Poverty simulation at MSU College

Posted in the West Plains Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
I have to be wrong

Ava, MO

#1 Oct 24, 2013
Could someone please explain to me what this simulation consist of? If it is really what it sounds like, this is a complete waste of money, time, and should be offensive to any who truly are struggling in poverty if so. A simulation is pretending, a reenactment of a certain occurrence. If that is all a poverty simulation consist of, people who are not in poverty pretending to be, this is a complete was of time, and money. If you would like to learn of poverty, perhaps working hands on with people who are poor would give one a better idea. If you want to relive a history lesson, read a book. If you want to teach and make an impact on how poverty is effecting our country, nations, etc...take the hands on approach and spend the time and money helping to make a difference, not wasting it "pretending" to be poor. If you have time to spend pretending to be poor, you are no closer to knowing what it really was/is like. If you want to make a difference, do something. Please tell me I am wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/MissouriStateWP
grave digger

Willow Springs, MO

#2 Oct 24, 2013
I have to be wrong wrote:
Could someone please explain to me what this simulation consist of? If it is really what it sounds like, this is a complete waste of money, time, and should be offensive to any who truly are struggling in poverty if so. A simulation is pretending, a reenactment of a certain occurrence. If that is all a poverty simulation consist of, people who are not in poverty pretending to be, this is a complete was of time, and money. If you would like to learn of poverty, perhaps working hands on with people who are poor would give one a better idea. If you want to relive a history lesson, read a book. If you want to teach and make an impact on how poverty is effecting our country, nations, etc...take the hands on approach and spend the time and money helping to make a difference, not wasting it "pretending" to be poor. If you have time to spend pretending to be poor, you are no closer to knowing what it really was/is like. If you want to make a difference, do something. Please tell me I am wrong.
https://www.facebook.com/MissouriStateWP
call fox news and tell them,,,cuz they will show the world what their doing,,,it is a stupid thing to do,,,and then when fox news gets here and starts snooping around and gets a hold of a lot of the right people,,,the whole town will be exposed for what it really is,,,full of crooks,,,and the rich keeping the poor,,,poor,,,and now their making fun of the poor,,,what a school to be proud of,,,
Police State

Sparta, MO

#3 Oct 24, 2013
I have to be wrong wrote:
Could someone please explain to me what this simulation consist of? If it is really what it sounds like, this is a complete waste of money, time, and should be offensive to any who truly are struggling in poverty if so. A simulation is pretending, a reenactment of a certain occurrence. If that is all a poverty simulation consist of, people who are not in poverty pretending to be, this is a complete was of time, and money. If you would like to learn of poverty, perhaps working hands on with people who are poor would give one a better idea. If you want to relive a history lesson, read a book. If you want to teach and make an impact on how poverty is effecting our country, nations, etc...take the hands on approach and spend the time and money helping to make a difference, not wasting it "pretending" to be poor. If you have time to spend pretending to be poor, you are no closer to knowing what it really was/is like. If you want to make a difference, do something. Please tell me I am wrong.
https://www.facebook.com/MissouriStateWP
I had to do this at work once. It supposedly made you have a more comprehensive understanding of what the poverty stricken deal with on a day to day basis. Just wait a few months and we can "all" experience poverty on a personal level courtesy of Dictator Obama (Obamacare).
I have to be wrong

Ava, MO

#4 Oct 24, 2013
I said if it is anything like it sounds, it is a very wasteful and offensive ordeal. I am unsure exactly what it persist of and was wondering before I confronted anyone over it. But if it is how it sounds, it is extremely uncalled for, and needs to be done differently.
I have to be wrong

Ava, MO

#5 Oct 24, 2013
Police State wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to do this at work once. It supposedly made you have a more comprehensive understanding of what the poverty stricken deal with on a day to day basis. Just wait a few months and we can "all" experience poverty on a personal level courtesy of Dictator Obama (Obamacare).
So, does this mean my assumption is correct? This is rather ineffective and a waste of time, and funding? Money and time would be better spent on doing something to benefit the poor, and a real hands-on approach should be applied?!*Is anyone on here who will be taking part in this simulation?*
Police State

