Montes Seeks Board of Ed Seat

Montes Seeks Board of Ed Seat

There are 111 comments on the Patch.com story from Apr 4, 2012, titled Montes Seeks Board of Ed Seat. In it, Patch.com reports that:

West Islip resident Glenn Montes has submitted nomination petitions to run against current Board of Education President Steve Gellar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#21 Apr 6, 2012
"Debra" has a new Patch alias:

She's now posting as JAKE ROBERTSON.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#22 Apr 6, 2012
Ray C wrote:
Montes has no experience, no credentials, no qualifications that would make people pick him over Gellar. He is just going to throw a bunch of BS out there hoping for a voting miracle.
What's Geller's experience and credentials again?
Rudy

West Islip, NY

#23 Apr 8, 2012
Montes won't win!!!
Rudy

West Islip, NY

#24 Apr 8, 2012
He is a child
No Good Deed

Brentwood, NY

#25 Apr 8, 2012
He has my vote wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need a pair of Rose colored glasses, if you take yours off, you will see the reality for what it is. We have decided to close two elementary schools, that in and of itself is by far worse than half day kindergarten and some middle school sports or JV sports being cut, and no I don't buy the Newsday.
Clearly you already own a pair of Rose colored glasses if you think keeping two half empty schools open was the right thing to do name of the taxpayer. We all have our priorities, yours clearly states that empty schools are better than full day kindergarden and middle school sports. Me, I would rather have programs than buildings. Sorry, buildings will not help my child in the future; programs definately will. And BTW, JV sports was cut last year. And before you say anything that would make you look silly, the reason it was cut is because there was no one to play as all of the surrounding school districts cut their programs.
No Good Deed

Brentwood, NY

#26 Apr 8, 2012
More rhetoric wrote:
More rhetoric. Our district is not in any other position that every other school distinct is in. The funding of public school education on long island has never been equitable. Period. How many administrators do we currently have? How many staff members do they oversee? How many students are they responsible for? Double they number of parents they may communicate with.
Specifically what pet programs do you refer to? The dance program, that brought out people to request the boe keep it? The boces classes like personal training at 12k a pop, that the district is eliminating and being criticized for? The high potential program at the elementary schools that brought parents out in droves to request its retention? The ib program that has redefined higher order thinking skills and work ethic at the high school?
And so, you contend that the district should not have completed projects to our buildings but rather let the infrastructure deteriorate? Even though the completion of these projects was a proposal voted on by our community who wanted the projects completed and was structured in a way that 70% of the work was reimbursed by the state in excl aide? As well, it maintains one revenue source we may be ale o capitalize on?
Have you looked at the protected class szes for next year? Some are actually smaller then this year. Overall average class sizes are probably one of the lowest you will find anywhere.
So really everything you lam is pretty much based in fiction. Get your facts straight.
Coulnd't have said it better myself! Great Post
He has my vote

West Islip, NY

#27 Apr 9, 2012
No Good Deed wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly you already own a pair of Rose colored glasses if you think keeping two half empty schools open was the right thing to do name of the taxpayer. We all have our priorities, yours clearly states that empty schools are better than full day kindergarden and middle school sports. Me, I would rather have programs than buildings. Sorry, buildings will not help my child in the future; programs definately will. And BTW, JV sports was cut last year. And before you say anything that would make you look silly, the reason it was cut is because there was no one to play as all of the surrounding school districts cut their programs.
First off "no good deed" (flatter yourself much?) I wasn't referring to WI, the comment was in reference to East Islip, which I stated I didn't read the article mentioned in Newsday. I did opine however what my priorities would be.
Also, I'll say it again, since you can't seem to wrap your head around the statement. ONLY UNTIL there was no money left, spent on your friends new positions and stupid redundant programs, among other costly things, did the terminology change. It went from being boasted about with "smaller class sizes" (formerly an attractive and desirable bragging right) to "half empty and under utilized schools". You and your back handsprings won't change that fact, even though you're tying yourselves into a pretzel to do just that. You can't hide anymore, your MISDEEDS are exposed.
He has my vote

West Islip, NY

#28 Apr 9, 2012
No Good Deed is a perfect, I mean, an absolutely awesome self analysis of you, and even some of your contemporaries. Thanks for being honest. NO GOOD DEED, or MISDEED, same difference.
reader

New York, NY

#29 Apr 9, 2012
below is a direct quote from mr. montes from one year ago from his blog"why i will vote no" on the budget. Make no mistake, this is what this man stands for.

