Blood donors outraged

Blood donors outraged

There are 3 comments on the NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA story from Sep 8, 2007, titled Blood donors outraged. In it, NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA reports that:

“We regret the delay, and we are most grateful to the sponsors and the blood donors.”

Organizers: Red Cross employees wouldn't work Stephen Tait WEST NEWBURY - Organizers of an American Red Cross blood drive were outraged yesterday when a group of blood technicians refused to work, saying they ... via NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewburyportNews.com, Newburyport, MA.

pete

AOL

#1 Sep 8, 2007
I disagree with this article I was there to donate and it wasn't just the heat it was greasy floor and fumes.I didn't see anyone smoking I came and went twice from the station.I have been a donor for 30 yrs and have never had a unprofessional experience with the red cross staff.They do this seven days a week at all kinds of atmospheres that are far from perfect. I feel as though the sponsors were un professional by dragging the media into a situation beyond the staffs control.
bob

Southborough, MA

#2 Sep 9, 2007
I also disagree with the article printed in the daily news. I was one the donors that came and left, but not for the way I was treated by the staff but for the conditions in which we were expected to donate under.
The blood drive was set up in the fire station garage where trucks and a boat were parked next to the beds that I was to lay on. I did smell an odor but did not know what it was. I was greated by a staff member and told that there was a delay. I waited a few moments and finally decided for myself it was too hot in that room for me and left. On my way out I passed the women sitting under the tree none of which were smoking. They thanked me for trying and told me to have a nice day. I have donated blood for many years, and my worst experience to date was a big bruise given to me by someone in training.
John

Topsfield, MA

#3 Sep 17, 2007
I also disagree with the article...it seems to go out of it's way to bash the Red Cross. If you read carefully, what happened was in hindsight an unfortunate choice of location for the blood drive..an area at the fire station next to trucks and other vehicles, where some cleaning was going on, open to the outside, with temperatures in the 90's! Everyone knows that blood donation activities are strictly governed by health and safety protocols and regulations (FDA, Red Cross, health departments, OSHA, etc)to protect the integrity of the blood collection process as well as the wellbeing and safety of the workers and especially the donors.It appears the Red Cross was trying to move the operation into an upstairs air conditioned space for the safety of everyone. The article didn't seem to give all the facts and told only part of the story in a way to make the Red Cross look bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Newbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Microsoft store offering Free YouthSpark Summer... Jun '16 mdunham 1
The local slumlord of Carriage Hill (Mar '11) May '16 Karmaisabitch 3
News Witch shop opens in downtown Amesbury (Apr '11) May '16 Barnabas 16
Info.... Apr '16 RichieB2015 1
News Chad Austin Gets Reduced Sentenced In Hostage Case (Dec '06) Apr '16 Eddie 61
mari anna matthews (Feb '10) Apr '16 RichieB2015 6
News Car slides into pond in Newburyport Mar '16 stevieB49 1

West Newbury Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Newbury Mortgages