First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Dec 12

Chesterfield, MO

#1 Dec 28, 2012
I've heard the majority of the current board members voted to let the superintendent keep her present salary and work 20 days less. It's being said this was done before the new board takes over in a few days. Wouldn't this be the same as a pay raise?

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#2 Dec 28, 2012
This is BETTER than a pay raise! Same pay less work, lol, sounds as though O'BOZO got to our BoE too. The PotUS just lifted the pay freeze on all federal employees and guess what, they got a raise too, imagine that.
Bunny Rabbit

Chesterfield, MO

#3 Dec 28, 2012
Some of you yahoos are forgetting that the previous superintendent was making $106,000 when he retired. When Barnett took the job, she took a huge cut in pay. Best I can remember her starting salary was somewhere near $80,000 and is nowhere near JDG's huge salary now. Can't understand why nobody griped at his huge salary and he did basically nothing for the school system and Barnett is making 20k+ less doing much more than he ever did and everyone wants to grip about a pay raise for her. Get a clue people! Look at the surrounding superintendent salaries... most are in the $110,000 range. Give her the raise and quit bitching!!! She's doing a great job and deserves it.

Location hidden

#4 Dec 29, 2012
If she is so great why is Morgan Co High School's percentages so low?

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-sch...

Shouldn't a raise be contingent upon performance? Our students test scores are her, and the teachers, performance indicators. If you look at our childrens test scores you'll see that they suck! I only gripe about a pay raise when the performance behind it does not constitute one. And YES, I did plenty of gripeing about JDG and his "DO NOTHING" policies. If you look at some of the other KY schools test scores you'll see that their Superintendent probably doesn't deserve their pay grade either if you base it on performance, so to try to compare Morgan Co's Superintendets pay to someone else's in the state is somewhat misleading, how about comparing Barnett's pay scale to one of the top 20 rated schools superintendent's then you'll get the picture.
Bunny Rabbit

Chesterfield, MO

#5 Dec 30, 2012
How many classes does Barnett teach? Some of these kids could care less what kind of test score they have. Half of them won't go to college and don't care. How can you blame the superintendent for this? Do you want her to get a big stick and stand over every teacher and student? Put the blame where it belongs... on these lazy dope head/alcoholic parents who don't make their kids mind at home let alone at school. Social/educational habits are taught at home.. or at least they used to be. If you ever took time to notice, the top test scores are coming from communities that have a higher social standard than Morgan's backwoods bunch...and tbh, in some cases, schools cheat to get high scores. Teachers have to put up with unruly kids AND their ignorant parents and are prevented by law to "make" these kids behave. TBH, we're lucky more teachers are quitting and going into another line of work where they don't have to put up with this nonsense. If you want higher test scores, get off your lazy butt and from behind your compute and get in the classroom. I'm quite sure you'll see just what a monumental challenge it is to educate some of these kids.

Location hidden

#6 Dec 30, 2012
Bunny Rabbit wrote:
How many classes does Barnett teach? Some of these kids could care less what kind of test score they have. Half of them won't go to college and don't care. How can you blame the superintendent for this? Do you want her to get a big stick and stand over every teacher and student? Put the blame where it belongs... on these lazy dope head/alcoholic parents who don't make their kids mind at home let alone at school. Social/educational habits are taught at home.. or at least they used to be. If you ever took time to notice, the top test scores are coming from communities that have a higher social standard than Morgan's backwoods bunch...and tbh, in some cases, schools cheat to get high scores. Teachers have to put up with unruly kids AND their ignorant parents and are prevented by law to "make" these kids behave. TBH, we're lucky more teachers are quitting and going into another line of work where they don't have to put up with this nonsense. If you want higher test scores, get off your lazy butt and from behind your compute and get in the classroom. I'm quite sure you'll see just what a monumental challenge it is to educate some of these kids.
As to your point that "Half of them won't go to college" if you look at the test scores on the website I cited, only 11% of the graduating seniors are prepard for college.....and thats the parents fault? Anyway, Superintendents and Teachers should be held accountable for the education THEY are suppose to be providing. If I'm not teaching my child manners, social skills, etc., at home then hold me accountable for that, but not for what their teacher is or isn't doing. The public school system is infected with bad Super's, bad teacher's, outdated and incorrect textbooks and unruly, do nothing students who only attend school to socialize because they know when they graduate an all providing Uncle Sam will be there to make sure they're clothed, housed and fed. And for your information, my wife and I get off our lazy butts everyday and make sure our child is doing what she is suppose to do. Her principal has told us that she NEEDS her test scores so the schools overall score is sure to be at its premium, thats because we teach her at home also....its called parenting.
the reason

