STOP the West Islip Summit Coalition ...

STOP the West Islip Summit Coalition Community Pavilion Taxpayer Waste

Posted in the West Islip Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
MUST BE STOPPED

Patchogue, NY

#1 Jun 3, 2010
Are you mad about how our town, state and country waste the taxpayer's money? Well then you probably won't like this taxpayer waste either. It is NOT needed! It is a terrible idea, it will cause more traffic on Higbie Lane, will cause beautiful trees to be cut down, will cost taxpayers, will lead to loitering, will deteriorate like other projects, and must be stopped:

http://westislip.patch.com/articles/west-isli...

I'm sure Chuck Schumer can find better use for this money!
Bayshore rocks

New York, NY

#2 Jun 3, 2010
MUST BE STOPPED wrote:
Are you mad about how our town, state and country waste the taxpayer's money? Well then you probably won't like this taxpayer waste either. It is NOT needed! It is a terrible idea, it will cause more traffic on Higbie Lane, will cause beautiful trees to be cut down, will cost taxpayers, will lead to loitering, will deteriorate like other projects, and must be stopped:
http://westislip.patch.com/articles/west-isli...
I'm sure Chuck Schumer can find better use for this money!
sure, he can send it to us in Bayshore so we can build another pavilion to add to the one we have on main street, or we can continue to revitalize our downtown area, while West Islip remains stagnant and full of empty lots, burned out buildings, and empty store fronts. Great Idea!
STOP THIS NOW

Farmingville, NY

#3 Jun 3, 2010
Bayshore rocks wrote:
<quoted text>
sure, he can send it to us in Bayshore so we can build another pavilion to add to the one we have on main street, or we can continue to revitalize our downtown area, while West Islip remains stagnant and full of empty lots, burned out buildings, and empty store fronts. Great Idea!
Chuck does not NEED to send that money anywhere for an unneccessary Pavilion. Our country and state is in a major deficit. There is no mandate to spend taxpayer money on this. They almost closed the state parks, yet we should use taxpayer money on this. Definitely NOT!

And the lot there now is not a burned out building or an empty store front. Take care of those first!

If you are happy living in Bay Shore or Central Islip where they have plenty of tax revenue then fine let them build on every square inch they have there. But West Islip should remain being uncongested since we have little tax revenue. Plus Bay Shore is certainly not what West Islip should strive for. If Larosa and Gellar like it so much then they should move to Bay Shore.
a conflict of interest

Bronx, NY

#4 Jun 3, 2010
the sumitt pavilion is to be built on school property. the west islip sumitt coalition needs approval from the west islip school board to build it on school property. tell me if you see a conflict of interest below:

West Islip Sumitt Coalition Committee Chairpersons:

• Beautification and Historic Preservation

Barbara Jones & Annmarie LaRosa

• Business & Economic Development

Jim Alcus & Ray Rendina

• Summit Council

Steve Gellar & Annmarie LaRosa

West Islip School Board:

President - Steve Gellar

Vice President - Annmarie LaRosa

this is why they shouldn't be on every committee and why this is a conflict of interest and why the project should be trashed! they should not run our town
A Logical Neighbor

Bronx, NY

#5 Jun 3, 2010
First off, this project is completely not a need of the community. Hence, with the state of the economy, we should refrain from wasteful spending and utilize our tax revenues for more needful projects such as projects that can create and sustain jobs.

Second, the area to be used is quite tight as is and this project would just add to the congestion. I do not live off of Higbie, however, if I did I would do everything I could to prevent this project from going forward.

Third, these kind of structures often invite unwanted guests and that could jeopardize the safety of the children attending the high school and library.

Fourth, it will further burden the community's public safety.

Fifth, it will put further maintenance demands upon our community and school.

I would like to inquire as to who really wants this project. Of the many needs of this community, this idea was never brought to my attention.

My belief is that this project should be abolished. If and when our nation's economy improves, then we can be more giddy and look to build up the community. Perhaps we can consider using this lot for a science museum. It would be ideal to have a science museum in between our community's high school and library. It would also create an outstanding educational value. Perhaps it will be the stepping stone to evolving some great future scientists from our community. In addition, it can be used all year long and would create jobs. But again, such a fascinating project should only be considered when our economy is strong.

This summit committee must not be irresponsible with our tax revenues and with what we ask for financially from the community. Put your ego aside and abolish this project. Save the property for a more beneficial purpose when the dollars are there to spend.
STOP WASTING MONEY

Farmingville, NY

#6 Jun 3, 2010
A Logical Neighbor wrote:
First off, this project is completely not a need of the community. Hence, with the state of the economy, we should refrain from wasteful spending and utilize our tax revenues for more needful projects such as projects that can create and sustain jobs.
Second, the area to be used is quite tight as is and this project would just add to the congestion. I do not live off of Higbie, however, if I did I would do everything I could to prevent this project from going forward.
Third, these kind of structures often invite unwanted guests and that could jeopardize the safety of the children attending the high school and library.
Fourth, it will further burden the community's public safety.
Fifth, it will put further maintenance demands upon our community and school.
I would like to inquire as to who really wants this project. Of the many needs of this community, this idea was never brought to my attention.
My belief is that this project should be abolished. If and when our nation's economy improves, then we can be more giddy and look to build up the community. Perhaps we can consider using this lot for a science museum. It would be ideal to have a science museum in between our community's high school and library. It would also create an outstanding educational value. Perhaps it will be the stepping stone to evolving some great future scientists from our community. In addition, it can be used all year long and would create jobs. But again, such a fascinating project should only be considered when our economy is strong.
This summit committee must not be irresponsible with our tax revenues and with what we ask for financially from the community. Put your ego aside and abolish this project. Save the property for a more beneficial purpose when the dollars are there to spend.
GREAT POST!!!! EXCELLENT POINTS!!!!

You know they have a pavilion like this in Lindenhurst (skateboarders, teenage misfits, drunks and drug addicts inherit the area). You would think the Lindenhurst-raised people behind the West Islip plan would just go back to Lindenhurst!
Vagabond

West Islip, NY

#7 Jun 4, 2010
A suggestion for the people who posted the previous six posts. You should donate tar and feathers and let the townspeople tar and feather you. You would be contributing something that everyone would enjoy. No cost to the taxpayers.
amen

New York, NY

#8 Jun 4, 2010
Vagabond wrote:
A suggestion for the people who posted the previous six posts. You should donate tar and feathers and let the townspeople tar and feather you. You would be contributing something that everyone would enjoy. No cost to the taxpayers.
best post i have ever read.
pavillions are a waste

Farmingville, NY

#9 Jun 5, 2010
amen wrote:
<quoted text>
best post i have ever read.
then you should get out more to libraries and book stores
Project Must Be Bad

United States

#10 Jun 5, 2010
I'm glad someone let us know alcus is behind this.. It has to be stopped then. Bad idea anyway.
Mike

West Islip, NY

#11 Jun 7, 2010
Alcus is the Co-chair of the youth service's, and so far has picked the spot and was behind getting the 2 architect's. What have you done? I can answer that, you used to coach, but Jim didn't give you a team this year. From reading your hateful post's, Alcus was right again. You must be upset sitting in the bleachers.
Project Must Be Bad wrote:
I'm glad someone let us know alcus is behind this.. It has to be stopped then. Bad idea anyway.
STOP THIS NOW

Farmingville, NY

#12 Jun 7, 2010
Mike wrote:
Alcus is the Co-chair of the youth service's, and so far has picked the spot and was behind getting the 2 architect's. What have you done? I can answer that, you used to coach, but Jim didn't give you a team this year. From reading your hateful post's, Alcus was right again. You must be upset sitting in the bleachers.
<quoted text>
This has nothing to do with the Alcus Little League. It is all about this Pavilion and why it is a bad idea and a waste of taxpayer money. There are so many better uses for this money. That land does not have to be used now, in this economy, for an unneccessary project that will only congest the area further. Stick to the issues and see it for what it is. Also, how did Alcus pick the spot on school property? What right does he have to the school's property other than his connections to people on the board? These very few people that want this Pavilion should smarten up and do what is right with the taxpayer's money and help the community on its real needs.
summit member

AOL

#13 Jun 7, 2010
there are over MANY< MANY community members that are part of the wi summit in one way or another. those are the people who want and conceived the idea of the pavillion. The idea behind it was to create a center of town, that would be used by all community members. Mr. Alcus and Ms. Pfieffer are the co-chairs of the committee that proposed the project. The idea was approved by the coalition, and planning proceeded. this is a multi-step process, that had many people working on it. The money that you speak of, is a grant by federal government used to revitalize small towns such as ours. The pavilion is a project that satisfies the needs of those monies. It is not just a pot full of money that is being given to the community, and used as one group sees fit. It is money for a specific cause that is deemed worthy. It is called grant writing. What project would you write a grant for? what do you see as a real need? You should bring those ideas foward, maybe the coalition needs your ideas instead. Maybe you can lead a committee into the future of the town. Maybe you can volunteer your time to attend work sessions, contact our representatives, let them know we vote!
Mike

West Islip, NY

#14 Jun 7, 2010
Stick to the fact's moron what tax $. Oh ya there isn't any and there is 3 parking lot's there already. If you want to complain about the tax $ it went to all of you in Brentwood. West Islip thank's to our local leader Tom he give's our tax money to all of the other town's we don't get it back in a tax break we pay it they get it thanks Tom. Angie was the best Tom s-----
STOP THIS NOW wrote:
<quoted text>
This has nothing to do with the Alcus Little League. It is all about this Pavilion and why it is a bad idea and a waste of taxpayer money. There are so many better uses for this money. That land does not have to be used now, in this economy, for an unneccessary project that will only congest the area further. Stick to the issues and see it for what it is. Also, how did Alcus pick the spot on school property? What right does he have to the school's property other than his connections to people on the board? These very few people that want this Pavilion should smarten up and do what is right with the taxpayer's money and help the community on its real needs.
STOP THIS NOW

Farmingville, NY

#15 Jun 7, 2010
Mike wrote:
Stick to the fact's moron what tax $. Oh ya there isn't any and there is 3 parking lot's there already. If you want to complain about the tax $ it went to all of you in Brentwood. West Islip thank's to our local leader Tom he give's our tax money to all of the other town's we don't get it back in a tax break we pay it they get it thanks Tom. Angie was the best Tom s-----
<quoted text>
You are obviously the moron. A grant from the federal government is tax $.

