Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2006

Hello all-

I'm beginning production of a television program on Big Cats for a national cable network.

I'm interested in hearing about any recent big black cat sightings in your area.

An acquaintance recommended I might have some luck among the many hunters in the Eros area.

I am especially intersted in physical evidence of big black cats: Video, photos or hair.

Post here or call me at the number attached to my name at left.

Thanks!
Roger Everett

Montgomery, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

After watching the Big Black Cat episode on the MonsterQuest series on the History Channel, I wanted to tell someone about my sighting of a big black cat here in Northeast Arkansas on the western side of Crowley's Ridge just south of the Beech Grove community. My sighting occured in the early 1990's. I was on my way to a friend's house near the Stanford community. It was late evening but not dark because I remembered that I did not have my truck lights on as I drove from Beech Grove toward Stanford. As I came around a curve I saw on the opposite side of the road a black animal right next to the road, looking up a rise into the woods. This rise was between 10 and 15 feet tall and was almost straight up. The very first thing that popped into my head was that it was a big boxer dog. The reason for this was, at that time my mother had a female boxer that had recently had pups. The father of these pups was a very big black boxer that was owned by an equipment rental store owner that sometimes kept the dog at his store as a guard dog. I met him him while renting some equipment and got to talking about his dog and my mother's dog. Both dog's had bobbed tails. We got both dogs together for breeding. I knew that he lived somewhere in the Beech Grove community and I remember him telling me later that his dog got loose and he could not find it. So, when I saw this animal, my first thought was that it was his big black boxer. It had a square jaw, short ears and was definitely black. But as I drove closer this "boxer" stretched out from it's sitting position and leaped up the 10-plus foot rise and a long tail appeared. I realized that this was not a dog at all. It was a big black cat. When I got to my friend's house I relayed the incident to him. He told me about someone in that area that raised hogs and something came onto his property and tried unsuccessfully to kill a mother hog, but eventually lost all of her piglets to some animal because all of the piglets mostly eaten carcasses where found nearby. I can't vouch for the piglet story, but I know that I saw a big black cat.
perplexed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2007

I have no idea what I saw tonight in Rochester, NY, but it looked like a big black cat and walked slowly with a humped back. It looked to be 3-4 times the size of a big housecat. Maybe larger. I would say it weighed somewhere between 35-55 pounds. I've been searching online for hours now trying to find an animal that it might be.
Horigan

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2008

I saw a big black cat about the size of a lab(little smaller) in the late 70s in San Jose ca near alum rock park. It was laying on our fence for a couple nights. Right were the deer would travel through our yard. we never saw it again after getting a large dog.
Franchie

Monroe, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2008

Judged:

me an chad waz dear hunten up en de konway luzeanna wone dae and senn dat kat, I waz bie dat deluter brige. chad senn em too. nedier won of uz coud gat de rifal up en tiam.
cathe

Carrollton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2008

Judged:

I live in indiana.. I saw 2 black panthers.. 1 bigger then the other.. the smallest 1 was up in our pine trees ..it attack my 600 pd filly.. she broke out of her fence.. or it would have killed her .. have a live trap set for it now.. going to shoot them if they come back.. I have 6 grand kids that play in my back yard also have 3 boxers,, it was as big as my largest boxer bout 95 pounds.. has any1 else in my state seen them?
Charles

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Judged:

On a trip to Florida, my grandparents and I were traveling on I-75 when a black panther trotted across the road in front of us. I can't be sure if it was a panther or not but It was extremely large. It was very long and low and with its outstretched tail almost stretched across an entire single lane. We never gave it a second thought until a recent show (monsterquest) on HISTHD. It seems that according to the show there are no large black cats in North America. I guess for people that haven't seen one, the show is correct.
dundee florida

Englewood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2008

working late at night i seen a huge black cat. it was not a house cat ! it was as big as my great dane when it walked out and into the light i could not believe what i saw .this cat was as long as my dog although not as tall .it came out from between some trailers and into a well lite area i could see it very well after words i asked a local police officer he told me that it was not the frist time that someone asked him about that.
Sam Ogles

Mcminnville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2008

perplexed wrote:
I have no idea what I saw tonight in Rochester, NY, but it looked like a big black cat and walked slowly with a humped back. It looked to be 3-4 times the size of a big housecat. Maybe larger. I would say it weighed somewhere between 35-55 pounds. I've been searching online for hours now trying to find an animal that it might be.
Last night my mother in law heard a noise in her home. She lives in an old mansion used during the civil war as a field hospital. Some tiles in the bathroom are loose. There were 3 solid black cats in her house, and she said that they had come in through a hole where they had knocked the loose tiles out of the way. They were jumping all over and knocking things off of the table and mantle. She said that they were a lot larger than regular cats. Finally they all headed in her bathroom and she locked the door, hoping that they would leave. They finally disappeared.What could that be?This is in Beechgrove, Tennesee.
Turnerville

West Monroe, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2008

I had some huge cats , say about the size of a 100 lbs., but I fed them one of my special "pepperdrugburgers".

Put some drugs inside the cooked burger. Cats ate it up then went on a trip.

I could hear them off in the distance screeching very wildly.

Scared the heck outta me.Locked all windows and doors in fear that they might try to claw the damn door down.

Loaded my three guns and couldn't sleep till early that moring.

Hope they don't come back.

“PhD Math ”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2008

That's what I've done to animals who roam into my yard.