Chesterfield, MO

#7 Dec 30, 2012
The reason that they aren't learning is not all the school's fault. How many of you have ever spent time and I mean real time in a classroom? Very few of you. Before you bitch about the teachers and staff, spend some time volunteering in the schools. Yes, I know some of you work. IT has been my experience those that work don't complain near as much as those that don't.LOL
Society is not holding parents responsible for thier actions much less thier children's actions. Social skills start at home.
As far as your sup, I don't like her, I didn't like her when she was the assistant sup in Wolfe County, She is just as bad as Butcher that she worked under.
Well

Chesterfield, MO

#8 Jan 3, 2013
The teachers are more worried about the break room, and it is the Sup job to see that the kids are learning and if they are not she should find out why instead of worrying about a big pay raise. And it evidently must not be all the parents fault because some of the teachers kids are the worse ones!!!! The people should be able to vote them in just like any other political job, and it is all about politics.
mel

West Liberty, KY

#9 Jan 4, 2013
Bunny Rabbit wrote:
Is anyone else sick and tired of Let Us Reason Together?? He/she always has the solution to every problem, and have the best analytical skills of anyone I have ever encountered. I went to school with Deatrah Nickell Barnett, and I feel she is doing a great job. This school system was left in a mess. All JDG knew was how to kiss ass and that's how he kept enriching himself at the public coffers. At least Deatrah is not doing that, and I do not think she can be accused of ass kissing either. She faces a constant uphill battle with the good ol' boys here, not to mention a school system that is broke, with the majority of families living below the poverty level. Add to that the social and familial problems brought about by the epidemic pill epidemic, leading to NO UPBRINGING AT HOME, and you have a disaster. Walton Jones controlled this county's schools for decades, and even managed to continue that control following his death through his family and cronies. Undoing a system like that is in itself a monumental task. For those who dislike Deatrah, that is your right. No one likes everyone. But, I think she tries, and she tries hard. Many of her teachers and staff are just there for the check. Try working with people like that, adding kids who do not give a rip, and you will end up with low test scores. Jealousy over her relatively modest salary (compared to other superintendents) is an ugly thing.

Location hidden

#10 Jan 4, 2013
mel wrote:
<quoted text>Is anyone else sick and tired of Let Us Reason Together?? He/she always has the solution to every problem, and have the best analytical skills of anyone I have ever encountered. I went to school with Deatrah Nickell Barnett, and I feel she is doing a great job. This school system was left in a mess. All JDG knew was how to kiss ass and that's how he kept enriching himself at the public coffers. At least Deatrah is not doing that, and I do not think she can be accused of ass kissing either. She faces a constant uphill battle with the good ol' boys here, not to mention a school system that is broke, with the majority of families living below the poverty level. Add to that the social and familial problems brought about by the epidemic pill epidemic, leading to NO UPBRINGING AT HOME, and you have a disaster. Walton Jones controlled this county's schools for decades, and even managed to continue that control following his death through his family and cronies. Undoing a system like that is in itself a monumental task. For those who dislike Deatrah, that is your right. No one likes everyone. But, I think she tries, and she tries hard. Many of her teachers and staff are just there for the check. Try working with people like that, adding kids who do not give a rip, and you will end up with low test scores. Jealousy over her relatively modest salary (compared to other superintendents) is an ugly thing.
Well Mel, somebody better be putting forth some kind of solutions because they ain't coming from you! I don't care who Deatrah Nickell Barnett is personally, I'm only concerned with her ability to function as the Superintendent of our school system and what she is doing to bring our kids up to speed with the rest of the country. And don't say that because you're born poor that you're also born stupid or I guess the PC term would be "Educationally Challenged". Also, a raise in salary for anybody in any job skill should be performance based, not merely because your predecessor made more than you or only because a few of your buddies on the board thinks you need it. Yes there is a PILL EPIDEMIC in Morgan Co., but thats the City Police, State Police and Sheriffs job to eradicate, the definition of a teacher is as follows;

