Faith Enterprises
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Google It”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#1 Jul 20, 2010
So, I paid $60 for a diagnostic on my laptop. They said they opened it and discovered I needed a new motherboard which would cost me $220 plus $60 to put it in. I said to forget about it because I couldn't afford to have it fixed. I went ahead and let my brother take a look at it since I couldn't do anything with it. After 15 minutes and a 30 cent CMOS battery, he had it working again. He also mentioned that my laptop hadn't been opened before. Regardless of whether it was opened or not, they charged my $60 for a wrongful diagnosis, and it would have cost me $280 for what could have only cost me 30 cents. They refused to refund my money and justified it with "I learn something new everyday." Anyone else have bad experiences there? When I went on the better business bureau to file a report they already had a lot of reports and their overall rating was a D minus.
wendell

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Jul 20, 2010
hahahaha......your brother smells funny....just saying
Keep the Faith

Fordland, MO

#3 Jul 20, 2010
Octoberr wrote:
So, I paid $60 for a diagnostic on my laptop. They said they opened it and discovered I needed a new motherboard which would cost me $220 plus $60 to put it in. I said to forget about it because I couldn't afford to have it fixed. I went ahead and let my brother take a look at it since I couldn't do anything with it. After 15 minutes and a 30 cent CMOS battery, he had it working again. He also mentioned that my laptop hadn't been opened before. Regardless of whether it was opened or not, they charged my $60 for a wrongful diagnosis, and it would have cost me $280 for what could have only cost me 30 cents. They refused to refund my money and justified it with "I learn something new everyday." Anyone else have bad experiences there? When I went on the better business bureau to file a report they already had a lot of reports and their overall rating was a D minus.
lol... seen that happen a few times with places like faith. they hire a bunch of guys who barely know anything about computers. if it makes ya feel any better the guy prolly didn't even know the laptop had a cmos battery.

and nothing against your bro but i can open a laptop up and put it back together and you wouldn't be able to tell i had opened it up. not that faith did or your bro is wrong but just saying it is possible.
happy customer

Canada

#4 Jul 20, 2010
i took mine there thinking i needed a new wireless card. their tech spent 5 minutes with it, changed two settings (which had reset themselves somehow to default), and had it working again. and then wouldn't charge me for it.
great service, no complaints. btw, their tech has 20+ years experience, no offense, but how old is your brother?
Max Power

Chesterfield, MO

#5 Jul 20, 2010
haha... maybe he needs to update his experiance. or quite robbin people....
Old Tech

Ozark, MO

#6 Jul 20, 2010
happy customer wrote:
i took mine there thinking i needed a new wireless card. their tech spent 5 minutes with it, changed two settings (which had reset themselves somehow to default), and had it working again. and then wouldn't charge me for it.
great service, no complaints. btw, their tech has 20+ years experience, no offense, but how old is your brother?
I've got 30+ years of experience in the IT field and little thing like a bad cmos battery still get me from time to time.

“Google It”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#7 Jul 20, 2010
happy customer wrote:
i took mine there thinking i needed a new wireless card. their tech spent 5 minutes with it, changed two settings (which had reset themselves somehow to default), and had it working again. and then wouldn't charge me for it.
great service, no complaints. btw, their tech has 20+ years experience, no offense, but how old is your brother?
Regardless of how old my brother is (or funny smelling) he fixed my laptop with out going to the extreme, most expensive route possible. I took it to a professional to get an accurate diagnosis. I PAID him for an accurate diagnosis. He clearly did not go through all the diagnostic steps, starting with the little things first. When we asked him why he diagnosed it with the mother board when all it needed was a battery, he said he googled my laptop model and found an abundance of problems with the motherboard so he assumed that was the problem. I paid $60 for his assumptions and for info I could have found out myself by simply googling.

As far as your situation, it a different story. I can understand him not charging you. There wasn't anything wrong with your computer. You could have called the tech support for you internet provider and they could have told you how to do that. He didn't keep it over night, hook it up to his diagnostic machine (AKA googling)or take any time to work on it. The receptionist has good customer service. I really liked her. But her good manners doesn't change the fact that they ripped me off.
happy customer

Canada

#8 Jul 20, 2010
first off, how could i have gotten that from tech support if i didnt know what the problem was? the problem has to be identified first before necessary repairs can be made, right?
and funny you should compliment the receptionist, she's the boss. she actually sets the rates, not the tech.
and, did you read what old tech said? he's been doin it for 30+ years and still missses simple things sometimes. so, maybe your brother is a computer genius, and maybe your experience at that place was just your experience? sorry yours was bad, mine was exceptionally good. and by the way, i'm actually pretty good with computers, this was only the second time in almost as many years as you are old (no offense), of me ever having to go to a tech. always fixed it myself. and i missed something as simple as factory default settings resetting themselves. mistakes are possible when dealing with humans.

“Google It”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#9 Jul 20, 2010
happy customer wrote:
first off, how could i have gotten that from tech support if i didnt know what the problem was? the problem has to be identified first before necessary repairs can be made, right?
and funny you should compliment the receptionist, she's the boss. she actually sets the rates, not the tech.
and, did you read what old tech said? he's been doin it for 30+ years and still missses simple things sometimes. so, maybe your brother is a computer genius, and maybe your experience at that place was just your experience? sorry yours was bad, mine was exceptionally good. and by the way, i'm actually pretty good with computers, this was only the second time in almost as many years as you are old (no offense), of me ever having to go to a tech. always fixed it myself. and i missed something as simple as factory default settings resetting themselves. mistakes are possible when dealing with humans.
I'm not complaining about the rates. I knew the rates when I dropped off my laptop. Let me ask you this. Mistakes are made, yes I get that. However, once I went back there and brought up they made a mistake, should I have gotten my money back? If not then I have to pay for their mistake? Should I have to pay $60 for a wrongful diagnosis?
happy customer

Canada

#10 Jul 20, 2010
did he do a diagnostic on it?
if you take a car to a garage to get it checked out, and after they have it the whole day and determine there's nothing wrong with it, do you not still have to pay them?
LuLu

Canada

#11 Jul 21, 2010
Shouldn't have to pay for a WRONG diagnosis. If that were the case then I guess I'll set up a computer business. No, I don't know a thing about computers but I can work google and I am a pretty good guesser! LMAO! Faith is a JOKE!!!!
Computer Guy

West Plains, MO

#12 Jul 21, 2010
The service price is $60 whether they can fix it or not. If you take a car to oh let’s say Dons Goodyear. Your car is acting funny and the check engine light is on. Don's charges $60 just to diagnosis it. That covers his employee time and his business time to pull your car in and hook it up to the computer. Even if the results say your motor is blown or your motor is gonna die in a week or they just can’t find the problem at all. It's still $60 for their time flat rate. Same thing with Faith and their diagnosis policy. Yes maybe he should have looked harder for the problem instead of just assuming that you needed a new motherboard. You did right with having your brother look at it. He is good with computers (Yes I know Him) Good luck Oh and P.S. (yes he does smell funny) LOL
BBB Guy

Ozark, MO

#13 Jul 21, 2010
They have one complaint filed against them. A recent complaint, that from the reading, sounds like you have another user who just happened to buy a pos computer by hp and thinks faith should just replace it. Warranties don't generally work that way. Not saying faith was in the right. Just saying I've been down that road with people who buy a computer that turns out to be a lemon after almost a year of use and they expect you to just replace it with a brand new computer. Try getting any company to do that. Not gonna happen.

In faith's case they should have just sent the thing back to HP to get repaired. Told the customer sorry it's a pos and we are letting hp handle the work or replacement.

