Best Local Charity?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 13

Nixa, MO

#1 Jan 2, 2013
New to the area, looking for LOCAL non-profit individuals, groups or organizations who help or feed the poor.

I represent a private group of folks who would like to donate funds from time to time. We do NOT want those nationally recognized sinkholes, or religious ones.

We are looking for local groups who could use some financial help?

Who would YOU choose?

Contact me at: [email protected]

Thanks!
Hello

West Plains, MO

#2 Jan 2, 2013
I have lived here since childhood. I am sorry to say that I unable to think of a local charity that helps people in this area. I would be willing to help start one if there is an interest.
A suggestion

Branson, MO

#3 Jan 4, 2013
AGDenaro , you should look into doing something with your private group to help the needy , sad to say the churches around here get their help from the government and people have to jump threw loopholes to get help , Rather then them helping the poor like the bible they read says . If people would be honest , work is hard to find here and when you do find a job to survive you really need to do two jobs because the pay is way lower then it should be . Honestly because we are living in the 21st century west plains should be just as blossomed and booming as other cities are , for that matter Missouri should be booming and blossoming like the rest of the states , Id move if I could afford to pull up the stakes but that's not remotely possible. I see so many poor families and poor elderly folks who truly need the help and wish if I had that power in my hand id be the first to do so. Please give it a thought rather then give it to the groups around here who collect their kickbacks and give whats left to what they see as dogs . There is no places who give genuine help .

Nixa, MO

#4 Jan 4, 2013
A suggestion wrote:
AGDenaro , you should look into doing something with your private group to help the needy , sad to say the churches around here get their help from the government and people have to jump threw loopholes to get help , Rather then them helping the poor like the bible they read says . If people would be honest , work is hard to find here and when you do find a job to survive you really need to do two jobs because the pay is way lower then it should be . Honestly because we are living in the 21st century west plains should be just as blossomed and booming as other cities are , for that matter Missouri should be booming and blossoming like the rest of the states , Id move if I could afford to pull up the stakes but that's not remotely possible. I see so many poor families and poor elderly folks who truly need the help and wish if I had that power in my hand id be the first to do so. Please give it a thought rather then give it to the groups around here who collect their kickbacks and give whats left to what they see as dogs . There is no places who give genuine help .
Email me, lets talk.
Jo Ann

United States

#5 Jan 4, 2013
Do not send it to Gainesville, Ava or Willow Springs, they are full of phony-funnel 501c3s. West Plains and Mountain Home are relatively affluent, skip too. Pick any other town in the Ozarks, they are all poor, no economy or jobs, and getting poorer.
JustWondering

Ozark, MO

#6 Jan 4, 2013
I knowy you said no reliious groups but I am able to go every 3 months and get food (and it's a generous amount) at the First Baptist Food Pantry and also get commodities once a month (it isn't a lot but anything helps). I don't know where they get their funding from but I know they help a lot of people every month. I even was able to have a Thanksgiving basket from them.
A suggestion

Branson, MO

#7 Jan 4, 2013
JustWondering wrote:
I knowy you said no reliious groups but I am able to go every 3 months and get food (and it's a generous amount) at the First Baptist Food Pantry and also get commodities once a month (it isn't a lot but anything helps). I don't know where they get their funding from but I know they help a lot of people every month. I even was able to have a Thanksgiving basket from them.
It's good that you was able to get food and such but in all kindness I want to inform you that a lot of the help they get is partly controlled by the the government and if it wasn't explain why you need to give information to them if you have or its pending a food stamp case . Because it's all monitored by the system . Why do churches need to deal with the government , the biggest crooks around ?? Please give it a thought . Back in the day when folks sought help from churches the help was given by the inspiration of an Godly act of kindness not over a ruler .
JustWondering

Ozark, MO

#8 Jan 4, 2013
A suggestion wrote:
<quoted text> It's good that you was able to get food and such but in all kindness I want to inform you that a lot of the help they get is partly controlled by the the government and if it wasn't explain why you need to give information to them if you have or its pending a food stamp case . Because it's all monitored by the system . Why do churches need to deal with the government , the biggest crooks around ?? Please give it a thought . Back in the day when folks sought help from churches the help was given by the inspiration of an Godly act of kindness not over a ruler .
I guess all that may be true but when you are in a situation like I am...a single mom with two teenagers and no nearby family you appreciate any help you can get. Without that suupplement of food we would not be eating a couple days of the month.
tljjj

United States

#9 Jan 4, 2013
Any places that helps with rent and electric in desperate need! Please help. This is a one time thing only.

Nixa, MO

#10 Jan 4, 2013
Jo Ann wrote:
Do not send it to Gainesville, Ava or Willow Springs, they are full of phony-funnel 501c3s. West Plains and Mountain Home are relatively affluent, skip too. Pick any other town in the Ozarks, they are all poor, no economy or jobs, and getting poorer.
Being new here, this is news to me.

thank you Jo Ann!

I probably should have made this more clear, but We are not necessarily looking for a 501(c)3. As we don't need the write off.

But rather, if some private person is doing good out there, these are the people we wish to help.

Are YOU that kind of person?

If so, what would you do with a few hundred dollars?

With a few thousand?

Best ideas come from a caring, compassionate heart.

Angus

Nixa, MO

#11 Jan 4, 2013
A suggestion wrote:
<quoted text> It's good that you was able to get food and such but in all kindness I want to inform you that a lot of the help they get is partly controlled by the the government and if it wasn't explain why you need to give information to them if you have or its pending a food stamp case . Because it's all monitored by the system . Why do churches need to deal with the government , the biggest crooks around ?? Please give it a thought . Back in the day when folks sought help from churches the help was given by the inspiration of an Godly act of kindness not over a ruler .
Excellent point.

This is one of the reasons years ago, these folks have banded together to see how they may be able to help those helping others.

It used to be that way. People in your own community would help those having hardships, not because they were lazy, shiftless or criminals.

We need to get back to the essentials of our heritage and STOP depending on the Government!

Whatever or whomever you depend upon becomes your god, or higher power.

Peace.

Nixa, MO

#12 Jan 4, 2013
JustWondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess all that may be true but when you are in a situation like I am...a single mom with two teenagers and no nearby family you appreciate any help you can get. Without that suupplement of food we would not be eating a couple days of the month.
We understand times are hard. They have been for thousands of years for billions of people.

My question to you mom, what are you doing to give back to the community? What are you teaching your teens? They learn from your example. They will do as you do. Do you really want that for them?

My unsolicited advice: find someplace that has helped you in the past, or a new place, and offer to come down and clean their offices, toilets, sweep the parking lot or whatever they need for a few hours a week, EVERY week and bring your boys with you. Don't give them an option of copping out. It's a requirement.

If you recall, a very wise man once stated,'Whatever you plant, that is what will grow.'

What amazes me is that folks plant weed seeds and expect plum trees. So be careful what you plant in your garden and especially in the soil of your teenagers lives.

So, if you were given a few hundred dollars, how would you spend it to bless the community?

Not on yourself.

Nixa, MO

#13 Jan 4, 2013
Hello wrote:
I have lived here since childhood. I am sorry to say that I unable to think of a local charity that helps people in this area. I would be willing to help start one if there is an interest.
You tell me a few things about yourself by your post. You seem to have it all together and live high on the hill. You probably have a good education and a decent income and status in the community.

First, you've never needed any help. That's a good thing.

Second, you seem rather clueless that there is such need out there that you would state, "I would be willing to help start one if there is an interest."

Of course you could be after what appears to be free money.

This tells me something else about you.

But I could be wrong.

I was wrong once before.

And it turns out I was mistaken.

That's a joke in case I have to spell it out to ya!

No really, why don't you find one of these elusive organizations and lend a helping hand. They could sure use the support. Or better yet, give them some of your time AND send them some of your money anonymously. So they can't pat you on the back and tell you what a swell guy you are.

But hey, who am I giving you advice, eh?
JustWondering

Ozark, MO

#14 Jan 5, 2013
If I had a few hundred dollars to bless this community with I would find a single mom who needs her car fixed because that is one of the hardest things to keep up for a single mom, and maybe for others too. As for your advice, thank you and I agree with you aboutgiving back. I have tried to volunteer and help people whenever possible but it's a long story. Kudos to you for tryng to help people!
JustWondering

Ozark, MO

#15 Jan 5, 2013
Oh and by the way I would love to be a secret Santa for you and your group...You provide the money I give it to people who need help...just like a movie saw!
huh

Niangua, MO

#16 Jan 5, 2013
Why is it that you always hear "help the single mom with ..."? There are alot of married people out there who are both working for very little pay and have kids but receive no assistance from the state or other various programs. How about the elderly people who scrape by on about $500 a month from SS and are too proud to ask for any other assistance?
I have found that those who need help the most are the hardest ones to find to help because they refuse to ask for anything.
student

Kimberling City, MO

#17 Jan 5, 2013
There is a woman in town named Rhonda Singletary. She operates a pantry at the high school for the homeless or without-parents high school students. She always finds a way to help without using the big organizations. I do not have any contact info however.
JustWondering

Ozark, MO

#18 Jan 5, 2013
To huh......I didn't mean to single out the single moms. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who need help..married or not. And you are right-the eldery who are barely making it and can't afford their medicine or enough food for the month could definately use the help. Iknow one thing...it sucks to have a heart for helping people but not he resources.
Angus

Nixa, MO

#19 Jan 5, 2013
student wrote:
There is a woman in town named Rhonda Singletary. She operates a pantry at the high school for the homeless or without-parents high school students. She always finds a way to help without using the big organizations. I do not have any contact info however.
That's who we're looking for!

Regular folks, doin' good in the neighborhood!

If you could send her information to me at: agdelnaro(a) gmail.com
Thank you!
Angus & Agnes

Nixa, MO

#20 Jan 5, 2013
JustWondering wrote:
If I had a few hundred dollars to bless this community with I would find a single mom who needs her car fixed because that is one of the hardest things to keep up for a single mom, and maybe for others too. As for your advice, thank you and I agree with you aboutgiving back. I have tried to volunteer and help people whenever possible but it's a long story. Kudos to you for tryng to help people!
That's actually an admirable goal. In many communities I've lived in there are men, usually from a church organizations somewhere, who will do just this.

Excellent suggestion. If you'd like to qualify for the first Charity Check, then send me an email detailing your plan and we'll work with you to see it to completion. But you have to do all the hard work. We're far too busy and don't live in your town.

So get to it and get back to us!

Angus 'n' Agnes

agdelnaro (a) gmail.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 4 min Johnny R 104,823
Churches are a joke? 17 hr grave digger 16
In God We Trust (Nov '15) 21 hr GetRealHighonPot 56
Is Dawt Mill Dam dangerous? 22 hr sjo 8
wreck on porter wagnor june 10 what is deal Tue Anonymous 1
Short cute blond at Arby's? Tue Tired _of _ lies 13
Fun tonight Mon grave digger 16
More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Plains Mortgages