Starving horses from Loxahatchee in custody of Animal Care and Control

Full story: Examiner.com

Palm Beach County Animal Care and Control took custody of 14 emaciated horses from the 3100 block of C Road in Loxahatchee Groves on Wednesday afternoon.
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Mar 23, 2013
Brigitta Pakler

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 9, 2012
 
I know all of these horses personally. I also know the whole family personally. There’s Dusty, Bella & Blue (the foal), Pirate, Golden Boy, Dreamer, Riley, Addi, Elipsa, Jordan, Goldy, and a couple of others. The owners took great care of these horses. I stayed with them on my school breaks and helped them feed, muck, etc. We all took care of them. Everything went down when they got kicked out of their house for personal reasons and left the horses at someone’s house named Jack. He did not want to take care of the animals for the time being and his wife could not do it all alone. One of my best friends Kayla (one of the daughter’s of the owner) took care of them and I saw it too. I was there. I know how much she loved the horses and I loved them too. I have known most of them for the longest time. And I know that she wishes that she could have kept watching these horses but it was hard not being in the same place as them. I cannot believe this has happened. I wish these horses the best, because I know I probably will not see them again. They are my life and Kayla’s too and I do not know what I will do without them. But, I wish them the best.
Rebel girl

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Nov 12, 2012
 
Poor horses:( I love horses and have eight of my own and I am sooo thankful I am able to care for them I wish the best to the emancipated horses and hope they find good homes the lord will help them

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Nov 13, 2012
 
Too many people have horses, that haven't the resources or inclination, to maintain them properly....
Pasogal

Jupiter, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 19, 2012
 
I have spent the last two Saturdays at Animal Care and Control helping with the horses that are surviving. It is so sad to know that a human could let an animal get in that deplorable condition. If anyone out there cannot care for your animals (any animal) please ask for help. Try Facebook or another internet option.The outpouring from the community in this case is so great that it proves this could have been prevented. Animal lovers have big hearts.

If the horses are turned over for adoption, it would be great if Animal Care and Control would be informed on the ridability of particular ones. That would help them get the best home possible. I have 3 horses and cannot have any more, but I do know of people who would adopt them and take great care of them and give them loving forever homes. They are all very sweet horses and anyone would be blessed to have them. Whatever the outcome, I hope they never have to face starvation (abuse) again. They deserve better.
longtimehorseown er

Boynton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 11, 2012
 
I first saw these horses 3 weeks after seizure and several were STILL in skin over bones condition. I doubt that these folks purposefully set out to harm their horses, but neglect in not providing adequate food and care IS cruelty. Worse was the fact that they tried to cast blame on other people and circumstances for their own shortcomings.
I am sorry for the owners that they lost their horses...but it was clearly their own lack of ability to deal with that many horses financially or physically. Had they properly dealt with the situation or sought and accepted help during the probation period, things could have been different for them.
Hurray for the judge...and the caring folks, employees and volunteers at ACC. I understand that 8 horses have been surrendered but that the owners are appealing in hopes of regaining custody of 4 of the horses. My vote is no.
Set the record straight

Port Saint Lucie, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 23, 2013
 
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Too many people have horses, that haven't the resources or inclination, to maintain them properly....
Perhaps you have been misinformed.....
I do not know if you will ever read this again... But I know this family and they had the resources and the inclination. You are commenting on something you now nothing about. These horses were loved and cared for for at least 3 years prior to all this. The horses got reglar vet checks and proper food daily. It was only after they had to move them did things go south. It is really easy to comment on half the story. There was enough food bought and the reciepts you never saw or heard about it will prove it.
Dont be blinded by the media and for god sake do not always believe everything you hear because it may not always be totally accurate. Of course the horses got better at ACC. What horses wouldnt get fat when all you had to do was eat 24/7. Not to mention they were away out of that bad place.
Set the record straight

Port Saint Lucie, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 23, 2013
 
Pasogal wrote:
I have spent the last two Saturdays at Animal Care and Control helping with the horses that are surviving. It is so sad to know that a human could let an animal get in that deplorable condition. If anyone out there cannot care for your animals (any animal) please ask for help. Try Facebook or another internet option.The outpouring from the community in this case is so great that it proves this could have been prevented. Animal lovers have big hearts.
If the horses are turned over for adoption, it would be great if Animal Care and Control would be informed on the ridability of particular ones. That would help them get the best home possible. I have 3 horses and cannot have any more, but I do know of people who would adopt them and take great care of them and give them loving forever homes. They are all very sweet horses and anyone would be blessed to have them. Whatever the outcome, I hope they never have to face starvation (abuse) again. They deserve better.
ACC knew everything there was to know about these horses. I heard that one of the horses had gone through leg surgery and had special requirements and they adopted her out and never told the new person. I spoke to him and know this is the truth. The horse was not supposed to be ridden for another month and they uh forgot to tell him.... AS for adopting them??? How do you really know who you are dealing with? You have all been so misled by an agency trying to make themselves look good. Always look eyond what you hear because people have agendas every day...I know the truth will all come out and you are all in for a suprise..
Set the record straight

Port Saint Lucie, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 23, 2013
 
longtimehorseowner wrote:
I first saw these horses 3 weeks after seizure and several were STILL in skin over bones condition. I doubt that these folks purposefully set out to harm their horses, but neglect in not providing adequate food and care IS cruelty. Worse was the fact that they tried to cast blame on other people and circumstances for their own shortcomings.
I am sorry for the owners that they lost their horses...but it was clearly their own lack of ability to deal with that many horses financially or physically. Had they properly dealt with the situation or sought and accepted help during the probation period, things could have been different for them.
Hurray for the judge...and the caring folks, employees and volunteers at ACC. I understand that 8 horses have been surrendered but that the owners are appealing in hopes of regaining custody of 4 of the horses. My vote is no.
Did anyone ever wonder why evidence in any case can be disposed of before the final verdict is in??? Horses being used as evidence in a criminal trial but ACC and PBC disposes of evidence??? Should have stopped at the civil hearing and all would be good. But what happens if things dont go as planned in a criminal trial?? Don't let your rights be compromised...You all sit so high and mighty... Can you truly say this cannot happen to you or someone you know? In this day and time we are not all millionares and to cast judgement on anyone is crazy. It is easy to cast stones as long as they are not at you...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the West Palm Beach Forum right now

Search the West Palm Beach Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 8 hr HCS 2,388
Complaints bring Magic Jack an 'F' from Better ... (Aug '08) Wed Frankie 263
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) Jul 22 nina roth 2,063
Lake Worth woman sentenced to prison for timesh... (Jan '14) Jul 22 Iram 6
Boaters Defacating And Urinating On Bird Island Jul 21 Richard 2
Should Florida ban pit bulls? Jul 21 At Large 14
grittiest streets in Palm Beach County (Mar '08) Jul 20 ken 16
•••
•••
•••
•••

West Palm Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

West Palm Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

West Palm Beach News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in West Palm Beach
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••