City wants to hire an enforcer
Townsajoke

Buffalo, NY

#21 Jun 9, 2012
They need code enforcers out at Tilden Rogers Park.Trash everywhere,no sign of any parks people out there working.Pitiful.
unknown

West Memphis, AR

#22 Jun 9, 2012
guest wrote:
Well, I certainly agree with many of those points.
There is also the issue of Revenue
How do you pay for those garbage cans? Officers/Firemen/medics??
Potholes cost money
Secured bill paying services cost money
That money can only be generated in a few ways
Raise taxes or Charge Fees for services, outside of that, I'm not sure how they raise money.. But you attract new business by showing the business owners that your city is a safe, clean place, with a good work force.. And to have that, your neighborhoods need to be clean, without broken down cars and uncut grass, and trashy empty lots.
Money raised by fees charged to people who dont follow the rules are far more acceptable to me than by raising my taxes. Perhaps it's a drop in the bucket, but if that 50 dollar fine makes someone clean up an empty lot, that has a ripple effect.
And that is the only way to improve the city.
Oh, and the city has no control over the school system by the way, that is a separate independent organization from the city.
I understand the school is run by a separate group but some of the school leader are the same that work for the city (Sorrells, Catt, etc.) Same people making decisions for both entities. Voters will have to decide if they want change.

In regards to the fines, why not let the departments responsible for issuing the yard sale permits be the enforcers rather than hire someone..When I go to get a permit and also to the light department, it does not seem that they are really that busy. Times are hard and we need someone to make better, more efficient decisions on how the taxpayer money is used. Would save the city money so they could use it elsewhere.
unknown

West Memphis, AR

#23 Jun 9, 2012
Townsajoke wrote:
They need code enforcers out at Tilden Rogers Park.Trash everywhere,no sign of any parks people out there working.Pitiful.
I agree the Parks are not being kept up but there is a whole department who is responsible for keeping the parks up. Why hire someone else if the Public Works department is not doing the job it is suppose to be doing?? The roadways have not been mowed but they are going to hire someone to fine homeowners for not mowing their yards?? Seems like a double standard to me. The Public Works director is one of the ones complaining and wanting to spend more money to hire an enforcer but his department is not doing their job. Use the people you have on staff already to get the job!!

Marion, AR

#24 Jun 9, 2012
Actually the parks are maintained by the Parks Commission, not public works. Public works oversees the building permits and ordinances.

A clerk who issues a sales permit does not have the legal authority to issue a citation to someone who refuses to buy a permit. Only a police officer can issue a citation, that's State Law. That would be the reason why they want to hire an officer ONLY to serve as the code enforcement.

The School Board is elected, not appointed. So whoever runs and wins the election determines the direction of the School decisions. If you dont like what the school does, then run for election of school board and change it. Sitting back complaining that the same people are in both places could also be taken that only a handful of people actually give a sh*t, everyone else would rather just sit on topix and complain

Here's a thought.. if there is a roadway that hasnt been mowed that's the city's responsibility, rather than just complain on a site with no connection, contact city hall and complain.

You want to be able to pay your bill online, Fine, tell them! but we prepared to play a fee for that service, cause I promise you, Secured bill pay isnt CHEAP. Much like potholes, hiring more offiers, etc..
unknown

West Memphis, AR

#25 Jun 9, 2012
guest wrote:
Actually the parks are maintained by the Parks Commission, not public works. Public works oversees the building permits and ordinances.
A clerk who issues a sales permit does not have the legal authority to issue a citation to someone who refuses to buy a permit. Only a police officer can issue a citation, that's State Law. That would be the reason why they want to hire an officer ONLY to serve as the code enforcement.
The School Board is elected, not appointed. So whoever runs and wins the election determines the direction of the School decisions. If you dont like what the school does, then run for election of school board and change it. Sitting back complaining that the same people are in both places could also be taken that only a handful of people actually give a sh*t, everyone else would rather just sit on topix and complain
Here's a thought.. if there is a roadway that hasnt been mowed that's the city's responsibility, rather than just complain on a site with no connection, contact city hall and complain.
You want to be able to pay your bill online, Fine, tell them! but we prepared to play a fee for that service, cause I promise you, Secured bill pay isnt CHEAP. Much like potholes, hiring more offiers, etc..
This is the first issue I have every taken to Topix to discuss. I don't have time to use facebook, Topix, etc. I saw it last night and wanted to see if anyone else had similar concerns. I DO take action if there is something needs to be changed but unfortunately people want to call it "complaining" rather than fixing a problem. It just seems that people are not open minded enough to listen and make changes that why we continue with the same old problems.
unknown

West Memphis, AR

#26 Jun 9, 2012
guest wrote:
This is the first issue I have ever taken to Topix to discuss. I don't have time to use facebook, Topix, etc. I saw it last night and wanted to see if anyone else had similar concerns. I DO take action if there is something needs to be changed but unfortunately people like to call label it "complaining" rather than fixing a problem. It just seems that people are not open minded enough to listen and make changes that is why we continue with the same old problems. As the old saying goes, we keep repeating the same mistakens over and over and never fix a problem. My vote will be cast for changes in the future.
unknown

West Memphis, AR

#27 Jun 9, 2012
guest wrote:
You must be a city employee from your comments...I not trying to be critical but this is one issue that has struck a nerve with me since I have a neighbor who doesn't care if you are working several jobs, raising a family and trying to keep everything in order with your house/yard. I don't have time for games and I know he does and will be calling code enforcement everytime my yard has any growth or if I blink my eyes wrong. I have been lucky to work for a company for 29 years and we have been successful only because we strive to make changes to fix problems.

