cowgirl up

West Liberty, KY

#1 Nov 20, 2008
Attacks on humans
Coyote attacks on humans are uncommon and rarely cause serious injuries, due to the relatively small size of the coyote. However, coyote attacks on humans have increased since 1998 in the state of California. Data from USDA Wildlife Services, the California Department of Fish & Game, and other sources show that while 41 attacks occurred during the period of 1988-1997, 48 attacks were verified from 1998 through 2003. The majority of these incidents occurred in Southern California near the suburban-wildland interface.[33]

Due to an absence of harassment by residents, urban coyotes lose their natural fear of humans, which is further worsened by people intentionally feeding coyotes. In such situations, some coyotes begin to act aggressively toward humans, chasing joggers and bicyclists, confronting people walking their dogs, and stalking small children.[33] Like wolves, non rabid coyotes usually target small children, mostly under the age of 10, though some adults have been bitten. Some attacks are serious enough to warrant 200 stitches.[34]

There is currently only one recorded fatal attack on a human. In 1981 in Glendale, California, a coyote attacked toddler Kelly Keen, who despite being rescued by her father, died in surgery due to blood loss and a broken neck.[35][33]
cowgirl up

West Liberty, KY

#2 Nov 20, 2008
Diet: Coyotes are carnivorous -- they eat primarily small mammals, such as eastern cottontail rabbits, thirteen-lined ground squirrels, and white-footed mice. They occasionally eat birds, snakes, large insects and other large invertebrates. Coyotes can live in a variety of areas since they will eat almost anything, including human trash and household pets.

Behavior: Coyotes are nocturnal predators, but can occasionally be seen during daylight hours. Coyotes are capable of running at speeds up to 65 km/hr and they can jump horizontal distances of up to 4 meters. Coyotes are less likely to form packs than are wolves, so they usually hunt individually, in pairs or small family groups.

Coyotes are resourceful. They are capable of digging their own burrows, but they often enlarge the burrows of woodchucks or badgers to use for their dens.

Reproduction: Coyotes mate between late January and March. Once the female chooses a partner, the animals may remain paired for a number of years. Gestation lasts from 60 to 63 days. Litter size ranges from 1 to 19 pups (the average litter size is 6 pups). They usually breed once each year. Coyotes can hybridize with domestic dogs and occasionally with gray wolves.
Rachel

West Liberty, KY

#3 Nov 20, 2008
My son wanted to shoot one last night that was lurking in our field. Thought it might be after a cow. We've got plenty of 'em around here.
cowgirl up

West Liberty, KY

#4 Nov 20, 2008
Interspecific hybridization

A Coyote-German Shepherd hybridCoyotes will sometimes mate with domestic dogs, usually in areas like Texas and Oklahoma where the coyotes are plentiful and the breeding season is extended because of the warm weather. The resulting hybrids called coydogs maintain the coyote's predatory nature, along with the dog's lack of timidity toward humans, making them a more serious threat to livestock than pure blooded animals. This cross breeding has the added effect of confusing the breeding cycle. Coyotes usually breed only once a year, while coydogs will breed year-round, producing many more pups than a wild coyote. Differences in the ears and tail are generally what can be used to distinguish coydogs from domestic/feral dogs or pure coyotes.[20]

Coyotes have also been known on occasion to mate with wolves though this is less common as with dogs due to the wolf's hostility to the coyote. The offspring, known as a coywolf, is generally intermediate in size to both parents, being larger than a pure coyote, but smaller than a pure wolf. A study showed that of 100 coyotes collected in Maine, 22 had half or more wolf ancestry, and one was 89 percent wolf. A theory has been proposed that the large eastern coyotes in Canada are actually hybrids of the smaller western coyotes and wolves that met and mated decades ago as the coyotes moved toward New England from their earlier western ranges.[16] The Red Wolf is thought by certain scientists to be in fact a wolf/coyote hybrid rather than a unique species. Strong evidence for hybridization was found through genetic testing which showed that red wolves have only 5% of their alleles unique from either grey wolves or coyotes. Genetic distance calculations have indicated that red wolves are intermediate between coyotes and grey wolves, and that they bear great similarity to wolf/coyote hybrids in southern Quebec and Minnesota. Analyses of mitochondrial DNA showed that existing Red Wolf populations are predominantly coyote in origin.[21]
bluetick

West Liberty, KY

#5 Nov 20, 2008
wow cowgirl up you have done the reserch or copy/paste but thanks for the info im still scared of them they sound so haunting
cowgirl up

West Liberty, KY

#6 Nov 20, 2008
bluetick wrote:
wow cowgirl up you have done the reserch or copy/paste but thanks for the info im still scared of them they sound so haunting
thanks, and yes they do sound haunting, i would't want to be in the woods at night, by my self, lol.
hotbod

Tremont, PA

#7 Dec 4, 2008
son i tell ya what i have had one walk right up on me b4 when i was hunting and i shot it in the face... they all shoud die
ITS ONLY ME

Booneville, KY

#8 Dec 4, 2008
hotbod wrote:
son i tell ya what i have had one walk right up on me b4 when i was hunting and i shot it in the face... they all shoud die
i agree because i don't even like them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlene Adkins murdered husband 26 min cj 8
Is she back 58 min Bark master 1
tasha cantrell (Jun '16) 1 hr Pig Vomit 73
Let no man deceive you 8 hr Bank Loan 10
Michael "whitey" Adkins Sat Sara 1
Morgan Co Dec 15 wxz 4
west liberty save a lot Dec 13 really 1

West Liberty Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance