West Islip to Close Kirdahy, Westbrook Elementary Schools

Jan 13, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WALK 97.5

West Isilp - After weeks of study, the West Islip School District will close the Westbrook and Paul E. Kirdhay Elementary schools at the end of the school year, a decision officials say will save the district approximately $3 million, cutting its projected deficit in half.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of2,481
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
WI DAD

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2012

Judged:

I've lived in WI for a long time & have seen alot but nothing like this. My wife told me about the woman from the boe who came to her meeting and went on the record with the ladies saying she was voting for Oquenok and Kirdahy to close. The woman was the one who had the final vote last night.
What kind of person looks there neighbors in the eyes and lies to them?
Not in the district

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2012

Judged:

Wait until you see what is next! Now they will adjust the class sizes up since the buildings only have so many classrooms plus they need to reduce costs. bam tons of teachers gone. Big victory for the tax pac'ers.
Seen it all

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2012

Wow, WI Dad, where have you been? This is just more of the same. Political climbers who work the system, play the people, climb over people to get what they want and do not give a darn about the innocent children, unless it's to help them in their political aspirations, really I have seen it all!
Seen it all 2

Amityville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2012

Judged:

Now she's in hiding because she's the most hated woman in WI.RESIGN YOUR SEAT ON THE BOARD ANNMARIE LAROSA!
seen it all

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2012

There is plenty of blame to go around!
post here

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2012

Judged:

I was sick of watching peoples posts deleted eleswhere for no good reason. Yes, the money is getting tighter. Kids FIRST!
WI DAD

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2012

Judged:

I feel bad for the special ed kids. Couple of years ago they started teaching the special ed kids in classes at my sons school. That Larossa woman took the credit and kept told everyone how much is was going to help the kids. Now she threw them away and doesn't care where they go or if they get help. Guess she just wanted to use those poor kids and there parents to get publicity for herself. How do you throw away special ed kids?
seen it all

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2012

Judged:

Special ed kids must have predictability in their lives. Education for them is difficult enough. I'm normal so don't ask me to try to figure out crazy, it doesn't compute with me. This whole fiasco doesn't make sense to me. I don't know how these people can look at any community member in the face and not feel stupid for what has taken place. I know they wanted to put some ridiculous study group together so that the community shared in the "process" which was a facade. The only thing that makes sense to me is to have closed one of the two middle schools. The fact that we are paying more money for two middle schools to stay open continues to demonstrate a blatant disregard for the younger children,the special ed children and the tax payers wallot.
pay attn

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2012

Post $ information online. Maybe we won't be so blindsided next time.
cathy

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2012

Judged:

seen it all wrote:
Special ed kids must have predictability in their lives. Education for them is difficult enough. I'm normal so don't ask me to try to figure out crazy, it doesn't compute with me. This whole fiasco doesn't make sense to me. I don't know how these people can look at any community member in the face and not feel stupid for what has taken place. I know they wanted to put some ridiculous study group together so that the community shared in the "process" which was a facade. The only thing that makes sense to me is to have closed one of the two middle schools. The fact that we are paying more money for two middle schools to stay open continues to demonstrate a blatant disregard for the younger children,the special ed children and the tax payers wallot.
I was under the immpression the middle school kids were too many now for one MS.
Jessica Horvath

Central Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2012

Judged:

cathy wrote:
<quoted text>I was under the immpression the middle school kids were too many now for one MS.
Not if they took the 6th grade back to the elementary school and only had 7th and 8th in the middle school. Then every building is operating efficiently and isn't overcrowded.....
able minded

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2012

Judged:

Jessica Horvath wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if they took the 6th grade back to the elementary school and only had 7th and 8th in the middle school. Then every building is operating efficiently and isn't overcrowded.....
But that would be common sense and we can't have any of THAT in this town, can we.
Teacher Union

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2012

Judged:

So long as I get paid for 365 days a year and only work 180, you can all go scratch! HA HA HA!
able minded

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2012

Teacher Union wrote:
So long as I get paid for 365 days a year and only work 180, you can all go scratch! HA HA HA!
Obviously someone who is oblivious to what this blog's subject is!
Cathy

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2012

Does anyone have any ideas where the other 3 mil is coming from?
able minded

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2012

Cathy wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas where the other 3 mil is coming from?
It's coming from 3 million dollars worth of cuts to the quality of education for the kids of WI.
That would equal all 6 million coming from the kids, no?
Teachers Union

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2012

You have all been bled dry by the teacher's union. Did you know the get extra money if they choose not to take the health insurance?
Your an idiot

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2012

Teachers Union wrote:
You have all been bled dry by the teacher's union. Did you know the get extra money if they choose not to take the health insurance?
They don't get extra. They get a cash payment which is far less than the cost of the insurance so the district actually benefits. Any job makes some sort of compensation to an employee for not taking company provided health.
Sticks and Stones

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2012

Judged:

Your an idiot wrote:
<quoted text>They don't get extra. They get a cash payment which is far less than the cost of the insurance so the district actually benefits. Any job makes some sort of compensation to an employee for not taking company provided health.
The teachers get a cash payment for not taking the health insurnace. A declination benefit that needs to be terminated at the next contract. This benefit is not offered in the private sector.
Cathy

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2012

Judged:

3 million dollars is a lot after school activites. Is anyone willing to speculate where this will come from with a little more detail than "from the kids"? Do we even have 3 mil worth of activites?
Would the budget balance even with 2 ES AND a MS at the same time? This is a BIG LONG TERM problem and this town better stop "swimming down denial".
We have NOT gotten ahead of our rate of spending growth. This will keep happening without STRUCTUAL changes. Guess what? This was a game of musical chairs and we were left standing. Cry or take action to help fix OUR schools for OUR children.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of2,481
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

West Islip News Video

•••
•••

West Islip Jobs

•••
•••
•••

West Islip People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••