Devil's Den Waterfall
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Between Lost and Found

Broken Arrow, OK

#1 Jul 14, 2010
Can anyone tell me how to get to a place called Devil's Den? I'm looking for a waterfall with a natural bridge over it.
david

Calhoun, KY

#2 Sep 13, 2010
Just head to a small town called Peoli in Gurnsey County Ohio (Burial place of the famous Cy Young baseball pitching great). Ask around and you'll be there in less than 15 minutes...if it's still operating.

Devil's Den was a park back in the 50's and 60's. I visited there many times with my parents on Sundays along with other locals and their families. It was a small remote park with picnic tables, grilling areas, mowed grounds, and a very small lake to fish in. The main attraction was the Devil's Den itself. A short stroll below the lake through the nearby hollow took you to the base of a rocky cliff area where the erosion over time notched a cavernous recess that cut back into the hillside several yards and it was rumored indians held meetings there in the protected and dry confines of this hollowed out spot. The horseshoe shaped cliff that made up the waterfall was the by-product of the lake above as its run-off represented the amount of flow and falls.

In the early 70's Devil's Den was purchased and used as a retreat (nudist colony). There were small camping areas for those who visited and participated. Occationally (and I witnessed this myself on a Saturday afternoon one summer) nudists would leave the park and ride bicycles through the countryside and to the nearby town of Peoli to buy items from the local country store. I was in the store that day and a couple on a bicycle-built-for-two stopped and visited the store. The propriator, my father, and I were the only people in the store at the time. We watched with curiosity and slight embarassment while the couple broused the store, bought some candy, then left without saying anything more than they were from the nudist colony at Devil's Den on a visit from Las Vegas.

A small group of young teens nearby watched the couple ride away and said the favorite phrase about the nudist camp was....Devil's Den and what a tan.
Happy hunting at the den.
alc

Dover, OH

#3 Sep 15, 2010
I do believe it is closed.
Country girl

New Philadelphia, OH

#4 Sep 16, 2010
Devils Den is now owned by the Bair Family. It has been closed to the public for years. While growing up I was good friends with the girl who's parents ran Devils Den and remember having so much fun out there when I stayed overnight! And to the second poster.....Peoli is not in Guernsey County,it is Tuscarawas County. I grew up a few miles from Peoli but never saw anything of the nudist on bicycles but did hear stories about them inside the park.....lots of kids tried to sneak a peek out there though!! Good memories from the country.
fred reed

United States

#5 Sep 19, 2010
I heard this property is now owned by the federal government and is totally fenced in . Rumor has it that its going to be used as a creamatory in case of a mass die off or kill off.
Robert Blocher

Ooltewah, TN

#6 Mar 6, 2012
My Step Grandfather (Charles Sanders) owned Devils Den in the early 60's and lived in a home at the entrance. Can't remember who he sold it to but do remember going there for our family reunions.
BearGirl

Birmingham, MI

#7 Apr 25, 2012
Country girl wrote:
Devils Den is now owned by the Bair Family. It has been closed to the public for years. While growing up I was good friends with the girl who's parents ran Devils Den and remember having so much fun out there when I stayed overnight! And to the second poster.....Peoli is not in Guernsey County,it is Tuscarawas County. I grew up a few miles from Peoli but never saw anything of the nudist on bicycles but did hear stories about them inside the park.....lots of kids tried to sneak a peek out there though!! Good memories from the country.
Jeff Bair bought the Park from the nudists for his family. We had Bear/Bair Family reunions there until the 90's. Jeff and his family were spedning more time at their other home in SW Ohio. They had a caretaker who mowed the grass and took care of Devil's Den for them. I would like to find out where Jeff and his family are now. All of the older parents have died and it would be nice to reunite the younger ones. Thanks!
Camping man

Elmhurst, IL

#9 Jul 21, 2012
I remember camping there when I was a little boy. Anyone remember the directions from Peoli to the old park entrance?
Brian