The "3 parking lots" are for other purposes. Now you want more traffic using these parking lots.

And Tom stops wasteful spending. Something you don't seem to understand.
Mike

West Islip, NY

#16 Jun 7, 2010
Tom does nothing but collect pensions!!!!!!
STOP THIS NOW wrote:
<quoted text>
You are obviously the moron. A grant from the federal government is tax $.
The "3 parking lots" are for other purposes. Now you want more traffic using these parking lots.
And Tom stops wasteful spending. Something you don't seem to understand.
STOP THIS NOW

Farmingville, NY

#17 Jun 7, 2010
there are over MANY< MANY community members that are part of the wi summit in one way or another. those are the people who want and conceived the idea of the pavillion.....THEN THEY SHOULD PAY FOR IT ALL THEMSELVES OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKETS. THEN WE'LL REALLY SEE HOW NEEDED IT IS.

The idea behind it was to create a center of town, that would be used by all community members.....USED HOW EXACTLY? HOW IS IT JUSTIFIED AS A NEED? AND WHO WANTS TO CREATE THE CENTER OF TOWN SMACK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HIGH SCHOOL, ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AND LIBRARY?

Mr. Alcus and Ms. Pfieffer are the co-chairs of the committee that proposed the project.....ALCUS????

The idea was approved by the coalition, and planning proceeded.....BUT NOT THE COMMUNITY. YOU LIKE TO THINK THE COALITION REPRESENTS THE THINKING OF EVERYONE BUT IT DOES NOT.

this is a multi-step process, that had many people working on it.....HOW MANY OF THE 40,000 PEOPLE IN OUR TOWN?

The money that you speak of, is a grant by federal government used to revitalize small towns such as ours. The pavilion is a project that satisfies the needs of those monies. It is not just a pot full of money that is being given to the community, and used as one group sees fit. It is money for a specific cause that is deemed worthy.....IT IS TAX MONEY. AND HOW DOES THIS REVITALIZE OUR COMMUNITY EXACTLY? TAKE CARE OF THE EMPTY STORES AND UNKEPT LOTS FIRST. BUT WAIT UNTIL THE ECONOMY TURNS AROUND. AND DO WE HAVE TO SATSIFY THE NEED OF THOSE MONIES? NO, IT IS THIS RIDICULOUS THINKING THAT PUTS US DEEP IN DEBT AND IN THE RED. AND AGAIN I ASK, HOW IS THIS A NEED?

It is called grant writing. What project would you write a grant for? NOTHING EXCEPT JOB CREATORS AND SUSTAINERS. RIGHT NOW WE SHOULD NOT BE ASKING FOR NON-NECESSITIES

what do you see as a real need? GET THE WASTEFUL SPENDERS OUT OF HERE AND GET SOME REAL SUSTAINING BUSINESS.

You should bring those ideas foward, maybe the coalition needs your ideas instead. Maybe you can lead a committee into the future of the town. Maybe you can volunteer your time to attend work sessions, contact our representatives, let them know we vote!....OK
STOP THIS NOW

Farmingville, NY

#18 Jun 7, 2010
Mike wrote:
Tom does nothing but collect pensions!!!!!!
<quoted text>
Put in your time and you might get a pension too.
Elmer Fudd

West Islip, NY

#19 Jun 7, 2010
Seems like someone has been wery wery busy writing some wery wery bad things. Someone needs to get out of their hole and face the consequences of being wery wery mean.
Mike

West Islip, NY

#20 Jun 7, 2010
Angie put in her time and did a great job for our community and still does and has a list of accomplishment's to be proud of now here is Tom Baraga's

1) I collect a state pension

2) I collect an Islip town pension

3) I am working on a county pension
STOP THIS NOW wrote:
<quoted text> Put in your time and you might get a pension too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Islip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 4 hr Bruser 8,314
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 21 hr Bruser 2,649
News Islip OKs tax breaks for B & S Fragrances & Cos... Fri true independent 1
News Cops: Massapequa builder bilks customer out of ... (Nov '07) Fri nancys 147
News Islip, citing finances, moves on $10M in bonds ... Jul 18 rabid tabby 7
News Bay Shore Marina parking meters begin operation... Jul 18 rabid tabby 9
Joseph Nicols D.D. S. *** STAY CLEAR OF HIM *** (Jul '09) May '16 Brig Master 19

West Islip Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

West Islip Mortgages