Wal-Mart starts remodeling

May 9, 2009 Full story: Floridatoday.com

The Wal-Mart store here, soon to be neighbors with a new a Target about a mile to the west, will undergo an extensive remodeling beginning Sunday.

Full Story
community idiot

United States

#1 May 17, 2009
Man dies after setting himself on fire outside Wal-Mart

February 27, 2009

Sun-Times News Group

A 58-year-old Wal-Mart employee set himself on fire Thursday night outside the west suburban store where he worked and later died of his injuries.

“I can’t take it anymore,” the man told a police officer on the scene, said Randy Sater, a watch commander with the Bloomingdale Police Department.

“People tried to help this guy but he didn’t want any part of it,” Sater said.“His motive was he wanted to die. It’s just tragic.”

Sater said the man used lighter fluid to set himself on fire near a sporting goods store that is adjacent to the Wal-Mart where he worked, 314 West Army Trail Rd. His car was found in the parking lot.

Police were called about 10 p.m. The man worked the overnight shift at the store, Sater said.

Sater said a crowd of about 10 people, mostly teenagers leaving nearby chain restaurants, tried to help, offering their coats so he could put out the fire. He told them he didn’t want any help.

The man’s family, who lives in Carol Stream, were notified, Sater said. The man was first taken to Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove and then transported to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood.

He was pronounced dead there at 12:42 a.m., the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office reported.

Sater said this incident was something that was going to stay with witnesses for a long time.

“I can’t even put it into words for somebody taking their life in this fashion,” he said.“The pain, it’s just incredible.”

follow up
the employee was told to quit smoking or get fired ..
illinois just passed a statewide public smoking ban

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Melbourne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Melbourne boring? (Jan '10) Tue BigD 71
Do you approve of Bill Posey as Representative? Dec 21 Sally Lotz 1
Do you approve of john Mazziotti as Mayor? Dec 21 Sally Lotz 1
Human compassion, the lack of... (Apr '13) Dec 20 cazamana 2
Review: June Park Baptist Church Thrift Store Dec 19 Angela 1
looking for blues Dec 15 I dont bite 2
Janice Dickinson 'Disgusted' Over Bill Cosby's ... Dec 14 Big Mess 4
West Melbourne Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web