•I will not be frightened into voting yes by talk of doomsday and fear mongering by others. Cuts are necessary and we must accept that as a community in order to gain control over our district finances. We cannot continue along the path we have been on. We may have to endure larger class sizes, cut programs and loss of personnel in order to pay for past excesses in the budget and I am ready to accept that. I hope others will be as well. If they cut an art or music program that we cannot afford in the first place, that program should not have been there to begin with. We cannot afford every program that every taxpayer may desire. In the end we will be a stronger school district for it.
reader

New York, NY

#30 Apr 9, 2012
and more of what mr. montes believes, quoted from that same blog post one year ago:

•Finally, I do not believe we have good schools because of sports, an art program or community access to school facilities.
reader

New York, NY

#31 Apr 9, 2012
and more.... from mr. montes:

it is the BOE's job to manage our district finances responsibly, not cave in to every demand of every person in the town. We simply cannot afford it. Quite honestly, in my opinion it is selfish. People are suffering because of high taxes and some people seem to believe that that is OK as long as their kid can still go to Soccer Club. You want a Soccer club? Have it at your house instead of forcing the other taxpayers to pay for it. This line of attack that also seems to be prevalent among the yes voters is that just because you have not gone to a budget meeting your opinion does not count. That is simply ridiculous as many people simply cannot afford the time to do so and rely on forums such as this to get their opinion out. In this day and age why wouldn't the district get with the times and introduce a way that they can utilize forums such as this for those of us who cannot get to a meeting? Maybe the next time one of you who are able to get to meeting can bring it up. I might not be able to because I will probably be at work or commuting home and would like to spend a few minutes with my family in the evening.
...
He has my vote

West Islip, NY

#32 Apr 9, 2012
reader wrote:
below is a direct quote from mr. montes from one year ago from his blog"why i will vote no" on the budget. Make no mistake, this is what this man stands for.
•I will not be frightened into voting yes by talk of doomsday and fear mongering by others. Cuts are necessary and we must accept that as a community in order to gain control over our district finances. We cannot continue along the path we have been on. We may have to endure larger class sizes, cut programs and loss of personnel in order to pay for past excesses in the budget and I am ready to accept that. I hope others will be as well. If they cut an art or music program that we cannot afford in the first place, that program should not have been there to begin with. We cannot afford every program that every taxpayer may desire. In the end we will be a stronger school district for it.
And your point is?
He has my vote

West Islip, NY

#33 Apr 9, 2012
You aren't saying anything damaging about Mr. Montes. I hope you know that. It makes good common sense, when swallowing that we are in a financial mess, that custodians of the tax payer trust, would go to the core of what is absolutely non negotiable necessities for education and instruction and supply those with financial support ahead of extra curricular. That is where w are, and would not be, had the past and presnt hierarchy kept their fingers on the pulse of our fiancial situation, line by line, if necessary.
Instead they spent like drunken sailors and so we must insist that priorities prevail going forward. It is painful to take away the mainstays, the stuff that was there for years NOW, because some GROSS spenders stepped in and without one shred of concern for the tax payer wallets, ADDED, during a time when they should not have. Mr. Montes is only portraying the current and painful reality we are stuck with, and of course numbnuts like you and some of those ptch commenters, deny, deny, deny.
Sports, extras, while nice to have, aren't a NEED to have when financially we are sinking like the Titanic. Duh!
reader

New York, NY

#34 Apr 9, 2012
no, you are correct, I did not say anything damaging about Mr. Montes, apparently he has done that all by himself. I am simply pointing out who the man really is, what he really believes in, and posting what I believe to be relevant information for people to consider when making their choice. If you want large class sizes, ellimination of sports, music, art, and the loss of the communities ability to use our facilities such as soccer fields and gyms, cafeteria and classrooms for evening events such as girlscouts, boy scouts, WICCA dance, WI dance, and indoor practices.. by all means, Montes is your guy.
He has my vote

West Islip, NY

#35 Apr 9, 2012
reader wrote:
no, you are correct, I did not say anything damaging about Mr. Montes, apparently he has done that all by himself. I am simply pointing out who the man really is, what he really believes in, and posting what I believe to be relevant information for people to consider when making their choice. If you want large class sizes, ellimination of sports, music, art, and the loss of the communities ability to use our facilities such as soccer fields and gyms, cafeteria and classrooms for evening events such as girlscouts, boy scouts, WICCA dance, WI dance, and indoor practices.. by all means, Montes is your guy.
You're full of! He isn't saying that. The real truth, the reason this district is facing HARD CHOICES (which tax payers aren't really getting to make) is because we were led to this place and time. Montes didn't lead us here. You make it sound like he is embracing the terrible nightmare that our district heirarchy lumped upon each of our families. Now that we have to borrow from Peter to pay Paul, now that we have to find money by squeezing it out of our children's activities and education, because of your cronies sinful spending activities, consequently he has made some statements concerning sound spending priorities. It's you who is making those priorities seem extreme, for example, desiring to preserve ES education, which thrives in smaller class sizes, over duplicate sports programs, like the two MS, actually as in carrying two MS everything, as a matter of fact. We all see how you deviantly want to put a spin on this, but you can't do that can ya cause Montes didn't get us into this mess, but your cronies did. Put that in your pipe, with your wacky weed, and smoke it! You liar!
reader

New York, NY

#36 Apr 9, 2012
im not a liar. its all there, in black and white, typed by mr. montes himself for anyone else to see and judge. nothing more, nothing less.
Just Me

West Islip, NY

#37 Apr 9, 2012
We saw family yesterday for Easter from not only WI but other towns on the Island as well as out of State family. This subject came up and a majority stated that they would take 4-5 more kids in their class if it meant maintaining all music, dance, drama and sports programs. These parents had kids ranging from preschool thru Freshmen in college. Very good conversation. Those with older kids said these "extras" that some of you want to do away with are what helped their kids with their academics. The out of state family thought we had an advantage having the 2 MS and the family on the Island who live in districts cutting almost everything bare bones said we are lucky to live in WI. So just another point of view.
He has my vote

West Islip, NY

#38 Apr 9, 2012
reader wrote:
and more of what mr. montes believes, quoted from that same blog post one year ago:
•Finally, I do not believe we have good schools because of sports, an art program or community access to school facilities.
You like to CHERRY PICK don't you? Here is the rest of that statement. You are a total dirt bag!
" I believe we have good schools because of the dedication of good teachers, involved parents who care and people who volunteer their time whether it be to manage a Little League team, write about their concerns on an online newspaper or even to run for a seat on the BOE. We may disagree, but I think we usually disagree for the right reasons…to make West Islip a great place to live and raise our families."
He has my vote

West Islip, NY

#39 Apr 9, 2012
Just Me wrote:
We saw family yesterday for Easter from not only WI but other towns on the Island as well as out of State family. This subject came up and a majority stated that they would take 4-5 more kids in their class if it meant maintaining all music, dance, drama and sports programs. These parents had kids ranging from preschool thru Freshmen in college. Very good conversation. Those with older kids said these "extras" that some of you want to do away with are what helped their kids with their academics. The out of state family thought we had an advantage having the 2 MS and the family on the Island who live in districts cutting almost everything bare bones said we are lucky to live in WI. So just another point of view.
This conversation was evidently discussed over several bottle of your favorite alcoholic beverages, because no one in their right mind and even with half a brain would say those things. lmao
He has my vote

West Islip, NY

#40 Apr 9, 2012
Just Me wrote:
We saw family yesterday for Easter from not only WI but other towns on the Island as well as out of State family. This subject came up and a majority stated that they would take 4-5 more kids in their class if it meant maintaining all music, dance, drama and sports programs. These parents had kids ranging from preschool thru Freshmen in college. Very good conversation. Those with older kids said these "extras" that some of you want to do away with are what helped their kids with their academics. The out of state family thought we had an advantage having the 2 MS and the family on the Island who live in districts cutting almost everything bare bones said we are lucky to live in WI. So just another point of view.
How about keeping those "extras" by getting rid of pet programs, created positions for directors and Asst. Supers and other waste with spending? Your convo was shallow if these were not discussed and could not have lasted more than 3 mins. before you switched gears to discuss your favorite reality series.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Islip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Edward Walsh case jurors say no to government c... 4 hr it gets better 4
News Central Islip park to be the site of veterans h... 4 hr political crap 2
News Dumping case trial date set for ex-Islip officials Wed whats wrong 1
News Bay Shore Marina parking meters begin operation... Wed Why 4
News Islip residents angry over new rules at Atlanti... Wed to bayport baker 6
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Wed Bruser 8,296
News The view from 'Mr. Subprime Lender' (Mar '07) Tue Mjgurl 18

West Islip Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Islip Mortgages