new policy somewhere else with you as driver, don't even bring him up. He doesn't need to be on a policy if he isn't driving your car or living in your house. My daughter moved out and I didn't give her any financial support. She realized it is imposssible with all the bills and work. She had 2 roommates, too. She moved back home in a couple months. I agree you should still talk to him and love him. And don't hound him about moving out. It will push him further away. Let him see how hard life is. If he isn't getting help from someone else, he'll be back and even say your right, in his own words. I hope I don't sound to forceful, but this is what worked for me. Goodluck and just pray for him.
hmmm

United States

#10 Mar 20, 2012
He is not considered a runaway? I did not know a 17 year old could just leave home without permission. There should be laws against that.
Miss Dragon

Sparta, MO

#11 Mar 20, 2012
Amazing how us parents have no rights to raise our children anymore, but they have rights to "run" us parents over?? They will learn the hard way just how life really is, and then come running back.
lifes about lessons

Ozark, MO

#12 Mar 20, 2012
the government is in control of our kids of course. The reason there are so many prisons and jails plus there all full is because they want our kids . When this son who left tries to come back after he has knocked a few youngens up I hope mom does not rush to his aid . It seems here in the plains the only fun the kids are having anymore is getting knocked up or getting someone pregnant .
seeya

Cross Timbers, MO

#13 Mar 20, 2012
dont let the door hit you where the dog should have bit you/go into the real world then, if your in such A HURRY TO GROW UP.(40YEAR OLD FATHER OF FOUR)
LowRent

Canada

#14 Mar 20, 2012
Hell, you should give your kid a reward for having that much gumption and independence. Why be so negative about it all? Wish them luck and let them know you love them.
mom

Columbia, MO

#15 Mar 20, 2012
cakelady wrote:
<quoted text>I think I know who this is. Is he still living with his girlfriend and her mother? The girlfriend isn't going to school either. It is very sad and we truly feel your pain. Our daughter is totally ruining her life. So sorry she has been such a bad influence on your son but it all stems from her mother. What kind of mother let's her 15 year old daughter move in with her boyfriend's family? That should have been a clue.
It breaks my heart he quit football quit his job and bearly goes to school. I love him very much but seems like every time I try to tell him how bad he is messing up it goes in one ear and out the other! I pray I cry I pray some more and then I cry some more. I just hope he graduates! It would kill me if he didnt.
cakelady

United States

#16 Mar 21, 2012
mom wrote:
<quoted text>It breaks my heart he quit football quit his job and bearly goes to school. I love him very much but seems like every time I try to tell him how bad he is messing up it goes in one ear and out the other! I pray I cry I pray some more and then I cry some more. I just hope he graduates! It would kill me if he didnt.
We know exactly how bad you feel. We had hoped that, as bad as it sounds, having her involved with juvie would help, but we don't even have that card to hold onto anymore. She failed her freshman year, now her sophmore year. She has a very limited future ahead. We were ready to do whatever to send her to whatever college. But when there is no discipline and the mother doesn't give a s***t as long as it gets her more assisstance and it doesn't interfere with her habit----now she can even draw off of your kid! My husband and I have cried rivers. Right now they are thinking from between their legs and they have an adult telling them it is their choice. FB me.
Harbinger_of_Reg ret

West Plains, MO

#17 Mar 21, 2012
Well make mistakes, but sometimes you just have to let them grow up on their own. It's a pity but sometimes you have to kick them out of the nest, and other they just do it themselves. He will find out that it isn't easy being an adult. But the most you can do is try to help. Try to call him or even FB him. But if all you can do is sit there and watch, then let him learn. It time "mom" in time he will learn.
blah

Dexter, MO

#18 Mar 21, 2012
mom wrote:
<quoted text>It breaks my heart he quit football quit his job and bearly goes to school. I love him very much but seems like every time I try to tell him how bad he is messing up it goes in one ear and out the other! I pray I cry I pray some more and then I cry some more. I just hope he graduates! It would kill me if he didnt.
Well, when all parents do is harp on their kids for how the kid is going down the wrong path, of course the kid will want to get out and away from that negativity. You care about your kids and you want them to do good, but you can't go about it by making them feel worse about their life. You've got to love them no matter what and let them know that they're good and they're loved regardless.
wtf

Ava, MO

#19 Mar 21, 2012
a bunch of loser parents that couldn't raise their children correctly. Congrats!
hey

United States

#20 Mar 21, 2012
When my son left home it was difficult to get him off my car insurance. They told me they have a family policy statue which states the children stay on there until they are 22. I had to threaten to switch companies after being an 8 year customer. Eventually they let me, but only after sending them a notarized statement saying he did not live with me. I'm sure every company has different policies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So did Brent really do? 2 hr SHAMROCK1488X 2
Joe Scarborough: Hannity is ‘State-Run Television’ 4 hr grave digger 23
R-7 Tries New Approach to Drum Up Support for P... 4 hr grave digger 28
The Trump Train will stay on the track to MAGA 4 hr grave digger 168
Brand New Oath 4 hr grave digger 5
Old dogs and suds 9 hr Nosey 3
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 10 hr WTF 110,057

West Plains Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Plains Mortgages