Since: May 10

United States

#14 Jul 21, 2010
I'm sorry... I have to agree with Octoberr on this one. For the most part, when someone takes anything in for a diagnostic check, you expect to pay a fee whether they are able to locate the problem or not... However, in this case, I believe her money should be refunded. A diagnostic check was NOT performed...a Google search took place. I don't believe that qualifies as "diagnosing" the problem...
For instance, You take your vehicle to the dealership because the engine is making a noise. Would it be appropriate for your mechanic to assume that because many Honda Accords have a malfunction with their thermostat, that changing yours will fix the problem? Now you have a new thermostat and your Accord is still making a funny noise...
A good service technician listens to what is going on with your equipment, be it car, computer, etc. and from that decides what checks to run. Is anyone seriously suggesting that Googling the problem was at all acceptable?
The most concerning issue has yet to even be discussed... what IF she had said fix it... and it didn't fix the problem because it was still a battery issue... would they have stepped up to the plate and refunded her money? Just a a thought....
happy customer

Canada

#15 Jul 21, 2010
"For instance, You take your vehicle to the dealership because the engine is making a noise. Would it be appropriate for your mechanic to assume that because many Honda Accords have a malfunction with their thermostat, that changing yours will fix the problem? Now you have a new thermostat and your Accord is still making a funny noise..."

that is exactly what happens all the time. and you still have to pay for the shop time.

Since: May 10

United States

#16 Jul 21, 2010
happy customer wrote:
"For instance, You take your vehicle to the dealership because the engine is making a noise. Would it be appropriate for your mechanic to assume that because many Honda Accords have a malfunction with their thermostat, that changing yours will fix the problem? Now you have a new thermostat and your Accord is still making a funny noise..."
that is exactly what happens all the time. and you still have to pay for the shop time.
I don't disagree that it happens frequently... my point is that while we are all humans and are certainly bound to make mistakes... it shouldn't happen as often as it does. My BIL is a mechanic and will tell you that if you simply listen to the customer describe what is going on... you have a much better chance of finding the problem quickly, rather than making needless repairs... With that said, I am not bashing Faith, I have no experience there, just simply making an observation...
The hIT Man

Ozark, MO

#17 Jul 21, 2010
Profound Thinker wrote:
I'm sorry... I have to agree with Octoberr on this one. For the most part, when someone takes anything in for a diagnostic check, you expect to pay a fee whether they are able to locate the problem or not... However, in this case, I believe her money should be refunded. A diagnostic check was NOT performed...a Google search took place. I don't believe that qualifies as "diagnosing" the problem...
For instance, You take your vehicle to the dealership because the engine is making a noise. Would it be appropriate for your mechanic to assume that because many Honda Accords have a malfunction with their thermostat, that changing yours will fix the problem? Now you have a new thermostat and your Accord is still making a funny noise...
A good service technician listens to what is going on with your equipment, be it car, computer, etc. and from that decides what checks to run. Is anyone seriously suggesting that Googling the problem was at all acceptable?
The most concerning issue has yet to even be discussed... what IF she had said fix it... and it didn't fix the problem because it was still a battery issue... would they have stepped up to the plate and refunded her money? Just a a thought....
First let me address the Google issue. There is nothing wrong with using Google to find answers as a 'part' of your tool set. Many times the answer can be found quickly through a Google search and often a way to resolve it. In the 'What If' way of thinking, what if he had found the solution via a Google search and used that to fix the computer properly? Would anybody be complaining or asking for the bench fee back then? The answer is no.
Now to hammer away at your automotive analogy. Sadly I've spent a lot of money with mechanics who think it's this part or that part and once they put the part on, fix the problem or not, they don't take it back or refund any money. At least none I've ever been to. Most warranty the work, but that doesn't cover the wrong diagnosis.
As for the motherboard. Chances are if they would have replaced the motherboard it would have fixed the problem because most motherboards come with a CMOS battery already installed. Since the problem was the battery it would have been fixed and the OP would have never known the difference.
Two things I want to point out: First, we don't know what the problem was with the laptop. The OP didn't post what problems she was having so it makes it rather hard to just claim the tech was an idiot. We don't know what she told him and, no offense to the OP, but we are on Topix and people on here tend to lie. Second, we also don't know what the brother did to resolve the problem either. Maybe he had the same problem in his laptop at some point and through experience knew what the problem was.
I've spent a lot of time myself working on computers. I've been fooled many times by problems and found wrong information more than once via a Google search. However, I do want to point out that I've found more right answers than wrong on Google.
For the record I'm not a big fan of Faith Enterprises. I've sent people to them that have had issues after the sale. However, I also know people who have been perfectly happy with them. Same can be said for just about every business that exist.
happy customer

Canada

#18 Jul 21, 2010
well said hIT Man.

