First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Big D

Ozark, MO

#1 Aug 19, 2010
When is West Plains going to let Lowe's come to town?
Lowes Coming Soon

Lancaster, PA

#2 Aug 19, 2010
It will be built either in December of June sometime in the next few years, maybe
Bring Lowes to WP

Warrenton, MO

#3 Aug 19, 2010
We really need one!! Im so sick of going to these crappy plumbing/hardware stores we have now!!!.I think theres a strong force on the city government that wants to keep us in the stone ages around here?? Will probably take several generations before we can get some new thinking in this town..
Wowser

Amherstburg, Canada

#4 Aug 19, 2010
Why do you feel it is West Plains stopping them?
Expert

United States

#5 Aug 19, 2010
Bring Lowes to WP wrote:
We really need one!! Im so sick of going to these crappy plumbing/hardware stores we have now!!!.I think theres a strong force on the city government that wants to keep us in the stone ages around here?? Will probably take several generations before we can get some new thinking in this town..
You hit the NAIL on the head!It is the city stopping them.They gave them alot of problems over permits and backed out of some promises the city made,Is what I heard.
Wowser

Amherstburg, Canada

#6 Aug 19, 2010
And there you are. What you heard. Thats concrete stuff.

They DELAYED their plans due to the economy, but are still planning to be in WP. Their statement.

Don't you just love mindless gossip?
BS BS BS

Orlando, FL

#7 Aug 19, 2010
BS its all BS West Plains is full of it. We got the F&^&^ outta there LOL.
Good job Wowser

Wentzville, MO

#8 Aug 20, 2010
Wowser wrote:
And there you are. What you heard. Thats concrete stuff.
They DELAYED their plans due to the economy, but are still planning to be in WP. Their statement.
Don't you just love mindless gossip?
You are totally correct. However there is no point in trying to explain this to anyone, they would much rather complain and play the blame game. Then when we do get a Lowe's they will continue to complain.
Common Sense

United States

#9 Aug 22, 2010
Bring Lowes to WP wrote:
Question: Why are they "crappy plumming/hardware stores"? Because they are not as large as Lowes?
Bass Pro started off as a little fish and tackle shop. It took them years but they are now very large with stores in numerous states and online capabilites making them nation wide. It takes people coming into their store in order to grow.
Once Lowes does come into West Plains, these stores that have supported your projects will then go out of business. They will no longer have their shot as Lowes had one day when they were a small Plumming/hardware store.
So, we want big stores to come in and take out the little guys. I really like being able to go into a small store and you know the people vice a big store that some associates believe that you are bothering them when asking a question. But that is me.
sally

United States

#10 Aug 22, 2010
I don't like the small local stores screwing me out of my hard earned money to help their families out,what about mine!They have been taking advantage of these poor people around here long enough!
Common Sense

United States

#11 Aug 22, 2010
sally wrote:
I don't like the small local stores screwing me out of my hard earned money to help their families out,what about mine!They have been taking advantage of these poor people around here long enough!
Actually, I have viewed the prices. Just because they don't give the items away does not mean that they are ripping people off.
Lets look at this. An "item" cost the store money. The store also has to pay taxes (unstood that sales tax is the customer but the store has their own taxes to pay), electric, insurance, employment, shipping, building/real estate, maintenance of said building, and the list can go on. Now, this "item" must be marked to pay all this in order to have doors open and item readily available so you do not have ot drive another 1 1/2 hours to pay 5 or 10-cents less at lowes.
See, lowes is able to mark some (not all) items lower than other because they sale in mass amounts nation wide. In volume, they easily exceed profits of that of these smaller stores. Thus - Lowes actually rips people off more since they give you a thought in your head that they are cheaper so you in turn go back and back and spend more money there.
I got a dog kennel at Hurshe's for $30 less than Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart (the exact same kennel). Was it a sale or normal price. Regardless, shopping around does help. Granted, we do not have a home depot or lowes local, however, we do have some great stores here to shop around.
Okay, it was discribed above about helping out family. Yes, the local store needs to make enough profit to pay themself because that is their employment too. It is their hard earned money. Running a business is NOT an easy task. There is a lot of work. There is a lot of worries too. Many risks. A sign of a great business owner is when someone walks through the door and does not see a sign of all the stuff going on in the back ground (called business operations). Many people clock in and out at work or has established working hours or could expect overtime pay. A business owner is on the clock 24-hours a day and pay is based on sales (commission if you will). There is really nothing in a pattern or that can be counted on so they do not know what their paycheck will be as someone with a standard job. That is stressful at best. Imagine if you will, one week was good but the next you are wondering if you will have enough to put food on the table for your 5-year old. Mostly because people want Lowes.
The Lone Rangers

