Kids Playing Outside Alone

Kids Playing Outside Alone

Posted in the West Plains Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Tired

Branson, MO

#1 Mar 7, 2010
Here's what I've been seeing over the years. Parents allowing very young children to walk through the neighborhood to go play at the park. It doesn't matter if they are 3 years old, walking with a 6 year old sibling. Or a group of 5 year olds. Parents are being neglectful and need to be called in to DFS. For the protection of the kids. There's risk of the children being kidnapped or run over and either injured or killed. Just today I drove past the park over on Deatherage and saw the police on the side of the road, talking to two small children that were alone. The mom then came and got them. This should be done EVERY time a kid is alone. This has GOT to stop. Some of these parents are so lazy!
Jeep King

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Mar 7, 2010
I used to go to the park when i was young and im an awesome person
Mclovin

San Mateo, CA

#3 Mar 7, 2010
I see kids running around in my neghborhood alone all the time. Playing in the streets. I don't get it either. I don't even let my daughter go out in the yard alone. Because you just never know these days. She gets mad all the time saying that all the other kids are allowed to ride their bikes in the street ... I'd much rather be Safe than sorry.
Tired

Branson, MO

#4 Mar 8, 2010
Mclovin wrote:
I see kids running around in my neghborhood alone all the time. Playing in the streets. I don't get it either. I don't even let my daughter go out in the yard alone. Because you just never know these days. She gets mad all the time saying that all the other kids are allowed to ride their bikes in the street ... I'd much rather be Safe than sorry.
I agree with you. Technically parents by law are not allowed. It's child neglect. DFS can be called on them. And probably should be in some cases. In my neighborhood, the kids are walking up and down the streets. IN the streets. I see 4 year olds alone every day when it's warm enough for them to be out. That's abusive. What happens when their kid gets kidnapped? The tragedy is, they'd never see them again. I'd rather knock on the parents door and tell them to grow up and watch their kids outside, than see their kids get taken, or hit, or hurt.

Since: Mar 10

Ozark, MO

#5 Mar 8, 2010
Amen!
Tired

Branson, MO

#6 Mar 8, 2010
Maybe if enough of us begin calling the cops when we see young children walking the streets alone, the parents will get the hint. It's worse than leaving a child in a car alone while going into WalMart. It's child abuse. It's neglect. It's against the law.
west plains

Branson, MO

#7 Mar 8, 2010
some parents want the kids they just don't want the responisibility that goes with them.
Tired

Branson, MO

#8 Mar 8, 2010
Then they truly don't want them...unfortunately!

Since: Sep 09

Sparta, MO

#9 Mar 8, 2010
lol. I just had this fight again with my daughter today. All the neighbor kids were outside. IN the street. Playing hide and seek. It's sad to see her left out, but shes not allowed to be in the street. Or in the yard alone, or outside alone period. And thats that.

Since: Sep 09

Sparta, MO

#10 Mar 8, 2010
And I have no idea why that posted twice.
Tired

Branson, MO

#11 Mar 8, 2010
McLovin65775 wrote:
lol. I just had this fight again with my daughter today. All the neighbor kids were outside. IN the street. Playing hide and seek. It's sad to see her left out, but shes not allowed to be in the street. Or in the yard alone, or outside alone period. And thats that.
I understand! Completely! I have five kids and they just don't understand as to why they cannot play in the street. One of my children saw neighbor kids running around outside completely alone once and it was hard to explain it. My kids say this, "The mommy doesn't want them. Look! They are alone! Can we take them and keep them? Nobody wants them!" Out of the mouths of babes!
been there

Chesterfield, MO

#12 Mar 8, 2010
we heard that alot from our kids thought we were being mean but we always tried to be safe better them be mad at you for awhile than have something awful happen
Show-Me

Ozark, MO

#13 Mar 9, 2010
My parents were really abusive. We use to ride in the back seat of the station wagon without seat belts and we would slide back and forth on those vinyl seats as dad took those corners.

My parents were so abusive we didn't even have bike helmets or protective gear.

My parents were abusive to the point that I remember staying outside with ALL the other neighborhood kids playing until it was way past dark

The most abusive act my parents did was to spank us when we misbehaved. Which wasn't very often because we didn't want to get a spanking.

Compare our society now to what it was 50-60 years ago and I Thank God we have all these laws which have certainly made things better. I don't know how my siblings and all of our friends survived into adulthood.
Tired

Branson, MO

#14 Mar 9, 2010
Show-Me wrote:
My parents were really abusive. We use to ride in the back seat of the station wagon without seat belts and we would slide back and forth on those vinyl seats as dad took those corners.
My parents were so abusive we didn't even have bike helmets or protective gear.
My parents were abusive to the point that I remember staying outside with ALL the other neighborhood kids playing until it was way past dark
The most abusive act my parents did was to spank us when we misbehaved. Which wasn't very often because we didn't want to get a spanking.
Compare our society now to what it was 50-60 years ago and I Thank God we have all these laws which have certainly made things better. I don't know how my siblings and all of our friends survived into adulthood.
Yeah. My main concern with it all. Even over the fact that vehicles drive so fast past them. Is the fact that there are pedophiles out there and children just aren't safe to be alone any longer. I think it was last year. It may have been the year before. But there was this guy driving a van through town, trying to kidnap children. One child ran away and told the parents and then the police were alerted. That's just a frightening thought!
to funny but true

United States

#15 Mar 9, 2010
lmao thats to funny but things are quiet a bit different than they was 50 years ago.... but sometimes a lil slack here and there doesnt hurt. my kids dont have bike helmets and the play out past dark but we dont live in town and when we did and they played out till dark i was out with them and all the other kids.
Show-Me wrote:
My parents were really abusive. We use to ride in the back seat of the station wagon without seat belts and we would slide back and forth on those vinyl seats as dad took those corners.
My parents were so abusive we didn't even have bike helmets or protective gear.
My parents were abusive to the point that I remember staying outside with ALL the other neighborhood kids playing until it was way past dark
The most abusive act my parents did was to spank us when we misbehaved. Which wasn't very often because we didn't want to get a spanking.
Compare our society now to what it was 50-60 years ago and I Thank God we have all these laws which have certainly made things better. I don't know how my siblings and all of our friends survived into adulthood.
cityslicker

Cross Timbers, MO

#16 Mar 10, 2010
But if you baby a child, then you get a generation like we have now....totally dependant slackers that can't think for themselves and expect everything handed to them for doing nothing. Not to say we should let kids run wild, but you do need to give them a little freedom so they can grow on their own, learn reasoning skills, social skills, maybe have a few adventures. Bad things can and do happen, and always will. But I don't think locking your kid in the house just to make sure nothing bad happens to them is a good solution. There has to be a happy balance somewhere
Tired

Branson, MO

#17 Mar 10, 2010
cityslicker wrote:
But if you baby a child, then you get a generation like we have now....totally dependant slackers that can't think for themselves and expect everything handed to them for doing nothing. Not to say we should let kids run wild, but you do need to give them a little freedom so they can grow on their own, learn reasoning skills, social skills, maybe have a few adventures. Bad things can and do happen, and always will. But I don't think locking your kid in the house just to make sure nothing bad happens to them is a good solution. There has to be a happy balance somewhere
Being outside when your children are doesn't mean you're not letting them do anything for themselves. It means, you care if your 4 year old is out alone. I'm talking about 4 year olds, walking alongside the streets playing. I saw today a six year old riding his bike up and down streets. Completely alone. Not a soul was there making sure he was alright.
Maybe

United States

#18 Mar 10, 2010
Who do you call when you know that kids are being abused, neglected, mistreated ? Calls have been made to the DSF, the police department and no one does anything. So what is someone to do ?
Tired

Ava, MO

#19 Mar 11, 2010
Maybe wrote:
Who do you call when you know that kids are being abused, neglected, mistreated ? Calls have been made to the DSF, the police department and no one does anything. So what is someone to do ?
Actually, that's not true. I know for a fact that it isn't true. Get certified in fostering and you'll find that out to be the case. Those calls.....save lives!
jigsaw

Canada

#20 Mar 11, 2010
Tired wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, that's not true. I know for a fact that it isn't true. Get certified in fostering and you'll find that out to be the case. Those calls.....save lives!
The person was asking what to do when all the calls for help haven't been answered. I don't know the answer to that question, but you on the other hand are ill-informed. I KNOW FOR A FACT that there is a woman whose children are terribly neglected and abused. With numerous (over 10) hotline calls and abuse reports. Her house is filthy and swarming with dopeheads and sex offenders. The Mom is always whacked out and the kids do all the cooking and cleaning that gets done. DFS always call and warn her when they are coming to investigate and she (ie the kids)cleans up before they get there. It has been going on for years and the state has done NOTHING. Regardless of what you may think, the precious Child Services has failed these children on numerous occasions. So I'm sure there are many others.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jesse Dalton 9 hr Sport 15
Jerry Brown banning Bible in California 11 hr FloppyDick 18
Regina Hilleman Sun I know 3
NRA incoming donations TRIPLE Sun cpt_redbeard 150
milfs Sat Justforfun 1
gay hangout (Jun '10) Sat FloppyDick 72
Target practice Sat GonnaGetMine 1

West Plains Jobs

Personal Finance

West Plains Mortgages