Did anyone see the Tornado?

Did anyone see the Tornado?

Posted in the West Liberty Forum

Randy

Nashville, TN

#1 May 9, 2012
Just curious if any of you actually saw the tornado (in person) and not on video? If so, how big was it and what did it sound like and how long did it take it to get through downtown?
mega millions

West Liberty, KY

#2 May 10, 2012
no,dumbazz,it just blew over top of our heads and nobody even knew it happened until we looked around and seen all the destruction.
hhhh

West Liberty, KY

#3 May 10, 2012
Saw it in person. It destroyed my house in less than 2 minutes. Very quickly.
Nobama 2012

Nashville, TN

#4 May 10, 2012
Sorry for all West Libertians. And I hope you can rebuild your town and your lives and get back to normalcy sooner than later. I saw videos of the twister on youtube and it was violent. One particular video showed the tornado, as a guy went downstairs to his basement. The twister was practically in his backyard and it was a massive, vicious storm. I don't know how wide the path was, but it had to be around 1/2 mile at least. And I'm guessing it was an F-4 in strength with winds at least of 200 mph. Can anyone verify the width and the F scale of the storm?
they said

Doniphan, MO

#5 May 10, 2012
One mile wide & winds of 165 mph
I DID

West Liberty, KY

#6 May 10, 2012
We were on the streets of West Liberty when it came barreling down the hill from the hospital. It was as big as the whole town, or at least looked like it was! Scariest thing I have ever seen in my life. We were in our vehicle and just went as fast as we could to get out of its way.
WOW

Nashville, TN

#7 May 10, 2012
I DID wrote:
We were on the streets of West Liberty when it came barreling down the hill from the hospital. It was as big as the whole town, or at least looked like it was! Scariest thing I have ever seen in my life. We were in our vehicle and just went as fast as we could to get out of its way.
WOW, I'm glad you're OK and that must have been the most scary thing a person could ever experience on this earth. I'm still amazed at how West Liberty took a direct hit. Out of all the acres of land in Kentucky, that thing zeroed in on one little town and wiped it out. I wish it would have hit in a rural area (no homes) etc, but at least there weren't mass casualites, because there sure could have been.

By the way, there is a video on youtube of the tornado. It's the video where the guy goes in his basement and keeps filming. You can see tailights from a vehicle directly in the path of the tornado. Do you know if that person or persons survived? I sure don't see how they could have.
Facts

Ezel, KY

#8 May 15, 2012
It all started in Menifee County this is how it was explained to me. There were two tornados an F-1 was already in Menifee and the F-2 wasn't far behind then the F-2 was much faster and it caught up with the other tornado,thus making it an F-3. When it struck opossum hollow it was a full blown F-3 and it caused major damage in meniffe then went on to west liberty still strong wicked and mighty. I hope west liberty folks will rebuild and stay strong.
Information

United States

#9 May 15, 2012
Well I was told that a meteroligist told the former home holders on Tabernacle Road in Morgan Co. that as it topped the hill there, the 2 tornadoes combined and turned into a F-4. Then it roared over the next ridge into Woodsbend. There is where 5 of the3 6 fatalities occurred in Morgan County. It then quietend down to a F-3. Probably many more lives would have been lost in Morgan Co. had it not lightened up!!! Just a miracle that more lives were not lost!!!!
Never forget it

West Liberty, KY

#10 May 16, 2012
I saw it. Electic went off, looked out the window and I expected to see a storm but what I saw was like nothing I had ever saw before. It was dropping off hospital hill and coming right towards town. It was huge, like a mile wide. You could see stuff spinning in it that it had already picked up. I just screamed and we ran to a bathroom. We slammed the door and the whole house started shaking. It was so loud it felt like your ears were gonna pop. I held my kids while they screamed and just prayed for God to save them, but I just beleived we were all gonna die. When it was over and I went out what I saw in town looked like a bomb had been set down in the middle of West Liberty. I can still see that tornado just like it was yesterday dropping off that hill and coming right for us.
SHARON WRIGHT

Chesterfield, MO

#11 May 17, 2012
I LIVED AT LIBERTY HEIGHTS APARTMENTS I SEEN IT TAKE DOWN FAMILY DOLLAR AND DOLLAR STORE THEN IT WAS THERE IN NO TIME IT FELT LIKE IT PICK OUR APARTMENT BUILDING UP AND SET US BACK DOWN IT WAS 2 TORNADO'S AND IT WAS A F3 GOING 147MP AND IT HIT THE HOSPITAL AT 5:47PM
trish

Chesterfield, MO

#12 May 28, 2012
What we saw was the wall cloud, but it was rotating. We live right before you get to hwy 589, and it was headed for our house, but, it moved to 589. It sounded like... well, it sounded like someone was blowing into a microphone. The big whoooooossshhh sound, you know? It was the scariest thing I have ever experienced.
John

West Liberty, KY

#13 May 30, 2012
Go to Todd Lambert's facebook page. He got some real good pictures of it as it went by his house.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jimmy Bailey 45 min Vernie 14
Amy jo wright 2 hr you buddie 1
Chiropractor 4 hr Fridnd 2
Chris Ballinger 4 hr Fridnd 4
electric bill (Feb '16) 4 hr Oayer 17
New coach at high school middle school position... 4 hr Time changer 2
McDonalds 4 hr CARE 5

West Liberty Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance