West Islip to Close Kirdahy, Westbrook Elementary Schools

Jan 13, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WALK 97.5

West Isilp - After weeks of study, the West Islip School District will close the Westbrook and Paul E. Kirdhay Elementary schools at the end of the school year, a decision officials say will save the district approximately $3 million, cutting its projected deficit in half.

Comments (Page 92)

Showing posts 1,821 - 1,840 of2,481
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Perspective

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

fyi wrote:
<quoted text>
By definition of Taxpac isn't our district already headed their under the current leadership. Just via piece mail??? Each year young teachers have been let go, this year we lost 2 schools so classes are growing and quite a bit. Presently Oq. and poss. Man. K classes are closes out the enrollment is up to contract(which no matter who is on the board protects size of classes somewhat and contracts are solid til 2015). Some programs have been lost-dance, es foreign language, planetarium,some boces sections, summer school, decreased es clubs and jv9 sports. They even tried to get the community to changed bussing(based on misinformation of a remaining budget deficit.)
The present board of ed. is like a taxpac'er' in sheeps clothing. They just peck and peck apart our schools and in the past have done so by creating more debt to the district, increasing district liability to the unions and increasing taxes.
I do not want by any stretch a taxpac or damaging to my childrens educational experience board, but how is it better to have a board which when unable to raise taxes for the 3rd year another 7-9% chose to close 2 ES buildings???
Next year we will owe teachers a raise from 2010 that was deferred + a raise for 2013. We will owe them 4% raises. Typically we owe them a 2% raise and for the past several years have had to ask for deferrments and givebacks, depleat reserves and raise taxes (we couldn't cover the 2%) How on this earth will our community be able to afford doubling what we couldn't afford before?????
Guess what unless the magic rabbit comes out of the hat and those buildings are leased this district is "taxpac' by the name of 'the WI BOE' scr***ed.
Voting in Mr. Gellar for 3 more years only tells them that you can walk, jog, run and jump all over this community and we'll just roll over and take it.
Vothing Mr. Gellar out even with a less than best candidate says enough is enough- we are smart, strong and we want change.
3 years of a new candidate even if it has to be Mr. Montes can't be any worse or damaging than 9 years with Mr. Gellar.
Intersting spin. The truth is that the tax cap that was adopted by the state was actually an initiative of the taxpac organization. It is something taxpac has been fighting for, and now is the law. So to say that because the current boe is a taxpac because they consolidated it's expenses in a way that met that legal obligation is somewhat of a stretch. The current consolidation is a big deal yes. However, the class sizes are no where near cap.. By any means... An objective eye devoid of the emotional toll would look at this move and say it was fiscally responsible to consolidate the buildings and save the tax payers 3 million dollars. An objective eye would look,at this budget and recognize that all current services are essentially remaining the same and so this budget is educationally sound as well. the board could have taken the easy way out, kept open 1 es and asked for a pierce in the cap. Then, all of you would have been screaming about it. So I will ask, where would you find the million and a half dollars to keep open the building. What part of the program would you sacrifice to do that? Which special interest group would you have prepared to go up against to keep open the es. If you have facts, not pie in the sky theories, then you should present them at the public hearing on Tuesday night.
even I

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Suddenly all this taxpac blogging....really?

Don't be fooled West Islip. The superintendent gave notice this week, he's out of here. The boe voting block is crapping in their pants that it will reflect badly on them right before the electon. Gee, ya think?

The accusation of being a member of TaxPac is a smoke screen to lead the focus away from the disaster WISD is currently in thanks to Steve Gellar at the helm of the school district.
even I

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Cathy wrote:
I think if I ever voted for a Taxpac candidate my parents would disown me.They and their friends worked very hard to get rid of them the first time. I will be voting for anyone but Montes and I will be voting yes on the school budget ( I'm not going to screw my kids just because I'm mad at Ann Marie Larosa)
Didn't Annmarie Larosa screw your kids for you?
DISMANTLE THE BOE MAY 15TH. VOTE OUT GELLAR -
west islip parents union

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

TNT wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because you coined Mr. Montes a taxpac candidate makes it so?
Spoken like a true lib, lies and more lies, nothing substantiated, just make it up, hoping it sticks. By the way, if your take away on this whole fiasco is that people are not voting for the budget to stick it to Larosa, you're pretty shallow or haven't been paying attention. The kids are already screwed. When September rolls around, this district will be but a shadow of it's former self.
Well said. I wouldn't put it past these liars and cheats to have put Mr. Montes's name on the taxpac site themselves! Don't forget WI, these are the same bunch who have manipulated and lied their way to closing 2 schools because of a 6 million $ deficit that NEVER EXISTED!
west islip parents union