Marion, AR

#28 Jun 9, 2012
well.. I've addressed several of your "issues" .. non of which you seem to want to understand..

and I'm more than opened minded enough to understand, the problem is.. To solve a problem often takes more than saying "I want less government" and I expect everyone to do what is right..

When people DONT do what is right
gosh

Marion, AR

#29 Jun 10, 2012
Have y'all seen the living areas across town? You'd laugh at yourselves griping about a little bit of trash in your well-cut grass, spotless of leaves.
unknown

West Memphis, AR

#30 Jun 10, 2012
gosh wrote:
Have y'all seen the living areas across town? You'd laugh at yourselves griping about a little bit of trash in your well-cut grass, spotless of leaves.
I agree totally!...My point exactly--Why worry about petty things like mowing a yard when we have bigger problems in this community. It will cost the city $20,000 to $50,000 to hire an enforcer along with the people who will have to process the tickets and payments AND the countless $$s in legal cost the city will have to pay if someone contest it. All for maybe $5,000 or $10,000 in revenue from the tickets. Use the $20,000/$50,000 instead on improving the services we are paying for in the areas you mentioned. It unfortunate that a few city employees who have the mayors ear can push this petty ideal.
unknown

West Memphis, AR

#31 Jun 10, 2012
unknown wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree totally!...My point exactly--Why worry about petty things like mowing a yard when we have bigger problems in this community. It will cost the city $20,000 to $50,000 to hire an enforcer along with the people who will have to process the tickets and payments AND the countless $$s in legal cost the city will have to pay if someone contest it. All for maybe $5,000 or $10,000 in revenue from the tickets. Use the $20,000/$50,000 instead on improving the services we are paying for in the areas you mentioned. It unfortunate that a few city employees who have the mayors ear can push this petty ideal.
Also, if the city would get rid of the rules of only 2 yard sales a year, they could generate just as much revenue as a code enforcer from yard sales alone.
sheeeezzz

Cabot, AR

#32 Jun 10, 2012
code officer is just so the city can get more of your money. they already tear down houses that are unsafe. don't be a fool. all this is is a person that will harrass you and collect money for the city.
I really really really hope this does not happen.
Govt harasses people enough. Give me a break already. I can't believe this cok a mamy bs
it's really just another tax. wake up people
sheeeezzz

Cabot, AR

#33 Jun 10, 2012
Now I have to go and look up the codes so the city doesn't take money away from me I already don't have. Govt always finding ways to get into the peoples wallet and take their money. and some of you people don't even get that that is what it is and all that it really is. and nothing more.
leave

Cabot, AR

#34 Jun 10, 2012
dayyyyyyyyyyyyyy ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
please leave me alone please
so the city wants to hire somebody to walk around and look for sh@# that he can write a ticket on and suck money out of the citizens pockets. city wants a tax collector. Who are the idiots and I do mean straight up idiots that want this crap. Who are the mindless people so full of stupidity that want somebody watching them so they can write up a bill for you to pay? Don't you think that the economy is bad enough as it is? Now we need a patrolling biller? OHHHHHHHHHHHHHh Godddddddddddd NOOOOOOOOOO
blazed

Marion, AR

#35 Jun 11, 2012
people, we can control alot of this...we the people elect who runs our city.we need our pumps fixed,our streets repaired,old buildings torn down,etc.....how much money did we spend on those beautiful lights under the overpass???our city officials should think about whats more important and again people, we elect theese people, we should be more careful about who we put in office...and maybe we should demand that some of them are put out a.s.a.p.
Jesus

Marion, AR

#36 Jun 11, 2012
This comes up like every couple months

The lights were part of a grant issued by the US Government to beautify interstate overpasses, the grant could only be used for that one purpose.
blazed

Marion, AR

#38 Jun 12, 2012
well maybe someone shoulda said 'hey, we have better things to pretty up other than our overpass' but no....lets not fix our pumps that let us get flooded out ten times a year. trust me, we could spend our money better....other than a one purpose thing....lights......
Really

United States

#39 Jun 12, 2012
blazed wrote:
well maybe someone shoulda said 'hey, we have better things to pretty up other than our overpass' but no....lets not fix our pumps that let us get flooded out ten times a year. trust me, we could spend our money better....other than a one purpose thing....lights......
Blazed, I'm glad to see u talking with some sense, I was a lil worried that u had been hit with a "dumb" brick in the jail thread! Ur right about the gov waste on the lights! Maybe we should let those inmates in the jail clean our town up, we ARE feeding, housing, and clothing their worthless asses....... Just a thought!
Jesus

Marion, AR

#40 Jun 12, 2012
SO.. someone says.. OH.. Here's free money, but you can only use it for one thing and if you use it for something else, we can arrest you, oh, and if you dont want it, we'll just give it to someone else who will for the purpose it's set aside for.
Jesus

Marion, AR

#41 Jun 12, 2012
Seems to me.. it's all part of that "improving our city" idea..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Memphis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 7 hr Stop Lying 41,418
Ronald sharp Aka "Ronnie"or Ron (Jul '17) 7 hr Dont trust him 5
Whistling my toilet. 8 hr aarhost 1
30 n over grown women hanging with college boyz 8 hr younguns 25
Lacie Tinnon 14 hr Smith docta smith 2
I came so hard 19 hr Tampon master 1
Jessica Lancaster (Nov '15) Sun Coworker 42

West Memphis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance