West Islip to Close Kirdahy, Westbrook Elementary Schools

Jan 13, 2012 Full story: WALK 97.5 2,481

West Isilp - After weeks of study, the West Islip School District will close the Westbrook and Paul E. Kirdhay Elementary schools at the end of the school year, a decision officials say will save the district approximately $3 million, cutting its projected deficit in half.

Full Story
fyi

Bronx, NY

#2497 May 18, 2012
Sandy wrote:
....and yes I know Gellar & Zotto havent publically thanked their voters yet either but I am sure that will be at the next BOE meeting.
Yup and they will be thanking the town with 3 more years of Gellaromics!! No money but already talk of expanding IB to middle school, ordering e-readers to take place of the text books we just bought and plans to close the middles school moving forward soon as Gellar and LaRosa youngest move on to highschool(membership has it's privledges.)
But it is democracy and it is the West Islip way-sit back, be complaisant, make no changes and bitch and moan every January.

And before ya all say I didn't complain, I thought everything was fine, it was only 4 or 5 of you who didn't like things the way they are. Don't bother cause it was over 1,000 who were looking for change, who were actually going to vote down a 'tax capped' budget(and risk damaging education even more) over the disgust with the direction of West Islip Schools and this BOE. Sad thing is that this go around 2,000 still didn't have their eyes wide open
and we still have the same board.

Hopefully by this time next year that scale will tilt and more of the town will open their eyes and see the harm this board causes. Hopefully there will be candidates willing to come forward again and challenge the incumbents and hopefully they will gain enough support to lead West Islip to positive changes before we lose yet another school and more pieces of our children's educations.

Til then best to all, have a great summer!! September promises to be quite rollercoaster ride at least for those with students in the ES buildings or in the neighborhoods with those vacated buildings!!! So get some rest, get a tan, eat lots of barbque and take in some hopefully wonderful weather!! 4 more weeks to go!!
funny

Bay Shore, NY

#2498 May 18, 2012
fyi wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup and they will be thanking the town with 3 more years of Gellaromics!! No money but already talk of expanding IB to middle school, ordering e-readers to take place of the text books we just bought and plans to close the middles school moving forward soon as Gellar and LaRosa youngest move on to highschool(membership has it's privledges.)
But it is democracy and it is the West Islip way-sit back, be complaisant, make no changes and bitch and moan every January.
And before ya all say I didn't complain, I thought everything was fine, it was only 4 or 5 of you who didn't like things the way they are. Don't bother cause it was over 1,000 who were looking for change, who were actually going to vote down a 'tax capped' budget(and risk damaging education even more) over the disgust with the direction of West Islip Schools and this BOE. Sad thing is that this go around 2,000 still didn't have their eyes wide open
and we still have the same board.
Hopefully by this time next year that scale will tilt and more of the town will open their eyes and see the harm this board causes. Hopefully there will be candidates willing to come forward again and challenge the incumbents and hopefully they will gain enough support to lead West Islip to positive changes before we lose yet another school and more pieces of our children's educations.
Til then best to all, have a great summer!! September promises to be quite rollercoaster ride at least for those with students in the ES buildings or in the neighborhoods with those vacated buildings!!! So get some rest, get a tan, eat lots of barbque and take in some hopefully wonderful weather!! 4 more weeks to go!!
a couple of years ago, the district put up a 0% increase and STILL a thousand people came out to vote no. those same no voters are always anti incumbant minded, so your theory has a few holes.
west islip parents union

West Islip, NY

#2499 May 18, 2012
funny wrote:
<quoted text>a couple of years ago, the district put up a 0% increase and STILL a thousand people came out to vote no. those same no voters are always anti incumbant minded, so your theory has a few holes.
Wasn't that 0% increase you keep bringing up only possible because Beth Blau sat on unused budget $ for years and years until it built up to millions of dollars? That 0% increase year, didn't Beth Blau and boe twist the facts at budget presentation time and really pay-down the budget with all of the unused $ from previous years but have it appear to the public that the super and the boe were performing a Moses-walks-on-water-miracle because it was putting forth a 0% increase budget?
west islip parents union

West Islip, NY

#2500 May 18, 2012
Sandy wrote:
I dont want to start a war because this thing seems to have finally come to an end but where are O'Conner & Montes? They both had decent turnouts for voters and supporters. I think maybe they should thank those people who hung in there and fought the good fight with them? No?
No Sandy...YOU don't want to start a war......much.
Spunge Bob

West Islip, NY

#2501 May 18, 2012
west islip parents union wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't that 0% increase you keep bringing up only possible because Beth Blau sat on unused budget $ for years and years until it built up to millions of dollars? That 0% increase year, didn't Beth Blau and boe twist the facts at budget presentation time and really pay-down the budget with all of the unused $ from previous years but have it appear to the public that the super and the boe were performing a Moses-walks-on-water-miracle because it was putting forth a 0% increase budget?
http://www.theschwartzreport.com/vb/showthrea...
Fact is

New York, NY

#2502 May 18, 2012
Was also there wrote:
<quoted text>I was also present at the count, and dejected really? first of all, they all shook his hand and thanked him for participating. dejected? no you idiot that is common courtesy. board members didnt really care about that race, they cared about the gellar/montes race. zotto is insignificant and has made no contributuion to the boe for the 3 years he has kept the seat warm. secondly, where was zotto? he did not even have the balls to show up win or loose to hear the final vote. thats not a man that is a mouse. btw, montes didnt show up either, no surprise there since he shows up for nothing. lastly, oconnor ran on his own, no endorsement from any board member or teacherss union. zotto was endorsed by the union so there you go, zotto is right back in their pocket.
Yes where was Zotto ? Before you go shooting your mouth without facts . Mr Zotto was celebrating his youngest sons birthday that night with family and friends, Asshole! And to call someone a mouse and insignificant you must have been looking in the mirror but this is right on course for you, this is your character I'm sure.

Mr Zotto has done more in his life and for our community and its kids and continues to do more than you have ever done in your sad existence .

A warm seat for three years? Really? And our current board of education has done what in the past six years under it's leadership? Right get back to me on that one ?

Wait let me digress just for a moment P and VP and long standing board members and all there wizardry have applied a rubber stamp to contracts all these years and never gave it a thought what was ahead, hence closing of two schools great financial planning , what a mess ,they have extended contracts hired, personal we didn't need, we force people out and keep forcing people that have been productive for our school and it's children ,the VP got a job in Nolans office that was helpful, i guess huh, he thought that would help him Garner some votes , oops, sorry Phil, very insignificant that connection. Big help to our community, something fierce . Let me stop. Everyone gets it , well not everyone.

Yes and my friend who is so insignificant was backed by the Unions, really? I don't think so but your'e one of the talking heads and know better. You're miserable and unhappy and things havent gone as planned, has it ? The bully tactics, name calling and faces are tiresome and the people of our community recognized this for what it is and what has been accomplished

Remember GOd doesnt like ugly Pull yourself away from the table and come up for air sweetheart it not good to harbor all this resentment and bitterness, really.

Sorry for calling you an asshole not really my character.

Good luck Mike

B chamber.
tom

Bay Shore, NY

#2503 May 18, 2012
<quoted text>
No wendy, those are not the details at all? where are you getting that nonsense from? i believe fund balance was used much in the same way it is used every year. in fact, that particular year we actually had a tax decrease when the rate was set by the town in october. West Islip has NEVER sat on "millions" in our fund balance. That is why we are low today. werent you the one quoting the audit report stating we were in fiscal distress because of the low amount? you cant have it both ways.
putz

Bay Shore, NY

#2504 May 18, 2012
Fact is wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes where was Zotto ? Before you go shooting your mouth without facts . Mr Zotto was celebrating his youngest sons birthday that night with family and friends, Asshole! And to call someone a mouse and insignificant you must have been looking in the mirror but this is right on course for you, this is your character I'm sure.
Mr Zotto has done more in his life and for our community and its kids and continues to do more than you have ever done in your sad existence .
A warm seat for three years? Really? And our current board of education has done what in the past six years under it's leadership? Right get back to me on that one ?
Wait let me digress just for a moment P and VP and long standing board members and all there wizardry have applied a rubber stamp to contracts all these years and never gave it a thought what was ahead, hence closing of two schools great financial planning , what a mess ,they have extended contracts hired, personal we didn't need, we force people out and keep forcing people that have been productive for our school and it's children ,the VP got a job in Nolans office that was helpful, i guess huh, he thought that would help him Garner some votes , oops, sorry Phil, very insignificant that connection. Big help to our community, something fierce . Let me stop. Everyone gets it , well not everyone.
Yes and my friend who is so insignificant was backed by the Unions, really? I don't think so but your'e one of the talking heads and know better. You're miserable and unhappy and things havent gone as planned, has it ? The bully tactics, name calling and faces are tiresome and the people of our community recognized this for what it is and what has been accomplished
Remember GOd doesnt like ugly Pull yourself away from the table and come up for air sweetheart it not good to harbor all this resentment and bitterness, really.
Sorry for calling you an asshole not really my character.
Good luck Mike
B chamber.
blah blah blah blah blah
west islip parents union

West Islip, NY

#2505 May 18, 2012
tom wrote:
<quoted text>No wendy, those are not the details at all? where are you getting that nonsense from? i believe fund balance was used much in the same way it is used every year. in fact, that particular year we actually had a tax decrease when the rate was set by the town in october. West Islip has NEVER sat on "millions" in our fund balance. That is why we are low today. werent you the one quoting the audit report stating we were in fiscal distress because of the low amount? you cant have it both ways.
Numbers dont lie "Tom", that's for boe members to do. Go back and look at how many millions of dollars were used by Blau and the Blau-ettes to paydown the budget in order to accomplish that 0% increase. In the POST-Blau era Steve Gellar has used every last dime of any unspent money to fund his "vision". The district's accountants have properly noted in their audit reports that the boe is funding the district's budget with that money and have correctly referred to it as what it is: An indicator of severe fiscal distress. Call any time for a tutorial of proper accounting proceedures and the red flags of fiscal irresponsibility.:)
Truthhurts

Bay Shore, NY

#2506 May 18, 2012
putz wrote:
<quoted text>blah blah blah blah blah
truth is painful for you to swallow, you have swallowed something though ,Putz!
When all fails name calling is favorite for the bully of west Islip, Shame on
you,your attracting lotsa of flies. go bathe yourself you know who you are

phew
Bingo

Bay Shore, NY

#2507 May 18, 2012
<quoted text>
Numbers dont lie "Tom", that's for boe members to do. Go back and look at how many millions of dollars were used by Blau and the Blau-ettes to paydown the budget in order to accomplish that 0% increase. In the POST-Blau era Steve Gellar has used every last dime of any unspent money to fund his "vision". The district's accountants have properly noted in their audit reports that the boe is funding the district's budget with that money and have correctly referred to it as what it is: An indicator of severe fiscal distress. Call any time for a tutorial of proper accounting proceedures and the red flags of fiscal irresponsibility.:)
Correct- Keep digging!

The community has spoken.
Jack Latch

Bronx, NY

#2508 May 18, 2012
Gellar won right?
Stella D

West Islip, NY

#2509 May 20, 2012
Jack Latch wrote:
Gellar won right?
Yes, Gellar won. Whether he deserved to win is an entirely different story...
Should be an interesting year on several fronts ;)
Slob

New York, NY

#2510 May 25, 2012
WI DAD wrote:
I've lived in WI for a long time & have seen alot but nothing like this. My wife told me about the woman from the boe who came to her meeting and went on the record with the ladies saying she was voting for Oquenok and Kirdahy to close. The woman was the one who had the final vote last night.
What kind of person looks there neighbors in the eyes and lies to them?
A pig
west islip ny

West Islip, NY

#2511 May 25, 2012
Slob wrote:
<quoted text>
A pig
LOL!
fyi

Bronx, NY

#2512 May 25, 2012
Dr Elaine Kanas is to be named Superintendent of Schools for East Williston the district that Mr. Simon was rumored to be going to. Looks like another WI School rumor bites the dust and Mr Simon will be staying.
west islip ny

West Islip, NY

#2513 May 26, 2012
fyi wrote:
Dr Elaine Kanas is to be named Superintendent of Schools for East Williston the district that Mr. Simon was rumored to be going to. Looks like another WI School rumor bites the dust and Mr Simon will be staying.
Rumor?....Where have you been? It's a FACT that Richard Simon interviewed for the E Williston Superintendent's job. He didn't get the job w/ E Williston so ofcourse he's staying at WISD!

Here are some other FACTS:

FACT: Richard Simon interviewed for the E Williston Superintendent's
position because Richard Simon WANTED the E Williston job
not because he needed to brush up on his interviewing
skills.
FACT: Richard Simon was aware he had several more years
left on his contract with WISD yet still interviewed with
another school district. By his actions, it's apparent that
Richard Simon is ready,willing and eager to break his contract
with WISD as soon as he is offered another job.
fyi

Bronx, NY

#2514 May 26, 2012
west islip ny wrote:
<quoted text>
Rumor?....Where have you been? It's a FACT that Richard Simon interviewed for the E Williston Superintendent's job. He didn't get the job w/ E Williston so ofcourse he's staying at WISD!
Here are some other FACTS:
FACT: Richard Simon interviewed for the E Williston Superintendent's
position because Richard Simon WANTED the E Williston job
not because he needed to brush up on his interviewing
skills.
FACT: Richard Simon was aware he had several more years
left on his contract with WISD yet still interviewed with
another school district. By his actions, it's apparent that
Richard Simon is ready,willing and eager to break his contract
with WISD as soon as he is offered another job.
Fact or Fiction bottom line = Mr. Simon is not leaving. If he did interview for a position then good for him. Most people in any profession continually keep themselves open to better possiblities. Perhaps greater pay, a more fiscally sound district, a more responsible board, a top 100 highschool; whatever the attraction he is cerainly entitled to interview. I'm just glad that at least for now he will be staying.(Of course Valley Stream will soon begin their search for a new superintendent-so who knows.)
west islip ny

West Islip, NY

#2515 May 27, 2012
fyi wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact or Fiction bottom line = Mr. Simon is not leaving. If he did interview for a position then good for him. Most people in any profession continually keep themselves open to better possiblities. Perhaps greater pay, a more fiscally sound district, a more responsible board, a top 100 highschool; whatever the attraction he is cerainly entitled to interview. I'm just glad that at least for now he will be staying.(Of course Valley Stream will soon begin their search for a new superintendent-so who knows.)
Regarding Mr. Simon staying with WISD: As the old saying goes... Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.
I'm not saying Mr. Simon is the devil, far from it. I still believe that if Mr. Simon was given the power that came along with his title, our district wouldn't be in such the precarious position that it is today. It's hard to argue what's already transpired. Meaning that from the past year's worth of "decisions" it's evident that the current BOE will never give Mr. Simon enough power to make any decision that
A)He's qualified to make B)He was hired to make C)That haven't been decided by the BOE first.

With this bunch you know there'll always be another shoe dropping, another building closing or another fiasco to sweep under the rug so until then I'm going to take your sage advice to enjoy summer and eat some bbq!
Solon

Brooklyn, NY

#2516 Jun 1, 2012
Another interview for Simon in
Lawrence SD. Good luck

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Islip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A dog gets oxygen from the Wyandanch-Wheatley H... (Mar '11) 57 min GladToBeOutOfLong... 12
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 1 hr Bruser 7,924
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 9 hr Bruser 2,345
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Sun I Hate Syracuse 1,350
Former Copiague Restaurant from the 50's or 60's Fri Steve 1
Debate: Health Care - Massapequa Park, NY (Jan '10) Nov 20 Bruser 1,462
Review: Airport Transportation Nov 20 Courtney Galler 2

West Islip News Video

West Islip Dating
Find my Match

West Islip People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

West Islip News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in West Islip

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:35 am PST

NBC Sports11:35AM
Game of Inches: Jennings, Giants denied on fourth down
Bleacher Report12:32 PM
2014 the Final Chance for Cowboys to Win Super Bowl?
NBC Sports12:47 PM
Bills vs Jets a hot ticket in Detroit - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 1:38 PM
Was Odell Beckham Jr.'s Catch Better Than David Tyree's?
ESPN 1:59 PM
Eli: Haven't had a weapon like Beckham Jr.