Sparta, MO

#6 Oct 24, 2013
I have to be wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
So, does this mean my assumption is correct? This is rather ineffective and a waste of time, and funding? Money and time would be better spent on doing something to benefit the poor, and a real hands-on approach should be applied?!*Is anyone on here who will be taking part in this simulation?*
It might be beneficial to some people if they've never been around poverty in any shape or form. This is assuming the participants take it seriously which doesn't always happen. It all depends on who is conducting the simulation, how it's conducted, and the attitudes of the participants.
grave digger

Willow Springs, MO

#7 Oct 24, 2013
Police State wrote:
<quoted text>
It might be beneficial to some people if they've never been around poverty in any shape or form. This is assuming the participants take it seriously which doesn't always happen. It all depends on who is conducting the simulation, how it's conducted, and the attitudes of the participants.
if they go to school in west plains,,,they have been around and seen poverty,,,the other poster is right,,,help the poor,,,dont make fun of them,,,
Police State

Sparta, MO

#8 Oct 24, 2013
grave digger wrote:
<quoted text>if they go to school in west plains,,,they have been around and seen poverty,,,the other poster is right,,,help the poor,,,dont make fun of them,,,
I seriously doubt the intended purpose is "to make fun of them".
grave digger

Willow Springs, MO

#9 Oct 24, 2013
Police State wrote:
<quoted text>
I seriously doubt the intended purpose is "to make fun of them".
then what would you call it?,,,keep getting good grades and when school is over with move as far away from this place as possible,,,if they want to study the poor people in this world go study the real poor people of this world,,,in America we say people are poor cuz of where they live or their income,,,but in America all people under a income level gets fre medical and free food an free utilities an free rent,,,but in other lands like mexico or most african countries them people are poor,,,thats why our mexican border is flooded 24/7,,,so the poor can come get help,,,so yes my freind,,,to do this about people in America is an insult to peoples dignity,,,their hope,,,their pride,,,just cuz their income is below what a rich man says is middle class or upper class or rich,,,
I have to be wrong

Ava, MO

#10 Oct 24, 2013
I do not think it was intended to make fun of people in poverty, however to PRETEND you are is rather sad, and ends up being the case. You can not PRETEND to be poor, knowing when you go home, nothing has changed. I can play dress up and pretend to be on tv, sure for half an hour I can relate to what the ideal celebrity life would be like in my mind, but it is MY IDEA, not reality. I am simply stating, it would be more effective and helpful for them to go and take part, and it would not be insulting and they would really at least get to see what it is like, not make believe. The idea is just an idea, not humbling, or effective if they are just pretending. By doing such they are making no real difference in making a change on something that are concerned about. If this is some benefit to give to the poor, that is nice, but it should simply be a benefit, not a show. If they want an experience, get involved, not write a check, and if you want to write a check, be a nice enough person to do such, instead of making yourself appear deep and in touch with the cause, and actually be in touch with the cause. Digger, yes, Americans' are spoiled. However there are some who do actually struggle without help too in America (very rare the extremity compared to other countries, but the situation is becoming worse). The thing was for people in poverty, other countries are simply dying, not just poor. As rich, middle class, and poor the income difference is alarming and the largest percent is low income, middle class is disappearing, and rich is still small but their income is growing. The truth is the nation is in land slide, the economy is crashing. If you believe we keep bouncing back, you are gullible, for eventually it will lapse, it was a system set to fail(scary fact). Yes digger American's are spoiled, but for people with money and power to see others struggle, may help in breaking the cycle of greed etc. But I do not think a "show" is necessary, a real look at the reality would be far more effective. The could not only give to a cause if that is what they are doing, but HELP take part in it, and see what it is really like then picturing a world in their head. If it is just to give, then give, don't make a show or spare your time to look better doing something that helps no one, and in which you do not truly struggle?! If you want to help, help, don't put on a show. If you want to give, thank you, but don't pretend you relate because you gave?! Seems like a good idea, gone wrong is all.
tim

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Oct 24, 2013
grave digger wrote:
<quoted text>call fox news and tell them,,,cuz they will show the world what their doing,,,it is a stupid thing to do,,,and then when fox news gets here and starts snooping around and gets a hold of a lot of the right people,,,the whole town will be exposed for what it really is,,,full of crooks,,,and the rich keeping the poor,,,poor,,,and now their making fun of the poor,,,what a school to be proud of,,,
Fox news is the rich mans propaganda mouth piece. They think its funny and make fun of the poor by insulting there intelligence with there spin. Trying too convince people to support ideas that will untimely screw them. But really I totally get why the GD would buy into that crap.
grave digger

Willow Springs, MO

#13 Oct 25, 2013
tim wrote:
<quoted text>
Fox news is the rich mans propaganda mouth piece. They think its funny and make fun of the poor by insulting there intelligence with there spin. Trying too convince people to support ideas that will untimely screw them. But really I totally get why the GD would buy into that crap.
ok timmy boy,,,the grave digger turns on fox news,,,listens to both sides when the story is about politics,,,they have a righty and a lefty on and each can explain their side,,,then can switch to the lefty news msnbc,,,all one side,,,the left,,,only talking about what fox news is doing,,,then cnn has a few good shows,,,and then you can even turn to the new arab tv news and listen to the terroristic veiw of America,,,by the way was an American news station that failed and was sold to the arab brotherhood by one of the biggest lefty in America,,,al gore,,,so fox news gives both sides of every story and the rest dont,,,
laalal

Ozark, MO

#14 Oct 25, 2013
bunch of federal money wasted on rich folk so they can pretend to be poor and understand the struggles of low class citizenship. I say screw that buy some grub for the food pantry.
tim

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Oct 25, 2013
grave digger wrote:
<quoted text>ok timmy boy,,,the grave digger turns on fox news,,,listens to both sides when the story is about politics,,,they have a righty and a lefty on and each can explain their side,,,then can switch to the lefty news msnbc,,,all one side,,,the left,,,only talking about what fox news is doing,,,then cnn has a few good shows,,,and then you can even turn to the new arab tv news and listen to the terroristic veiw of America,,,by the way was an American news station that failed and was sold to the arab brotherhood by one of the biggest lefty in America,,,al gore,,,so fox news gives both sides of every story and the rest dont,,,
I totally understand your position. You have been so brainwashed you can not see things for what they are. From the time you was a little kid in school you have had it pounded into hour head how heroic and great the USA is and never was exposed to the truth. You are so sure your right you can not even see things for what they are. Your rich masters own your soul. And you do there bidding by spreading there lies. Herb.
Shelly

Hutchinson, KS

#16 Oct 25, 2013
I did this simulation at work several years ago, it is designed to help those who work with people in need to better understand their situations so they can be more compassionate. from my personal experience I thought it was a great program that really enlightened me.
grave digger

Willow Springs, MO

#17 Oct 25, 2013
tim wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally understand your position. You have been so brainwashed you can not see things for what they are. From the time you was a little kid in school you have had it pounded into hour head how heroic and great the USA is and never was exposed to the truth. You are so sure your right you can not even see things for what they are. Your rich masters own your soul. And you do there bidding by spreading there lies. Herb.
its grave digger not herb,,,whats herb short for,,,herbert,,,thats a diffrent name you dont hear very often,,,must be an old english name,,,but other then that,,,America is ours,,,America is everyones,,,what was pounded in the grave diggers head growing up was to be proud to be an American and salute the flag along with love thy country,,,and if the old koots who served in world war 2,,,korean war and veitnam were wanting the grave digger to spread what they loved and beleived in by brainwash or pounding,,,then your right,,,they own the grave diggers soul,,,plus none of them were that rich by way of money that was,,,but by GOD,,,now go try and sign up on your obamacare and save yourself the fine,,,but little do you know,,,the grave digger can perdict the future,,,and see obama holding a breaking news alert that he will postpone the sign up for a yr for everyone,,,and the sky will part and the dark angels will sing in praise of the unholy one,,,and the blind democrat lefty bastards will blame the republicans and bush and the tea party for the web page failure and the goverment shut down,,,the same reason the shut down happened,,,cuz people wanted to delay the obamacare for a yr,,,but obama wont spin it that way cuz a devil cant say they done wrong cuz wrong is right to a devil,,,then America can be in the same position and place it was 2 months ago,,,confussed,,,ha haa haaa,,,but the appointed one will fix the imagration problem in America just like he fixed the medical problem,,,the grave digger should get paid for these perdictions,,,ha haa haaa
tim

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Oct 25, 2013
grave digger wrote:
<quoted text>its grave digger not herb,,,whats herb short for,,,herbert,,,thats a diffrent name you dont hear very often,,,must be an old english name,,,but other then that,,,America is ours,,,America is everyones,,,what was pounded in the grave diggers head growing up was to be proud to be an American and salute the flag along with love thy country,,,and if the old koots who served in world war 2,,,korean war and veitnam were wanting the grave digger to spread what they loved and beleived in by brainwash or pounding,,,then your right,,,they own the grave diggers soul,,,plus none of them were that rich by way of money that was,,,but by GOD,,,now go try and sign up on your obamacare and save yourself the fine,,,but little do you know,,,the grave digger can perdict the future,,,and see obama holding a breaking news alert that he will postpone the sign up for a yr for everyone,,,and the sky will part and the dark angels will sing in praise of the unholy one,,,and the blind democrat lefty bastards will blame the republicans and bush and the tea party for the web page failure and the goverment shut down,,,the same reason the shut down happened,,,cuz people wanted to delay the obamacare for a yr,,,but obama wont spin it that way cuz a devil cant say they done wrong cuz wrong is right to a devil,,,then America can be in the same position and place it was 2 months ago,,,confussed,,,ha haa haaa,,,but the appointed one will fix the imagration problem in America just like he fixed the medical problem,,,the grave digger should get paid for these perdictions,,,ha haa haaa
Why yes you are Herb. And I can see Obama administration pushing back the ACA fines a year he is fair that way. I also see your Nazi Republican tea baggers pulling more shit in January to try and screw poor people out of affordable health care cause that's the way your and your fascist kind are spreading lies and half truth spin and such (like fox news)
Armageddon T Thunderbird

Ozark, MO

#20 Oct 25, 2013
tim wrote:
<quoted text>
Why yes you are Herb. And I can see Obama administration pushing back the ACA fines a year he is fair that way. I also see your Nazi Republican tea baggers pulling more shit in January to try and screw poor people out of affordable health care cause that's the way your and your fascist kind are spreading lies and half truth spin and such (like fox news)
If God had not meant for some people to be poor, he wouln't have published some of the Bibles in paperback.
moses

Ozark, MO

#21 Oct 25, 2013
I didn't know god published the bible. You must be really old to know that kind of info.
Police State

Ozark, MO

#22 Oct 25, 2013
Tim is still under the impression that Obamacare is "affordable". I guess he hasn't heard the news about how insurance rates have skyrocketed because of it. I guess affordable has a different meaning today. Throw your t.v. out the window Tim.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fred Czerwonka ex WP Superintendent 9 min Flippin Funny 32
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Bedwetting Liberals 99,310
All remaining Christmas trees $20 2 hr Dick Richards 6
crystal floyd\drewery (Sep '10) 2 hr Larry Mccullar 12
Richards high school 2 hr The informed 28
Still think there's a god? 8 hr True believer 35
Well, Barack Hussein Obama has done it again! 11 hr Zombie Turtle Boy 11
West Plains Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

West Plains People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

West Plains News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in West Plains

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:46 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 4:46PM
Rookie Beckham leads Giants past Rams 37-27
Bleacher Report 6:10 PM
New York Giants vs. St. Louis Rams: Full Report Card Grades for St. Louis
NBC Sports 6:42 PM
St. Louis Rams lose 37-27 to Giants at home - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 7:22 PM
Giants Show Resiliency, Maturity in Win
Bleacher Report 7:49 PM
How Far Can Steelers' Big Three Carry Them?