Feed them meatballs filled with loads of hot pepper. They don't come back.

scoob

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

In Sikes,LA we have big black cats (panthers) around our neck of the woods all the time.Our hunting lease was named after them.
scoob

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Two were seen fighting eachother in the middle of the road one night.

“PhD Math ”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2008

This is the very reason I always carry a gun with me out in the woods.

You never know what you'll run across.

In Idaho Falls,ID the US FOrest Service offered a job to me. Then about one week later they sent this package.

Upon opening I noted on the front page "what to do if confronted by a bear".

I didn't take the job. Call me whimp, punk, whatever.

It ain't worth the worry or the stress.

Since: Apr 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2008

Judged:

Dave7637550234 wrote:
Hello all-
I'm beginning production of a television program on Big Cats for a national cable network.
I'm interested in hearing about any recent big black cat sightings in your area.
An acquaintance recommended I might have some luck among the many hunters in the Eros area.
I am especially intersted in physical evidence of big black cats: Video, photos or hair.
Thanks!
Growing up I was told of these panthers in Bienville Parish. My grandfather was out checking traps, this was in the 80's and one crossed his path. We was very still, but it never bothered him. Then about 2-3 years ago my husband and I were deer hunting in Bienville parish and he was sitting in his stand and one crossed the pipeline. He scared him. When I was younger we could here them screaming as they passed through the swamp . It is an weird feeling hearing.
Mo-Hawk

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Dave7637550234 wrote:
Hello all-
Have heard about the "panther house" in Rayville,La.?

I am unsure of how long ago (YEARS) but I was told the story about a Rayville family who was slaughtered by panthers in there own home one nite during a summer draught. very horific!
waynew

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

My parents live in a secluded wooded area on Lake Decatur in Decatur, Illinois. A large female black cat, I would judge to be about 45-50 lbs, has lived beside them for over eight years. We have many photos, taken by infrared-tripped hidden camera. It never got tame enough that we could approach it. In the winter it lived in a small cave formed by a pile of concrete rip-rap, and in the summer in or under an abandoned building on the property. Now this is where it gets interesting: For two years a large black male started coming around about December (I tracked him in fresh snow once, and the tracks were just over three inches wide). He would stay a while and then leave; we don't know exactly when because he was much more cautious than the female and hard to spot. But the result of one of these unions was a litter of four all black kittens, of which we also have pictures. To me this proves that these black cats are not zoo escapees or exotic pets released by their owners. They comprise a breeding population and I believe they migrate along river bottoms throughout wooded areas in Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, etc. "Our" cats were not aggressive towards humans in any way. However, I did notice that the feral housecat population fell to zero in that area within a short time after the arrival of the female. No dogs or other pets were attacked to my knowledge. There was plenty of small game along the lake, as well as cover; ideal for a cat this size. It's hard to believe that we have a species of large cat living peacefully among us, but it's true.
If any of you out there work for a media outlet, I would be glad to share pictures. We did not reveal this to the media or even friends outside the family because we wanted to protect the cat. The last thing we wanted was people out there stomping down the woods hunting it, or get involved with "ghost cat" crazies. Now, the cat has apparently died or left the area, and no longer needs our protection.
waynew

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2008

cathe wrote:
I live in indiana.. I saw 2 black panthers.. 1 bigger then the other.. the smallest 1 was up in our pine trees ..it attack my 600 pd filly.. she broke out of her fence.. or it would have killed her .. have a live trap set for it now.. going to shoot them if they come back.. I have 6 grand kids that play in my back yard also have 3 boxers,, it was as big as my largest boxer bout 95 pounds.. has any1 else in my state seen them?
Cathe: See my comment on the website, added yesterday. They exist among us and are peaceful unless threatened by other animals.

Wayne
Robert Stevens

New Braintree, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2008

June 15, 2008 While on Rt 77 in the town of Strykersville, NY. 12:30 am I saw what i thought was a black bear, turning around i was able to get within 10 feet of the animal. As it stepped into the tall grass my wife and i observed the striking black fur and then the 3 foot tail. It was a black panther. My wife and i are 20yr. experienced hunters, we are confident in our identifying of this animal. I clocked the milege and know the exact location as there are probably tracks there. bandit7254@aol.com
B Jones

Valparaiso, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2008

A few years ago a co-worker and myself were traveling on Little Silver Road in Okaloosa County, Florida (in the panhandle). We were shocked and amazed to see a large black cat cross the road in front of our car. Within a few seconds another, younger animal the same shape and size followed. We stopped the car and questioned each other about what we saw and agreed that it was the size of a large dog, probably 50 lbs., was black or very dark charcoal gray and had the profile of a panther. I reported the sighting to the Florida Wildlife Commission and they tried to convince me it was a large Bob Cat. I've spent years around wildlife and it was not a Bob Cat. I regret not getting out and looking for tracks.
Dave7637550234 wrote:
Hello all-
Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent West Monroe Discussions

Search the West Monroe Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
LA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 2 hr Hold on there 2,665
'Duck Dynasty' wine: Will Bible Belt fans approve? (Nov '13) 19 hr Lola 261
Who is the BEST divorce lawyer in WM? (Aug '10) Mon justfedup 15
Indictments in major drug operation to be annou... Mon Wat 1
ULM Police forced to retire! WHY? (Dec '12) Jul 25 lsb 20
Child Custody Jul 25 justfedup 1
Dr. Henry Jones SR (Apr '11) Jul 25 Mark 20
•••
•••
•••
•••

West Monroe Jobs

•••