Canton, OH

#10 Jul 24, 2012
Robert Blocher wrote:
My Step Grandfather (Charles Sanders) owned Devils Den in the early 60's and lived in a home at the entrance. Can't remember who he sold it to but do remember going there for our family reunions.
The people he sold it to was the shmitals Bob his wife, son Robbie and Mary. I think he was a banker from Akron
ray horner

Elkhart, IN

#11 Oct 11, 2012
where is it exactly? not where it is near, but how to get there?

ray
Patti

Broken Arrow, OK

#12 Mar 29, 2013
Thank You to everyone that posted here. I've been trying to find information on this place for years. My son's great-grandfather used to own it, and I'd been there a couple of times back in the mid-70's. In my research today, I came across a photograph that my former mother-in-law showed me a copy of when I lived there. Here is a link, if anyone else is interested in seeing it...

http://cdm16007.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/ajax...
Patti

Broken Arrow, OK

#13 Mar 31, 2013
Robert Blocher wrote:
Was Ella Mae your grandmother?
Alexis20155

United States

#14 May 31, 2013
Between Lost and Found wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to get to a place called Devil's Den? I'm looking for a waterfall with a natural bridge over it.
I used to live near a place like that i got lost in the back woods of it when i was five and some lady named Sarah helped me back ten years later i found a cemetery real close by there and found a headstone of a woman name sarah she was apparently drowned by her father when she shad a child out of wedlock in the 1930's
Rijell

Akron, OH

#15 Jul 13, 2013
Devils den is not a federal area controlled by a female Native American for wildlife rescue.
Rijell

Akron, OH

#16 Jul 13, 2013
Sorry. Devils Den IS a federal area controlled by a female Native American for wildlife rescue.
Crystal

Northfield, OH

#17 Jul 23, 2013
So, does anyone know if you can access it? OR have any further information on it?
Robert Blocher

Macomb, MI

#18 Aug 27, 2013
Patti wrote:
<quoted text>
Was Ella Mae your grandmother?
Yes Ella was my grandmother.
steve tyson

Canton, OH

#19 Mar 10, 2014
BearGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeff Bair bought the Park from the nudists for his family. We had Bear/Bair Family reunions there until the 90's. Jeff and his family were spedning more time at their other home in SW Ohio. They had a caretaker who mowed the grass and took care of Devil's Den for them. I would like to find out where Jeff and his family are now. All of the older parents have died and it would be nice to reunite the younger ones. Thanks!

Jeff's family is still in the New Philadelphia area, Andrea Bair is married to my son and living in New Phila. The family still has possession of the park and in fact the home was once the store in the park.
arbair

United States

#20 Nov 13, 2014
BearGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey BearGirl. My name is Adam Bair, the youngest son of Jeff. We still own the property and my brother lives there. I'm in Texas now but frequent often. I'd love to reconnect.
arbair

San Antonio, TX

#21 Nov 13, 2014
Patti wrote:
Thank You to everyone that posted here. I've been trying to find information on this place for years. My son's great-grandfather used to own it, and I'd been there a couple of times back in the mid-70's. In my research today, I came across a photograph that my former mother-in-law showed me a copy of when I lived there. Here is a link, if anyone else is interested in seeing it...
http://cdm16007.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/ajax...
It's a couple years late but here is a recent photo taken August 2014. My family still owns the property. It's great to hear all the lasting memories and the love for a beautiful place.
http://bit.ly/DevilsDenPark

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Lafayette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Home Jun 12 Ruby bell 1
Louie or Carrie Goff Apr '16 Curious 1
lena Wilson Apr '16 i think 1
News Self-proclaimed 'troublemaker' finds niche in U... (Nov '08) Jan '16 Dannette 2
News Ohio Supreme Court won't hear appeal over veter... Jan '16 Big Johnson 2
News Top things to do this weekend, Oct. 16-16 (Oct '15) Oct '15 Jose 3
News Former Ohio Guardsman Fights To Keep Pet Ducks ... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Duke for Mayor 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Lafayette Mortgages