Ozark, MO

#12 Aug 23, 2010
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I have viewed the prices. Just because they don't give the items away does not mean that they are ripping people off.
Lets look at this. An "item" cost the store money. The store also has to pay taxes (unstood that sales tax is the customer but the store has their own taxes to pay), electric, insurance, employment, shipping, building/real estate, maintenance of said building, and the list can go on. Now, this "item" must be marked to pay all this in order to have doors open and item readily available so you do not have ot drive another 1 1/2 hours to pay 5 or 10-cents less at lowes.
See, lowes is able to mark some (not all) items lower than other because they sale in mass amounts nation wide. In volume, they easily exceed profits of that of these smaller stores. Thus - Lowes actually rips people off more since they give you a thought in your head that they are cheaper so you in turn go back and back and spend more money there.
I got a dog kennel at Hurshe's for $30 less than Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart (the exact same kennel). Was it a sale or normal price. Regardless, shopping around does help. Granted, we do not have a home depot or lowes local, however, we do have some great stores here to shop around.
Okay, it was discribed above about helping out family. Yes, the local store needs to make enough profit to pay themself because that is their employment too. It is their hard earned money. Running a business is NOT an easy task. There is a lot of work. There is a lot of worries too. Many risks. A sign of a great business owner is when someone walks through the door and does not see a sign of all the stuff going on in the back ground (called business operations). Many people clock in and out at work or has established working hours or could expect overtime pay. A business owner is on the clock 24-hours a day and pay is based on sales (commission if you will). There is really nothing in a pattern or that can be counted on so they do not know what their paycheck will be as someone with a standard job. That is stressful at best. Imagine if you will, one week was good but the next you are wondering if you will have enough to put food on the table for your 5-year old. Mostly because people want Lowes.
Having a Lowes in WP will hurt the mom and pop shops just like Wal-Mart, but a lot of people from WP are already driving to Mtn. Home to shop at Lowes.

I look forward to having a Lowes here, but it's gonna hurt WP too. Just like Wal-Mart has.
Nice guy

Spokane, MO

#13 Aug 30, 2010
You know comon sense, your wrong for having feelings for these "small buisnesses". If they can't manage running a buisness then too bad. To compete with large corporations you need to show how your products have high quality, That's what will make the difference.
Wowser

Canada

#14 Aug 30, 2010
The Lone Rangers wrote:
<quoted text>
Having a Lowes in WP will hurt the mom and pop shops just like Wal-Mart, but a lot of people from WP are already driving to Mtn. Home to shop at Lowes.
I look forward to having a Lowes here, but it's gonna hurt WP too. Just like Wal-Mart has.
BS. There are THOUSANDS of stories where Walmart came into town, everyone said that the world would end for the local businesses,
and the local businesses fought to make their own niche, and prospered.

SERVICE, VALUE, and QUALITY. That is what most people are looking for. It does take the local business to recognize that and change their mindset.

Want to see an example of when Walmart does NOT come to town? SALEM ARKANSAS. Walmart tried to come to town, but the city fathers said no. Walmart then moved up the road to Ash Flat. Salem is continuing to crumble, downtown is vacant, only one grocery store now, the only thing booming is the gas station and Sonic.