Since: May 10

United States

#19 Jul 21, 2010
The hIT Man wrote:
<quoted text>
First let me address the Google issue. There is nothing wrong with using Google to find answers as a 'part' of your tool set. Many times the answer can be found quickly through a Google search and often a way to resolve it. In the 'What If' way of thinking, what if he had found the solution via a Google search and used that to fix the computer properly? Would anybody be complaining or asking for the bench fee back then? The answer is no.
Now to hammer away at your automotive analogy. Sadly I've spent a lot of money with mechanics who think it's this part or that part and once they put the part on, fix the problem or not, they don't take it back or refund any money. At least none I've ever been to. Most warranty the work, but that doesn't cover the wrong diagnosis.
As for the motherboard. Chances are if they would have replaced the motherboard it would have fixed the problem because most motherboards come with a CMOS battery already installed. Since the problem was the battery it would have been fixed and the OP would have never known the difference.
Two things I want to point out: First, we don't know what the problem was with the laptop. The OP didn't post what problems she was having so it makes it rather hard to just claim the tech was an idiot. We don't know what she told him and, no offense to the OP, but we are on Topix and people on here tend to lie. Second, we also don't know what the brother did to resolve the problem either. Maybe he had the same problem in his laptop at some point and through experience knew what the problem was.
I've spent a lot of time myself working on computers. I've been fooled many times by problems and found wrong information more than once via a Google search. However, I do want to point out that I've found more right answers than wrong on Google.
For the record I'm not a big fan of Faith Enterprises. I've sent people to them that have had issues after the sale. However, I also know people who have been perfectly happy with them. Same can be said for just about every business that exist.
I agree with using Google as "part" of the equation... I still believe that using it to find the sum of the problems was probably a bad approach.
I understand with autos that sometimes there is no answer and it takes some digging to fix... just went through that and I find no fault with the mechanic for it... disgusted, but only at the cost! To his credit, he did attempt to start with the little things that could be causing the problem.
I honestly do not know enough technically about computers to know whether replacing the motherboard replaces the CMOS battery... so I will plead ignorance!:)
I agree that there are a lot of liars on Topix... but have read many of Octoberr's posts and thinks she shoots pretty straight.
And last, I agree that any business will have both bad and good said about it... such is life.
I guess my problem is that once the computer was fixed... I PERSONALLY would have been embarrassed to have missed something so small (again, I repeat, I am no computer expert). While I do not think business owners were placed on Earth to kiss my rear end... customer service goes a long way, especially in a small town.
My point is simple... if in Octoberr's shoes, I would certainly NOT recommend the business, but had they refunded my fee, I would tell others how honest they are... and I don't know about everyone, but that's the kind of person I want to do business with.
With all that said... it's probably a good thing that I don't own a business...it would most likely be in the red!
BTW... thanks for an intelligent conversation that did not turn into something ugly... those are far and few between on Topix! Have a good day!
The hIT Man

Ozark, MO

#20 Jul 21, 2010
Profound Thinker wrote:
<quoted text>Have a good day!
I like your name sir (or madam, but sounds better when you say sir). I think we see think the same way for the most part. I don't get on here much, but I'm always for an intelligent conversation. Laughably something not synonymous with Topix.

And you have a good day too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
South Howell County Ambulance (Sep '08) 4 hr Hell 108
Mistress in town 5 hr Dont miss you 44
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 5 hr TRUMPOCALYPSE 105,897
Trump will be at El Charros Tomorrow 5 hr howell co gop 2
Gary Peirce, drug dealer? (Jan '11) 6 hr Big ben need some... 12
Casey Cox 8 hr Yuihffv 3
Elizabeth Hornbeck (Feb '14) 9 hr Ihateidiots 35

West Plains Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Plains Mortgages