Doughboy War Memorial at Jamestown destroyed

Feb 20, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Columbia Magazine

Doughboy War Memorial at Jamestown destroyed By Sgt. Jeffrey Kerns, News Media Director, Jamestown PD Story forwarded to ColumbiaMagazine.com by Larry Smith, WHVE 92.7 FM The Doughboy War Memorial statue in ... via Columbia Magazine

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Feb 8, 2012
jamestown visitor

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2008

How sad that this monument was destroyed. I like the way each small town has its own special look and feel. Hopefully this can be repaired in the near future. Good Luck to Jamestown. You are a community that can and will come together to fix the Doughboy or come up with another idea to show honor to those people that served our country.
carver

Davis, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Beyond words. I am a marine vet and that just strikes a nerve. On a side note, I am a chainsaw carved and would be very interested in carving a big memorial to replace the old one if it can't be fixed.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Wow, what happened to it? Vandals I assume? Sorry to hear that he got destroyed. Hope it can be repaired!!!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Ok, sorry to sound like a buffoon, but the story wasn't at the top of my page when I first clicked this thread for some reason. I also now see that this incident happened around Fed of '08. In case it happens to someone else and they can't view the story, here it is:

By Sgt. Jeffrey Kerns, News Media Director, Jamestown PD
Story forwarded to ColumbiaMagazine.com by Larry Smith, WHVE 92.7 FM

The Doughboy War Memorial statue in downtown Jamestown was destroyed after being struck by a 1995 Ford pickup driven by Danny R. Wilson, 49, of Somerset, KY.

Wilson was transported from the scene to the Russell County Hospital for overnight observation.

Wilson was charged with DUI.

The accident isoccurred at approximately 9:15pmCT, on Tuesday night, February 19, 2008.

The accident is being investigated by Lt. Tony King with assistance from JPD officers Jeremy England and Derek Polston.

The Doughboy War Memorial statue has ben a Jamestown landmark for more than 70 years.

It was dedicated on November 11, 1937, by the American Legion Post #133 and the monument lists, at its base, the names of Russell Countians killed while serving our country during past wars.
I know

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

It has been replaced :)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent West-Louisville Discussions

Search the West-Louisville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min DemocRATS 146,142
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 1 hr thispost1912 1,011
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 7 hr but now 81,566
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) Tue Ricky Noya 16,114
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) Tue JOE NASTY 26,182
Mayor announces plan to transform west Louisvil... Jul 14 eat m 17
best drag racer Jun '14 david 1
•••
•••
•••
West-Louisville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

West-Louisville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000