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Cathy wrote:
<quoted text>
My understanding is that Mr Montes is a member of CSA/Taxpac, based on seeing his name listed as a member on their website (some guy on the Patchposted it) Is he not a member? Trust me I know what a mess this September is going to be, I have two very young children that are going to have to go to a new school. I'm not a liberal, I tend to vote Republican. Do you remember the Taxpac days?
That all you got Cathy? Gimme a break. How do we know YOU didn't sign up Glenn Montes up on the taxpac site?
phil

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Perspective wrote:
<quoted text>Intersting spin. The truth is that the tax cap that was adopted by the state was actually an initiative of the taxpac organization. It is something taxpac has been fighting for, and now is the law. So to say that because the current boe is a taxpac because they consolidated it's expenses in a way that met that legal obligation is somewhat of a stretch. The current consolidation is a big deal yes. However, the class sizes are no where near cap.. By any means... An objective eye devoid of the emotional toll would look at this move and say it was fiscally responsible to consolidate the buildings and save the tax payers 3 million dollars. An objective eye would look,at this budget and recognize that all current services are essentially remaining the same and so this budget is educationally sound as well. the board could have taken the easy way out, kept open 1 es and asked for a pierce in the cap. Then, all of you would have been screaming about it. So I will ask, where would you find the million and a half dollars to keep open the building. What part of the program would you sacrifice to do that? Which special interest group would you have prepared to go up against to keep open the es. If you have facts, not pie in the sky theories, then you should present them at the public hearing on Tuesday night.
Need I remind you that the doomsday 6 million dollar deficit NEVER EXISTED. Yes, the same 6 million dollar fake deficit they held to our throats like a knife and used as their #1 excuse in order to close 2 schools. Yes, please bring it up on Tuesday night so we can all hear them contradict themselves for the 10th time.
ps the 2012/13 school budget is NOT educationally sound just because "they" say it is. Remember that 6 mill deficit that "they" said existed?
Truth or Lie

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

west islip parents union wrote:
<quoted text>
That all you got Cathy? Gimme a break. How do we know YOU didn't sign up Glenn Montes up on the taxpac site?
Because if it wasnt true Glenn should have been all over it immediately! All of a sudden he is silent? Mr. Blogger of all things hasnt said a word since it came up.
Truth or Lie

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

I want to make it clear that I have not made up my mind who I am voting for yet. It may be Montes I still have my own homework to do including waiting to hear from all candidates in person, not from what rumors & blogs say. I just dont want to be accused of "Delphi" or whatever it is you all accuse others of doing.
Willy come lately

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Is it true that Steve Geller was involved in doing an audit of the West Islip Little League? When was this? Why was this? How was he involved in the audit? Does anyone remember what happened?
phil

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Truth or Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
Because if it wasnt true Glenn should have been all over it immediately! All of a sudden he is silent? Mr. Blogger of all things hasnt said a word since it came up.
Well then I guess Simon's sayonara is true too or Sally would have been blogging her fingers off under every alias to deny it.
Wow, wonder why Simon interviewed for a job with another town....any ideas WI?
TNT

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Truth or Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to explain something to you. You and your two buddies want to change the narrative, you want to throw the pebble into the pond, but Montes isn't going to allow you the opportunity to engage in this war of ideas that you want to have with him. This is about public school education. The rhetoric you want to spew in the information battle space has nothing to do with the basic, free, public school education this town so badly needs to maintain. It's all we ever had going for us, it's what we all moved here for. Hoever, you want and your little cronies want to go off the radar and use radioactive dialogue, in lies and innuendo against Mr. Montes, a man who hasn't lifted his finger to sign any documents, vote to shut an unprecidented 2 ES in one year, and disenfranchise the youngest most vulnerable children in our community. We see right through you! So good luck with that desperate attempt! Oh and just so you do understand, that at this juncture, you appear to be in the middle of quick sand without a life rope, the more you wriggle, the quicker you sink!
TNT

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

phil wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then I guess Simon's sayonara is true too or Sally would have been blogging her fingers off under every alias to deny it.
Well, he did come from the E Williston School district before, and the E Williston Super is heading to Plainview Old Bethpage on July 31, so E Williston is looking to have a replacement by July 1.
POB already voted unanimously at their last meeting to hire Lorna Lewis, from E Williston. I imagine that we should know before long THE REST OF THE STORY.
TNT

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

phil wrote:
<quoted text>
True very true, and also very funny. lol
Truth or Lie

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

TNT wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to explain something to you. You and your two buddies want to change the narrative, you want to throw the pebble into the pond, but Montes isn't going to allow you the opportunity to engage in this war of ideas that you want to have with him. This is about public school education. The rhetoric you want to spew in the information battle space has nothing to do with the basic, free, public school education this town so badly needs to maintain. It's all we ever had going for us, it's what we all moved here for. Hoever, you want and your little cronies want to go off the radar and use radioactive dialogue, in lies and innuendo against Mr. Montes, a man who hasn't lifted his finger to sign any documents, vote to shut an unprecidented 2 ES in one year, and disenfranchise the youngest most vulnerable children in our community. We see right through you! So good luck with that desperate attempt! Oh and just so you do understand, that at this juncture, you appear to be in the middle of quick sand without a life rope, the more you wriggle, the quicker you sink!
Once again you are true to your paranoid delusions. Any time someone brings up any other opinion other than yours, you accuse them of being on the BOE with your childish behavior. Once again, stomping your feet that someone other than the same 5 losers on here have actually tried to respond. BTW, changing your name over and over doesnt make it more of a majority. Get a life you are a pathetic BULLY!!!!! I feel very sorry for you.
fyi

Ronkonkoma, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Perspective wrote:
<quoted text>Intersting spin. The truth is that the tax cap that was adopted by the state was actually an initiative of the taxpac organization. It is something taxpac has been fighting for, and now is the law. So to say that because the current boe is a taxpac because they consolidated it's expenses in a way that met that legal obligation is somewhat of a stretch. The current consolidation is a big deal yes. However, the class sizes are no where near cap.. By any means... An objective eye devoid of the emotional toll would look at this move and say it was fiscally responsible to consolidate the buildings and save the tax payers 3 million dollars. An objective eye would look,at this budget and recognize that all current services are essentially remaining the same and so this budget is educationally sound as well. the board could have taken the easy way out, kept open 1 es and asked for a pierce in the cap. Then, all of you would have been screaming about it. So I will ask, where would you find the million and a half dollars to keep open the building. What part of the program would you sacrifice to do that? Which special interest group would you have prepared to go up against to keep open the es. If you have facts, not pie in the sky theories, then you should present them at the public hearing on Tuesday night.
You are right about 1 thing the closing of ES(and this is where you went wrong)

1 ES would have been fiscally wise had the BOE looked into doing so for the 2010 school year.Had they followed enrollment trends, listened to publicly expressed opinions and been proactive rather than reactive the entire picture we'd be seeing would be different.
Had the building closed at that time the town would have save $90,000+ in energy costs per year, saved on any 'bond' upgrades or investments that were made on that sight, saved from not having to extend and collectivly bargain yet another WITA contract that will haunt the community next year, and possibly earned if the property had been leased out.

To say the'tax cap'is a taxpac and to blame it for the current situation the district is in is not what the BOE should be doing. They should be thanking that cap.Thanks to that cap they were able to attempt 'to bow out of fiscal disaster'graciously. The govenor handed them an excuse to close buildings as opposed to push through yet another tremendous tax increase.

Yes hindsight is 20/20 and on May 15th mine will be remembering not what 'should have,would have and could have been done'by the board of ed.

It will remember what was done.It will remember the $20,000 payraise given to our former superintendent before her retirement, her $1,100 per unused sick day pension buffer, her replacement was hired with a $215,000 salary and recieved another $65,000 in benifits,remember the hiring of and creation of a 6 figure salary executive postion,remember that our children had begun to lose programs before the taxcap to fund adminstrative perks and incentives the district could not afford, it will remember the teachers in the district who gave from their families pockets to assist WI education and those who've in the past several years still lost their jobs because it wasn't enough. I will remember that all of this was done while the school district was sinking into a financial disarray.

I will look at my tax bill and remember that it has gone up 13% in 2 years to fund an education that the board of ed. has allowed to begin to fall.Remember that this year as opposed to offering the community honest and truthful information we were deceived.I will remember the 500-600 students in our ES buildings while the same number of students are in each or our double the size MS buildings.Remember that options were offered by a study group and a superintendent that were disregarded by the board.

I will with an objective eye remember to vote NO to Mr. Gellar staying on the BOE.
TNT

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Jack Latch is using free hand to create a picture not even there. Montes has no record, Geller does!
It's unprecidented to close two schools, I don't care how you slice it, all the excuses they want to make in the world, it's unjustifiable. The Latch jerk has to haunt the patch so that he captivates an idiot audience who hasn't learned a thing from any of this. They were the children who burned their hand on the stove, didn't learn and then pulled the pot of boiling water down on themselves. It happens, it's a sad commentary on what's out there today, I get it, they know who their target audience is. Don't feed the fire.
People today are soft, I hate to say it, but they really are politically correct, self loathing, dingbats. Don't take the bait!
TNT

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Truth or Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again you are true to your paranoid delusions. Any time someone brings up any other opinion other than yours, you accuse them of being on the BOE with your childish behavior. Once again, stomping your feet that someone other than the same 5 losers on here have actually tried to respond. BTW, changing your name over and over doesnt make it more of a majority. Get a life you are a pathetic BULLY!!!!! I feel very sorry for you.
You can have your opinion, just don't make $$it up! No one accused anyone of being on the BOE, lie again. Include yourself in the same five losers, hypocrite, and 'BULLY',another new catch word for the wimps of the world to whip out. Deal with it! Or you can do what you have been programed to do and go cry like the rest of the limp wrists out there who think they can push their weight around, UNTIL finally people stop putting up with it, and start to push back...and then suddenly, THE WORD shows up, tada...and we are called the new naughty word, BULLY! The biggest bullies I have seen in this town have sat their fat asses on BOE's, just go ask that young boy who moved away from WI a few years ago, you can google it actually, remember? Wasn't Kohlmann his last name, what a Terrible story! Not a proud moment and yet so typical.
Cathy

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

TNT, There is really no reason for your impolite, condescending attitude. We all want what is best for our community. I will not vote for anyone connected with TAXPAC and believe me it has nothing to do with anything written by Jack Latch or anyone else. Taxpac is bad for our children, it's that simple.
sizemore

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

TNT wrote:
<quoted text>
You can have your opinion, just don't make $$it up! No one accused anyone of being on the BOE, lie again. Include yourself in the same five losers, hypocrite, and 'BULLY',another new catch word for the wimps of the world to whip out. Deal with it! Or you can do what you have been programed to do and go cry like the rest of the limp wrists out there who think they can push their weight around, UNTIL finally people stop putting up with it, and start to push back...and then suddenly, THE WORD shows up, tada...and we are called the new naughty word, BULLY! The biggest bullies I have seen in this town have sat their fat asses on BOE's, just go ask that young boy who moved away from WI a few years ago, you can google it actually, remember? Wasn't Kohlmann his last name, what a Terrible story! Not a proud moment and yet so typical.
Yes you're correct and people have had enough of the bull$$hit. I have seen it time and time again in this town and im sure others towns deal with the same crap but to deny the issues at hand and bury our head in the sand, is crazy.We need the hard questions answered and I doubt we will get it from the majority of this BOE. I do remember the Kohlmans they lived down the block from me.
The BOE back then are the same few left that sit now and back then hey tried to bury this and do damage control and it blew up in their faces all over the media.
TNT

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2012

Judged:

Cathy wrote:
TNT, There is really no reason for your impolite, condescending attitude. We all want what is best for our community. I will not vote for anyone connected with TAXPAC and believe me it has nothing to do with anything written by Jack Latch or anyone else. Taxpac is bad for our children, it's that simple.
Dearest Cathy from Collegville PA, labeling Mr. Montes the taxpac candidate is the epitome of "condescending" and it's not polite to lie, considering how a few of your posts back mentioned the Bull Crap posted on the patch as though it was authentic and relevant because some lib progressive commie put it there. Stop with your taxpac conspiracies, it's not true.
If you want what is best for your community, and you are still unsure at this point what got us here, as though you are on the fence, then there is nothing worse that can happen that will hammer it into your head. I said it before, some people never learn, no matter how costly or how hard the lesson.
The sky is blue,...but Cathy says...No it isn't, it's purple. Your kind might have gotten away with that pattern of thinking before, but from what I am hearing around this town, not any more. Sorry Cathy from Collegeville PA.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,821 - 1,840 of2,481
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent West Islip Discussions

Search the West Islip Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 31 min Bruser 2,247
Why is Lindenhurst such a Ghetto? (Mar '10) 11 hr russiangal 679
Horseshoe crab sting (Jul '07) 12 hr Operadog108 69
Closed: Peter's, Babylon; Tennessee Jack's, E.I... (Jul '09) 15 hr Margie 57
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 17 hr marvinstevens 16,761
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 22 hr Bruser 7,854
Review: Maxy Nails Sun Michele 3
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Suffolk County was issued at July 14 at 3:58AM EDT

•••
•••

West Islip News Video

•••
•••

West Islip Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000