teach·er
[tee-cher]

noun
a person who teaches or instructs, especially as a profession; instructor.

And a superintendent is;

su·per·in·tend·ent
[soo-per-in-ten-duh&#8201; nt, soo-prin-] Show IPA

noun
a person who oversees or directs some work, enterprise, establishment, organization, district, etc.; supervisor.

a person who is in charge of maintenance and repairs of an apartment house; custodian.

a high-ranking police officer, especially a chief of police or an officer ranking next above an inspector.

So as long as these two job descriptions stay as stated the people holding these jobs should be held accountable and recognized for what they do. Now if neither can do their job effectively then why don't they go somewhere that they can be effective? Blaming everybody else that had the position before Deatrah doesn't mean she can't change the landscape instead of conforming to it. Accountability is the "Demon on the Back" of any public servant it seems to me.

Also, don't try to demonize me for being concerned and saying what I think....who do you think you are, the O'BOZO Media conglomerate?
Always Use Protection

Chesterfield, MO

#11 Jan 4, 2013
Let Us Reason Together must be one of Joe Dan's former supporters who has been trying to oust Barnett ever since she took over... and yes, I know who you guys are too.
mel

West Liberty, KY

#12 Jan 4, 2013
Always Use Protection wrote:
Let Us Reason Together must be one of Joe Dan's former supporters who has been trying to oust Barnett ever since she took over... and yes, I know who you guys are too.
Thank you for a profoundly true statement! Let Us Reason needs counseling, I think. Obviously an angry person, probably sexually frustrated also.

Location hidden

#13 Jan 4, 2013
Always Use Protection wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but JDG was worthless, and I don't want to oust DNB either. I just want her to do the best job possible for our kids.

Location hidden

#14 Jan 4, 2013
mel wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for a profoundly true statement! Let Us Reason needs counseling, I think. Obviously an angry person, probably sexually frustrated also.
You apparently now what neither the word "Profoundly" or "True" means which leads me to believe that you are willing to let anything pass under your nose as long as it doesn't stink to badly, now thats a Profoundly True statement. This is another reason education needs to be made profoundly stronger in the Morgan Co school system. And just so ya know I am probably one of the least angry people you would ever have the pleasure of meeting, and as far as the frustrated part goes, my 15 yr younger wife may have something to say about that.
Muncie

Chesterfield, MO

#15 Jan 5, 2013
It would be interesting to watch this know-it-all aka Let us Reason Together be superintendent for one day. No doubt his/her perspective of the job would be altered considerably when faced with the issues in a 'typical' school system.

Location hidden

#16 Jan 5, 2013
The role and responsibilities of public school superintendents vary from public school to public school and from state to state. In general though, public school superintendents are responsible for the successful management of the school district and are expected to provide leadership related to the vision set forth by the Board of Education. They meet these responsibilities by working closely with the Board of Education to:
1) define the district's budget,
2) provide educational leadership related to the curriculum,
3) ensure personnel are qualified and receive routine supervision,
4) maintain the quality of district properties and 5) ensure positive community relations.

The responsibilities of the public school superintendent related to the Board of Education include:
1)attendance and participation at all school board meetings,
2)advising the Board on the programs, practices and challenges of the district,
3)ensuring implementation of school policies and recommending revisions as appropriate,
4)preparing data driven reports which identify the successes and challenges of the district,
5)recommending public school district goals,
6)monitoring progress toward goal attainment and supporting long-range planning.

Now, here is a general outline of what is expected of a School Superintendent as related to the district and the second is as related to the school board. If you don't or can't understand why our district isn't in the top 25 scores of KY, much less the country, then here is why....If you look at the test scores on the districts report card; http://applications.education.ky.gov/SRC/Prof... , you'll notice they decrease over time which signifies that the teachers may be doing their job but are pushing students through who are NOT academically ready for college. I believe the actual percentage of college ready students graduating from MCHS is around 11.8%, so about 88.2% of the kids who graduate MCHS are NOT ready to go to college, academically speaking, and that translates into kids getting school loans who will probably not even finish college but will still owe a crap load of money when they have to quit or flunk out putting an undue burden on parents who have signed for these loans. So if this is acceptable to you then just keep quiet and sit on your couches while others, like myself, choose to educate ourselves as to why our kids, mine and yours, are not getting the education needed to succeed in an already oppressive world, or you can choose to stop being an armchair quarterback and get in the game.
mel

West Liberty, KY

#17 Jan 5, 2013
Let us Reason Together wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently now what neither the word "Profoundly" or "True" means which leads me to believe that you are willing to let anything pass under your nose as long as it doesn't stink to badly, now thats a Profoundly True statement. This is another reason education needs to be made profoundly stronger in the Morgan Co school system. And just so ya know I am probably one of the least angry people you would ever have the pleasure of meeting, and as far as the frustrated part goes, my 15 yr younger wife may have something to say about that.
Hey Einstein, I believe you spell know as k-n-o-w, not "now," and "to badly" should be "too," you illiterate, self-righteous, think-you're-so-educated moron. It's clear you do not know grammar. Didn't you graduate from 6th grade Jethro? Oh, and your fat, ugly younger wife has my sympathies for having to put up with a dick like you. Have a nice day!
Mouse

Chesterfield, MO

#18 Jan 5, 2013
Let Us Reason Together couldn't carry Barnett's jockstrap.

Location hidden

#19 Jan 5, 2013
mel wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Einstein, I believe you spell know as k-n-o-w, not "now," and "to badly" should be "too," you illiterate, self-righteous, think-you're-so-educated moron. It's clear you do not know grammar. Didn't you graduate from 6th grade Jethro? Oh, and your fat, ugly younger wife has my sympathies for having to put up with a dick like you. Have a nice day!
As usual, people like you can't join a conversation with any sort of intelligence much less being able to make an argument for your pinheaded point of view. If all you can do is find a couple of spelling errors (not grammatical by the way) and regurgitate your ignorance all over the internet, its no wonder your kids are in the 88.2% of the MCHS classmates because thats as high of a level of education you can can help them to aspire too. How pathetic, someone taking an interest in your childrens education and all you can do is try your best to shoot them down so your children will stay as dumb and ignorant as you must be. This county needs better parents than you to make any sort of a difference for our students education. You are a prime example of ALL that is wrong with this county and country....You're probably one of the O'BOTS that when you can't argue your point you resort to name calling and stupidity that is only surpassed by a googol. What a dolt your children and wife must have to endure...you're just sad and pathetic.

Location hidden

#20 Jan 5, 2013
Mouse wrote:
Let Us Reason Together couldn't carry Barnett's jockstrap.
Maybe in your cross-dressing world of glamour boys Barnett would wear a jockstrap, but since SHE is a woman I don't believe she has one to carry, so go play with Mel in your illiterate world of "Thick as a Brick" and hope nobody ever asks you how your kids got so smart....Dolt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does anyone know what happened to Becky Lewis ... 7 hr Mikes x 10
convicted felons in the workforce 7 hr Judge Judy 4
Bellamy Apartments 9 hr Renter 3
Tell me 15 hr Who 2
Billy Ferguson (Mar '15) Sun jazzy123_4 23
What's going on at the Boys Camp? Sun reverend adkins 7
Child Abusers Near You! See Woodsbend Boys Camp Sun reverend adkins 12

West Liberty Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance