peoples trust insurance company
Alex

Pompano Beach, FL

#104 Jul 24, 2013
Hereís my recommendation on peoples trust: Stay away! I just did a lot of research on the company because I wanted to make sure they are reputable before I switched. So for those of you considering them; my long post might be worth a read.

My insurance policy is up for renewal in a month. I currently have Gulfstream insurance. Last year I paid $2060. This year they raised my rate by 14% to $2360. So I decided to shop around. I called a few agents for quotes and waited for their call back. I received flyers from PT in the past but forgot they existed. Coincidently, I got another flyer from them the same day I started shopping for insurance.

I called their agent the same day. They gave me a quote over the phone. The lady was professional, knowledgeable and guided me through the quote quickly. Now that I have all my other quotes I can tell you the positive. They did offer me the lowest quote out of any company for the same coverage I currently have. The quote was for $2139 from PT. This was for a house built in 96, covered for 356K, 2% hurricane deductible, 2.5K all other peril and with wind mitigation credits. Iím approximately 10-12 miles from the ocean in Broward County.

Initially I was excited so I was tempted to switch immediately. However, past experience with home related expense taught me not to jump at the lowest price first. So I waited for the rest of the quotes. One of these was from a very honest insurance agent. I had a policy with him in the past but switched to gulfstream because they offered better rates. He didnít even come close to the lowest rate that I found. However when I mentioned I was looking for a low priced company he mentioned peoples trust without knowing I already got a quote from them.

He mentioned that they do offer some of the lowest price in FL but he said that their agents have a reputation of giving you credit for deductibles that you donít have or underinsuring you initially to give you the illusion of saving money. Then 3-4 months down the line when youíre stuck they raise the premium on you. So this confirms some of the posts here regarding that.

He also mentioned the part about how they use their own contractors to do the work and you have no recourse if they lowball your estimate besides arbitration. In PTís defense the agent did disclose this to me when I got the quote. However, she said it in a way where she didnít specifically explain that Iím ONLY allowed to use their contractor and no one else.

She basically said this ďIf you ever have a claim itís very simple. All you do is call the number for our RRT and they will come right out to take a look at it. And after that they will quickly do the repair. We also have a warehouse stocked with supplies in case a hurricane strikes so your repairs will get done quickly by our contractor.Ē So she DID disclose that part, just not in a way where you understand that itís the only option.

The agent I contacted said ďyou will probably save money but dealing with them is like shaking hands with the devil.Ē Keep in mind when he was explaining all this about PT he KNEW I was not buying a policy from him. I had already explained to him that his lowest quote was too high. So he had no personal interest in steering me away from PT. In fact he told me that his recommendation was for me to just stay with gulfstream and pay the extra $300. He mentioned that gulfstream is a good company (he didnít even write gulfstream policies) and that itís better to stay with them then go to PT.
Alex

Pompano Beach, FL

#107 Jul 24, 2013
Hereís my recommendation on peoples trust: Stay away! I just did a lot of research on the company because I wanted to make sure they are reputable before I switched. So for those of you considering them; my long post might be worth a read.

My insurance policy is up for renewal in a month. I currently have Gulfstream insurance. Last year I paid $2060. This year they raised my rate by 14% to $2360. So I decided to shop around. I called a few agents for quotes and waited for their call back. I received flyers from PT in the past but forgot they existed. Coincidently, I got another flyer from them the same day I started shopping for insurance.

I called their agent the same day. They gave me a quote over the phone. The lady was professional, knowledgeable and guided me through the quote quickly. Now that I have all my other quotes I can tell you the positive. They did offer me the lowest quote out of any company for the same coverage I currently have. The quote was for $2139 from PT. This was for a house built in 96, covered for 356K, 2% hurricane deductible, 2.5K all other peril and with wind mitigation credits. Iím approximately 10-12 miles from the ocean in Broward County.

Initially I was excited so I was tempted to switch immediately. However, past experience with home related expense taught me not to jump at the lowest price first. So I waited for the rest of the quotes. One of these was from a very honest insurance agent. I had a policy with him in the past but switched to gulfstream because they offered better rates. He didnít even come close to the lowest rate that I found. However when I mentioned I was looking for a low priced company he mentioned peoples trust without knowing I already got a quote from them.

He mentioned that they do offer some of the lowest price in FL but he said that their agents have a reputation of giving you credit for deductibles that you donít have or underinsuring you initially to give you the illusion of saving money. Then 3-4 months down the line when youíre stuck they raise the premium on you. So this confirms some of the posts here regarding that.

He also mentioned the part about how they use their own contractors to do the work and you have no recourse if they lowball your estimate besides arbitration. In PTís defense the agent did disclose this to me when I got the quote. However, she said it in a way where she didnít specifically explain that Iím ONLY allowed to use their contractor and no one else.

She basically said this ďIf you ever have a claim itís very simple. All you do is call the number for our RRT and they will come right out to take a look at it. And after that they will quickly do the repair. We also have a warehouse stocked with supplies in case a hurricane strikes so your repairs will get done quickly by our contractor.Ē So she DID disclose that part, just not in a way where you understand that itís the only option.

The agent I contacted said ďyou will probably save money but dealing with them is like shaking hands with the devil.Ē Keep in mind when he was explaining all this about PT he KNEW I was not buying a policy from him. I had already explained to him that his lowest quote was too high. So he had no personal interest in steering me away from PT. In fact he told me that his recommendation was for me to just stay with gulfstream and pay the extra $300. He mentioned that gulfstream is a good company (he didnít even write gulfstream policies) and that itís better to stay with them then go to PT.
george

Boca Raton, FL

#110 Aug 1, 2013
DO NOT TRUST the PEOPLE TRUST COMPANY. THEY WILL Cheat you. sure i am witness. They will give a good rate. but at the middle of your coverage they will ask you more. otherwise they should cancel your policy.
marie

Melbourne, FL

#111 Aug 1, 2013
For the few of you in defense of this company, review these comments and count the negatives (all with deep experience with this company) vs the pros (all new customers without filing a claim yet, with exception to one with a very small claim) .... then decide. Bad news they are ...
Policyholder Atty

United States

#112 Aug 12, 2013
loveit wrote:
I've had great experiences with People's Trust and i want everyone to know. From when I first got my policy two years ago to having a small claim, they have been there for me. IT wasn't a hassle. Seems like a lot of people posting on here are scam artists trying to make money off the insurance company. I really took the chance to learn about the company and they are genuinely trying to do the right thing and help people. I feel safe knowing that in the event of a claim they will be here for me. If you feel safe with who you have, so be it. I'm saving money and feeling good.
This sounds like someone who works for the company. Based on location and what you have written above, I would be surpised if you are not family with someone who owns or works for this "company"
MIKEL

Jersey City, NJ

#113 Aug 16, 2013
Carl needs to read more wrote:
Just so you know..Peoples Trust might be great for the little guy looking to save a few hundred bucks but those people with assets to protect need to know the state ONLY covers $500,000 of a claim. If you have a luxury home this company is not for you..and by the way the State is investigating numerous issues with this company besides the big one from today. They've already gotten in trouble for some of their advertising practices and NOW THIS with unlicensed agents. BUYER BEWARE is not a bad approach.
AND by the way, collecting out of FIGA is not easy, takes a long time after a disaster, and (shh...) is running out of money like all other state/federal insurances. And yes Carl I am an agent and I quote against Peoples Trust all the time and am being 100% honest when I say we are usually very close on an apples to apples quote with them.
So you say if you do not own a luxury home it OK to use PT.
MIKEL

Jersey City, NJ

#114 Aug 16, 2013
It seems if you post a positive comment you are an agent or relative of the owner. If you post a neqative one you are an ex-employee, a competitors agent or a true unhappy policy holder. You will find unhappy policy holders in every company in the USA. No one is completely happy with the estimate or offer from their company. So they will state negative comments on that company.
I went thru Charley in August 2004 and saw all the major companies lax in their responses.
Some of my neighbors waited for SF and Allst for 4 months to come see and their damage and offers were ridiculous causing my next door to neighbor cry blaming her for the damage refusing to look at the pictures she took and submitted to him. Half the roof was blown off and he suggested they will fix the damaged section with a different color shingle. Lucky for me I had a company who I called the following Monday, an adjuster came that Wednesday, estimated the damage,located a SERVPRO store to cover my leaking roof. He then personally brought an initial check for $30,000 to get a contractor to fix my roof. Having cash to pay right away I had a new roof within 2 weeks. I chose my other contractors, negotiated with them and my home was completely fixed in 3 months. Meanwhile my neighbors were still waiting for their company's adjusters. I was on several of my neighbors roofs with plastic sheeting helping them cover their leaking roofs. Unfortunately for me the company did not renew the policies and left the state the following year. Been bouncing around 3 companies ever since, some start low then increase the following year. Earlier this year considered PT spoke and obtained a good quote, decided to with till renewal time, now after reading these opinions, will pay the higher premium charged this year, don't need the hastle of dealing with company owned contractors. Seen the problems wit the auto insurance directing me to their preferred shops.
Palm Beach Mom

Delray Beach, FL

#115 Oct 21, 2013
People's Trust has saved me a ton of money and I highly recommend them. Their customer service department was great when I called with a question. I highly recommend People's Trust Insurance to anyone looking to save money and needs a dependable homeowners insurance company. Seems like the people bashing on here are scammers. Just saying!
You havent a clue yet

Casselberry, FL

#116 Oct 21, 2013
Please file a claim and then repost a comment. Until you experience it do not defend.
Palm Beach Mom wrote:
People's Trust has saved me a ton of money and I highly recommend them. Their customer service department was great when I called with a question. I highly recommend People's Trust Insurance to anyone looking to save money and needs a dependable homeowners insurance company. Seems like the people bashing on here are scammers. Just saying!
You havent a clue yet

Casselberry, FL

#117 Oct 21, 2013
also ... call an attorney that deals with insurance claims and see how many they have against this company compared to other companies, or try any Public Adjuster and see how many will NOT help an insured when this company is involved.
Palm Beach Mom wrote:
G Ferrer

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#118 Oct 21, 2013
People's Trust Insurance of Florida has the cheapest rates. I go mold in my Kitchen and my kitchen was repair in less than 15 days. Excellent service and I will recommend them.
David

Homestead, FL

#119 Nov 9, 2013
What happens with older homes is they insure you and then once they realize your home is older the hit with either an outrageous cost increase or they simply cancel your policy. You end up back with Citizens. After that you have fo get all the reinspection done again. Just be careful you don't get caught up in the insurance game.
Angelo Menezes

Boca Raton, FL

#120 Nov 10, 2013
This deserves my $.02. Supposedly in the State of Florida in order for you to obtain your Insurance License you can not have an interest on a Restoration Company. People's Trust have done it. They own Rapid Response which essentially is part of their strategy for effective marketing as well as lowering costs. Effective marketing when they pitch the low cost policies to unsuspecting customers that only care about the bottom line. Lowering their costs when they don't even send a licensed adjuster to your home to scope out your loss. They send a Rapid Response rep who works for them and they are guaranteed the volume of work in exchange for minimum repair allowance. I can't tell you the number of times that our customers have expressed frustration because they discover later that they are locked with this company.
Mrs Hendricks

Tampa, FL

#121 Nov 20, 2013
I checked this company and they ARE NOT rated by A.M. Best's Insurance Rating Guide. They are in there, but the rating is NR (not-rated) meaning that they haven't been with AM Best's long enough for them to determine their financial strenght and ability to pay claims. It may take a few years. I was thinking of contacting them but after reading these posts have changed my mind so thanks to those of you who shared your experience. I appreciate it! All that glitters is not gold!!!
Paul

Orlando, FL

#122 Nov 24, 2013
peoples trust is the worst of the worst insurance company out there for home ouwners so, be very very carefull with this company, if you have a policy or considering with peoplestrust I will recommend to get rid off, this is a rip off, no good at all, peoplestrust and contractor Rapid response are rip off, please search very very carefully about them, good lack
Regretful Buyer

Casselberry, FL

#123 Nov 25, 2013
Anyone reading these posts should pay close attention and believe what is being written by so many. I have personal experience with them and their illegal Rapid Response Team. How the government is allowing them to continue operating I have no clue. If you decide to go with them anyway .... you better pray you dont have to file a claim (although your premiums will be raised after they get your business regardless). If you do have to file a claim, you deserve everything that comes your way. This blog has warned you!
Claire Voyant

Sarasota, FL

#124 Dec 12, 2013
Dear Scooter,
RE: 12/4/2008 post.
Five years later it is now crystal clear to even the most ignorant red neck that God has favored Florida in the hurricane department because the residents of the Sunshine State have REJECTED the heretical dogma of the conservative fringe. God has seen fit to bless Florida and has given unmistakable notice that if the residents do not want to suffer HIS wrath, they must continue to REJECT the rightist neocon devils who have taken over the Republican Party since the turn of the century.
Policy holders

Miami, FL

#125 Dec 18, 2013
It is very important for every Florida policy holder to understand that this insurer are calling their insureds VIP Members of the Gold Club. The true is on the application form. When you fill the application you will find a box indicating " preferred vendor " credit. Once you mark _y. Yes that provide the company with the right to repair your covered damages Using their Own Contractor. That endorsement will make a difference, just tell the agent that you want to have the choice tho select who will be fixing the damages in your property in a case of a covered cause of loss, do not accept the Gold member discount.
Policy holders

Miami, FL

#126 Dec 18, 2013
The agent can't force you to be part of the club and they have to explain you the questions on the application. If peoples trust agents don't explain you what is the true behind of the credit applied to the premium that is a good point to be discussed with the Fl DFS . Are real licensed adjusters adjusting the property claims? Are the insureds indemnified after the covered causes of losses ? Are properties fixed at pre loss conditions ? Are they charging the deductible before they provide you ( the name insured ) their estimates? Why they don't want you to have a professional representing you in your claim? They don't want to be playing with you in the field with the same level of knowledge ? The best option is a professional licensed Florida lawyer dedicated to property claims. This company don't have indemnity like Citizens. They supposed to be good professionals acting in good faith, but if they don't do that only a licensed attorney can make then understand the price of those mistakes.
Policy holders

Miami, FL

#127 Dec 18, 2013
From good hands to boxing gloves. Delay denied defend. Sounds familiar to you as insured after you file a claim.? How you can trust some one that does not trust you. They write your policy, collect the " premium" then when you have a claim you are consider out of control , they want to see the Home Inspection Report from the day you acquired your house, they want you mitigate the damages after the loss to prevent further damages BUT also you HAVE TO provide them with the right to inspect and investigate the claim as can be read on " Your Duties After the Loss ". How do you know what is temporary or partial repair if you can't be represented by a professional because the proceeds if any will go to the contractor of their choice. Who is that contractor ? Why in Miami Dade County PT use the services of the contractor from Naples.? If some have the answer I m waiting for that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Palm Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CITGO GAS @ MILITARY & SUMMIT RUNNING a SCAM..B... Sep 21 Truthfully52 1
News Hurricane Irma: For undocumented immigrants, th... Sep 19 Lawrence Wolf 11
Shame on Voters who support Climate Change Deny... Sep 18 supremeliberal 3
News Dog that disappeared in Florida in 2016 is foun... Sep 17 Wipeout 6
citgo gas @ military & summit running scam. bew... Sep 15 Truthfully52 1
Good paying job with spanking discipline for fe... (Jan '12) Sep 14 Dirty Old Man 17
WPB Century Village Mistreatment of Non-Residen... (Jan '09) Sep 14 MOASH 3

West Palm Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Palm Beach Mortgages