First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tomm

United States

#1 Aug 19, 2008
I know that if someone drives off without paying for their gas at Snappy Mart gas stations the company will deduct the amount of the drive off from the clerk's paycheck. ok maybe not all I know for sure at the one in willow springs.
I was wondering if that was something that occurred at all convenience stores or what. I believe that this is probably illegal. If I was working at a gas station and they tried to deduct if from my check I would probably quit. I think that they do this because the clerks working there only make like 6 dollars an hour, and they know that they cant afford to hire a lawyer to fight this. It seems unfair that if some crook drives off that the employee is the one that has to cover the amound. I thought that the companies probably had insurance or something to cover this. Any thoughts?
Whatever

Ava, MO

#2 Aug 19, 2008
One of the cashiers at El Rancho Truckstop told me the same thing. I someone drives off, they are responsible. Doesn't seem quite fair. I wonder also how legal that is.
tomm

United States

#3 Aug 19, 2008
I am trying to research that, and as of right now im being told that is not legal

Since: Mar 08

Hartville, MO

#4 Aug 19, 2008
It seems like an employer could have any policy they wish. One doesn't have to work there. It does sound unfair. They should have pre-pay.
Whatever

Ava, MO

#5 Aug 19, 2008
That would be a good remedy--to have prepay. I think as the economy gets worse, we will see more drive offs along with shoplifting groceries, etc.

No, an employer shouldn't be able to have any policy he wishes. If that were the case he could demand you pay him so much of your check just for the privilege of having the job or some such ridiculous rule.
poo

Ozark, MO

#6 Jul 24, 2011
never drive off you loose license
hmmm

United States

#7 Jul 24, 2011
I worked at a truck stop in Oklahoma when in college and they had the same policy but a girl I worked with approved a pump for a trucker. He got away with 400 in gas and the company tried to make her pay for it. It happened on many occasions but the company never won. That's why they are insured. The reasons gas stations do that is so they don't have to file a claim. I don't know if it's legal but my coworker wasn't made pay in the end
tomm wrote:
I am trying to research that, and as of right now im being told that is not legal
meee
#8 Jul 25, 2011
A lot of stations will tell their employees that, to scare them into being more careful - but I have never seen it actually done.

I am sure there will be 30 experts who reply that they know for a fact it happens because it happened to their babies fathers wives lovers husbands wife.

Where the real legality comes in is if it drops the employees pay to below minimum wage. That is illegal no matter what state you are in.
Beotch

Watertown, WI

#9 Jul 25, 2011
lets all drive off and not pay for the gas why should the lowlifes get all the benefits.
oohlala

Harrison, NY

#10 Jul 28, 2011
Beotch wrote:
lets all drive off and not pay for the gas why should the lowlifes get all the benefits.
Are you above working at a gas station? I thought the low lifes were the able bodied people sitting on their asses eating cheetos drawing a check every month?
worker

Norwood, MO

#11 Aug 18, 2012
i work at a gas station that does that it sucks when it happens. you have to pay back every bit of it
truth

West Plains, MO

#12 Aug 18, 2012
worker wrote:
i work at a gas station that does that it sucks when it happens. you have to pay back every bit of it
That is wrong an employee has to pay back the employer after someone robs the place of gas. The next thing you know the store owner will charge the employee for shortages after every inventory. You should call the justic dept in jeff city and ask who to talk to and they will guide you to the right dept. then report your place of buisness. You can also make a police report after each drive off and when an if they do catch the drive off person, they catch most of them, you are the one who can get the money back not the store owner. Either that or rob the store owner yourself slowly over time like a cancer cell and get your money back from the prick store owner that way. Or slip and fall and hurt your back and sue the prick store owner or when the store owner leaves for the day put some out of order signs on the farthest gas pumps or make everyone pre pay for gas or skim a few cents from every customer to cover your losses or find a new job then post the store owner and store name on this topix and tell your story of the ignorent prick store owner and hurt the buisness that way. You don't steal from an employee who only gets paid enough to barley get buy, the store owning prick can buy insurence for gas drive offs which the greedy basterd most likely has already.
gremlin stomper

