How Much to You Tip Your Waiters/Wait...
just saying

United States

#21 Jul 6, 2010
I never tried to "attack" you. You gave your opinion and I gave mine. The only time mickey ds ever bring any one anything is if they have to wait extra time on fires or something. Other than that you stand at the counter waiting for your food and you get your own refills on your own drinks! Also everything at mickey ds can be made in under 5 min. Unlike an Apple Bee's or Chilli's where your server is at your beck and call for an hour on average. If my opinion bothers you that much to think I was "attacking" you then you need to get some thicker skin. Serving is a SKILL a very hard one to master in fact. I moved up the server chain very fast because I worked my butt off! So yes I do think they deserve to be COMPENSATED for their work. it is not a handout in any way, shape or form. And I do get sick of people thinktat they are lazy people who don't do anything for their money and from your post that puts you right in the middle of that catergory. I don't think that anyone should ever supress their feelings but I also have the right to express mine. Also, I must point out you called me a "lame brain" when I didn't use any degrading names towards you in my post! So I'm pretty sure that would be you "attacking" me bc I disagree with you...
Non-Tipper

Ozark, MO

#22 Jul 6, 2010
I do not give tips because I don't feel that the servers deserve them. You may get paid less than minimum wage but that is not my problem. Find another job if you don't make enough money or whatever the problem is. If bringing a menu,meal and drink to my table deserves ten dollars, I would GLADLY get up and do it myself.
Depends

Pomona, MO

#23 Jul 6, 2010
My tip amount depends on the service I receive. If you only come to take my order, bring my drink and food and give me a bill I may only give you 10% of the bill. However if you come check to make sure everything is ok, keep my drink filled (especially if it is the rare occasion when I am drinking alcohol) and take away the dirty plates you will get at least 20%. If I order take out and they bring the food to my car I will give them a dollar or 2, more if it is really hot or cold. I do not penalize the server because of wait time or quality of food. That is not in their control. But the BIGGEST factor in my tipping is your attitude. If you are a happy, helpful server and you perform your job well you will definitely be compensated. If you are merely showing up then don't expect much.

One thing I have noticed is that the servers in Springfield and Branson are sooooo much nicer. I have ate at many restaurants there and the experience with the servers has been outstanding everytime. I have never tipped one of them less than 30%. There is one waitress in particular that I often give $50 to and our tab is usually around that same amount.

I waited tables for 2 yrs while I was in college. I learned very quickly that if you make a person like you and you do a good job then you get better tips as well as more customers requesting your area. Wish some of the servers in this town could understand that.
just saying

United States

#24 Jul 6, 2010
Depends I totally agree with you! I am the exact same way! I have noticed that a lot in this town also! There are a lot of good waitresses at Coltons (atleast that have waited on me) but I know there are some bad ones out there too. Good to know there are people out there that do understand the importance of servers!
Peggy Sue

Branson, MO

#25 Jul 6, 2010
Non-Tipper wrote:
I do not give tips because I don't feel that the servers deserve them. You may get paid less than minimum wage but that is not my problem. Find another job if you don't make enough money or whatever the problem is. If bringing a menu,meal and drink to my table deserves ten dollars, I would GLADLY get up and do it myself.
I agree all the way.
just saying

United States

#26 Jul 6, 2010
If you feel that way then stay at home and do it yourself!!!!
Timmy Lea

Branson, MO

#27 Jul 7, 2010
just saying wrote:
If you feel that way then stay at home and do it yourself!!!!
Where do you work,,, I'll bet your manager would love your attitude.
Depends

Ozark, MO

#28 Jul 7, 2010
just saying wrote:
Depends I totally agree with you! I am the exact same way! I have noticed that a lot in this town also! There are a lot of good waitresses at Coltons (atleast that have waited on me) but I know there are some bad ones out there too. Good to know there are people out there that do understand the importance of servers!
Glad you agree. I don't think most people understand how waitressing works and that is the problem. I haven't waited tables in over 10 yrs but when I did we HAD to claim at least 20% of our sales on our income tax. I knew plenty of girls that didn't make that much so they were basically paying taxes on money they never made. Each restaurant has different rules as to whether you have to give part of your tip to the busboy, bartender, person delivering food, hostess (usually make min. wage).

I just think it is ridiculous to not leave at least $1. Or even worse leave one of those Christian pamphlets and no money.
Papa T

Chicago, IL

#29 Jul 7, 2010
You two are so full of horse hockey you could be marketed as manure. First of all just how much should a person make to be a server? You talk like waiting tables should pay this outstanding wage. It's grunt work people not a life's ambition job. Besides that my friend owns a BBQ restaurant and I have talked to all of his servers none of which have ever left a six hour shift with under 60 cash in thier pocket. That's 10 an hour plus wage. That's a good paying job for grunt work! They have also left a shift of 6 hrs with as much as 438 dollars cash. Now that's 73 dollars an hour plus wage. Yea buddy the poor servers of America and thier tiny little wages. Whatever!!!
Depends

Ozark, MO

#30 Jul 7, 2010
Papa T wrote:
You two are so full of horse hockey you could be marketed as manure. First of all just how much should a person make to be a server? You talk like waiting tables should pay this outstanding wage. It's grunt work people not a life's ambition job. Besides that my friend owns a BBQ restaurant and I have talked to all of his servers none of which have ever left a six hour shift with under 60 cash in thier pocket. That's 10 an hour plus wage. That's a good paying job for grunt work! They have also left a shift of 6 hrs with as much as 438 dollars cash. Now that's 73 dollars an hour plus wage. Yea buddy the poor servers of America and thier tiny little wages. Whatever!!!
Hey, I never said that some of them didn't make good money. I actually made more waiting tables than I did at my first job as an Office Manager after graduating from college. But I was lucky that the boss liked me, the customers liked me, and I worked hard or else I wouldn't have been given the best sections, best times to work, or be able to work full time. Most servers are only given part time hours.
You are right it is grunt work. Who wants to wait on people hand and foot all day, listen to people complain, and permanently smell like the place you work at? How much is it worth....I don't know...how much would you like to be paid to do that crappy job?
just saying

United States

#31 Jul 7, 2010
Timmy I do not waitress anymore. And if I did I wouldnt care what my manager thought of my attitude, in fact they would probably agree with me! If I wasn't making any money I would quit and then it would become their problem bc they would have to train someone else to do my job.

Depends I'm glad you pointed that out. Where I worked we had to claim 15% if we made it or not. Which sucked!
ABC

United States

#32 Jul 7, 2010
Non-Tipper wrote:
I do not give tips because I don't feel that the servers deserve them. You may get paid less than minimum wage but that is not my problem. Find another job if you don't make enough money or whatever the problem is. If bringing a menu,meal and drink to my table deserves ten dollars, I would GLADLY get up and do it myself.
Perhaps Non-Tipper should stay home, go to fast food restaurants, or pick up cooked food from a grocery store instead of going to an actual restaurant. If you do not tip, it costs the servers money to wait on you. Is that fair? The Government believes that the majority of servers are receiving the recommended minimum tip so they tax the servers for it.
Jessica rabbit

United States

#33 Jul 7, 2010
I have waited tables since I was sixteen in pensacola florida, san diego ca, st louis and springfield. The tips not only depend on service and attitude but also the type of restaurant you dine at. I have worked with absolutely horrible waitress yet they still get tipped. This happens because while working in an upscale restaurant you get a certain class of people who are looked down upon if they don't tip. What I have noticed here in these smaller towns are not as well off and less likely to tip. therefor they make excuses not to tip. I also have yet to see a waitress who could make it in a big city.they just don't have class out here.all too emotional.
just saying

United States

#34 Jul 7, 2010
Papa T please tell me the name of this BBQ so I can tell my friends that still serve where they can make that kind of money!!! Also just because you think that someone is making that kind of money doesn't mean you shouldn't tip. I remember many shifts, most holidays, working for about 10 hours and walking out the door with maybe 30 bucks and HAVING to claim I made over 150!!! All because of people who just think someone else will tip me. I'm pretty sure that's well under minimum wage...
Papa T

Chicago, IL

#35 Jul 8, 2010
just saying wrote:
Papa T please tell me the name of this BBQ so I can tell my friends that still serve where they can make that kind of money!!! Also just because you think that someone is making that kind of money doesn't mean you shouldn't tip. I remember many shifts, most holidays, working for about 10 hours and walking out the door with maybe 30 bucks and HAVING to claim I made over 150!!! All because of people who just think someone else will tip me. I'm pretty sure that's well under minimum wage...
You apparently know nothing of the law in this state. An employer cannot force you to say you made income that you did not. They have the burden of providing undeniable proof if they do. Your employer doesn't do your taxes, you do. You obviously are not educated enough in the law to understand this. That's what disputed wages are. The problem with you crying about the bad nights is you are greedy and selfish and don't want to report your good nights. Now you say you had to claim 150 and only took 30. At 15% thats a grand in sales. Heck at 50 bucks a ticket that's 20 tables and if they only averaged 2 bucks a whack that's 40 bucks and we know in your rigorous 10hrs you had more than 20 tables. Or if it was 20 that's an average of 2 an hour. My God the stress!!! If you would read the thread you would know I always tip so you lose on your point there too. Last I checked being a server is customer service. So it seems we should tip employees at...... Wal Mart, Auto parts stores, hardware stores, lumber yards, grocery stores, and so on. They all lead you around to locate what you need and in many cases will carry it and load it in your vehicle. By the way minimum wage is $7.25 so your $30 in 10hrs makes $3 per hour then you do make a wage too add them together and see what you get. If that night was short what about the week before. Play somebody else for a fool I know better.
just saying

United States

#36 Jul 8, 2010
I know many girls that work at Coltons here in town. They all HAVE to claim 10 %. Its not an option not to, if you don't the managers go in and change it! Also I wasn't singleing you out on not tipping. It was just a broad statement. And yes I did have 1,000 dollars in sales that night. I had way more than 20 tables bc I had 4 that I was responsible for all night. I also don't appreciate you talking down to me. I know what minimum wage is and I did the math before I posted. And it is below minimum wage. Also its unfair to think that all servers are greedy. I was working my butt off to make it through school and I did claim everything on my good nights. If you would of read the whole thread you would understand that most places have tips share...so even if your server "makes" the money it is taken from them and leaves then walking out with less than what they claimed.
Depends

Ozark, MO

#37 Jul 8, 2010
just saying wrote:
I know many girls that work at Coltons here in town. They all HAVE to claim 10 %. Its not an option not to, if you don't the managers go in and change it! Also I wasn't singleing you out on not tipping. It was just a broad statement. And yes I did have 1,000 dollars in sales that night. I had way more than 20 tables bc I had 4 that I was responsible for all night. I also don't appreciate you talking down to me. I know what minimum wage is and I did the math before I posted. And it is below minimum wage. Also its unfair to think that all servers are greedy. I was working my butt off to make it through school and I did claim everything on my good nights. If you would of read the whole thread you would understand that most places have tips share...so even if your server "makes" the money it is taken from them and leaves then walking out with less than what they claimed.
I wouldn't bother arguing with Papa T. He is going off of hearsay and what HE believes to be correct. He should go wait tables at a few different restaurants and find out how it works. Maybe he could even check out the IRS website. I'm sure it will clearly explain it all to him.

The only sit down BBQ place in this town is Rockhouse 6 and I don't believe for a second waitresses make that much there. The owner doesn't even make enough money to pay her bills.
Bobbie Lynn

Branson, MO

#38 Jul 8, 2010
It sounds to me that Papa T is right on target. His facts and figures and his comments about "manure" seems like he has done his homework. If I tipped every service worker I dealt with, I would need three jobs just to pay tips. Not to argue with Papa T seems like the thing you should consider because he has his facts in order.
Ha ha

Ozark, MO

#39 Jul 8, 2010
Bobbie Lynn wrote:
It sounds to me that Papa T is right on target. His facts and figures and his comments about "manure" seems like he has done his homework. If I tipped every service worker I dealt with, I would need three jobs just to pay tips. Not to argue with Papa T seems like the thing you should consider because he has his facts in order.
You would have a point but all those service workers you are referring to are making $7.25 hr or better. Waitresses are making about $3.50 hr. Try working in the service industry and then you will KNOW what the facts and figures actually are.

If his facts and figures are correct and it is such a great paying job why aren't more people lined up to do this job? Are you 2 encouraging your children to become servers? I mean, if they make soooo much money why should you put your kids through college?
mrs g

Ozark, MO

#40 Jul 8, 2010
i give 10% of bill i think they should make minium i know im not tipping a carhop anything!!! plus i dont give anyone more than i would tithe to GOD!!!! BLESS THIER hearts its very tough work did it for 4 yrs but it really makes me mad when they add it before your even seated!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Plains Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 4 hr Johnny R 104,091
Ledbetter Puppy Mill 9 hr grave digger 2
Bootleggers B-B-Q 11 hr Wtfever 72
I'll betbyou think this Topix is about you 23 hr grave digger 2
Best and worst doctors at OMC Tue grave digger 29
mothers day May 3 grave digger 5
Cloud 9 ranch membership for sale (May '14) May 2 wantagoccampin 28
More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Plains Mortgages