West Islip 2012-13 School Budget Guide

There are 3 comments on the May 14, 2012, Patch.com story titled West Islip 2012-13 School Budget Guide. In it, Patch.com reports that:

West Islip school district taxpayers will cast their vote on the district's proposed $111 million 2012-13 budget on Tuesday.A The polls are open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. atA West Islip High School .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

like it is in WI

West Islip, NY

#1 May 14, 2012
I was shocked but not surprised to find the boe mailed out the West Islip the Lion’s Pride/School Budget Vote Edition containing inaccurate and misleading information.

On page 2, in a letter from Steve Gellar to the residents of WI, Mr. Gellar says that the closing of two elementary schools and consolidation of the remaining 4 elementary schools:“…did not result in an increase of class size, an overriding concern of the Board of Education.” I don’t know why Mr. Gellar would inform the WI residents that class sizes didn’t increase when the district’s own projected class sizes of Oquenock’s 1st and 5th grade classes are increasing by 5 to 6 students per classroom.

Page 15, reads as follows:“The school district recognizes and understand that this is your money, and we have a fiduciary responsibility to see that it is spent efficiently and effectively. These are some of the internal controls that are already in place to safeguard your state aid and taxpayer dollars”“MULTIPLE APPROVALS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL PURCHASE ORDER REQUESTS.” This is in direct contrast from what Cullen & Danowski reported to the boe in their Independent Accountant’s Report January 6, 2012: pg6, paragraph3:“There were 4 instances totaling $139,499.00 (vendor named) where the services were received prior to obtaining a purchase order approved by the Purchasing Agent.” This is only one of several examples of purchase order discrepancies in the accountant’s report.“ALL EQUIPMENT PURCHASES ARE RECORDED AND INVENTORIED.” Again, this is not the case according to the independent accountant’s report. pg6, paragraph6:“There was 1 Hewlett-Packard invoice totaling $10,560.00 related to the purchase of 20 computers. The district’s Business Office was unable to identify in the Finance Manager system or the capital asset database the serial numbers or location of these items.” Why is the boe mailing inaccurate, misleading information to the voters of West Islip? More importantly, the question we should be asking is WHO on the boe gave the approval to send the voters inaccurate information and why would we trust them with West Islip’s future?
Taxed out

West Islip, NY

#2 May 15, 2012
voted for Montes and Zotto
Missy Johnson

West Islip, NY

#3 May 15, 2012
Montes got my vote too and my parents also voted for Montes :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Islip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man arrested in Internet sting with Miss Americ... (May '07) 9 hr Lexxx 398
News 2 Charged in Massapequa Shooting (Jun '10) 14 hr Vito HB Ny 15
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 22 hr Bruser 8,010
News LI VetsBuild program trains veterans for 'green... 23 hr mjjcpa 1
cesspool company scams (Sep '07) Fri Frustrated 66
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Fri Stacie Ucci 1,376
News Bellmore bank robbery suspect had been deported... (Jun '08) Fri mjjcpa 19
More from around the web

West Islip People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]