Tropical forests thrived in ancient global warming

Nov 12, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: New Scientist

South America's tropical forests flourished when temperatures skyrocketed 56 million years ago.

Comments
1 - 20 of 29 Comments Last updated Nov 19, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#1 Nov 12, 2010
Don't tell alarmists, it will upset them.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#2 Nov 12, 2010
So the trees will do well. Great news!

#3 Nov 13, 2010
Nature wins, every time.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orangeville, Canada

#4 Nov 13, 2010
Earthling-1 wrote:
Nature wins, every time.
Except when we meddle. But even then, nature is winning since we ARE part of nature..

#5 Nov 13, 2010
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Except when we meddle. But even then, nature is winning since we ARE part of nature..
I'm happy you admit I've been right about that all along.
All you have to do now, is accept that forty hasn't been spelt with a U for at least 200 years.
Are you ready to accept that fact, or is it necessary for me to continue making you look foolish?
LessHypeMoreFact

Orangeville, Canada

#6 Nov 13, 2010
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>I'm happy you admit I've been right about that all along.
There is a first time for everything and I look forward to your first effort at being 'right' instead of being 'permanently ignorant', immature and irresponsible.

#7 Nov 14, 2010
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
There is a first time for everything and I look forward to your first effort at being 'right' instead of being 'permanently ignorant', immature and irresponsible.
ROFLMAO.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
In case you need a refresher course, your country has only two parties. Republicans and Democrats.
Anything else I can help you with?
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
The majority of LARGE offshore windmills are made by Enercon which has been gearless for quite some time.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Deforestations is a consequence of AGW,....
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Alberta is not my country
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
With calving you don't get more than a small difference in the endpoint. You don't 'calve' a chunk of ice 2.7 square miles in extent.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Predictions are for astrologers
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Most fruiting plants are [polinated] because those are the ones that have food values and thus something to give the bee an incentive to polinate. Weeds rarely have benefit to the bees.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
the equator doesn't HAVE season.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
I have no interest in reading the emails and data. Out of ALL that, there are only about three real 'zingers' which, on careful reading, don't really say what the clueless claim.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Western Europe was. But there is NO good evidence that Greenland was warmer. Note that the vikings were ADAPTED to 'nordic temperatures' and wouldn't know how to live in a melting Greenland.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
According to YOUR theory, no car can be charged with hitting a pedestrian unless the pedestrian is already dead or too crippled to move.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
This occurred when land life was limited to insects and plants so there were no species TO drive to extinction.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Scientific laws are NOT science.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
We have never charged for CO2 emissions
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Even [epystimologists] cannot say that their dictionaries are accurate.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
I am sure it has been correctly spelled that way in America where it was 'revised' by Mr. Webster for Americans. However, it was spelled correctly as "fourty" in 1960's Ontario, distinguishing the 'British' spelling of 'fourty' from the American corruption of 'forty'. No logic for the 'irregular' US spelling has ever been put forward.
Lee

South Whitley, IN

#8 Nov 14, 2010
Well, thirty years ago the media was crying we were going into a freeze, now we are being told we are going into a warming.

Fact remains the pacific ocean releases more 'greenhouse' gases, mostly methane, in a day than the US releases in five years. But mankind, being the arrogant cuss he is, would rather believe that he is capable of being responsible.

Here is the equation I've yet to see explained away...

Heat + CO2 = plant growth.
&#948;Heat + &#948;CO2 = &#948;plant growth.

I haven't seen any change in the plant growth in my half century on the planet. Have you?
LessHypeMoreFact

Orangeville, Canada

#9 Nov 14, 2010
Lee wrote:
Well, thirty years ago the media was crying we were going into a freeze, now we are being told we are going into a warming.
False.
http://news.discovery.com/earth/climate-myths...

"Myth: In the 1970s, scientists were warning about a new Ice Age, so why should we trust them now?"

"Fact: A 2008 study demonstrated categorically that the "global cooling consensus" is a myth. Of 71 scientific studies of future climate that they found in the peer-reviewed literature between 1965 and 1979, 20 were neutral and 44 predicted greater warming. Just seven predicted a new era of cooling."
Lee wrote:
Fact remains the pacific ocean releases more 'greenhouse' gases, mostly methane, in a day than the US releases in five years.
There are exchanges with the ocean in 'equilibrium'. That is the number of molecules released is equal to the number captured for no NET change. A meaningless statistic as it DOES NOT CHANGE Atmsopheric LEVELS.
Lee wrote:
But mankind, being the arrogant cuss he is, would rather believe that he is capable of being responsible.
Actually he tried VERY hard to believe he was too puny and insignificant and besides he stayed home that night.. but the facts are just too solid to ignore.
Lee wrote:
Here is the equation I've yet to see explained away...
Heat + CO2 = plant growth.
&#948;Heat + &#948;CO2 = &#948;plant growth.
Heat and CO2 can improve plant growth but AGW is also accompanied by increasing heat stress and drought. So no net gain. In fact, the latest research shows a net loss.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/pla...
Lee wrote:
I haven't seen any change in the plant growth in my half century on the planet. Have you?
Were you looking or even measuring the global NPP? Did you even notice the changes in the US southwest from grassland to desert brushland? Or in Alaska? Just how much 'research' did you do?

#10 Nov 15, 2010
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
False.
So is your theory about how 40 is spelt, so why don't you either produce evidence for your way of spelling it, or give in gracefully and admit you made a mistake, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty?
Lee

South Whitley, IN

#11 Nov 15, 2010
Interesting, I suppose the dustbowl of twenties was global warming as well? Medieval warming period from all the CO2 from charcoal fired forges? The encroachment of the Sahara since biblical times? I suppose the current drought in the midwest USA is in no way shape or form related to the drought in the 1890's or for that matter the real drought of the upper dryus period. I've been lied to by experts, Al Gore's junk science doesn't even make the first cut.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orangeville, Canada

#12 Nov 15, 2010
Lee wrote:
Interesting, I suppose the dustbowl of twenties was global warming as well?
Generally the dust bowl was from overtilling of the soil in a very marginal rainfall region. It may have been assisted by the warming assoiciated with the 200 year solar cycle (one of the elements of AGW theory).
Lee wrote:
Medieval warming period from all the CO2 from charcoal fired forges?
The MWP was noted in western Europe which is unusually warm due ot hte 'standing wave' of air going over the rockies, down to the Caribean and then back up to higher latitudes around England. It does not take all that much to shift it around a bit and get more (the MWP) or less(the LIA) warming in England.
Lee wrote:
The encroachment of the Sahara since biblical times?
Nothing to do with AGW. It is a long term climate change. They existence of long term climate change does not in any way affect the short term climate changes made by man. It is not a 'mutually exclusive' logic.
Lee wrote:
I suppose the current drought in the midwest USA is in no way shape or form related to the drought in the 1890's or for that matter the real drought of the upper dryus period. I've been lied to by experts, Al Gore's junk science doesn't even make the first cut.
You really ought to research a few of these issues yourself so that you don't get so confused over them. Then you might understand the science a bit better (regardless of your opinion of Al Gores documentary).
neighbour

High River, Canada

#13 Nov 15, 2010
Lee wrote:
Interesting, I suppose the dustbowl of twenties was global warming as well? Medieval warming period from all the CO2 from charcoal fired forges? The encroachment of the Sahara since biblical times? I suppose the current drought in the midwest USA is in no way shape or form related to the drought in the 1890's or for that matter the real drought of the upper dryus period. I've been lied to by experts, Al Gore's junk science doesn't even make the first cut.
There can be more than one cause of drought, just like for most events. But the North American prairies are subject to periodic drought cycles, and some of them make the dirty 30's dustbowl look tame. The evidence is in geological deposits of windblown sand.

But... climate change will likely worsen droughts in the prairies, maybe even cause them, although it will be impossible to pin a specific drought on global warming as the cause.

The real signature of serious global climate change will not be drought, storm, fire, flood etc in one region. It will be a simultaneous change from normal climates, happening in many places. It's beginning to happen now, and will get more obvious in coming decades.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#14 Nov 16, 2010
Lee wrote:
1) Yes, the 1930s dustbowl was caused by warmth; 1934 was the warmest year ever recorded in that particular region. The resulting drought was devastating.

2) With your rants about Al Gore and the "upper dryus" it's clear that you don't give a rip about the science, except to grasp at straws and rationalize your political views.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orangeville, Canada

#15 Nov 16, 2010
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Yes, the 1930s dustbowl was caused by warmth; 1934 was the warmest year ever recorded in that particular region. The resulting drought was devastating.
I think you may have the cart drawing the horse. The dust bowl days were hot BECAUSE of the drought (less evaporation and transpiration of water to moderate climate). The evidence for this can be found by comparing the temperature anomaly in the praries with temperature anomalies around the coast or great lakes.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#16 Nov 16, 2010
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you may have the cart drawing the horse. The dust bowl days were hot BECAUSE of the drought (less evaporation and transpiration of water to moderate climate). The evidence for this can be found by comparing the temperature anomaly in the praries with temperature anomalies around the coast or great lakes.
Thanks! I've learned something new today. Here's a page that describes the effect:

http://www.intellicast.com/Community/Content....

#17 Nov 17, 2010
Northie wrote:
I've learned something new today.
But you still have a lot more to learn.
Lee

South Whitley, IN

#18 Nov 17, 2010
Oh, I've studied the science. I understand science enough to know manmade global warming is just theory. The 'hockey stick' model doesn't fit the anomalies. While your explanation of the medieval warming may or may not be spot on, it does nothing to explain where the excess heat came from. I work on the basis of proof not faith. Instead of pounding your pulpit, show your proof. I consider theories, I use many in my work as a matter of fact. I do not take theory as fact. That is far too great a leap of faith.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#19 Nov 17, 2010
Lee wrote:
Oh, I've studied the science. I understand science enough to know manmade global warming is just theory. The 'hockey stick' model doesn't fit the anomalies. While your explanation of the medieval warming may or may not be spot on, it does nothing to explain where the excess heat came from. I work on the basis of proof not faith. Instead of pounding your pulpit, show your proof. I consider theories, I use many in my work as a matter of fact. I do not take theory as fact. That is far too great a leap of faith.
Science doesn't provide proof; only probabilities.

More to the point, no, you have not "studied the science". You have merely skimmed lightly around a few edges, and with a political bias clouding your view, no less.

#20 Nov 17, 2010
Northie wrote:
More to the point, no, you have not "studied the science".
No one here has studied all the sciences involved in climate change and not one climate scientist has either.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Lafayette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Indiana officer to keep job after pushing over ... Thu Fight back on bad... 3
SCREWED BY SIA/CTI? Let's talk!! Aug 26 Hoorah 2
New ISP troopers hit the road Aug 20 Idealist101 1
CPS steal kids test pesticides on them Aug 14 Ms Longstreet 1
Review: Vincent M Guido - Dentist Aug 11 samigambler 2
Large Yard Sale - Inside and Out Aug 6 Becky 1
Large Yard Sale - Inside and Out Aug 6 Becky 1
•••
•••
West Lafayette Dating