International Baccalaureate program

Posted in the West Islip Forum

First Prev
of 21
Next Last
Glenn A M

Bronx, NY

#1 May 30, 2010
Does anyone have any info on this IB program that the district appears to be so proud of? I for one am very leery when I see the word "international", particularly something as important as the education my kids will get in our district.
The districts web site says, "The curriculum and pedagogy of IB programs focus on international perspectives of learning and teaching..."
"International perspectives"? What about AMERICAN perspectives? I don't think indoctrinating our kids into U.N. inspired globalism should be acceptable to any of us.
Bernadette Burns, who is the assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction with the West Islip School District, said, "We live in an interconnected, globalized world that requires critical-thinking skills and a sense of international-mindedness, something that students in the IB Diploma Program learn to know and understand." http://www.westisliptribune.com/links/news/ne...
Sounds like brainwashing our kids into some kind of U.N., America hating cult if you ask me. I'd rather our local, AMERICAN, school district teach our kids about have an American centered thought process first. Never mind the globalist, Marxist, mumbo jumbo U.N. bullcrap.
She also has neglected to give we the taxpayers a dollar amount spent so far on this.
This program is not as prestigious or benign as our district is making it out to be. I've been doing some research on it and it is downright frightening the costs associated with the program in dollars as well as the indoctrination of our kids into beliefs that may be diametrically opposed to ones that you have been teaching them their whole lives.
Go to http://truthaboutib.com/
Lost

West Islip, NY

#2 May 30, 2010
You lost the election get a grip and go to meeting's and ask your 3 friends. Mike,Glen,Kathy
Glenn A M wrote:
Does anyone have any info on this IB program that the district appears to be so proud of? I for one am very leery when I see the word "international", particularly something as important as the education my kids will get in our district.
The districts web site says, "The curriculum and pedagogy of IB programs focus on international perspectives of learning and teaching..."
"International perspectives"? What about AMERICAN perspectives? I don't think indoctrinating our kids into U.N. inspired globalism should be acceptable to any of us.
Bernadette Burns, who is the assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction with the West Islip School District, said, "We live in an interconnected, globalized world that requires critical-thinking skills and a sense of international-mindedness, something that students in the IB Diploma Program learn to know and understand." http://www.westisliptribune.com/links/news/ne...
Sounds like brainwashing our kids into some kind of U.N., America hating cult if you ask me. I'd rather our local, AMERICAN, school district teach our kids about have an American centered thought process first. Never mind the globalist, Marxist, mumbo jumbo U.N. bullcrap.
She also has neglected to give we the taxpayers a dollar amount spent so far on this.
This program is not as prestigious or benign as our district is making it out to be. I've been doing some research on it and it is downright frightening the costs associated with the program in dollars as well as the indoctrination of our kids into beliefs that may be diametrically opposed to ones that you have been teaching them their whole lives.
More WI Board BS

Farmingville, NY

#3 May 30, 2010
Glenn A M wrote:
AGREE!!! Program is a waste of taxpayer money and a tragedy to the teachings of our children! Meanwhile the WEst Islip School BOard hangs their hat on this as something to be proud of. Disgrace!!!
good of you to wake up

AOL

#4 May 31, 2010
It has taken the district 3 years to bring the ib program in. they have held countless hearings, meetings, open forums to present the program and hear back from the community., the community overwhelmingly supported it., thats why we have it, thats why my son will be enrolled this fall as one of the first classes to receive the instruction. AND interestingly, it is the narrowminded attitude such as yours he will learn not to be like as he enjoys his studies and advanced placement in the college he chooses to attend (saving me a years worth of tuition) when he enters university. but by all means, dont let YOUR child participate. It isnt for everyone, and it is a FREE country, so do as you choose!!
Truth About IB

Ridge, NY

#5 May 31, 2010
"We live in an interconnected, globalized world that requires critical-thinking skills and a sense of international-mindedness, something that students in the IB Diploma Program learn to know and understand," she said.

Good grief, what a load of bull. IB is the biggest educational scam being perpetrated on American education today. "Progressive", under-achieving school districts push implementation of IB to promote the "designer label" and "set themselves apart" from other, top school districts. It is nothing more than a PR move by a district to waste taxpayer money, nudge its way up the vapid Newsweek Best High School List and make false claims of "prestige" to gullible, naive, parents. IBO is an NGO of UNESCO. Its goal is to create "global citizens, push radical environmentalism, secular humanism, junk UN global warming science and to undermine Judeo-Christian values. Anyone who "chooses" to put their child into this program is a narrow-minded, anti-American Progressive.

IB is an ideology and a philosophy. Its "academics" are inferior to AP which is why its SL exams are not awarded college credit by MOST U..S. Universities. If you want you kid to grow up to be a diplomat, send them to UNIS in NY.

IB is also used for "social justice". I'm willing to wager W. Islip made a grab for 2009 U.S. Recovery Act money to fund this scam. IBO targets districts with a high percentage of free & reduced lunch students. Just look at Long Beach, the newest (and only IB addition to Nassau County in 6 years)

Universities that award sophomore status to IB Diploma RECIPIENTS generally require a score of 30+ on the Diploma. In IB schools across the U.S., the average number of students in a given graduating class who earn this standing are less than 1%. It should also be noted that the Ivies only recognize IB 6's and 7's on HL IB exams for credit and do NOT award merit scholarships. So for those of you banking on saving a year's worth of college tuition with IB, I'd say you're better off playing Lotto.

http://truthaboutib.com/
lions pride too

Bronx, NY

#6 May 31, 2010
good of you to wake up wrote:
It has taken the district 3 years to bring the ib program in. they have held countless hearings, meetings, open forums to present the program and hear back from the community., the community overwhelmingly supported it., thats why we have it, thats why my son will be enrolled this fall as one of the first classes to receive the instruction. AND interestingly, it is the narrowminded attitude such as yours he will learn not to be like as he enjoys his studies and advanced placement in the college he chooses to attend (saving me a years worth of tuition) when he enters university. but by all means, dont let YOUR child participate. It isnt for everyone, and it is a FREE country, so do as you choose!!
I wouldn't get too cocky just yet Ms/Mr. Your son hasn't even started this program so how do you have a clue as to how he will turn out, or it will turn out? No, the community did not overwhelmingly support it, was there a vote? It's suppose to have cost the district roughly $500,000.00 just to get it off the ground. Then after that, each year (if I am not mistaken) it will cost the district about another $100,000.00 or so to maintain? I read the figures a few weeks back so it's not completely accurate, just an estimate. Needless to say, in my opinion, the person who wrote the very outstanding comment above was completely correct in his/her judgments about this program. In fact someone I met from Port Jefferson is writing a book about the dangers related to this international baccalaureate program with international globalist thinking connected to the "new world order" we have all been reading about in books and magazines and sometimes in the MSM. It is complete brain washing bull shit to the highest order thrust upon unsuspecting parents and students. I doubt that Mrs. Burns considered this viewpoint, it sounds all nicey nice on paper. I have to believe she is not aware of the long term implications however. So go ahead and let Johnny become globalized, let Johnny learn about the damage caused around the globe by evil America (after all, we know students today aren't learning about how great our country is because of many of these liberal ass teachers who trash our great nation, actually they aren't even being taught truthful American history) and let Johnny be among a rash of students who will follow the sheep into the furnace. My kids (all six of them) are raised and now grown for the most part, but each of them are American to the core! Loyal and eager to keep on learning what made our nation great! It's a lot to learn and thank goodness we have had the honor of having an incredible US history/Constitutional principles teacher in the high school,Mr. Compitello.
Glenn A M

Bronx, NY

#7 May 31, 2010
Lost wrote:
You lost the election get a grip and go to meeting's and ask your 3 friends. Mike,Glen,Kathy
<quoted text>
It's got nothing to do with the school board election. Its more to do with how your taxes will be paying for the indoctrination of your kids into a globalist-internationalist line of thinking that runs contrary to our founding principles as a nation. Where is your AMERICAN patriotism? George Orwell had a term for people like you who just follow what the powers say: "Sheeple".
Glenn A M

Bronx, NY

#8 May 31, 2010
good of you to wake up wrote:
You can let your kid, "focus on international perspectives of learning and teaching," while they are only able to merely, "explore their home culture," http://www.wi.k12.ny.us/winews.htm
all you want. As for me, I'd rather teach my kids what it means to be an American, and to take great pride and be unashamed of the fact that they are blessed to live in the greatest country that has has ever existed on this earth. Sure they need to understand the world around them, but they do not need to be indoctrinated into some Marxist ideology preached at the alter of globalism like your kid and the others in this program will be. As far as being "narrowminded", if you mean proud to be an American and suspicious of international organizations who have historically been fundamentally opposed to the basic tenets of American society, then yes, I gues I am. And proudly so. In case you've been asleep, American Patriots are waking up all over this great land with the determination and commitment to take our country back and restore it to our founding principles.

"Don't Tread On Me!"
Truth About IB

Ridge, NY

#9 May 31, 2010
"the community overwhelmingly supported it"

Yeah, right. The "community" that consisted of rah rah PTA mommies who brown-nose the administration and now will raise a nice little cadre of brownshirts supported IB. If W. Islip is anything like EVERY other public school district in the U.S. that has bought the IB cow, the initial decision to start paying homage to Geneva, Switzerland, and took place during a summer BoE meeting when few if any were in attendance. If W. Islip took 3 years to receive IBO authorization (something that has never been denied to a single district as long as the checks are good)then it spent an extra $15,000 on application/membership fees alone, probably because it was slow in getting all of the teachers trained, IBO's biggest income producer.

Expect your AP courses to disappear. Expect advanced classes/tracking of any sort in MS to disappear. IB is all about teaching to the lowest common denominator and redistribution of wealth.

http://www.peytonwolcott.com/International_Ba...
Get a grip

West Islip, NY

#10 May 31, 2010
Sausage and pepper heros!
Winston Churchill iii

West Islip, NY

#11 May 31, 2010
What is wrong with having an IB program? IB programs are good. IB programs make smart kids smarter. IB programs make sense. IB programs should be expanded to all kids in the high school.
America the Beautiful

Farmingville, NY

#12 May 31, 2010
Winston Churchill iii wrote:
What is wrong with having an IB program? IB programs are good. IB programs make smart kids smarter. IB programs make sense. IB programs should be expanded to all kids in the high school.
What's wrong with it? Expensive Taxpayer Waste that brainwashes our kids. Makes smart kids smarter? Makes these kids globalized American haters that will eventually burn the flag. Makes sense? You probably think it makes sense to give 4th graders condoms. Expanded to all HS kids? Sure if you want to double our taxes and teach our kids to hate America. I'm sure Memorial Day is a great day to expand this program to everyone, YOU FOOL!
STOP THIS NOW

Farmingville, NY

#13 May 31, 2010
We must stop this now, it is a taxpayer waste and a really bad idea:

http://westislip.patch.com/articles/west-isli...
Winston Churchill iii

West Islip, NY

#14 Jun 1, 2010
I researched the IB program and I find the program can be helpful to make smart kids smarter. I do not think it is anti american to get a global education. The cost of the program justifies having the program. The school system made the right choice by having this program.
Truth About IB

Ridge, NY

#15 Jun 1, 2010
I researched the IB program and I find the program can be helpful to make smart kids smarter. I do not think it is anti american to get a global education. The cost of the program justifies having the program. The school system made the right choice by having this program.
And just where did you "research" IB other than www.ibo.org ? The outrageous cost of a program, whose only legitimate claim to "fame" is it's IB Diploma, will probably be awarded to less than 20 West Islip students. Please explain how spending millions of dollars on less than 20 students a year in a public school system "justifies" the cost.
Winston Churchill iii

West Islip, NY

#16 Jun 1, 2010
There are many people who have knowledge of this program there are many sources of knowledge. The value of this program is that it brings better status to our already great school system and then makes our great school system even better status. Seems pretty obvious the cost is justified. Maybe you should get out there and ask people who know and you would find out the truth. The school administrators are smart people and smart people make smart decisions.
go to a meeting

New York, NY

#17 Jun 1, 2010
Truth About IB wrote:
<quoted text>
And just where did you "research" IB other than www.ibo.org ? The outrageous cost of a program, whose only legitimate claim to "fame" is it's IB Diploma, will probably be awarded to less than 20 West Islip students. Please explain how spending millions of dollars on less than 20 students a year in a public school system "justifies" the cost.
your so funny, I cant take the propoganda. look at the school budget please. IB cost is $77,000. in a 104 MILLION dollar budgetfor the entire school system. go to a meeting. upwards of 40 students have registered for the ib program so far!!! It is a students choice to enroll in this course of study. It doesnt appeal to everyone, nothing ever does. so please by all means keep your children where you choose and stop lecturing everyone else. this is america, and freedom of choice is what the schools are offering.
Yeah Right

Farmingville, NY

#18 Jun 1, 2010
go to a meeting wrote:
<quoted text>
your so funny, I cant take the propoganda. look at the school budget please. IB cost is $77,000. in a 104 MILLION dollar budgetfor the entire school system. go to a meeting. upwards of 40 students have registered for the ib program so far!!! It is a students choice to enroll in this course of study. It doesnt appeal to everyone, nothing ever does. so please by all means keep your children where you choose and stop lecturing everyone else. this is america, and freedom of choice is what the schools are offering.
Thank God there is freedom of choice because with you morons running programs, our kids will hate America and get pregnant by 13. Problem is you start programs as a choice and years later they become mandatory or expected.
lions pride too

Bronx, NY

#19 Jun 1, 2010
There are many people who have knowledge of this program there are many sources of knowledge. The value of this program is that it brings better status to our already great school system and then makes our great school system even better status. Seems pretty obvious the cost is justified. Maybe you should get out there and ask people who know and you would find out the truth. The school administrators are smart people and smart people make smart decisions.
It's only propaganda when you leftist loons aren't the ones saying it. If you were the ones opposing it, then by all means, it would have importance and value! You call it propaganda even when there is strong evidence of it's very anti-American, anti-Judeo-Christian overtones, defined. People like you think that this country is broken and needs fixing. People like you think that kids today need to be more globally focused. Why? When you were growing up were you concerned one ounce about the lives of people in other very distant societies and cultures? If you tell me you were or you are, I know that you are lying through your teeth! Only a select few (financially well to do families) travel abroad or become educated in different cultures but lets be understood that it doesn't have anything to do with concern over their social or financial structures or lack there of. It typically has to do with travel for pleasure as in taking a trip for example to Italy or France or Ireland etc. Very few kids go to other countries for college, even fewer kids go away to make a difference somewhere else in the world, but if they do, it's through an already well known organization called the peace corp. We don't need any more globalized citizens here in this nation spreading out and diluting our society.What we need are citizens who will focus on this country, appreciate this country, help this country, and make it a life long commitment to improve this country. We don't need little bratty ingrates who are so thankless that they look outwards instead of inwards, toward other countries instead of bringing charity and help, where it should begin, which is at home. We don't need youth of today with all their entitlement attitudes (for doing absolutely -0-) to look outside our nation to seek out what they can do to be "global" thinkers. People should be teaching their kids American values, like taking care of the family in their own home, to sweep their own side of the street in their own neighborhood. Then when you have helped the poor, taken care of the elderly and the weaker in America, then and only then should we be thinking globally.
So far, this is not at all the case, we are by no means anywhere near that type of inward thinking in our nation, yet we want to reach out. What a joke, hypocrites! Teach our children to love our nation and our programs of charity and benevolence already in place. Teach them to join these organizations which have been doing the jobs that this so called IB program teaches them to do as a global community, but which serves to undermine and re-educate our American children instead. Spend money on that! We don't need more dumb-ass wasteful programs to help our kids who can't even think locally, but wants to help them think so called "globally!" Man O man have I seen and heard enough!
Truth About IB

Ridge, NY

#20 Jun 1, 2010
Lions Pride Too,

Excellent post. Check out this story out of Des Moines, Iowa, today:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/2010...

In their own words:

"They are part of a flat world and not just Iowans," said Tim Schott, principal of Hubbell Elementary School. "If they are going to interact on the world stage, we want to prepare them for global citizenship."

IB is heralding in the dark ages! Teaching elementary students the world is flat? Does anyone here honestly believe a 1st Grader has read Thomas Friedman's left-wing manifesto?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Islip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nesconset dad writes to give his injured teen a... (Dec '08) 7 hr Thomas Archer 9
Review: Bt Orthotic Labs Inc (Oct '08) 18 hr Nancy Weinstein 8
News Town of Islip OKs bonds for animal shelter, air... 19 hr charge the taxpayer 3
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Mon Bruser 8,605
Islandia Music Thread Sun Musikologist 2
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Oct 13 Bruser 2,778
News Paying it forward Oct 10 trsh island 1

West Islip Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Islip Mortgages