West Plains, MO

#13 Aug 20, 2012
id like to know why there are so many reports in the paper of people doing the drive offs and only get 5 10 or 15 in gas lmao if youre going to do it fill it up
truth

Marshfield, MO

#14 Aug 20, 2012
gremlin stomper wrote:
id like to know why there are so many reports in the paper of people doing the drive offs and only get 5 10 or 15 in gas lmao if youre going to do it fill it up
Thats because the store clerks boyfreinds or girlfreinds only need that much, dummy. You do know stealing gas on a drive off is not only robbery of that store but a reason the stores raise the prices on other items, to cover their losses. So who is a drive off gas stealer hurting? himself or everyone?
gremlin stomper

West Plains, MO

#15 Aug 20, 2012
i wasnt defending the thief's i was making a point about how retarded they are i mean why only put 5 or 10 bucks in to drive off if youre going to do it and only put in 5 bucks youre a idiot lol
bryn todd

Omaha, AR

#16 Nov 22, 2012
my question is that i work for rapid roberts and i had a drife off im wanting to know is it legal for my employer ,"Rapid Roberts" to tell me either pay the drive off amount or you can be terminated , cause i followed there policy and did as i was told so im wanting to know if that is true cause thats five hours of work that i had to loose to pay for this gas drive off

“Herp Derp”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#17 Nov 22, 2012
I used to work at the gas station in Kosh where they threatened me with that.(I was a cook, not even supposed to be on the register. How do I cook and run register at the same time while watching for drive offs?)
I inevitably had a drive off and they threatened to make me pay for it, I refused. They threatened to fire me, I said I'd get a lawyer.
They didn't fire me and I didn't pay for the drive off. Personally I think that policy is bullshit and likely illegal.
wowjustwow

Dallas, TX

#18 Nov 22, 2012
meee wrote:
A lot of stations will tell their employees that, to scare them into being more careful - but I have never seen it actually done.
I am sure there will be 30 experts who reply that they know for a fact it happens because it happened to their babies fathers wives lovers husbands wife.
Where the real legality comes in is if it drops the employees pay to below minimum wage. That is illegal no matter what state you are in.
One Stop does (or did at least) do this and that is a fact.
billybob

Ozark, MO

#19 Nov 24, 2012
Speeluunjuur wrote:
I used to work at the gas station in Kosh where they threatened me with that.(I was a cook, not even supposed to be on the register. How do I cook and run register at the same time while watching for drive offs?)
I inevitably had a drive off and they threatened to make me pay for it, I refused. They threatened to fire me, I said I'd get a lawyer.
They didn't fire me and I didn't pay for the drive off. Personally I think that policy is bullshit and likely illegal.
How can the cashier be resposible for an actual drive off?? They cant read the persons mind and have the police on the phone when the vehicle pulls up!!If there worried about drive offs go to pre paid pumps or put in cameras!!!!Or just make your minimum wage worker pay for it......
Jerry Seinsmeld

Ava, MO

#20 Nov 24, 2012
If all gas stations would invest some money in turning their pumps in a position where the car licence plates could all be read easily from inside the business, there wouldn't be a problem in identifying the people who drive off without paying. Many stations have people pull up "sideways" to the business where reading the licence plates would be impossible unless the clerks actually came out to look. Clerks could be responsible for jotting down the license plates on each vehicle or they can have a camera strategically located at the front of the store capable of reading each licence plate. It's not rocket science people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 9 min Welfare Liberals 99,884
Richards high school 54 min Power to the People 102
Republicans could impeach Obama 2 hr D alumni 14
you like to dance 3 hr grave digger 3
Well...It's Almost Official Now 4 hr grave digger 2
Will you be voting for Hillary Clinton in 2016? 4 hr Police State 1
The old Pinebrook Inn Siloam Springs (Apr '13) 5 hr vicki3702 92
West Plains Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

West Plains People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:06 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:06AM
Ranking Re-Sign Priorities for Chiefs
Bleacher Report 6:15 PM
Why the St. Louis Rams Must Draft Dorial Green-Beckham
NBC Sports 5:32 AM
Eric Berry "in good spirits" during visit from Chiefs brass
NBC Sports 8:37 AM
Nathaniel Hackett interviewing for Rams offensive coordinator on Thursday
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?