Ash Flat has GROWN! Leaps and bounds. The entire county has benefited.
Jay Leno was here

Sparta, MO

#15 Aug 30, 2010
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Question: Why are they "crappy plumming/hardware stores"? Because they are not as large as Lowes?
Bass Pro started off as a little fish and tackle shop. It took them years but they are now very large with stores in numerous states and online capabilites making them nation wide. It takes people coming into their store in order to grow.
Once Lowes does come into West Plains, these stores that have supported your projects will then go out of business. They will no longer have their shot as Lowes had one day when they were a small Plumming/hardware store.
So, we want big stores to come in and take out the little guys. I really like being able to go into a small store and you know the people vice a big store that some associates believe that you are bothering them when asking a question. But that is me.
There is so much BS in what you said! Give me a break! These hardware/plumbing stores have had the last 25years here in WP with no competition from the big stores and they haven't expanded or offered better selection or better pricing!! I have found more attitude with some of these little businesses than i ever did at Lowes! I have actually found the employees at Lowes to be very friendly. Lowes would be a very welcome store to have here in West Plains.Lowes would bring some fairly good paying jobs that are much needed in this area and they might just actually hire someone who's not family or related to them!!! Please bring Lowes to West Plains
Big D

Sparta, MO

#16 Sep 7, 2010
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Now thats crap.Its all about customer service.
Big D

Sparta, MO

#17 Sep 7, 2010
I work for the Lowe's in Mtn.Home AR and live here in West Plains MO. I can remember when West Plains was a little biger than Mtn.Home AR.If you want to live in the stone ages then go live in Brandsville and visit your local Plumbing store.I think everyone should flood the phone lines and ask the chamber of commerce and the planning committe where is my Lowe's.
Thank You
Lowe's Employee for the past 3 years.
Big D

Sparta, MO

#18 Sep 7, 2010
It will not hurt West Plains.Did it hurt Mtn.Home? Hell no.Look at the way Mtn.Home has grown.You have a simple little mind.We need jobs.I live in West PLains and drive to the Mtn.Home store to work everyday.You would not beleive how many people from west plains shop the Lowe's in Mtn.Home.Look at the Money West Plains is loosing.Hello Get a clue.
Wowser

Canada

#19 Sep 8, 2010
Big D wrote:
I work for the Lowe's in Mtn.Home AR and live here in West Plains MO. I can remember when West Plains was a little biger than Mtn.Home AR.If you want to live in the stone ages then go live in Brandsville and visit your local Plumbing store.I think everyone should flood the phone lines and ask the chamber of commerce and the planning committe where is my Lowe's.
Thank You
Lowe's Employee for the past 3 years.
What in the world will the Chamber of Commerce do, or the planning
committee, to speed up Lowes to come to town? Specifics.

The way is clear for Lowes. All the basic work is done, it is just waiting for Lowes to get back on track with their expansion plans.
Wowser

Canada

#20 Sep 8, 2010
Big D wrote:
It will not hurt West Plains.Did it hurt Mtn.Home? Hell no.Look at the way Mtn.Home has grown.You have a simple little mind.We need jobs.I live in West PLains and drive to the Mtn.Home store to work everyday.You would not beleive how many people from west plains shop the Lowe's in Mtn.Home.Look at the Money West Plains is loosing.Hello Get a clue.
You are right - but I know more people here who go to Home Depot than Lowes. Home Depot is more the professionals store, while Lowes is more the homeowner store.

Lots more than Lowes contributed to Mt Homes growth, like being named the #1 retirement destination a few years back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jobs at OMC (Jun '15) 7 min Rodney 20
What's up with the men around here (Apr '17) 1 hr single lady 133
Happy Thanksgiving 2 hr Lovely Rita 83
Preacher Joel Osteen (Dec '14) 2 hr ECKO1 13
Couple looking for other couples (Apr '16) 2 hr ECKO1 31
OHHHHH NO part 2 7 hr YoureAHypocrits 3
Baffled 9 hr Trying To help 4

West Plains Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance